PDA

View Full Version : All-SpursTalk Awards (Take 2)

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 01:27 PM
All-SpursTalk: Third Team

After 21 ballots submitted and 315 votes counted, the final tally is in for the first ever All-SpursTalk award nominees. Voters were some of the most loyal, respected and knowledgeable -- both in their takes and knowledge of the whole board -- but they will remain nameless unless they choose otherwise. The objective was to get their most honest assessment without having to worry about any backlash or hurt feelings.

Having said that, there were roughly 30 requests made to posters all across the board, some chose to decline and others either didn't have the time or weren't interested. There was a great effort made to find a decent balance of opinion and a fair representation for the respective forums, and even though a better balance could've been found with a little more participation and a few more ballots, the results proved to be as good and diverse as one could hope for under the circumstance.

Voters were asked to submit their Top-15 posters on the basis of their consistency and quality of contribution for this last year, the 2009-2010 campaign. There were no real strict parameters on what kind of quality, whether it be sports takes, humor or any other appreciated or enjoyable contribution. They were asked to exclude Kori and timvp (moderators, in general) and after 9 ballots were submitted, they were told to exclude myself as well -- the results were proving to show a disproportionate advantage in light of my position, in my view, so I chose to remove myself. As is the case with any vote, the voter was asked to make an assessment and form a view with a good amount of interpretation.

Narrowing the nominees proved to be a much tougher task than most asked believed it to be. SpursTalk boasts over 18,700 members (and surely they're all legitimate and not of the troll variety) that have produced over 4-million posts. To put that into perspective, if every NBA team carried 15 players there'd be 450 in the league; many a All-Star either doesn't make an All-NBA Team or even receive a vote with 18,250 less competitors. So to even receive a vote means you're doing something right.

Now to the vote. Five posters managed to receive at least 10 votes, seven posters received 7-9 votes and ten posters wound up with 5-6 votes. That's 22 posters who received roughly one-quarter of the vote. Because there was no fair way to get from 16 to 15 and just name the teams without a poll, I've decided to have the nominees who received 5-6 votes compete for three spots on the All-SpursTalk Third Team.

That brings us to today's poll: 10 posters 3 spots, it's in your hands.

... And now, Blackjack productions in association with Raising the Bar and the fine people at SpursTalk -- home to sports fans and degenerates everywhere -- present heavyweight history! ... This event is brought to you by the undisputed, undefeated king of rears, Preparation H. Has anal pain and rectal itch left you with a standing-eight? Preparation H: Sit down with your bad self! This pole is scheduled for 48 hours (roughly) and will decide three-fifth's of All-SpursTalk's Third Team. Nominees will be judged of their ability to raise the bar for the board with consistent, quality posts and contributions during the 2009-2010 campaign. In the event of a tie scorecard, initial nomination votes will be the first tiebreaker and an anonymous, random poll of five posters will be conducted as the second tiebreaker, if need be.

Now. ... Ladies and gentleman!

Are you ready!?!

SpursTalk fans, are you rrrrrrrrrrrrrready!?!

Then for the thousands in attendance and for the millions who will view this board . . .

http://www.phillymag.com/images/uploads/photos/articles/38491_article.jpg

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ...

LLLET'S GET READY FOR BUTTHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURT!!!!!

wontstartdumbthreads
05-25-2010, 01:30 PM
i want to vote for George's diarrhea pants and vsbb

polandprzem
05-25-2010, 01:34 PM
So i can vote for everybody?

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 01:37 PM
3!

There was no other option. It was either allow multiple votes or what I had before.

The voters with the 3 highest vote totals are going to make the team, so I guess it'll work itself out . . .

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Too long, didn't read. I voted for Lurker_23.

You've got 2 more votes, Phila. Pick two other besides Lurker23. :toast

polandprzem
05-25-2010, 02:05 PM
I cheated

Dex
05-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Dammit, do they not have elections in Poland?

polandprzem
05-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Dammit, do they not have elections in Poland?

They do but they cheat also

polandprzem
05-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Soon we will have a new president

urunobili
05-25-2010, 02:18 PM
there's some users here that I'd vote for the 1st team :wtf

polandprzem
05-25-2010, 02:21 PM

You stole my thought

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 03:27 PM

It's tough. And it's not going to get much easier with the next vote; it really is encouraging once you see how many quality posters there are here, though.

