PDA

View Full Version : New team perhaps for Ian !

ego
05-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Hi,

few minutes ago on RMC-info (french radio), Ian said he was seeking a new
team for next year. He would not stay on the bench behind Tim, Blair, Bonner and Mc Dyess

lefty
05-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi,

team for next year. He would not stay on the bench behind Tim, Blair, Bonner and Mc Dyess
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

hater
05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
LMFAO

good riddance

DesignatedT
05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
good luck yawn

Hooks
05-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Ian>Bonner.

I'm gonna be pissed if we re-sign Bonner. I really hope we re-sign Ian though, he has a lot of potential.

TIMMYD!
05-26-2010, 12:50 PM
I kinda agree with Hooks, but it's not like it matters, he won't ever see the floor even if Bonner was gone.

Mel_13
05-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi,

More complete recap here:

Some news about Ian:
He was today on French radio and talked about his future:
- The deciding factor will be playing time.
- His goal is to stay in SA but it would depend on playing time.
- Spurs said they were happy with his season but they haven't told they want to re-sign him because there are a lot of parameters (FA, draft...). Ian told Spurs still don't know what they will do this summer.
- Splitter will be a factor. If Spurs signs Splitter and Keep Blair, Duncan and Dice, Ian should go. He doesn't want to be the 5th bigman like at the end of the year because only 4 ones get consistent playing time.
- If he has nothing in NBA, he is ready to come back in Europe. However, he sounds confident about getting another opportunity in the NBA. Even if teams aren't allowed to make offers, there are some good talks around him.

For French speaking people, a podcast of the show is available: http://podcast.rtl.fr/podcast_rtl_carrement_basket.xml
I recommend to listen it, Ian is damn well-spoken.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4374930&postcount=93

lurker23
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I think this is similar (if not the same) as the radio interview linked on the Ian thread in the Think Tank. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151016&page=4) I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but Bruno had a nice summary.

Some news about Ian:
He was today on French radio and talked about his future:
- The deciding factor will be playing time.
- His goal is to stay in SA but it would depend on playing time.
- Spurs said they were happy with his season but they haven't told they want to re-sign him because there are a lot of parameters (FA, draft...). Ian told Spurs still don't know what they will do this summer.
- Splitter will be a factor. If Spurs signs Splitter and Keep Blair, Duncan and Dice, Ian should go. He doesn't want to be the 5th bigman like at the end of the year because only 4 ones get consistent playing time.
- If he has nothing in NBA, he is ready to come back in Europe. However, he sounds confident about getting another opportunity in the NBA. Even if teams aren't allowed to make offers, there are some good talks around him.

For French speaking people, a podcast of the show is available: http://podcast.rtl.fr/podcast_rtl_carrement_basket.xml
I recommend to listen it, Ian is damn well-spoken.

Edit: Beaten to the punch again! I'm getting slow in my old age... :depressed:lol

Bruno
05-26-2010, 01:01 PM
I think this is similar (if not the same) as the radio interview linked on the Ian thread in the Think Tank. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151016&page=4) I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but Bruno had a nice summary.

It isn't the same interview (different radio). Ian will also be on a cable TV tomorrow. He said more things on the one I've summarized.

Ian's situation is very simple to summarize and understand: He would like to stay in SA but his priority is to get consistent playing time. If Spurs offers him a contract with the opportunity to play, he will stay. If Spurs don't want him back or want him at the deep end of the bench, he will try to find another team.

DAF86
05-26-2010, 01:21 PM
If he goes to another team and plays reasonably decent, I'll be very upset.

DesignatedT
05-26-2010, 01:26 PM
If he goes to another team and plays reasonably decent, I'll be very upset.

if he goes to a contender and plays well. I could easily see him going to the garbage teams like minnesota or sacramento and do alright. but thats not saying much.

BadOne
05-26-2010, 01:28 PM
I'd only want to resign him if it meant packaging him in some sort of sign and trade. On any other team, he might be a decent player if given the chance, but with S.A. he's a bust. Waste of an 05 pick.

Peace homie!

DAF86
05-26-2010, 01:28 PM
if he goes to a contender and plays well. I could easily see him going to the garbage teams like minnesota or sacramento and do alright. but thats not saying much.

