PDA

View Full Version : All-SpursTalk Awards

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 12:18 PM
All-SpursTalk: Third Team

After 21 ballots submitted and 315 votes counted, the final tally is in for the first ever All-SpursTalk award nominees. Voters were some of the most loyal, respected and knowledgeable -- both in their takes and knowledge of the whole board -- but they will remain nameless unless they choose otherwise. The objective was to get their most honest assessment without having to worry about any backlash or hurt feelings.

Having said that, there were roughly 30 requests made to posters all across the board, some chose to decline and others either didn't have the time or weren't interested. There was a great effort made to find a decent balance of opinion and a fair representation for the respective forums, and even though a better balance could've been found with a little more participation and a few more ballots, the results proved to be as good and diverse as one could hope for under the circumstance.

Voters were asked to submit their Top-15 posters on the basis of their consistency and quality of contribution for this last year, the 2009-2010 campaign. There were no real strict parameters on what kind of quality, whether it be sports takes, humor or any other appreciated or enjoyable contribution. They were asked to exclude Kori and timvp (moderators, in general) and after 9 ballots were submitted, they were told to exclude myself as well -- the results were proving to show a disproportionate advantage in light of my position, in my view, so I chose to remove myself. As is the case with any vote, the voter was asked to make an assessment and form a view with a good amount of interpretation.

Narrowing the nominees proved to be a much tougher task than most asked believed it to be. SpursTalk boasts over 18,700 members (and surely they're all legitimate and not of the troll variety) that have produced over 4-million posts. To put that into perspective, if every NBA team carried 15 players there'd be 450 in the league; many a All-Star either doesn't make an All-NBA Team or even receive a vote with 18,250 less competitors. So to even receive a vote means you're doing something right.

Now to the vote. Five posters managed to receive at least 10 votes, seven posters received 7-9 votes and ten posters wound up with 5-6 votes. That's 22 posters who received roughly one-quarter of the vote. Because there was no fair way to get from 16 to 15 and just name the teams without a poll, I've decided to have the nominees who received 5-6 votes compete for three spots on the All-SpursTalk Third Team.

That brings us to today's poll: 10 posters 3 spots, it's in your hands.

... And now, Blackjack productions in association with Raising the Bar and the fine people at SpursTalk -- home to sports fans and degenerates everywhere -- present heavyweight history! ... This event is brought to you by the undisputed, undefeated king of rears, Preparation H. Has anal pain and rectal itch left you with a standing-eight? Preparation H: Sit down with your bad self! This pole is scheduled for 48 hours (roughly) and will decide three-fifth's of All-SpursTalk's Third Team. Nominees will be judged of their ability to raise the bar for the board with consistent, quality posts and contributions during the 2009-2010 campaign. In the event of a tie scorecard, initial nomination votes will be the first tiebreaker and an anonymous, random poll of five posters will be conducted as the second tiebreaker, if need be.

Now. ... Ladies and gentleman!

Are you ready!?!

SpursTalk fans, are you rrrrrrrrrrrrrready!?!

Then for the thousands in attendance and for the millions who will view this board . . .

http://www.phillymag.com/images/uploads/photos/articles/38491_article.jpg

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ...

LLLET'S GET READY FOR BUTTHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURT!!!!!

Muser
05-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Blackjack, you make the best posts :lmao :lmao

Leetonidas
05-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Hurray for self-indulgence and feelings of superiority over your fellow ST members! Nice way to raise the bar. :tu

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Were you only able to vote for one person?

Leetonidas
05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
And yes you can only vote for one person. You should set it up so that the members of the "third team" are the 5 people with the most votes.

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm workin' on it. I'm a poll rookie. :hat

Bender
where's HH?

and Blackjack should not have been recused...

TIMMYD!
And yes you can only vote for one person. You should set it up so that the members of the "third team" are the 5 people with the most votes.

This.

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Hurray for self-indulgence and feelings of superiority over your fellow ST members! Nice way to raise the bar. :tu

Damn, that didn't take long. :lol

polandprzem
05-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Damn it's tough to pick one of those guys

Leetonidas
05-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Damn, that didn't take long. :lol

I was only half serious, I know your intentions aren't evil. :lol

wontstartdumbthreads
Is there anyway for write-ins? I want to nominate cantthinkofanything. His posts are always among the most insightful and though provoking. My life is better for having the privilege of reading them.

