05-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Czech is an upcoming team; don't be fooled

they lost at home and looked terrible

in2deep
05-26-2010, 03:54 PM
USA lost tot Netherlands A team, right? No shame in that
Czech is an upcoming team; don't be fooled

(By the way, I'm not American)

if Czech is an up n coming team, what does that make the USA?

lefty
05-26-2010, 03:55 PM
if Czech is an up n coming team, what does that make the USA?
The future World Champs

DAF86
05-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Mexico deserved to win, if they play like they did against England in the WC they can go far.

sonic21
05-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Czech is a good team, it was a surprise they didn't qualify. With that said, i don't understand all the hype about the US team they won't win a game imo.

lefty
05-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Czech is a good team, it was a surprise they didn't qualify. With that said, i don't understand all the hype about the US team they won't win a game imo.
but...but...

Donovan played with Beckham

but..but... he is in Nike ads

but...but... he played a few games with Everton

sonic21
05-26-2010, 04:13 PM
but...but...

Donovan played with Beckham

but..but... he is in Nike ads

but...but... he played a few games with Everton

who?

lefty
05-26-2010, 04:19 PM
who?
I watched ESPN after the WC draw

All their "analysts" were like: " easy group (except for England) !!!! if the U.S don't qualify for the 2nd round, it will be a major disappointment !!! nothing less is expected ! "

:downspin::downspin::downspin:

sonic21
05-26-2010, 04:22 PM
are you more afraid of them or the slovenian team?

lefty
05-26-2010, 04:25 PM
are you more afraid of them or the slovenian team?
I still repect USA; on the field, anything can happen

But I'm more afraid of Slovenia of course:

- they eliminated Russia in the WC qualifying

- they have good players

- and anything that comes out of ex-Yougoslavia is good enough in my book

robino2001
05-26-2010, 04:31 PM
they lost at home and looked terrible

Did you watch? Nothing I saw yesterday surprised me in the least. They gave up three goals playing 3 on the back line... one of them was an offensive midfielder put back there because they subbed in mids and forwards to get their last shot at making the squad... the other didn't make the cut today. They looked solid in the first half and then with all of the subs in, everyone was playing for their life and didn't give a crap about team play - semi-justifiably so.

Oh, not to mention Arena sat 7 starters.

The 4 forwards concern me though... not much international experience at all, but hopefully the youth have a set and don't care about the stage they're on.

Bukefal
05-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Czech is no upcoming team, they already were, they have always been a pretty solid team. I think they are now a bit downgoing team :)

ffadicted
05-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Dude, it's fucking USA football, they're such a joke lol.
No surprises here

Johnny RIngo
05-26-2010, 05:46 PM
losing their tune up games badly :lmao

USA lost to netherlands
and just badly lost to Czech 4-2

Mexico not far behind
lost to England 3-1
and Netherlands B team 2-1

on their way to dissapointing in the WC as always

:lmao :lmao

Expect another US loss on Saturday vs the Turks. Teams like the US don't really deserve to be in a tournament like the WC but, due to their easy qualification group, they make it every year while better European teams miss qualification.

Whisky Dog
05-26-2010, 08:34 PM
I think they didn't play their best players, Dempsey among others sat out as far as I know.

US is either great or horrible. They beat a top team then next look like crap. Very inconsistent.

Libri
05-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Yeah, Bradley was using the game to cut his roster but it was still a pathetic performance.

MannyIsGod
05-26-2010, 11:17 PM
People should at the very least take a look at the rosters before making stupid threads like this. Its not like the US is incredibly deep and when they take out their best players its not surprising to see them play poorly.

BTW - I do think they're going to regret leaving Ching out.

Muser
05-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I don't get the hype surrounding USA, England should wax that ass.

Hopefully...

hater
05-27-2010, 09:34 AM
People should at the very least take a look at the rosters before making stupid threads like this. Its not like the US is incredibly deep and when they take out their best players its not surprising to see them play poorly.

BTW - I do think they're going to regret leaving Ching out.

sorry this is no excuse. Teams had 4 years to get their lineups finalized. And USA still playing around with lineups less than 2 weeks before the WC.

Not to mention USA was in their home turf

:bang

Phenomanul
05-27-2010, 10:23 AM

USA lost to netherlands

Mexico not far behind
lost to England 3-1

The Czechs have always been an underrated team... and not an excuse, but many US players are attempting injury comebacks... if you don't think that factor plays on their mind, you've never played the sport.