They do but they cheat also

:lmao

jaffies
05-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Solid D = All-ST 1st team

edit:
shit... most of this list is 1st team All-ST!

[/kissing ass for votes]

urunobili
05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Solid D = All-ST 1st team

that's what I meant... he ain't no third stringer on here... it's unfair for the rest of the nominees if he's on this ballot... :downspin:

Bender
05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Solid D doesn't post much anymore, unfortunately... wish he did though

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 03:49 PM
I don't know what to tell y'all. Solid got much respect here, he just didn't receive quite as many votes as the others did for this year.

Again, it's only going to get tougher and I really don't have much of a problem with the individuals that will fight for Second and First Teams. It's stacked.

Wait until I release the final results and you see the type of people that just missed the cut or that only received one, and in some cases, no votes. The voters were instructed to vote solely on the contributions for this past year and they really seemed to; I didn't see a whole lot of reputation votes for people that haven't been around as much.

And jaffies ... yoooooou da man! :lol

rjv
05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
i'm going to have to start paying more attention to the the user names of posters.

cantthinkofanything
05-25-2010, 04:09 PM
You stole my thought

charge him with petty theft

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Blackjack, you make the best posts :lmao :lmao

Muser, you make the best posts (and thanks for the lesson, jaffies: Toot, toot! :D)

polandprzem
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
You guys need Vaseline?

baseline bum
05-25-2010, 04:44 PM
I voted for Solid D and jaffies, but they really belong on the second team at worst.

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Sure. I'm always down for free stuff. :tu

polandprzem
05-25-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm going to sleep

2nd half of a day made my day a bit.

2morrow I need to bounce back and hopefully for good.

Cya

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 04:54 PM
I voted for Solid D and jaffies, but they really belong on the second team at worst.

I haven't voted, nor am I going to because of my position, but I received 21 lists of 15 and this is what I got. It ain't perfect and to see jaffies and Solid D landing on the Third Team doesn't look right, but it's a testament to the depth of talent more than a slight to them.

Had I only asked old-school posters for lists, they no doubt would've been higher; and it's a good possibility if I get the roughly 10 other lists I requested they'd have ended up higher. But it is what it is.

The 12 remaining posters are definitely worthy nominees.

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm going to sleep

2nd half of a day made my day a bit.

2morrow I need to bounce back and hopefully for good.

Cya

Good to hear. :tu

You need to get right. I've gots to know The Poland Perspective. :hungry:

Johnson
05-25-2010, 06:17 PM
do they have perspectives in Poland?

Chieflion
05-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I need Blackjack here to explain. These 3 people voted would then round up the top 15. Is there something I am missing here? For your information, I haven't voted yet.

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 07:30 PM
I need Blackjack here to explain. These 3 people voted would then round up the top 15. Is there something I am missing here? For your information, I haven't voted yet.

From the failed, original thread:

Just to be clear, there were 315 votes and a lot of great posters that had 4, 3, 1 or no votes. But the only way I could really get this thing done was to have a cut off point, which 5 seemed the best to do since there were 22 that received that many.

There were 16 posters that had at least 6 votes. Had there been 15, I could've just named the teams and been done with it -- this is the equivalent to All-NBA and not All-Star, so it's generally supposed to be decided on account of a smaller, respected pool; and there were plenty of quality posters that didn't receive a ballot, as I tried to only get a few of each group, click or whatever you want to call it, so I could get as fair a representation as possible.

To address your question more directly: Yes, these three will be placed on the Third Team. The poll was designed to give the ten posters with 5 or 6 votes an equal opportunity of making the team and preventing me from having to make an unfair decision as to who would make it; this is the best way I found to find a consensus and honor the votes cast upon nomination, as it was somewhat like All-NBA in that those votes were all done with SpursTalk's version of coaches, players and GMs. Their vote needed to carry weight, in my view.

To those that are wondering why I excluded myself:

I appreciate you thinking I shouldn't have excluded myself but it just wasn't fair -- the layer of douchey residue that was building counting my votes while I asked for people to give me their lists, was just too much for me. It's human nature. You ask someone for their list, you're immediately in the forefront of their mind, and even if you think I deserve to be there, I would've received a ridiculous disproportionate amount of votes that just wouldn't have looked or felt right. Had any decent poster been in my position they would've benefitted the same way by keeping their name in the running.