Yes, yes it is. If he proves to be a decent NBA player in a team other than the Spurs I'll be pissed.

BadOne
05-26-2010, 01:29 PM

This...:toast

in2deep
05-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes, yes it is. If he proves to be a decent NBA player in a team other than the Spurs I'll be pissed.

why? he had plenty of chance here. Same as Beno, I was not pissed he did ok in Sacto

DAF86
05-26-2010, 01:31 PM
why? he had plenty of chance here. Same as Beno, I was not pissed he did ok in Sacto

WTF? when?

DesignatedT
05-26-2010, 01:31 PM

true.

Sigz
05-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Ian sucks. Who cares.

in2deep
05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
WTF? when?

see 2007-2010

DAF86
05-26-2010, 01:41 PM
see 2007-2010

Yeeees????? so? I don't know if he acomulates more than three full games worth of PT during those years.

xellos88330
05-26-2010, 01:46 PM
It's a shame. If Splitter comes I don't see Mahinmi back. McDyess coming to SA hurt Mahinmi this year as far as getting playing time.

vander
05-26-2010, 02:02 PM
we need Ian back, he's the only guy we have with a chance to be a defensive presence around the rim. we need someone to turn away those slashing guards

tdunk21
05-26-2010, 02:05 PM
ian is too young to let go....when we are trying to get younger players on the team, it is really absurd to let ian sign with another team....he is young and can easily play backup to timmy like gortat backs up dwight except gortat is much better defender than ian....imo we should resign ian and let bonner walk....

when our main focal point is defense there is no point in resigning bonner and mason coz either cant play defense....we should resign ian as a backup....coz if he goes to another team am sure he will play well.....we have seen scola do that ...we dont wanna see ian do that when we have a chance to resign him...

BadOne
05-26-2010, 03:18 PM
ian is too young to let go....when we are trying to get younger players on the team, it is really absurd to let ian sign with another team....he is young and can easily play backup to timmy like gortat backs up dwight except gortat is much better defender than ian....imo we should resign ian and let bonner walk....

when our main focal point is defense there is no point in resigning bonner and mason coz either cant play defense....we should resign ian as a backup....coz if he goes to another team am sure he will play well.....we have seen scola do that ...we dont wanna see ian do that when we have a chance to resign him...

I can appreciate that concern man, but IMO, Scola > Mahinmi.

To compare the 2 is unjustified. Scola was already making some serious noise overseas before he came to the NBA. Ian was just a young raw skilled ball player. I just think he would've done something to convince the FO and coaching staff by now for him to have received more PT.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I think the only way he gets resigned is if he's included in a deal of some sort.

Dr. Gonzo
05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Why is it so hard for people to understand that a young player need to EARN playing time in practice.

tdunk21
05-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Why is it so hard for people to understand that a young player need to EARN playing time in practice.

maybe ian fucked up big time in practice with the plays to earn some playing time.....

05-26-2010, 03:49 PM
spurs cant let the second coming of david robinson go!

JP le Requin
05-26-2010, 04:20 PM
me too i heard the itw on french radion..and exactly ian said he prefers to play more minutes and IF tiaggo come in san antonio...it will be impossible for him to find minutes behind duncan, macdyess, blair, tiaggo and bonner..so he will listen others teams...
IF tiaggo doesnt come here...he will stay a spurs...
source:
http://www.basketusa.com/medias/radio-medias/34243/carrement-basket-ian-mahinmi-parle-de-son-avenir/

and you can hear it (in french) http://www.zshare.net/audio/7653230046699948/

G-Dawgg
05-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I think if Ian stays, he'll actually get to see the court. With Duncan needing more rest and McDyess likely needing to see less court-time at his old age, Ian will start to log some minutes.. especially if we don't get any help at the 4-5 positions. BUT if splitter comes over or we can manage to sign somebody like A Johnson from Toronto, then there's no way Ian stays a Spur.

SpursTillTheEnd
05-26-2010, 05:23 PM
IAN>McDyess In the regular season

SCdac
05-26-2010, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't blame him if he wants to go. Pop treats him like he's barely on the roster... and the guy was a first round pick. The fact that he only played in garbage minutes, in one of his healthiest seasons to date, had to have been a slap in the face for him. I mean, the guy was HOPING blowouts would occur just to play, why could we not get a player as hungry as him (esp once we let Ratliff go) on the floor more? Despite very few minutes and appearances, when you look at the advanced stats, he basically lead our team in Block % in the regular season and post season.

