PDA

View Full Version : HEY WOAI! Lemme synchronize your broadcast with TV.

SouthernFried
05-11-2005, 04:08 PM
That 1 second delay is sorta a pain when your watching TV. I'm a musician, and have several "delay" boxes that could help with this.

I'd think you'd at least double your audience. TNT commentors are horrible, and SEAN is one of the best to ever do it. Everyone in San Antonio would prefer listening to ya'll and SEAN...it's just that little "delay" thing that is stopping many.

I'll bring my delay machines, and just run your audio through them. Wet or dry...doesn't matter, we can add the delay most anywhere in the audio chain.

Of course, I'd need to sit courtside just to make sure...uh, that the lights are on and stuff. Tres technical dontchaknow.

Slomo
05-11-2005, 04:13 PM
That 1 second delay is sorta a pain when your watching TV. I'm a musician, and have several "delay" boxes that could help with this.

I'd think you'd at least double your audience. TNT commentors are horrible, and SEAN is one of the best to ever do it. Everyone in San Antonio would prefer listening to ya'll and SEAN...it's just that little "delay" thing that is stopping many.

I'll bring my delay machines, and just run your mics through them. Wet or dry...doesn't matter.

Of course, I'd need to sit courtside just to make sure...uh, that the lights are on and stuff. Tres technical dontchaknow.
Explain it a little more: Is the audio from WOAI late or early?

SouthernFried
05-11-2005, 04:17 PM
The Audio is early...mebbe a second or so. Be a breeze to delay the audio that much to synchronize it with tv.

Hell, if I can't get WOAI to accept my extremely generous offer (2 courside seats, helluvadeal)...I'll prolly just do it on my home system. Just run an audio out from the radio to my PA...then add delay.

MadDog73
05-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Why the Hell not!? I was just thinking why I was not excited last night as I usually am after a Spurs win, and I realized, the damn commentators put me to sleep!

PLEASE WOAI do this! Do it for the children!

Kori Ellis
05-11-2005, 04:20 PM
The timing of the delays on radio are regulated, it's not something they can just adjust.

SouthernFried
05-11-2005, 04:23 PM
I freakin' knew it...it's another damn conspiracy.

MadDog73
05-11-2005, 04:27 PM
The timing of the delays on radio are regulated, it's not something they can just adjust.

figures. Still, it might be worth Clear Channel (owner of WOAI, correct?) or whoever owns WOAI to FIGHT that rule. Why would a LONGER game delay be opposed by the government? It sure would be nice to have some decent commentary during a game, and, oh I don't know, information about what is actually going on then discussing "racism in America" during a damn Spurs game!

SouthernFried
05-11-2005, 04:30 PM
I bet it's an NBA regulation...to FORCE innocent freedom loving American Citizens to listen to John Thomspon.

God knows, nobody would if they had a choice.

It's communism I tell ya.

oiboyz
05-11-2005, 04:33 PM
I like audio that's one second early; it lets you know in advance if a shot is going to be good. :) And because commentators need a certain amout of reaction time, making the audio earlier means that their comments on the passing scene are more in sync with what's actually happening on screen.

I remember listening to Chick Hearn on radio while watching the Lakers/Kings 2002 classic. He sounded like a prescient god, always calling the free throws good or bad as soon as they left the player's hand. :lol

MadDog73
05-11-2005, 04:35 PM
It drives me crazy. Manu pulls a fast break, and the announcer is already saying it's good or bad before he even gets to the basket! :cuss

tlongII
05-11-2005, 04:40 PM
NBA conspiracies suck.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-11-2005, 04:41 PM
If you have tivo, you can delay the game a few seconds, so its in sync with the radio.

Slomo
05-11-2005, 04:46 PM
If you have tivo, you can delay the game a few seconds, so its in sync with the radio.
If the video is already late - why would you delay if further? And the other way around is impossible.

Dre_7
05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
I bet it's an NBA regulation...to FORCE innocent freedom loving American Citizens to listen to John Thomspon.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Dre_7
05-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Just do what I do when I get sick Of John Thompson, bump some hardcore hip hop!

Especialy during a game lijke last nights.

Horry For 3!
05-11-2005, 05:55 PM
I always watch it and listen to Sean whenever I can. I hate most of the commentators, they say stupid shit.

Spurs R Us
05-11-2005, 06:27 PM
What's weird is I was talking to my sis who lives in SA during Sunday's game and she was watching it on TNT. I live in College Station and I was also watching it on TNT and her feed was about 3 seconds ahead of mine. I was yelling on a dunk and she said, "That happened a while ago!" Kind of strange

rwb
05-11-2005, 10:50 PM
I would LOVE to be able to listen to Bill Schoening (sp?) instead of the useless commentators on TV. John Thompson has been especially bad. Spurs Radio is definitely the way to go for exciting play by play. There IS no play by play on TV...just mindless blah blah blah blah blah interspersed with promos.

Spurbanana
05-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Be like me and cancel the cable subscription and just listen to the radio :lol

SequSpur
05-12-2005, 12:35 AM
Radio is delayed just in case someone drops an F bomb, it can be immediately deleted.

Spurbanana
05-12-2005, 12:59 AM
The announcer is gonna drop an Fbomb???

okayyyy...

JustSpurs
05-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Few Years back I heard Sir. Charles drop a quick 3 F-bombs during a playoff game(when he was playing)...Since then it's been on delay.

polandprzem
05-12-2005, 02:16 AM
I just have sound on that WOAI 'videos'.
I do not know what happened. I use to have the vision before my comp broke down. Now everything should be okay.
Is not

travis2
05-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Radio is delayed just in case someone drops an F bomb, it can be immediately deleted.

Yes, but the point is that the radio delay is less than the TV delay. If you listen to WOAI audio over TNT video, Bill Shoening's call will anticipate every play on TV. To sync them up, radio needs more delay.

scott
05-12-2005, 07:35 AM

I don't think SouthernFried is referring to the regulated delay that is used as a buffer to prevent obscenities.

The radio comes over a hair faster simply because it doesn't have to bounce off a bunch of satellites like the national TV broadcast does.

Slomo
05-12-2005, 07:57 AM
I don't think SouthernFried is referring to the regulated delay that is used as a buffer to prevent obscenities.

The radio comes over a hair faster simply because it doesn't have to bounce off a bunch of satellites like the national TV broadcast does. Actually the satelites bounce are irrelevant (radio waves travel at the speed of light so those distances are just too small to make a noticeable impact). What actually happens is that in order for the different broadcasters in the transmission chain to be able to mix the picture with other pictures (like graphics and stuff) they need to synchronize the signals in the whole broadcast facility - you can only do that by delaying the external feed (ie pics coming from the bball arena) to match your in-house master sync using so called frame synchronizers. The delay depends on how many such facilities there are in between the basketball court and your house.

Typical minimum: OB Van -> Host broadcaster -> Satelite uplink facility -> local cable/sat operater ->your TV set. In that scenario the signal would have been delayed three times.