And to those that are offended or find this is some kind of bad taste:

This isn't to humiliate or embarrass people, just to acknowledge our respected brethren and their collective efforts to raise the bar; maybe even show some others where the bar is if they wish to aspire to.

As I mentioned in the OP, there's nothing demeaning about not making the top 15 or even getting a vote. Look at guys like Manu and Tony. They're in a league with a maximum of 450 players and they didn't receive a vote for one of the All-NBA Teams, IIRC. SpursTalk has 18,700-plus members and I only gave 15 spots. I'm seriously thinking about adding a Fourth and Fifth Team because it really makes more sense when you take those numbers into consideration.

If you guys are interested in that, let me know.

If not? It is what it is.

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask. :toast

Chieflion
05-25-2010, 07:47 PM
One more thing, non-public vote is gay.

HarlemHeat37
05-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Public voting would be cool IMO, but the butthurt would be extremely painful..

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Ideally, it'd be a public poll. But, to be honest, I don't think you'd get as honest a poll if it were the case; some would feel pressured into voting for friends or those they'd want to curry favor with instead of who they honestly believe deserved the vote.

It six in one, a half-dozen in the other. But I did what I thought would give the truest result under an imperfect circumstance.

ShoogarBear
If Mav Fan makes the All SpursTalk team, there will be a matter-antimatter annihilation of the internets.

Bender
so this 3rd team is like runners up...?

seems like Solid and Lurker23 are 1st team, or 2nd at the lowest.

can the "winners" also move up the ranks, or will they be 3rd team for good?

(haven't voted yet)

ShoogarBear
05-25-2010, 08:15 PM

Nice try, butt smoocher.

HarlemHeat37
05-25-2010, 08:23 PM
I really hope 228 makes the 1st team, the reactions will be hilarious, as usual..

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
The winners here will be Third Team. Wait until you see the final results and if you still believe it's a injustice to those who made the Third Team, I'll be plenty willing to discuss about proceeding in another direction.

As of this moment, after taken all of these scenarios into consideration and crunching all the numbers, I believe I'm doing the fairest and most realistic thing in my power to do.

And to Shoogar, this is for the whole board and if they're deemed worthy by their peers, who am I to argue with what team they root for? All I've done is gathered the vote and tabulated. And as far as the lists I've received, it's definitely Spurs fan-heavy and they're the ones that got the likes of Findog nominated.

Yeah, that's right, I'm pullin' a Shaggy: "Wasn't me!" :hat

Chieflion
05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
I think Blackjack should reveal the people he asked to make a list. It would be fair for everyone in my opinion. It is like how we know some of the names of the media people who voted for the MVP etc.

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 08:26 PM
I really hope 228 makes the 1st team, the reactions will be hilarious, as usual..

Three words: mookie, copy, paste.

ShoogarBear
05-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh, I'm not arguing with Findog's qualifications. I'm just saying Mav Fans might be even more very mostest highly insufferablerer if he wins.

If mono made second team, though, I'm coming for ya.

Chieflion
05-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Four words: mookie, copy, paste, articles.
Fixed.

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 08:29 PM
:lol

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Fixed.

i saaaaiiiiidddd

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I think Blackjack should reveal the people he asked to make a list. It would be fair for everyone in my opinion. It is like how we know some of the names of the media people who voted for the MVP etc.

If you want to do an MVP, we can do that. I'm really trying to do this as close to All-NBA as possible and you only usually know the vote total in that case.

And I'm not the be-all end-all with all of this award stuff. RTB isn't even my thing. It was something Kori and timvp asked of us all a while back and I'm just doing my best to help the cause. The whole point of the stickied thread is to get everyone involved and contributing in the best way they see fit. If you want to do an MVP vote, or anyone would like to, fell free to do it to it. Ain't gonna hurt my feelings one bit.

DPG21920
05-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Me losing to Mav Fan on my own damn board makes me spittin' mad. I posted like a dog.

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Don't hang your head Tell 'Em. We've still gots your best events coming up; does Michael Phelps run the 100m?