Ocotillo
05-26-2010, 05:47 PM
I think if Ian stays, he'll actually get to see the court. With Duncan needing more rest and McDyess likely needing to see less court-time at his old age, Ian will start to log some minutes.. especially if we don't get any help at the 4-5 positions. BUT if splitter comes over or we can manage to sign somebody like A Johnson from Toronto, then there's no way Ian stays a Spur.

I think the fifth big could see decent playing time with the desire to limit Duncan and McDyess's minutes.

temujin
05-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Mahinmi will be "young" untill he will finally retire.

tdunk21
05-26-2010, 10:18 PM
IAN>McDyess In the regular season

true but we need him to be better in the playoffs too....

elbamba
05-26-2010, 10:45 PM

I thought he earned playing time when he performed well every time he received playing time.

HarlemHeat37
05-26-2010, 11:09 PM
The Spurs rarely scrimmage IIRC, and Pop said from the beginning that Ian didn't really have a chance to move up considering the guys that were ahead of him..so I don't really know when he would have "earned" playing time..

His only real chance was when he got hurt..that wasn't his fault, nor was it the fault of the Spurs organization, it was unfortunate for both parties..hopefully he is re-signed for cheap and contributes next year, it would obviously be the best case for both sides, especially since he would still potentially fill a vital need..

NewJerSpur
05-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Bonner inching his way back with each day for the minimum. Good luck to Ian if he does indeed move on......bring on that Splitter guy I've heard so much about.

itzsoweezee
05-27-2010, 12:15 AM

Lol. This is the NBA, not high school. No one gives a fuck about practice after the first month or so. The whole 'not practicing good enough' bullshit is just that - some excuse the dumb homers made up to make themselves feel better. Just like the Scola won't be a good NBA player excuse being passed around on these boards when San Antonio traded him away for nothing.

How many times do you idiots have to be wrong before you shut up?

Obstructed_View
05-27-2010, 04:43 AM

Yeah. Producing in the small number of game minutes he's given isn't nearly enough. He has to do it in practice. Granted, the Spurs don't really practice much during the season, but still...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-27-2010, 08:41 AM
It isn't the same interview (different radio). Ian will also be on a cable TV tomorrow. He said more things on the one I've summarized.

Ian's situation is very simple to summarize and understand: He would like to stay in SA but his priority is to get consistent playing time. If Spurs offers him a contract with the opportunity to play, he will stay. If Spurs don't want him back or want him at the deep end of the bench, he will try to find another team.

I'd like to see Ian stay on a minimum or LLE contract, but his attitude to staying/leaving and playing time is understandable. What I would suggest is that Tim and Dice get a lot more rest for the first three months of the season - even sit them 10-20 games each - and give Ian plenty of run early on when the teams are still weak. Depending on how Ian plays, maybe he can take over Dice's role to some extent if his defense and rebounding are up to scratch.

I have a feeling he might flourish with regular playing time, and to let him leave before finding out what he has seems a shame, especially when we could get the secondary benefit of resting our old bigs early in the season.

Grand strategy in the NBA is very fast-moving and accelerating all the time, and I think it's time we play our older players more rationally to preserve their abilities for the playoffs. Use the team depth to give guys like Tim, Dice and Manu plenty of rest before kicking it into gear in January-February. Revolutionary idea, but I think the Spurs are the kind of progressive franchise that could try it... if Pop can adjust his approach a bit.*

*playing half a season resurrected Jerry Stackouse as a decent bench player at age 36, so reducing Tim/Manu/Dice's full-season load by 20-30% could have great benefits at the end of the season, while simultaneously encouraging the development of guys like Ian, Grizzly and Malik.

Marcus Bryant
05-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Mahinmi will end up averaging 15/8/2 somewhere else and we'll never know why the "BRAINTRUST" was so flippant about his existence.

Maybe he told Pop drinking Bordeaux was like drinking Kool-Aid once upon a time. Who knows?