PDA

View Full Version : An easy Phoenix sweep of Dallas could be a good thing.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-11-2005, 07:16 PM
I know I'm jumping the gun by looking past the Sonics at this point but. . .

I was originally hoping that Dallas would challenge Phoenix and the two teams would play a long, drawn-out, exhausting series.

But the more I've thought about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that Phoenix could potentially get a little complacent if they run all over Dallas in the same fashion they disposed of Memphis.

If they aren't challenged and don't face any tough, playoff style defense before facing the Spurs then they could potentially be over-confident heading into the 3rd round.

San Antonio could steal a game in Phoenix against a team that potentially won't have been made battle-ready by previous opponents. I don't think we'll see many road wins in a Spurs/Suns WCF, so one early series road win might be enough to decide it.

I wasn't sure which way to place my alliegence when watching the Phoenix-Mavs series, but now I know.

Go Suns! Blow 'em out!

I think.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-11-2005, 07:19 PM
good point, but i would still rather have a rested Spurs team, and pop with a lot of time to watch tape of Suns playoff basketball than have a quick sweep. I hope Dallas can make the thing interesting.

T Park
05-11-2005, 07:22 PM
I dont care.

Take care of business with Seattle first.

Then, worry bout Phoenix/Dallas.

But, if Phoenix sweeps, think about their confidence as well.

Also, I dont think it matters.

If Spurs play Spurs ball, slow the tempo, play smart, dont turn the ball over, and rebound, then no team, thats right, NO TEAM, beats the Spurs.

boutons
05-11-2005, 07:22 PM
What the Spurs have that the Mavs don't is intense, withering team defense.

I think the only way the Mavs win one game, max (obviously not by allowing 120+ pts), is if the Suns have a cold shooting game, esp the 3's. But the Suns will outgun Mavs all the other games. 4-0 or 4-1.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-11-2005, 07:25 PM
I want the Suns to be shocked by what the Spurs throw at them.

I know, I know, Seattle first. But that series is already getting tiresome. I can't handle much more Ray Allen.

boutons
05-11-2005, 07:30 PM
"Suns to be shocked"

They got walloped excellently with defense @SBC, and then got wallopped again with Spurs come-back, never-give-up offense @PHX. I'm pretty damn sure the Suns have a strong, unpleasant aftertaste from those 2 games.

The only thing the Suns haven't seen face-to-face is what they, and we all, can see this week vs Sonics, the Spurs at full-bore playoff intensity.

mookie2001
05-11-2005, 07:32 PM
phx will be sitting around thinking how easy the playoffs are
waiting the get stung

Vashner
05-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Na...

It's only a few days... if your making millions of dollars that should not take you off your game. It's up to the coaching staff to drill them hard and also bring in "fishermen" (vactioning nba friends) to scrimmage at practices.

This is why Pop goes into Yell / angry at everything mode on downtime.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Na...

It's only a few days... if your making millions of dollars that should not take you off your game. It's up to the coaching staff to drill them hard and also bring in "fishermen" (vactioning nba friends) to scrimmage at practices.

This is why Pop goes into Yell / angry at everything mode on downtime.

True, but I don't think Phoenix has faced any true playoff intensity yet. I think that's something the Suns will have to experience to understand. Not many of the suns beyond Nash have experienced much of that in their careers.

"Shock and Awe" that's what the Spurs need to inflict in the next two games against the Sonics, and then impose it upon the Suns.

picnroll
05-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Doesn't matter. Easy or not against the Mavs, Suns will be shocked against the Spurs if they meet. That first game they'll wonder where all those transition points went. They'll wonder where all those spot up threes have gone. They'll wonder why everything is coming in the half court set. Dallas may win games but it won't be from disciplined defense taking away what Phoenix likes to do best. It will be because they were able to out Phoenix Phoenix.

Mr. Body
05-11-2005, 08:04 PM
I agree. That game one - in Phoenix - would be a huge change of pace for the Suns. Might unbalance them.

HB22inSA
05-11-2005, 08:14 PM
I'd rather them go 6 or 7 games.

Jimcs50
05-11-2005, 08:19 PM
I want them to go 7 games.

I want SA to have 4 days off.

I want Phoenix or Dallas to be worn out like Dallas was and throw game 1 away...especially if it is Phoenix, as we would then have HCA back.

HB22inSA
05-11-2005, 08:28 PM
I really don't think San Antonio needs the HCA against Phoenix.

The Spurs have shown they can win there already, and almost without either one of their All-Stars.

I'd rather start on the road and steal 1 or even 2 games on their floor.

ALVAREZ6
05-11-2005, 08:28 PM
The more games it takes Phoenix to beat _allas, the better. Some rest wouldn't be too bad for the Spurs.
Also, the more games PHX plays, the more chances they have for one of their starters to get injured.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-11-2005, 08:45 PM
"Suns to be shocked"
The only thing the Suns haven't seen face-to-face is what they, and we all, can see this week vs Sonics, the Spurs at full-bore playoff intensity.

To be perfectly honest... neither have we. This is a team un-like any other team we have had over the past 8 seasons, and the depth we have is...wow. But last year's full blown playoff intensity? Is that the max this team is capable of? Are they capable of that much?

The same goes for next season, the role of many of our mainstay players may change dramatically, and we will have a new dynamic every season for a while, as long as their is talent stored up in Europe

My question is really, what can we expect from this team? And what is full blown playoff intensity for Phoenix?