DPG21920
05-25-2010, 09:33 PM
It's ok. I want to be known as the Jeff Bridges of this board. The most underrated man on ST, the Dude, the man who just tells the jokes he is supposed to tell.

baseline bum
05-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Nice try, butt smoocher.

And to think I had you and SpursDynasty on my fifth team ballot too.

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 09:41 PM
In all seriousness, would you guys like a Fourth and Fifth Team? It's not out of appeasement or consolation, there just happens to be that many quality posters. And if I take the 7 who don't make the Third Team here and add the people that garnered 4 votes, that gives you a poll of 11 to decide Fourth and Fifth Team.

Again, there's a maximum of 450 players on an NBA roster and they choose 15 for 3 teams. SpursTalk has over 18,700 members. Would it really feel condescending or like a slap in the face to be awarded to one of those teams given the numbers?

It's ok. I want to be known as the Jeff Bridges of this board. The most underrated man on ST, the Dude, the man who just tells the jokes he is supposed to tell.

Preach, Duder. :tu

DPG21920
05-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I don't think it matters and this is probably good enough. Then you can do some funny awards if you want to add on.

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 09:46 PM
We're definitely gonna do that. No question. :tu

I've just gotta find out if we want a ROY, MVP or anything else before we get to that.

carina_gino20
05-25-2010, 09:57 PM
I want a poll for ROY, MVP, and those listed on the other thread. I'm loving the drama so far. :lol

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 10:00 PM
I want a poll for ROY, MVP, and those listed on the other thread. I'm loving the drama so far. :lol

I need some criteria and I could use some help with the legwork. :hat

carina_gino20
05-25-2010, 10:28 PM
I need some criteria and I could use some help with the legwork. :hat

Any easy way to find out which posters joined just prior to the 2009-2010 season? Or maybe around 2009 draft day. The thing is, you might end up with a pretty thin list because people are generally hard on rookies, causing them to lurk more than they post (except for the trolls). :lol But I think there were a fearless few who had good takes during the season.

For MVP, I think it would be fair to take it from the All-Spurstalk first team. Just put a poll to increase the drama.

Oh, and not to forget the P<S Photoshop of the Year award, and the GIF of the year award.

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Any easy way to find out which posters joined just prior to the 2009-2010 season? Or maybe around 2009 draft day. The thing is, you might end up with a pretty thin list because people are generally hard on rookies, causing them to lurk more than they post (except for the trolls). :lol But I think there were a fearless few who had good takes during the season.

For MVP, I think it would be fair to take it from the All-Spurstalk first team. Just put a poll to increase the drama.

Oh, and not to forget the P<S Photoshop of the Year award, and the GIF of the year award.

So do you want me to give Pistons < Spurs an award by choosing between his contributions or would you like the award named after him -- which I'm fine with and would want to do the same type of thing for jaffies.

Newton
05-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Forgive me my ignorance, but where can I find the first and second teams?

Blackjack
05-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Forgive me my ignorance, but where can I find the first and second teams?

After this poll is complete, another one will be made where the Top-12 will fill out the First, Second and the remainder of the Third Team, according to vote total.

carina_gino20
05-26-2010, 12:10 AM
So do you want me to give Pistons < Spurs an award by choosing between his contributions or would you like the award named after him -- which I'm fine with and would want to do the same type of thing for jaffies.

It's an award named after Pistons < Spurs. The photoshopped pic can be by anyone, as long as it's within the past year. Open up a thread where you can dump the photoshopped pics without indicating who did it.

ElNono
05-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Wait. I was supposed to pick 3 then hit the vote button? Oh well

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 12:19 AM
I just might be able to get that done after the ROY and MVP. :tu

I've just started scoutin' the rooks -- Jan. 1, 2009 is going to be the date (that way you can just do it the same way each year, should I or anyone else be able to make this something annual for the board).

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 12:19 AM

Can you not vote for two more?

carina_gino20
05-26-2010, 12:24 AM

I think you can only vote one time.

I just might be able to get that done after the ROY and MVP. :tu

I've just started scoutin' the rooks -- Jan. 1, 2009 is going to be the date (that way you can just do it the same way each year, should I or anyone else be able to make this something annual for the board).

If I find some for the photoshops, I'll PM the links to you.

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Sounds like a plan. Or, better yet, just open a thread entitled, "P < S Award Nominees" (or some such), and give everyone a place to submit their favorite photoshops. The more people you make aware of it and get involved, the easier it's going to be to find all of the material; and it wouldn't hurt to have all of it in the same place.

