View Full Version : Flip Saunders: John Wall might revolutionize PG position

washingtonwizard
05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
The Wizards are going to draft John Wall. Like you didn't know that already.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/the-wizards-are-going-to-draft-john-wall-like-you-didnt-know-that-already.php
Wed May 26,2010 8:38 AM ET By Kurt Helin

I know the Washington Wizards are going to take John Wall first overall in the NBA Draft. You know it. The Wizards know it. Everyone else in the NBA knows it. Scouts in the Puerto Rican league know it. Yak herders in Mongolia know it.

Wall cemented that spot at the recent draft combine. But for some reason, the official game is for Wizards officials to never actually say that is what they are going to do. As if this is keeping some other option open. Whatever.

Wizards coach Flip Saunders almost broke the rule and came about as close as anyone has to saying what we all know with his comments to the Pioneer Press.

"Dwight Howard comes along only once every 10 years," Saunders, the former Timberwolves coach, said of the Orlando Magic's all-star center after watching Tuesday morning's workouts of draft hopefuls at Target Center. "You can have good big men, but if you don't have guard play, it doesn't help you. Point guards keep you in games..."

"He might revolutionize the point guard position because of his athleticism, but he has an extremely intelligent mind-set as far as running a team."

Saunders also said that Wall was a pure point guard, not someone who would be shifting over to the two spot. That would be Gilbert Arenas. If he plays. But that is another can of worms entirely.

lefty
05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Dwight Howard comes along only once every 10 years

DW might come along once every 10 years, but is BB IQ comes along every year

washingtonwizard
05-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Obama on John Wall

John Wall has had a relationship of sorts with Barack Obama since January, when the President called John Calipari and his Kentucky Wildcats to thank them for raising more than $1 million for Haiti.

"Hello Mr. President this is John Wall," the point guard said during the call.

"I've been watching you," Obama answered.

"Yes sir," Wall said. "I'd like to invite you to Lexington for a game, and maybe if you get there early enough we can play a little bit of HORSE."

"I'm not gonna play HORSE with you, because I don't want to lose and then you'll have bragging rights for a long time," Obama said to laughter.
Wall has mentioned Obama in at least three interviews since the Wizards won the draft lottery, saying "that's my homeboy right there" of the President. And when Obama sat down with Marv Albert for an interview about all things NBA, he returned the favor.

"[John] Wall is a terrific player. He's got NBA speed, NBA body, great jump shot, unselfish, really impressive. There's only upside for that kid. And I think it'd be great for him to come to Washington.

I became very close to Abe Pollin, who was a great supporter, he and his wife. He just passed away recently, but there's an example of a guy who constantly gave back to his community. I mean, almost single-handedly, he invested in downtown Washington at a time when it was in really bad shape, and you know, generated huge affection in this city and it was wonderful to see his widow there getting that number one pick. I only wish the best for that franchise."
So first he lobbies for LeBron to leave Cleveland, and then he doesn't even mention Evan Turner. Somebody wants to lose Ohio in 2012.

Anyhow, Wall also noticed the praise, and responded via Twitter:

Thanks president Obama for the shoutout!!!
By Dan Steinberg | May 25, 2010; 9:23 PM ET

in2deep
05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
that's a bold statement

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
What a stupid comment. When has PG oriented basketball accomplished anything in the playoffs in the last 20 years?

in2deep
05-26-2010, 02:17 PM
What a stupid comment. When has PG oriented basketball accomplished anything in the playoffs in the last 20 years?

thus the word "revolutionize" :downspin:

ffadicted
05-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Does Flip know who Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook are?

Bob Lanier
05-26-2010, 04:17 PM
I seem to remember Flip Saunders saying something similar about Darko.

LnGrrrR
05-26-2010, 06:07 PM
John Wall's basketball skills MIGHT just cure cancer.

DPG21920
05-26-2010, 06:40 PM
What a silly thing to say.

ChrisRichards
05-26-2010, 07:43 PM
This

ElNono
05-26-2010, 11:13 PM
LOL Flip

MrChug
05-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Point guards aren't point guards anymore. Stevie Nash is one of the purest there is. "REVOLUTIONIZE"? Hell when a PG pulls down 18 rebounds in a playoff game I'll start to talk about "revolutionize". Oh wait...it's been done and by a TWENTYfirst pick in the NBA draft. His team is doing rather well sittin on his shoulders. His name is Rajon Pierre Rondo.

