PDA

View Full Version : Doug Collins slups Gasol

arodz
05-24-2010, 01:58 PM
During last night's game, Doug Collins said, at least three different times, that Pao Gasol is the most skilled big man in the NBA. Then goes on to say that it used to be Tim Duncan, but with his age and deminished game, that Gasol is the most talent big.

Someone should've slapped him uspide the head. Hey Doug, it's easy to score and look all world....when NO ONE is double teaming you. Not to mention that he's playing against the Suns, who have NO big men. I thought Doug Collins was more intelligent that this. Then again, he did take the Sixers job.

sananspursfan21
05-24-2010, 01:59 PM
tim duncan with no legs >>>> Pau Gasol in prime

Thomas
05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Enough said...

rayray2k8
05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
:rolleyes

hater
05-24-2010, 02:03 PM
During last night's game, Doug Collins said, at least three different times, that Pao Gasol is the most skilled big man in the NBA. Then goes on to say that it used to be Tim Duncan, but with his age and deminished game, that Gasol is the most talent big.

Someone should've slapped him uspide the head. Hey Doug, it's easy to score and look all world....when NO ONE is double teaming you. Not to mention that he's playing against the Suns, who have NO big men. I thought Doug Collins was more intelligent that this. Then again, he did take the Sixers job.

How did Duncan do vs. the Suns?

DesignatedT
05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
The suns doubled and blitzed duncan on the block every time down the court. they cant do that to gasol with kobe and co. out there. Gasol is seeing 1 on 1 coverage most of every game.

cantthinkofanything
05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Since I can't start new threads, I'll just post it here. As much as Arenas does not eximplify Spurs character, I would sure like to see him in silver and black next year. Any way this happens? Too bad they have the 1st pick for Wall. I'd trade Parker in a heartbeat for GA.

DesignatedT
05-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Since I can't start new threads, I'll just post it here. As much as Arenas does not eximplify Spurs character, I would sure like to see him in silver and black next year. Any way this happens? Too bad they have the 1st pick for Wall. I'd trade Parker in a heartbeat for GA.

I hope that's a joke.:rolleyes

TIMMYD!
05-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Tim Duncan in his prime would have slaughtered Pau in his prime. It'd be so much fun watching Gasol trying to stop Tim. :lol

You could say that Pau right now is only slightly better than Tim on the decline.

arodz
05-24-2010, 02:14 PM
I'd love to see how Gasol would handle double or triple teams every night.

cantthinkofanything
05-24-2010, 02:14 PM
I hope that's a joke.:rolleyes

as bad as it sounds, it wasn't a joke. I'm willing to give him a shot with the assumption that he would be on his best behavior for the rest of his career. Although, it might mean having to bring back Tark to coach. Imagine the all time Spurs team of Tark as coach, Rod Strickland, Lloyd Daniels, Alvin Robertson, and Gilbert Arenas.

But seriously, I'm up for Arenas coming in.

arodz
05-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Arenas is a punk bitch who can only score and doesn't give a shit about winning. Enough of that shit. That's probably why you can't start new threads.

DesignatedT
05-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Tim Duncan in his prime would have slaughtered Pau in his prime. It'd be so much fun watching Gasol trying to stop Tim. :lol

You could say that Pau right now is only slightly better than Tim on the decline.

just go back to the memphis series in 04. Gasol got abused all series.

cantthinkofanything
05-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Arenas is a punk bitch who can only score and doesn't give a shit about winning. Enough of that shit. That's probably why you can't start new threads.

LMAO. Yeah, you're probably right.

Hey, please start a thread about how smart you are so I can reply.
Thanks in advance.

TIMMYD!
05-24-2010, 02:28 PM
just go back to the memphis series in 04. Gasol got abused all series.

The problem is that besides the '03 playoffs, I can only remember from 05 to now well.

Rover82
05-24-2010, 02:48 PM
To say Duncan is better than Gasol right now, IMO, is somewhat homer-ish.

Duncan can still do things and he is still at an all-star level....but I would rather have Gasol right now. At least on the offensive end. He is a better scorer, free throw shooter, etc. The spurs run a spacing offense and he would force a much better spacing than Duncan does currently.

I think that 2 years ago its TD now question, but without his knees and a diminishing offensive skill...I take Gasol as a better player right now.

Though all-time, Pau can't sniff Tim's jock.

da_suns_fan
05-24-2010, 02:50 PM
The suns doubled and blitzed duncan on the block every time down the court. they cant do that to gasol with kobe and co. out there. Gasol is seeing 1 on 1 coverage most of every game.

Sorry to bust your bubble but the Suns doubled LaMarcus Aldridge more than they doubled TD.

cantthinkofanything
05-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Sorry to bust your bubble but the Suns doubled LaMarcus Aldridge more than they doubled TD.

You're stupid. I just reviewed the film and they barely doubled LMA.
Quit making shit up.

HarlemHeat37
05-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Pau is definitely better than Tim at this point..he obviously has advantages like a vastly superior frontcourt with Odom/Bynum, and he didn't have to carry his team in the 1st half of the season for 2 years in a row due to injuries, so you could make the argument that Duncan would be as good with that kind of help, but then we would be playing the hypothetical game..