Blackjack
Hold off on the vote, y'all. I can't find a moderator and yes, you're supposed to pick 3; I screwed up the option on the poll.

Bear with me, peoples. :toast

Leetonidas
^No you cannot write in and nominate your other shitty username, fag.

wontstartdumbthreads
05-25-2010, 12:39 PM
^No you cannot write in and nominate your other shitty username, fag.

Well your mom sure didn't think I was a fag when she was kissing me when I was fucking your dad in the ass.

polandprzem
Hold off on the vote, y'all. I can't find a moderator and yes, you're supposed to pick 3; I screwed up the option on the poll.

Bear with me, peoples. :toast

If you can add to the title of the thread that oit's voting for the 3rd team ... ?

urunobili
:wakeup

duhoh
05-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Well your mom sure didn't think I was a fag when she was kissing me when I was fucking your dad in the ass.

good reason why you can't start threads.

wontstartdumbthreads
05-25-2010, 12:55 PM
good reason why you can't start threads.

It's a good argument. But he called me a fag first.

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 12:56 PM
where's HH?

and Blackjack should not have been recused...

Just to be clear, there were 315 votes and a lot of great posters that had 4, 3, and 1 less votes. But the only way I could really get this thing done was to have a cut off point, which 5 seemed the best to do since there were 22 that received that many.

There were 16 posters that had at least 6 votes. Had there been 15, I could've just named the teams and been done with it -- this is the equivalent to All-NBA and not All-Star, so it's generally supposed to be decided on account of a smaller, respected pool; and there were plenty of quality posters that didn't receive a ballot, as I tried to only get a few of each group, click or whatever you want to call it, so I could get as fair a representation as possible.

I appreciate you thinking I shouldn't have excluded myself but it just wasn't fair -- the layer of douchey residue that was building counting my votes while I asked for people to give me their lists, was just too much for me. It's human nature. You ask someone for their list, you're immediately in the forefront of their mind, and even if you think I deserve to be there, I would've received a ridiculous disproportionate amount of votes that just wouldn't have looked or felt right. Had any decent poster been in my position they would've benefitted the same way by keeping their name in the running.

I was only half serious, I know your intentions aren't evil. :lol

It's all good, my man. This isn't to humiliate or embarrass people, just to acknowledge our respected brethren and their collective efforts to raise the bar; maybe even show some others where the bar is if they wish to aspire to.

As I mentioned in the OP, there's nothing demeaning about not making the top 15 or even getting a vote. Look at guys like Manu and Tony. They're in a league with a maximum of 450 players and they didn't receive a vote for one of the All-NBA Teams, IIRC. SpursTalk has 18,700-plus members and I only gave 15 spots. I'm seriously thinking about adding a Fourth and Fifth Team because it really makes more sense when you take those numbers into consideration.

If you guys are interested in that, let me know.

If not? It is what it is.

sananspursfan21
05-25-2010, 01:02 PM
what about me? i avg. 1.73 posts per day! it's not much but what i do doesn't show up on the stat sheet lol

Leetonidas
05-25-2010, 01:03 PM

:sleep

cantthinkofanything
05-25-2010, 01:05 PM
:sleep

Come on. It was kind of funny.

sananspursfan21
05-25-2010, 01:07 PM

that's disguisting

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 01:16 PM
If you can add to the title of the thread that oit's voting for the 3rd team ... ?

I tried to edit it but no dice.

If you know how to edit a poll, I'm all ears (and I'm suddenly struck by the irony of that comment to you :lol).

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 01:21 PM
All right, people! I gots things to do so this is how we're going to do it.

Screw this thread, I'm making another! :lol

If you've voted in this thread please do so again in the new one -- I'll leave a link in this thread and I'm sure they'll close it whenever a Mod comes around.

Just give me a sec. :toast

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 01:33 PM
New thread open right here, peoples (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155094). :toast

polandprzem
05-25-2010, 01:33 PM
All right, people! I gots things to do so this is how we're going to do it.

Screw this thread, I'm making another! :lol

If you've voted in this thread please do so again in the new one -- I'll leave a link in this thread and I'm sure they'll close it whenever a Mod comes around.

Just give me a sec. :toast

You can't just open milion threads and call it rising the bar

:shootme

:fight