PDA

View Full Version : "Say hello to my little friend!"(Seattle Times)

Eddy from Austin
05-11-2005, 04:19 PM
"Say hello to my little friend!"(Seattle Times)
http://img64.echo.cx/img64/3521/hellomlf9dx.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - Page updated at 12:20 a.m.

Spurs easily win backcourt battle

By Greg Bishop

Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2002270615_soniside11.html) staff reporter

SAN ANTONIO — Because teammates of Tim Duncan have bestowed him the nickname "Scarface" for the cut that runs underneath his right eye, he can now shout out a famous line from the movie of the same name after the Spurs backcourt again dominated their Sonics counterpart in Game 2.

"Say hello to my little friend!"

He could say that about Tony Parker, the Spurs' pint-sized point guard, after he outscored every player on the floor in a Game 1 victory. He can say that about Manu Ginobili, the Spurs' spindly shooting guard who dropped 28 points last night. And he can say that about former Sonic Brent Barry, who helped frustrate Ray Allen into a "quiet" 25 points.

Little friends indeed, although they pack a larger impact than their height belies.

Parker Ginobili and Barry are the Spurs' backcourt. The three combined for 59 points and 15 assists last night, while opening up the inside for Duncan and again rendering Sonics point guard Luke Ridnour a non-factor.

They are dominating this series — positing problems with matchups, forcing the Sonics defense to adjust, controlling two games without needing as much dominance from Duncan as is normal.

"You saw what they've done out there," Spurs forward Bruce Bowen said. "It's pretty obvious."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich likes to call it "corporate knowledge," and that's the concept Barry pointed to when asked why his current backcourt has outplayed his former one.

The Spurs have young guards — Parker is in his fourth season; Ginobili is in his third — but both have played at least 69 games a season the last three years. Most important, they've played the vast majority of those games together.

"I point to the experience," Barry said. "Those guys have been through so many playoff battles together. The Sonics are left with experience that's hard to match up against."

That's why the Spurs say they can understand what Ginobili is going to do before he even knows what that might be. Ginobili again came off the bench last night, after Barry replaced him in the starting lineup six playoff games ago.

Ginobili drilled two three-pointers early against the Sonics, forcing them to move out and play him tighter. Then he started driving, imitating Parker's performance from Game 1.

Which is funny, because the Sonics collapsed their defense after Parker tore through it, allowing Ginobili the opening outside in the first place. Once he started driving, Parker followed, adding 20 points.

That's the way these guards work, Barry said. When he's needed to play defense — like helping out on Allen last night because of Bowen's foul trouble — Barry can do that. When the Spurs need scoring off the bench, Ginobili can do that. And when they need Parker to assert himself in the first quarter, well, Parker can do that, too.

Ginobili led the Spurs in scoring during their first-round series win against Denver. He led them again in scoring last night. He darts around the court like a pinball, never knowing which way he's going until he bounces next.

Because of that experience, Barry said, the Spurs have a better feel for where Ginobili is going to be.

"We don't ever know what he does," Duncan said. "He puts his head down and goes, and we pray for the best. It usually works out, though."

MadDog73
05-11-2005, 04:24 PM
"We don't ever know what he does," Duncan said. "He puts his head down and goes, and we pray for the best. It usually works out, though."

They know Tim was kidding right? Right?!?

CosmicCowboy
05-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Nobody in the media outside of San Antonio seems to understand that it was a joke.

MadDog73
05-11-2005, 04:33 PM
I guess if you weren't playing close attention to the Nuggets and George Karl you wouldn't. :(

johnny00
05-11-2005, 09:17 PM
"Say hello to my little friend!"(Seattle Times)
http://img64.echo.cx/img64/3521/hellomlf9dx.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Say hello to my little friend!"

Isn't it more

"Say 'ello to my little fren' !!!" ????????

E20
05-11-2005, 10:30 PM
They did the same thing on Little Nicky!