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Damn, that vote's getting tight.

J.T.
05-26-2010, 01:02 AM
My exclusion from this poll must mean I made one of the first two teams. Right on.

Rappin' Pop
05-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Yo, what's up, Blackjack. I want a Rapper of the Year award, rap style.

Listen up, Blackjack, whoever you are called.
I am so sick Washington is gonna get John Walled.
But fuck that shit dawg, I want that fuckin award.
Watch pout if I don't get it, you will be sent straight to that hospital ward.
It is Class D, here ain't no internet access or wireless cord.
So, you gotta put up that poll in the classic blackboard.
Calling me out using a private message.
I am going to lock you up, old school, in a bird cage.
You are pathetic, making this shit ass poll up.
I bet your wife is just an "A" cup.

So, Blackjack, how my ass taste?

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 01:22 AM

Joke-teller, clairvoyant. ... Just Tell 'Em being who he's supposed to be . . .

Then you have jaffies. Created one of the funniest videos on ST. Then you realize, wait, is Hitler really mouthing that? Because I have seen other videos where he looks the same, but is saying other, just as equally funny stuff? What happens if your browser can't play youtube videos or if Hitler decides to stop making videos? Then you are stuck with someone who does not know what to do.

Then you have me, who makes you laugh, but when it comes time to cast your vote, since you are so used to it that you have become numb to the laughter, you just think "oh, I will just go with the people making fluky jokes because I don't really want to think about it". I am just being honest and funnier than the guys I am supposed to be funnier than. This is not a knock on them, but what happens when I am not there to constantly fill the void? No one will be laughing then.

Yeah! What happens then, people!

My exclusion from this poll must mean I made one of the first two teams. Right on.

So ... I'm looking forward to the next portion of the awards. Ya got your submissions ready? :hat

Chieflion
05-26-2010, 01:23 AM
So, how do you settle a tie? Vote again?

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Either by the initial amount of votes I received upon nomination or I'll ask 5 posters that I feel give me the best opportunity to render an unbiased decision.

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Yo, what's up, Blackjack. I want a Rapper of the Year award, rap style.

Listen up, Blackjack, whoever you are called.
I am so sick Washington is gonna get John Walled.
But fuck that shit dawg, I want that fuckin award.
Watch pout if I don't get it, you will be sent straight to that hospital ward.
It is Class D, here ain't no internet access or wireless cord.
So, you gotta put up that poll in the classic blackboard.
Calling me out using a private message.
I am going to lock you up, old school, in a bird cage.
You are pathetic, making this shit ass poll up.
I bet your wife is just an "A" cup.

So, Blackjack, how my ass taste?

Sorry, Pop. I missed your flow.

After I get out of that bird cage you're going to put me in old-school style, I'll see what can be done about your request.

Toodles, yo! :hat

polandprzem
05-26-2010, 04:42 AM

No worries I voted for you :tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-26-2010, 06:52 AM
Everyone in the poll is a great poster - kudos to all. :tu

Oh, and I agree with baseline that Solid_D is definitely first team, but I also understand Blackjack's process and his commitment to fairness in that process.

We also must recognise that ST has changed markedly in the last two years, and some of the great posters who are foundational members of this community don't post much any more or tend to hang out on the other forums these days.

ElNono
05-26-2010, 07:59 AM

No, I only selected one and clicked vote, since the options looked like radio buttons on the iPad, not checkboxes. No big deal.

ElNono
05-26-2010, 08:00 AM

Thank you, man from poland! :lol

Brazil
05-26-2010, 09:07 AM
I voted for Solid D / Lurker and Jaffies

Agloco
05-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Don't really understand how to vote on this one. Depends on the category really. If it's photoshop contributions for instance, it's Pistons< Spurs all day.

If it's general all around humor and legendary non-photoshop threads, well of course it's jaffies.

Generally, I like Lurker23 and OV. Solid D is a good choice as well.

Yeah....didn't see this. jaffies and Pistons < Spurs definitely need their own awards. They don't fit into the same category as the others do.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-26-2010, 11:47 AM

That's all fine and good but it seems like you already gave that title away.