I don't like Collins, but he didn't disrespect Tim or anything..he said that Duncan is 34 and Gasol has surpassed him due to age and mileage, which is true..

Obviously Duncan in his prime > Kobe or Gasol..

UnWantedTheory
05-24-2010, 03:20 PM
One hell of a 3 minute review....

Dex
05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Present-day Gasol is better than present-day Duncan. Sad but true; the tides of time are what they are.

That being said, I'd take prime Duncan over Prime Gasol any day. And that's even assuming that Pau hasn't quite peaked yet. Watching him now is reminiscent of watching Duncan when he was younger; he's a very cerebral big. But he still doesn't take over games and lead a team like Timmy did through his title runs.

TIMMYD!
05-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Present-day Gasol is better than present-day Duncan. Sad but true; the tides of time are what they are.

That being said, I'd take prime Duncan over Prime Gasol any day. And that's even assuming that Pau hasn't quite peaked yet. Watching him now is reminiscent of watching Duncan when he was younger; he's a very cerebral big. But he still doesn't take over games and lead a team like Timmy did through his title runs.

I'd take prime Tim over every player in the league. And that last sentence is what sets them apart.

cd98
05-24-2010, 03:52 PM

Why would the Suns double a jump shooter?

da_suns_fan
05-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Why would the Suns double a jump shooter?

Ask Jared Dudley. He talked about all of this (Doubling more against Aldridge than against Duncan) on the BS report.

da_suns_fan
05-24-2010, 03:54 PM
You're stupid. I just reviewed the film and they barely doubled LMA.
Quit making shit up.

:lol

DAF86
05-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Remind me who did Duncan face in round two?

arodz
05-24-2010, 04:41 PM
The Suns played out of their bodies against the Spurs. They treated that series like it was their NBA finals.

DAF86
05-24-2010, 04:46 PM
The Suns played out of their bodies against the Spurs. They treated that series like it was their NBA finals.

And how many times was Duncan doubled?

da_suns_fan
05-24-2010, 04:57 PM

Evidently this is the narrative a lot of Spurs fans are going with.

birdy219
05-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Nash mentioned in his post game interview about how they blitzed Manu and Timmy as much as possible. They took their chances with Tony, Hill, Bonner, and RJ. It worked for them. Pau has had 0 double teams on him therefore, he is killing them in the low post. :flag:

TE
05-24-2010, 05:32 PM

Nah shit dude, I had never seen everything go right for a team during the Suns-Spurs series. The Suns probably played the best they will ever play post barkley era. And the Spurs just played horrible, on defense, not a lot of offense efficiency. Just like they say, sometimes the better team just doesn't win (ex: dallas vs san antonio 06 semis)

ducks
05-24-2010, 05:32 PM
they took their chance with tp since he could not shot due to being hurt

hitmanyr2k
05-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Nash mentioned in his post game interview about how they blitzed Manu and Timmy as much as possible. They took their chances with Tony, Hill, Bonner, and RJ. It worked for them. Pau has had 0 double teams on him therefore, he is killing them in the low post. :flag:

I think it's more than the post game. Gasol is obviously the better outside shooter of the two players as well. Whenever Phoenix blitzed Ginobili on the pick and roll Duncan was left open time and time again for the jumper which he clanked a lot. Everytime Duncan took a midrange shot I expected him to miss. His shot has been broke for awhile now. It's flat and rarely looks like it has a chance of going in. Gasol at least has a nice jumper and would be murder on the P&R.

HarlemHeat37
05-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Duncan's shot is a product of his knees..

His shot was actually the best it has ever been in the 1st half of the last 2 seasons, but it saw a massive decline once his usual 2nd half decline began..

arodz
05-24-2010, 05:54 PM

Hey man, come back next week when your season is over. But hey, at least you beat the Spurs. Maybe you could hang a banner in your arena for that.

pjjrfan
05-24-2010, 06:16 PM
the truth hurts. But Gasol was never the guy, he needed a Kobe to get him there, and he still got slapped around by the Celtics in 08, right now though with a ring and comfortable in the Laker's system the guy is a force. Tim in his prime was the guy. He set up everyone, and in 03 and 05 he was as awesome as any big man in the history of the game.

da_suns_fan
05-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Nah shit dude, I had never seen everything go right for a team during the Suns-Spurs series. The Suns probably played the best they will ever play post barkley era. And the Spurs just played horrible, on defense, not a lot of offense efficiency. Just like they say, sometimes the better team just doesn't win (ex: dallas vs san antonio 06 semis)

I know, the Suns were so lucky to not have Robin Lopez for the entire series.

And boy the Suns sure were lucky that Nash took that shot to they eye and couldnt see out of it at the end of game 4.

They just got all the breaks!!! :lol

Mel_13
05-24-2010, 06:32 PM

No doubt that some Spurs fans are creating fanciful narratives to explain away the abrupt end to the season. It is a common syndrome exhibited by sports fans when their favorite team loses.

