PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever tried out for the SAFD?

4>0rings
05-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Was wondering if their exam was anything like the exam you take for SAPD? I know it's extremely hard to get accepted as your test scores have to be near perfect plus the department is full of nepotism as there is a lot of father son's in it. Once you pass the test, what is the next step? I read the gov site for SAFD but it doesn't say much besides when and where to take test and fill out application.

bus driver
05-25-2010, 10:57 AM
i had a friend whos dad was a FF and ya if your dad is in, then you just have to get a good score on the test. i think after the test it was the physical challenge and thats is when people begin to drop. at least that is what they told me, but never taken it so only speaking from hear say.

Go For Tree
05-25-2010, 11:37 AM
I dont know if the format is the same as SAPD but the written exam isnt very hard. The year I took it, I scored a 91 and the cutoff ended up being 92. The Dept decides how many theyre going to promote to the next step, which is the physical test, beforehand. For instance they go in to the written exam date knowing they are taking the top 200 scores (200 was just as an example, i dont know what the figure will be this year.). So you wont know what you have to score to advance until the day of while youre waiting in line to get your score.

The best tip i can give you that I wish someone told me before the exam is this. Before the test starts, youll be instructed to make sure you have the correct test in front of you. They will give you a few minutes to verify you have the right number of pages and theyre in the correct order. Instead of using that time to do that, read over the set of questions that follow right after the the picture that you try to memorize at the begining of the test. I know it kind of seems like cheating but beleive me, most all of everybody there will be doing the same. Besides all ex-military peeps get an automatic 5 point bonus on there score so you need every break you can get. Just see those questions so you can know what to look for in the picture. That way you dont waste time trying to memorize something that they dont even ask about.

Good luck on the test. Im thinking of trying again myself.

PakiDan
05-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Well... according to their website:

"Anyone with an interest in or an appreciation of floral design is encouraged to join. Membership benefits include: the ability to purchase from select wholesale companies throughout Houston, the SAFD newsletter Flower Press (which includes information regarding classes, seminars, workshops and other events) and sharing in the involvement of charitable events."

Why would anyone want to join the society for the Advancement of Floral Design though???

Go For Tree
05-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Well... according to their website:

"Anyone with an interest in or an appreciation of floral design is encouraged to join. Membership benefits include: the ability to purchase from select wholesale companies throughout Houston, the SAFD newsletter Flower Press (which includes information regarding classes, seminars, workshops and other events) and sharing in the involvement of charitable events."

Why would anyone want to join the society for the Advancement of Floral Design though???

sooooooo, how bored are you today???

ploto
05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
I think like with SAPD you have to get past a lie detector test.

Go For Tree
05-26-2010, 09:45 AM
I think like with SAPD you have to get past a lie detector test.

I think this is true, but not until phase 3 of the testing i beleive. And a hair folicle drug test. I kind of remember reading something about that years back when I tested.

lil'mo
05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Pretty good indication that you are lazy and unmotivated to find real work and probably equally as unqualified for real work if you have to resort to being a firefighter, cop, coast guard, military, etc...

Besides all ex-military peeps get an automatic 5 point bonus on there score so you need every break you can get.

ROFL, yeah the biggest morons of them all need a head-start wherever they can get it :lmao

EmptyMan
05-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Pretty good indication that you are lazy and unmotivated to find real work and probably equally as unqualified for real work if you have to resort to being a firefighter, cop, coast guard, military, etc...

lulz, there's nothing special about buying for a nickel selling for a dime work brah

Going into the above fields, you actually have to work your ass off in the gym as well. Lazy and unmotivated :lol There's money and opportunity in every field. With the above professions you mentioned, the lazy and unmotivated increase their chances of getting killed.

lil'mo
05-26-2010, 02:44 PM
*Too lazy and unmotivated to find real work for themselves. They want to sign a piece of paper that guarantees them a pay check as long as they take orders and dont ask questions. lulz

4>0rings
05-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Thispego is lil'mo trying to crap on threads. He doesn't believe what he writes.

SourCandy
05-26-2010, 05:48 PM
had a friend try,Been trying for like 2 years lol.

howbouthemspurs
05-26-2010, 09:16 PM
It looks like lil'mo is a little slow so obviously he's a little troll. It's ok, sometimes some people are just too lazy and too unmotivated to do anything else. Poor little guy.

Sisk
05-26-2010, 09:35 PM
I have a buddy who's a relatively smart guy and he's taken the test three times. He was a point off this last time he took the test.

Not an easy job to get

lil'mo
05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Thispego is lil'mo trying to crap on threads. He doesn't believe what he writes.

That's not true. My beliefs are based on facts, sorry you do not like the truths of reality.

lil'mo
05-27-2010, 01:05 PM
It looks like lil'mo is a little slow so obviously he's a little troll. It's ok, sometimes some people are just too lazy and too unmotivated to do anything else. Poor little guy.

You are the perfect example "veteran" that proves my point! :lol Thank You!

4>0rings
05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
So the SAPD written test is the same as the SAFD written test?

Mugshot
05-27-2010, 01:45 PM
So the SAPD written test is the same as the SAFD written test?

yes

howbouthemspurs
05-28-2010, 05:19 AM
You are the perfect example "veteran" that proves my point! :lol Thank You!

Uh oh you caught me! :toast ..I am a veteran:p:
It's ok little guy! One day people will actually care about what you say! Keep going strong little buddy! :downspin:

Sausage
06-01-2010, 11:47 PM
So me and my buddy are going to go register tomorrow for the exam, and we can't find anywhere on the website telling us to bring anything.. Are we supposed to bring anything to registration?

howbouthemspurs
06-02-2010, 12:24 AM
good luck dude

4>0rings
06-02-2010, 01:44 AM
So me and my buddy are going to go register tomorrow for the exam, and we can't find anywhere on the website telling us to bring anything.. Are we supposed to bring anything to registration?
My gf was just reading it to me, it was at some fire station. It's just an application. Go in, fill it out, listen to what the guy says, gives you some study material, and paperwork you need to bring withyou for the exam.... I believe.

lil'mo
06-02-2010, 11:24 AM

nope, these are my real opinions. tbh

lil'mo
06-02-2010, 11:27 AM

CROFL! why don't you call the fire station instead of asking people on spurstalk???? jesus, this is the kind of thing i'm talking about :lmao