PDA

View Full Version : Channing Frye = Antoine Walker

jacobdrj
05-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Channing last night:
"Come on, man, you're asking the wrong dude. My confidence is great every day," Frye said. "I'll be honest, last game I was what, 0-for-7? If I shot another seven I thought I was going to go 7-for-14."

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100525/daily-dime

Sounds a little like Antoine.
Reporter: “Why do you shoot so many Threes?”
Antoine Walker: “Because there are no Fours.”

http://dimemag.com/2009/07/antoine-walker-wasn%E2%80%99t-always-a-joke/

monosylab1k
05-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah but Channing Frye has proven he can make 3's at a decent percentage. he's in a slump now, but Channing Frye in a slump is still a better 3 point shooter than Fatoine.

lefty
05-26-2010, 03:29 PM
WTF

Walker is a great dancer

D2Procon
05-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah but Channing Frye has proven he can make 3's at a decent percentage. he's in a slump now, but Channing Frye in a slump is still a better 3 point shooter than Fatoine.

Sup Tacker

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Not sure how the quotes are similar at all.

jacobdrj
05-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Watching Antoine play was always a guilty pleasure for me. He did so much dumb stuff on the court, but he also did some spectacular things, and he always had fun doing it, except for maybe when he played in Dallas (where he was all business, IIRC).

Not a knock on either, and yes, Channing seems to be a better 3 point shooter than Antoine, while I think what Antoine did under the basket was far more fun to watch. You never knew what you would see when Antoine was under the basket...

Mr Bones
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Except Walker had a massive contract and Frye is playing for a minimum contract. Frye was a great pick up for the Suns-- he certainly did more than Bogans, Mason, or Mahinmi did for the Spurs. And while his label for being soft in the paint has merit, he still blocked shots at twice the rate that Bonner did.

jacobdrj
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Not sure how the quotes are similar at all.

Obviously I am inferring a lot. But basically, there was a bit of arrogance coming from their ability to shoot the 3, and perhaps, perhaps, a recognition of the statistics that you only have to make 1 in 3 from 3 to equal 1 in 2 from inside...

jacobdrj
05-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Except Walker had a massive contract and Frye is playing for a minimum contract. Frye was a great pick up for the Suns-- he certainly did more than Bogans, Mason, or Mahinmi did for the Spurs. And while his label for being soft in the paint has merit, he still blocked shots at twice the rate that Bonner did.

There are lots of differences between them. And yeah, their contracts vary widely. If Antoine ever had that kind of contract in his prime, I think people would remember him more favorably.

Just an interesting observation...

JamStone
05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Lol I liked Employee #8 back in the day too.

He made baskets.

Had so much potential to be a really great player in the league...

g0w1kylcPFo

monosylab1k
05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Sup Tacker

shutup ashraf

D2Procon
05-26-2010, 03:37 PM
shutup ashraf

Are you mad Tacker?

crc21209
05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
WTF

Walker is a great dancer

+1. Frye wishes he was Antoine Walker. :lol..At least Toine was funny and had some dance moves...

Mr Bones
05-26-2010, 03:43 PM
There are lots of differences between them. And yeah, their contracts vary widely. If Antoine ever had that kind of contract in his prime, I think people would remember him more favorably.

Just an interesting observation...

True... and finding bargain players in the salary cap era is an important skill for GMs to have. When the topic of Frye came up last summer on spurstalk, there were a lot of "he sucks" and "he's soft" responses... sure, he's not Robinson or Hakeem, but I think he would've helped the Spurs-- really, any 6'11" guy who can run the floor and has fundamental basketball skills is worth the minimum.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-26-2010, 03:46 PM
All he's saying is that he's confident and he's not thinking about the last shot when he's taking a new one. No one ever asked 'toine about confidence because we knew he was too confidence. Frye really should just stop talking but this quote isn't bad or anything.

jacobdrj
05-26-2010, 03:50 PM
All he's saying is that he's confident and he's not thinking about the last shot when he's taking a new one. No one ever asked 'toine about confidence because we knew he was too confidence. Frye really should just stop talking but this quote isn't bad or anything.

I didn't say either quote was bad. I actually commend Antoine for his statistical analysis. However, I recognize there is more to basketball than FG%. I also believe that an NBA player that proves his bread and butter in the regular season should have enough confidence to continue that, through thick and thing, in the playoffs, if that is what the coach tells you to do.

It isn't a shooter's job to stop shooting just because he is in a slump... It is his coach's job to recognize when it is time to pull that player, game to game...

pauls931
05-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Someone has been eating paint chips of the inside of the short bus.

da_suns_fan
05-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Oh please.

Toine was a complete chucker who did more harm than good.

Frye is a role player. Lots of weaknesses but Im sure a lot of teams would like to have him.

Muser
05-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Oh please.

Toine was a complete chucker who did more harm than good.

Frye is a role player. Lots of weaknesses but Im sure a lot of teams would like to have him.

I'd love to have Frye, Bonner but a shit ton better.

MiamiHeat
05-26-2010, 06:31 PM
http://nbasource.blogspot.com/2005/08/oh-places-antoines-shimmy-will-go.html

MiamiHeat
05-26-2010, 06:44 PM
and this is a funny article about him written by them :

ANTOINE WALKER

Perhaps the most frustrating player to watch in the history of the sporting world. He has redefined the words “chucker,” “gunner,” “choker,” “bastard,” and “son of a bitch.” The guy has the shot selection of Ray Charles with a loaded rifle. But just after he misses five 1-foot finger rolls in a row, he’ll hit a three-pointer from 40-feet to win the game. I don’t know if he’s bi-polar, schizophrenic, retarded, or just a mediocre ball player. Miami fans laughing at this, please stop immediately. This is no joke. No one will frustrate you more than Walker. Think your mom or girlfriend pisses you off when she changes a game in the 4th quarter to check the weather for tomorrow? Toine brings frustration to a different dimension. You can’t help but love his passion for the game and dedication to firing up the crowd, but after you watch him for a month or so, none of this will matter.

Aggie Hoopsdouche
05-26-2010, 06:49 PM
WTF

Walker is a great dancer

Unfunny as usual. Stick to talking nonsense about the Spurs or just eat a dick and die motherfucker.

LnGrrrR
05-26-2010, 07:19 PM
and this is a funny article about him written by them :

ANTOINE WALKER

Perhaps the most frustrating player to watch in the history of the sporting world. He has redefined the words “chucker,” “gunner,” “choker,” “bastard,” and “son of a bitch.” The guy has the shot selection of Ray Charles with a loaded rifle. But just after he misses five 1-foot finger rolls in a row, he’ll hit a three-pointer from 40-feet to win the game. I don’t know if he’s bi-polar, schizophrenic, retarded, or just a mediocre ball player. Miami fans laughing at this, please stop immediately. This is no joke. No one will frustrate you more than Walker. Think your mom or girlfriend pisses you off when she changes a game in the 4th quarter to check the weather for tomorrow? Toine brings frustration to a different dimension. You can’t help but love his passion for the game and dedication to firing up the crowd, but after you watch him for a month or so, none of this will matter.

This article sums up Walker pretty well. I'll always hold some love for him, because he was the second best player on the Celtics of early 2000's that had no chance in the playoffs but still did their best. He also was willing to step up as a vocal leader for the Celtics at a time when Paul Pierce didn't seem willing to. I can't hate on the man.