PDA

View Full Version : Why R.J., not Carter, was best for Spurs-Mike Monroe

nbaman99
05-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Before the Spurs recruited the Pistons to help them complete the pre-draft trade that brought Richard Jefferson to San Antonio late last June, they tried hard to pry Vince Carter away from the Nets.
Offering the same players who ultimately were included in the three-team deal for “R.J.” — Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto — the Spurs also were willing to send Roger Mason Jr. to the Nets to get Carter.

Trouble was, they also wanted the Nets' spot in the first round of the draft, 11th overall. That made the Nets balk.

According to Eastern Conference insiders, the Nets countered with a request for the draft rights to Brazilian big man Tiago Splitter, the Spurs' top pick in the 2007 draft and a star in the Spanish League.

Convinced they would have a fighting chance to extract Splitter from Spain this summer, the Spurs turned their focus to Jefferson.

Jefferson would be welcomed to San Antonio a couple of days after the deal for Carter fell apart. Expectations were raised to ridiculous levels from the get-go, and a season of frustration would follow, both for Jefferson and the team.

Even as Jefferson poured in 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in a playoff loss in Phoenix, high-ranking members of the organization were overheard cursing the cost-per-contribution made by a player who was paid $14.2 million.

Watching Carter choke on the two most important free throws of the Magic's playoff run — critical misses with 31.9 seconds left in a tight Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals — then seeing his feckless performance in Game 4, you wonder if high-ranking Magic executives turned the air blue cursing him and the $16.1 million they paid him this season.

The Spurs should be grateful the Nets asked for Splitter's rights. Jefferson will cost Peter Holt et al. $15 million next season, when he will be an athletic 29-year-old in the final year of his deal.

Meanwhile, the Magic are on the hook for another $35.8 million for Carter, through 2011-12, when he will be 35.

Mel_13
05-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Your OP will not last long. No more than two sentences from the site that shall not be named. Intellectual property and all that legal stuff.

jason1301
05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I secretly hope RJ becomes a factor next year.

tp2021
05-26-2010, 03:24 PM
I secretly hope RJ becomes a factor next year.

Why secretly? The so-called second-year increase in production from having a year under the Spurs complicated system under his belt better hold true for him. Either that or GTFO.

sa_kid20
05-26-2010, 03:28 PM
I doubt RJ opts out considering what he'll make next season plus with his stock not being as high right now if he were to become a FA. I'm hoping things will be better in his 2nd yr as a Spur and maybe the fact that it will be a contract year will light a fire under his ass too.

jason1301
05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Why secretly? The so-called second-year increase in production from having a year under the Spurs complicated system under his belt better hold true for him. Either that or GTFO.

not sure, if i ll buy that in his case

Pop took whole chapters out of the playbook last summer.

TIMMYD!
05-26-2010, 03:43 PM

That's what everyone seems to have forgotten.

Muser
05-26-2010, 03:57 PM
RJ will be a huge improvement next year IMO, contract year.

Rob in Converse
05-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Before the Spurs recruited the Pistons to help them complete the pre-draft trade that brought Richard Jefferson to San Antonio late last June, they tried hard to pry Vince Carter away from the Nets.

Anyone ever wonder if either of these guys would have been considered if Presti was still the Spurs' brainchild? The team seems to always be rumored to looking at some questionable pieces, and none of them seem to meet our needs. We even looked at JR Smith, forgawdsake! He can shoot but what a jarhead...

Mr Bones
05-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Jefferson's contract will be a very attractive asset before next year's trade deadline-- acquiring it would not only help a team's cap space, but everyone knows that his next contract will be much lower than his current one. So there could easily be a team that likes Jefferson, wants the cap relief, and believes they can resign him for somewhere in the 7 mil/year range. Combining this with the cheap contract of Blair could easily bring a genuine all-star back. It might not have been the intention at the time of the trade, but I think Jefferson is really going to help the Spurs out.