I mean, SFIE, yeah he's funny. Especially if you like well scripted humor, like he studied funny at Harvard. To be honest, he is just telling the jokes he is supposed to tell. But what happens in a situation where the teleprompter goes out? .

Just call me Crazy Heart.

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 12:22 PM

Damn, poland, you can't even screw up correctly! The 69 voters are averaging 2.6 votes. :lol

DPG21920
05-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Calmer than you are

polandprzem
05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Damn, poland, you can't even screw up correctly! The 69 voters are averaging 2.6 votes. :lol

With all due respect I will screw like I want to :p:

Fpoonsie
05-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Personally, I think Fin's a great poster, but it just struck me that a majority of the people voting prolly don't get to see too much of his work since few trek downstairs too often.

Ah, well.

I-Ball
05-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Personally, I think Fin's a great poster, but it just struck me that a majority of the people voting prolly don't get to see too much of his work since few trek downstairs too often.

Ah, well.

+1

definitely the best poster among the mavs fans imho.

mrsmaalox
05-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Maybe then an MVP award for each forum? There are gifted contributors in every one, but not that many who crisscross to the other areas.

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Maybe then an MVP award for each forum? There are gifted contributors in every one, but not that many who crisscross to the other areas.

I'm cool with that. Sans the MMA forum, who I don't need a poll to determine the MVP, we'd probably need a knowledgeable poster from each forum to nominate a handful of people -- someone that wouldn't mind removing themselves from the process and was fully capable of recognizing the best candidates, as it pertains to contributions and the "Raising the Bar" theme.

If you'd like to be that person for The Club or anyone else would like to do it for their respective forum, let me know and we'll coordinate something. Give each respective forum their own poll to put up and whatnot.

With all due respect I will screw like I want to :p:

Who and where you put your due isn't of my concern. :downspin:

Viva Las Espuelas
05-26-2010, 04:19 PM
gifted contributors

:lol

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 04:43 PM
VbookieCash For Your Vote

Ruling? Is this legal, and how much backing does VbookieCash have, anyway (ya know, like as it pertains to inflation)?

Edit: Not that I'm interested in such a thing. ... I was just harmlessly curious. :D

Sisk
05-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Soon we will have a new president

For a bad reason.

lurker23
05-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Quite a strong list. As others mentioned, probably even some that deserve to be up on the first team.

I voted for SolidD, Manu4Tres, and DPG21920, but I would vote for pretty much everyone on this list if given the chance.

Pistons < Spurs
05-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Don't really understand how to vote on this one. Depends on the category really. If it's photoshop contributions for instance, it's Pistons< Spurs all day.

If it's general all around humor and legendary non-photoshop threads, well of course it's jaffies.

Generally, I like Lurker23 and OV. Solid D is a good choice as well.

Yeah....didn't see this. jaffies and Pistons < Spurs definitely need their own awards. They don't fit into the same category as the others do.

I agree.

I personally feel that I should not be in this vote. Rather than being part of the All-NBA-Spurstalk inspired theme here, I feel like I'm more of the 3 point champion during All Star weekend. More of a gimmick than a 24/7 solid contributor. I just don't stack up well with the rest of the posters listed. I greatly appreciate the love I'm receiving in this poll. I'm glad everyone enjoys my photoshops. That's why I do them. I'm just feeling a bit guilty for taking votes from people who I think are far more deserving for their consistent takes.

HarlemHeat37
05-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Wow, I have to vote for Pistons < Spurs now, I'm in awe of his humility..

ShoogarBear
05-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Wow, I have to vote for Pistons < Spurs now, I'm in awe of his humility..

Yeah, that was even bigger bullshit than baseline's. :lol

dbreiden83080
05-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Pistons < Spurs

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 11:05 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=107&pictureid=1319

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Pistons < Spurs

That's the MVP of the MMA forum just posting what he's supposed to post.

jaffies
05-26-2010, 11:47 PM
I feel like I'm more of the 3 point champion during All Star weekend. More of a gimmick than a 24/7 solid contributor. I just don't stack up well with the rest of the posters listed.

Same here.