SomeCallMeTim
05-27-2010, 01:01 AM

The 80s were dominated by PG-oriented BB. One of these years it will happen again since most of the young up-and-coming talent is at that position.

sendman
05-27-2010, 01:06 AM
John Wall made Chuck Norris cry.

hater
05-27-2010, 09:32 AM

Darko was supposed to revolutionize the PG position?

tlongII
05-27-2010, 09:44 AM
This dude is worse than me. And that's saying something.

washingtonwizard
05-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Arenas reaches out to John Wall...
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/05/can-wall-and-arenas-work-yes-a.html

Although Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld continues to act like he hasn't made up his mind about the No. 1 pick, Coach Flip Saunders is doing a terrible job of keeping the choice under wraps -- as if there is much suspense with the pick anyway. In an interview with the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Saunders said John Wall "might revolutionize the point guard position because of his athleticism, but he has an extremely intelligent mindset as far as running a team."

Okay, whenever a coach believes there is a guy who might "revolutionize the point guard position," you can mark it down. Before the arrival of Shaun Livingston late last season, Saunders spent a good portion of the year lamenting about his options at point guard. And for someone who has had success working with Stephon Marbury, Terrell Brandon, Sam Cassell and Chauncey Billups, Saunders would obviously love to have the opportunity to work with a special talent like Wall.

While there has been a lot of debate about whether Wall would be able to share the backcourt with Gilbert Arenas -- because Arenas plays the same position -- what often gets overlooked is that Arenas is not, nor has he ever been a pure point guard. He often scoffed when people compared him to other elite point guards like Chris Paul or Steve Nash who collect assists within the flow of the offense, because his natural instinct is to attack and score. And hey, he became a three-time all-star with a nine-figure contract playing that way; he did something right.

Wall has made it clear that he has to have the ball in his hands in order to succeed. Wall added that Arenas would have to move over to shooting guard. He encountered a similar situation at Kentucky with Eric Bledsoe, who arrived as a highly touted point guard and will play that position in the NBA. "Look how me and Eric Bledsoe did. Guys said we both needed the ball, and it wasn't going to work together," Wall said last week in Chicago. "Eric did a great job of not pressuring, not worrying about having the ball. He knew I was going to find him and I was the point guard. And just like that, Eric can score just like Gilbert. So if I go there with that pick, I'm going to find him with the ball. He's a scoring person and he's been in the league for a long time. He's a veteran. He's going to help me out and give me advice while I'm going through the process."

Before establishing a new career-high with 7.2 assists last season -- when Saunders put the ball in his hands 90 percent of the time and made him the primary decision-maker -- Arenas's best assists season came when he averaged 6.3 -- in his second season in Golden State. He averages 5.6 assists over his career because he has often been the best ball-handler on his team. But being able to dribble and set up teammates doesn't equate to being a point guard, just that he was a great player.

People act like you never played with another playmaker before. (Photo by Barry Gossage/NBAE via Getty Images)
My point is, Arenas could easily switch to shooting guard and be effective playing with Wall. He was a shooting guard in his two seasons at Arizona. And, when he shared the backcourt with Larry Hughes in his first two seasons in Washington, Hughes led the team in assists both seasons. Arenas actually enjoyed not being the lone playmaker on the team. At times, the responsibility frustrated him last season under Saunders's system.

Arenas became a bigger star and scorer when Hughes left, but that was because he shared the backcourt with Jared Jeffries and DeShawn Stevenson; players who got time on the floor because of their ability to defend.

Yes, Arenas needs the ball in his hands to be effective, but as long as he can trust the man next to him to make plays, he wouldn't need the ball all the time. Defensively, a Wall-Arenas backcourt could lead to some ghastly results, but offensively, it really shouldn't be a problem. And, when you consider that Saunders implemented a two-guard front the final three weeks of the season, the Wizards are already prepared for it.

But when it comes to the league, there is often a lot more going on aside from basketball. The question has to be asked how Arenas would truly respond to having the keys to the franchise -- the ones he drop-kicked last season -- handed over to a 19-year-old with star potential.