Quite logical and appropriate that a Suns fan would recognize this behavior, having observed it among his fellow Phoenix fans for so many years.

Spurologist
05-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Collins is just serving you some nice humble pie....Truth sucks but Gasol is the better player these days.

Blackjack
05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
No doubt that some Spurs fans are creating fanciful narratives to explain away the abrupt end to the season. It is a common syndrome exhibited by sports fans when their favorite team loses.

Quite logical and appropriate that a Suns fan would recognize this behavior, having observed it among his fellow Phoenix fans for so many years.

Zing! :lol

blkroadrunners
05-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Right now, you can make an arguble case for the 2.

TwoHandJam
05-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Gasol is talented but I will always remember that he was not even capable of winning a single playoff game when he led a team. He is not and will never be in Duncan's class.

Tp9gospursgo
05-24-2010, 08:39 PM

Cool story bro.

DAF86
05-24-2010, 08:50 PM

Ideas like this one might be the reason why you can't start threads.

poop
05-24-2010, 09:11 PM
put duncan next to bynum, odom, artest and kobe bryant and i think he would do ok too :rolleyes

MmP
05-24-2010, 09:51 PM
It'd have beeen nice to read Doug Collins slaps Gasol

J_Paco
05-24-2010, 09:57 PM
put duncan next to bynum, odom, artest and kobe bryant and i think he would do ok too :rolleyes

Yeah, people seem to forget that Gasol has the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league, plus solid front-court help with Odom, Artest & Bynum. Gasol's a wonderful player, but Doug Collins has constantly emphasized and re-emphasized his opinion that Gasol is the "most skilled" big man in the league. He's definitely highly skilled, but I'd still place Duncan over him even in his advanced age. You see, he actually plays something called defense that Gasol has never excelled at. Plus, the Kevin McHale comparison was totally bogus since McHale had more moves and better footwork in the post.

greyforest
05-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Gasol is a better player overall player than Duncan at the moment from his athleticism, especially on defense. Duncan still has the best post-up game in the entire league, and rapes literally anyone in the low post in a 1-on-1 situation. Duncan will draw doubles in the post for a long time to come.

SenorSpur
05-24-2010, 10:45 PM

If there is a stronger phrase than "HELL-TO-THE-NO", insert here ______________________

Chillen
05-25-2010, 04:49 AM
the difference is Bynum and Kobe. If it was just Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher out there with no other bigs for LA, Gasol would be out of sync. Duncan hasn't had a solid big man playing next to him since David Robinson. Gasol has Bynum down there, so it frees him up plus you can't leave Kobe all by himself. That's why the Lakers are tough to beat, and you add Artest in the mix with Kobe, Gasol, Bynum there you have it. Gasol's game has improved tremendously, more athletic.

Duncan as he is now in that Lakers lineup would be a total monster for them.

fmedrano1977
05-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Gasol might be better than Duncan these days, but prime vs prime not even close. In my honest opinion though, Gasol and Shaq were the only 2 big men that gave Duncan fits while he was guarding them during his prime years.

Booharv
05-25-2010, 11:13 AM
...I can't start new threads...I'd trade Parker in a heartbeat for GA.

Good job Mods. :tu

cantthinkofanything
05-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Ideas like this one might be the reason why you can't start threads.

you're crazy. Arenas will be a model citizen for the rest of his career. Whatever team takes a chance on him is going to be greatly rewarded.
It will be very fun and happy.
BTW, Kori won't let me start threads because she is worried that I might start my own Spurs forum. Not because I make very nice postings.

21_Blessings
05-25-2010, 01:42 PM
lol insecure Spurs fans

I guess Pop "slups" Pau since he called him the most skilled big man in the world. Funny thread.

bdictjames
05-25-2010, 01:59 PM
I can't blame him. Gasol has a wide array of moves right now, and he can dribble too. Duncan's defense and three-point shooting is definitely better, but Pau's overall game gives him a slight advantage.

mingus
05-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Doug Collins literally gets down on his knees and chokes on the dicks of whichever team is up. it doesn't matter the team.

TD 21
05-26-2010, 06:49 PM

I didn't hear the part where he even mentioned Duncan. Think he'd ever do that with his beloved Bryant? Even though almost everyone concedes James is the best player in the game now, how often do they not follow his name up by bringing up Bryant? Bryant's always at least in the conversation. It's as if they feel obligated to do so, but they don't feel this same obligation with Duncan. Yet another sign of disrespect.

Mr Bones
05-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Popovich said the exact same thing a month ago. Only homers would get angered by this statement. Probably the same homers who called Mahinmi "the savior" and thought James Gist was the next Scottie Pippen.

arodz
05-27-2010, 05:06 PM
You can also add Barack Obama to that list now. He paroted the same thing Collins said during his chat with Marv Albert. Again, it's easy to say that when the Lakers are winning in the post season. A talented guy starts playing well.....he's wearing a Lakers jersey....he must be the best in the league. My god, look how much praise they've given Derick Fisher.

manu the best
05-27-2010, 05:24 PM
.. bullshit .. no one can be compared to timmy .. gasol is no where near duncan ..