Big P
05-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Carter's contract is not guaranteed in the final year, so they are on the hook for 1 more year with him...we are stuck with rj for 1 more year as well..whats the difference?
As far as ridiculous expectations, how can they be ridiculous, when he is being paid like a superstar & in NJ put up superstar numbers..what else were our expectations supposed to be, someone who makes 3 million? God I miss Ludden.

Mel_13
05-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Carter's contract is not guaranteed in the final year, so they are on the hook for 1 more year with him...we are stuck with rj for 1 more year as well..whats the difference?
As far as ridiculous expectations, how can they be ridiculous, when he is being paid like a superstar & in NJ put up superstar numbers..what else were our expectations supposed to be, someone who makes 3 million? God I miss Ludden.

VC gets 2.3M more than RJ next year and 4M of his 2011-12 salary is guaranteed. So, including luxury tax, the difference is between 8.6M and 12.6M, depending on whether or not the Spurs are tax payers in 2011-12.

Big P
05-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for clearing that up...they both sucked equally as bad...rj never got a chance to suck in the conference finals.

Waps1980
05-26-2010, 10:19 PM

Plays that just might of got RJ more involved on the offensive end.

sananspursfan21
05-26-2010, 11:38 PM
but the whole season for vince would be different playing for the spurs. just because he's kinda sucked on the magic doesn't mean he would suck for the spurs. but then again, his contract is worse and he's old. the one positive to rj i've always tried to remember is atleast he's young.

rayray2k8
05-27-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't been taken down yet.

Bender
05-27-2010, 08:18 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't been taken down yet.
me too. owners are sleeping on the job :lol

hope they don't get another letter.

Nathan Explosion
05-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Jefferson's problem was he just never knew what to do. He was too passive. He's not a great jump shooter, so starting the game off with jumpshots never worked. He was too afraid to attack sometimes.

He still has athleticism, and sometimes just getting into the lane, hanging in the air and shooting seemed to get him going. It was so funny that attacking the rim and hitting a tough shot seemed to do more for his game than hitting an open jumper to start.

What Jefferson needs to do is study film of Parker, Gino and even Hill (now) making back cuts to the rim and getting passes from Duncan. If Jefferson can master that little eye contact, then cut move, he'd get more shots at the rim. Hill even had a variation of it where he cut through, Jason Terry tried to beat him to the spot so Hill stopped under the rim and pinned Terry under the basket for a layup.

Hope Jefferson can learn a whole lot from this season and step it up. He's on a very short leash, and even that might not be enough to save his spot on the team.

Dalamar_the_Dark
05-28-2010, 02:39 AM
RJ is trade fodder this year. Expiring contract and someone who can still help a team this year. Lets see who we can get for him.

Big P
05-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Jefferson's problem was he just never knew what to do. He was too passive. He's not a great jump shooter, so starting the game off with jumpshots never worked. He was too afraid to attack sometimes.

He still has athleticism, and sometimes just getting into the lane, hanging in the air and shooting seemed to get him going. It was so funny that attacking the rim and hitting a tough shot seemed to do more for his game than hitting an open jumper to start.

What Jefferson needs to do is study film of Parker, Gino and even Hill (now) making back cuts to the rim and getting passes from Duncan. If Jefferson can master that little eye contact, then cut move, he'd get more shots at the rim. Hill even had a variation of it where he cut through, Jason Terry tried to beat him to the spot so Hill stopped under the rim and pinned Terry under the basket for a layup.

Hope Jefferson can learn a whole lot from this season and step it up. He's on a very short leash, and even that might not be enough to save his spot on the team.

Never knew what to do?? It's basketball not brain surgery.

SequSpur
05-28-2010, 09:48 AM
whatever....Vince Carter is the best player in the NBA... RJ sucks balls.

Bender
05-28-2010, 10:27 AM
I thought SJAX!!! was the best player in the NBA.

Kool Bob Love
05-28-2010, 10:39 PM
whatever....Vince Carter is the best player in the NBA... RJ sucks balls.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:rollin:rollin:rollin:roll in:rollin:rollin

nbaman99
05-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Ohhh i'm soo glad we kept Splitter's rights and Manu with us. FO rocks.