But, if P<S is only the 3-point champion...then that would make me (one of the following):

-a Sprite sweepstakes winner that gets to guest judge of the Slam-dunk competition. (all my scores must be tallied in lemons and limes)
-Jack Haley
-an usher telling BlackJack to politely extinguish his funny looking cigarette, because it's distracting Josh Howard.
-Sequ's booster seat in the FanZone.
-Charles Barkley's lips kissing Dick. . . Bavetta.
-Craig Sager...no, Craig Sager's jacket...no, no...Craig Sager's socks that he chose not to wear that night because they were 'too loud'.

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 11:52 PM
jaffies sure knows how to work a room and he's doing a pretty good job at this poll thing, too (which is the one poll that his dexterity doesn't prevent him from earning some real dough). :tu

Chieflion
05-26-2010, 11:56 PM
I just want to know who made the top 12.

Blackjack
05-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Is the suspense building?

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Looks like a traffic jam for that third spot. I say you break the tie like they do at the Miss Universe pageant: with a good ol' fashioned knife fight.

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Looks like a traffic jam for that third spot. I say you break the tie like they do at the Miss Universe pageant: with a good ol' fashioned knife fight.

Is that how they do it? I always just figured they settled it 'under the table.'

But I'm game. Nothing like a good ol' knife fight. :tu

MaNu4Tres
05-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Well what do you know a three way tie..

Anyway it was humbling being nominated among the competitors. Each were great posters throughout the year.

Congrats to Solid D and P<S :tu

Now as it comes down to a tie, my suggestion is have each competitor share 5 of their best takes/threads made from this past year. Then let the masses decide. Just my 2 cents

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 01:55 PM
If Lurker23 and O_V are willing to do it and respond shortly, I don't have any problem with that. But I need to get the next phase going by next week, so there's not much time.

My rules going into this were that there'd be two tiebreakers in case of a tie: initial nomination vote and an anonymous, random poll of five posters. Since all three nominees received 5 votes, I'm left to go to a poll unless Lurker23 and O_V are down with your suggestion and can comply in short order.

I'll give it until Friday night and if we haven't heard from them by then, I'll go ahead with the poll and announce the winner on Monday. Congratulations to both Solid D and Pistons < Spurs on their Third Team selection. It's both a testament to the RTB mantra and the depth of talent SpursTalk offers these days. :toast

MaNu4Tres
05-27-2010, 01:58 PM
It really doesn't matter to me.

I was just throwing out a suggestion.

Do what you do 'Jack

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 02:08 PM
The way I see it we've got three options:

1.) Carry on with the the second tiebreaker I suggested in the OP.

2.) Find a compromise between the three parties, 'Tres' suggestion would be fine.

3.) Have a one-day poll tomorrow that would (hopefully) break the tie.

I'm open to suggestion and my only goal is to find the most fair solution.

lurker23
05-27-2010, 02:13 PM
I am out of town at the moment, so I don't have time/access to do all the searching and copy/pasting to quote some of my old posts, but otherwise I'd definitely be game. Congrats to everyone involved, I'm humbled to be mentioned among such great basketball minds. :toast

FromWayDowntown
05-27-2010, 04:33 PM
The way I see it we've got three options:

1.) Carry on with the the second tiebreaker I suggested in the OP.

2.) Find a compromise between the three parties, 'Tres' suggestion would be fine.

3.) Have a one-day poll tomorrow that would (hopefully) break the tie.

I'm open to suggestion and my only goal is to find the most fair solution.

The NBA would just have a Third Team that consisted of 6 people. They had a First Team All-Defense that consisted of 6 players a few years ago (http://www.nba.com/news/alldefensive_060511.html) and a First Team All-Rookie group that consisted of 6 players more recently than that (http://www.nba.com/news/allrookie_070508.html).

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 04:51 PM
If you guys are cool with 7 players on the Third Team, fine by me (a lot easier as well). :tu

I'm guessing that wouldn't bother the parties involved?

MaNu4Tres
05-27-2010, 04:55 PM
If you guys are cool with 7 players on the Third Team, fine by me (a lot easier as well). :tu

I'm cool with it. Best solution to me. :tu

lurker23
05-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Nope, go for it. :tu

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 04:57 PM
I haven't seen O_V around recently but I'll just go ahead and go with 7. Congratulations, y'all! :toast

Edit: And did I tell you guys I love me some FromWayDownTown? :D

Mel_13
05-27-2010, 05:03 PM
I haven't seen O_V around recently but I'll just go ahead and go with 7. Congratulations, y'all! :toast

Edit: And did I tell you guys I love me some FromWayDownTown? :D

FWD should be in the inaugural class of the ST HOF.