Arenas hasn't said much since he was suspended, sentenced to a halfway house or released, but he was seriously shaken by what transpired after David Stern gave him that indefinite suspension. It hurt him so deeply that he decided to change his uniform number from 0 to 6 to represent Jan. 6, his birthday, but also the day his relationship with the organization changed.

His banner on the Verizon Center was pulled down and his jersey was no longer sold at the arena or on the Web site. The franchise was moving on without him and that bothered him. He told those close to him that he didn't want to play for Grunfeld again, felt the locker room situation should've been handled much differently (he would've rather had the Wizards simply let him take the guns home instead of turning them over to the authorities).

I have a lot to think about with this latest comeback. (AP Photo/Ann Heisenfelt) Now, Arenas might be able to put those emotions behind him. This time away from the game, having his career placed in jeopardy might help him put his situation in greater perspective. Who knows for sure? I know that he has been working out frequently at Verizon Center, trying to get back in shape. While talking about Arenas before the draft lottery, Stern mentioned that he spoke to Arenas and "I think he might have put on a couple of pounds. He's going to work it off. He's going to come back as a very successful member of the Wizards."

But I also know that some of those hurt feelings still linger. If Arenas can accept all of that, and that the Wizards will soon belong to Wall, then this transition shouldn't be a problem. But that is a lot to ask. He's reportedly reached out to Wall already. So that should serve as a sign that Arenas is at least willing to try.

Arenas met with prospective owner Ted Leonsis on Sunday, and while neither side has commented on what happened, you have to believe that he was on his best behavior. Leonsis has already said that he's "predisposed to liking him" and I wouldn't expect Arenas was anything less than incredibly charming, witty and contrite.

This will be yet another comeback attempt for Arenas, and the previous three have been gruesome. He was coming back from injuries before, but now he is coming back from a tarnished reputation and a dumb decision that forced nearly all of his previous antics and behavior to be viewed in a different prism. He has to understand that people can only be so forgiving. I'm sure some have already moved on.

Grunfeld has repeatedly said that he expects Arenas to be back next season, but the one phrase that we have yet to hear is that he actually wants Arenas back. Leonsis may have decided to keep Grunfeld around for now, but that gun incident put nearly everyone within that organization in danger of losing their jobs. The Wizards will certainly listen to any team looking to deal for Arenas, but they realize that with his $80.2 million contract, there is a stronger possibility that he will stick around -- unless some team that whiffs in free agency this summer gets desperate.

In the interim, prepare for a Wall and Arenas backcourt - and everything that comes with it.

By Michael Lee | May 26, 2010; 3:31 PM ET

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-27-2010, 10:45 AM
The 80s were dominated by PG-oriented BB. One of these years it will happen again since most of the young up-and-coming talent is at that position.

The way the game is played has completely changed since the 80's.

Mr Bones
05-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Magic Johnson already revolutionized the PG position. So did Pippen, playing as a point forward on a team with two starting SGs that happened to win 72 games. Wall will be good, but what's he going to do that Magic didn't already do? Defend SGs and maybe some SFs? That's good news for the Wizards, but I don't see how it's revolutionary.

j.dizzle
05-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Just another Jennings IMO.

Bob Lanier
05-27-2010, 01:16 PM
The way the game is played has completely changed since the 80's.
...when Magic played against 6-5 honkies...

Killakobe81
05-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Point guards aren't point guards anymore. Stevie Nash is one of the purest there is. "REVOLUTIONIZE"? Hell when a PG pulls down 18 rebounds in a playoff game I'll start to talk about "revolutionize". Oh wait...it's been done and by a TWENTYfirst pick in the NBA draft. His team is doing rather well sittin on his shoulders. His name is Rajon Pierre Rondo.

How is it revelotionary when Magic did similar feats 30 years ago?

Granted at his height Rondo's feat WAS impressive ...

SomeCallMeTim
05-27-2010, 04:05 PM
How is it revelotionary when Magic did similar feats 30 years ago?

Granted at his height Rondo's feat WAS impressive ...

When something goes away for 20 years bringing it back is revolutionary.

And if some team starts dominating the league with set shots and underhand FTs, I'll call that revolutionary, too. :lol