MaNu4Tres
05-27-2010, 05:05 PM
FWD should be in the inaugural class of the ST HOF.

:toast agreed

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 05:05 PM
You'll receive no argument from this guy. :tu

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 05:36 PM
I've made an executive decision in light of the brilliance that is FWD.

Since this is a Blackjack production I've decided to make it themed as such. Since Blackjack is all about 21 and Vegas can't help but come to mind, I'm thinking jackpots ... as in 7-7-7 across the board.

Solid D and Pistons < Spurs will be made part of the Second Team. The remainder of the nominees in this poll will be named to the Third Team with DPG21920 becoming the alternate -- he was actually one of the four nominees (jaffies, Pistons < Spurs and Solid D the others) to receive 6 votes to the others 5 during nominations, so he deserves to be an alternate or 6th Man for the Third Team (even if it's technically the 8th Man).

That leaves 12 nominees left to make up the First and Second Teams but I'm going to only subject 11 to a vote decided by you, SpursTalk. The leading vote-getter received 13 of 21 votes and since he won that vote by 2 over his closest competitor and finished a clear No. 1, I'm rewarding him with First Team honors. Who that is will be revealed upon final results.

If any of y'all have a problem with that, I'll direct you the new muscle I just hired. Just check the sig. :hat

ShoogarBear
05-27-2010, 06:51 PM

It would bother me if I had to pay out a contract rider for all those guys.

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 06:59 PM
It would bother me if I had to pay out a contract rider for all those guys.

Typical message board GM. Of course you've got no problem spending everyone else's money but become reticent when it comes to you're own pocketbook. Typical . . .

It's all good, Shoogar. I gots this. :lol

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 10:13 PM
I agree.

I personally feel that I should not be in this vote. Rather than being part of the All-NBA-Spurstalk inspired theme here, I feel like I'm more of the 3 point champion during All Star weekend. More of a gimmick than a 24/7 solid contributor. I just don't stack up well with the rest of the posters listed. I greatly appreciate the love I'm receiving in this poll. I'm glad everyone enjoys my photoshops. That's why I do them. I'm just feeling a bit guilty for taking votes from people who I think are far more deserving for their consistent takes.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=107&pictureid=1322

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-28-2010, 11:12 AM
I didn't see the first and second team, but any first team without Solid D on it is not truly representational of the best posters at Spurstalk.

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I didn't see the first and second team, but any first team without Solid D on it is not truly representational of the best posters at Spurstalk.

Absolutely agreed.

Chieflion
05-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Yes, the tension is killing me, Blackjack. Get the list out before I do something desperate.

Blackjack
05-28-2010, 11:24 AM

It hasn't been released yet and the vote was based solely on this past year. Solid D deserves to be part of an inaugural Hall of Fame class (and I'd imagine you'd find your way as well -- the SPAM post this year has to be in the running for POY :tu) and I don't think anyone would be bent out of shape had he been voted to the First Team, but the people voted in front of him are very deserving and worthy nominees based on their contributions for this year.

The Second Team ain't no travesty.

Blackjack
05-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Yes, the tension is killing me, Blackjack. Get the list out before I do something desperate.

I'm conflicted. Would you do it on YouTube?

Chieflion
05-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm conflicted. Would you do it on YouTube?

What do you mean? Can you just announce it by setting up a new thread or post it in the RTB?

Blackjack
05-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Ya know, so I could see it. Some of the most entertaining things come from desperation. :downspin:

Chieflion
05-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Ya know, so I could see it. Some of the most entertaining things come from desperation. :downspin:

Could see what?

Blackjack
05-28-2010, 11:31 AM

Whatever that something is (and read post #116 to see how I'm doing the vote).

Chieflion
05-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Whatever that something is (and read post #116 to see how I'm doing the vote).

I can see that. The vote is closed. So, where is the new thread?

Blackjack
05-28-2010, 11:35 AM
I'll probably put it up Monday. It's the Summer, we ain't got much going on here and we've got a good ways to go 'til we do. Might as well let the awards play out over a little longer timeframe.

Supreme_Being
05-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Where's Sequ?