As for Mexico, there's no shame in losing to England at Wembley, had that game been at Aztec Stadium the result would have been different... Mexico dominated the game, just couldn't put the ball in the net after 6 or 7 legit scoring opportunities that exposed the porosity of England's defense. Mexico is going through a scoring drought... that's all. BTW England's second goal was a clear off-sides...

Anyway, that was Mexico's "A-Team"... they fielded 9 changes to that lineup against Holland. So if you're going to say that Netherland's B-Team played, the same could be said for Mexico...

These are preparation games against teams they very rarely face... both American coaches are trying different tactics (Bradley, Aguirre)... not because they aren't sure of what they are going to do, but because they want tactical options that like any other strategy need to be 'implemented' on the pitch...

Go back to watching sports you might understand better... :wakeup

The_Worlds_finest
05-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Sleep on USA. You idiots.

lefty
05-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Shit on USA. You idiots.

velik_m
05-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Eh, so USA won't win the Preparation Games Championship Trophy, big fucking deal...

Johnny RIngo
05-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Eh, so USA won't win the Preparation Games Championship Trophy, big fucking deal...

They're not gonna win a real trophy either. I'd be surprised if they even got out of the group stage.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-28-2010, 07:01 PM
I don't think the US is going to fair as bad as people here seem to think. They're not winning anything, but I don't think they'll do that bad.

MannyIsGod
05-29-2010, 11:30 AM
:lol

No one thinks they're going to win the World Cup unless the know nothing about this sport. I'd say if the US doesn't make it out of group its likely a complete failure. If the win one game in the elimination stage then I'm satisfied.

USA haters are funny. Thats like hating on the fucking OKC Thunder.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-29-2010, 11:57 AM

No one thinks they're going to win the World Cup unless the know nothing about this sport. I'd say if the US doesn't make it out of group its likely a complete failure. If the win one game in the elimination stage then I'm satisfied.

USA has to be the only underdog that is never treated like one.

IronMexican
05-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Mexico looked good in first half vs England. Sucked after that.

Dinamita
05-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Mexico had their A team with third string goalie against England. And Mexico had their bench against Netherlands, 9 different players from the team that played england.

MannyIsGod
05-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Well, USA should be playing the real team today vs. Turkey. We'll see how they look.

MannyIsGod
05-29-2010, 01:18 PM
I feel bad for Tim Howard having these defenders :(

Libri
05-29-2010, 01:32 PM
USA's first half defense is crap.

Libri
05-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Turkey could have easily scored 3 more goals. Spector needs to sit.

MannyIsGod
05-29-2010, 02:00 PM
The defense was fucking TERRIBLE and they were pretty bad in the game before too. There were a few individual plays but very little cohesion over all.

MannyIsGod
05-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Dominating the 2nd half.

scott
05-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Torres needs to be starting in the center

Whisky Dog
05-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Spector needs to sit.

Looks like the best back 4 is cherudolo, Onyewu, DeMerritt, Boca but that is a freaking slow back line. Unfortunately that's about the best they have to fit together.

Findley needs to be utilized in SA for his burners.

If Torres can play like that, I'd love to see him and Bradley Jr paired for the start of the match.

Overall, given the injuries and problems Algeria has, if the US can step up their consistency they can battle the Brits and slovs for the 2 spots. That would be a success, and once you're through just let it out and see if you can cause some damage.

Great win over a good Turkish team that is rebuilding but was very successful in 06 and 08.

sonic21
05-30-2010, 03:19 AM
I feel bad for Tim Howard having these defenders :(

why isn't Reina the starting goalkeeper? is he hurt?

Muser
05-30-2010, 07:25 AM
England getting dominated early on :lmao

Bukefal
05-30-2010, 07:29 AM
I don't think the US is going to fair as bad as people here seem to think. They're not winning anything, but I don't think they'll do that bad.

Of course USA will not win it all, they wont have a chance. Of course USA has always sucked in football and had no chance ever to compete with the big boys and werent even seen as legitimate underdogs.

But now, this year, I think they can upset. I think they have the potential to surprise in this years world cup and come pretty far. I dont think they will win it all neither do I think they will have a chance to advance to the finals, but I do think they can go far and they can reach the quarterfinals.

In 2002 the upset was south korea, in 2006 it was australia, I think this time is USA. Of course korea and Australia had the best coach in the world who can make a crap team into a solid team, just by giving them motivation. USA do not have such a great coach, but still I think they will do good this time.

And funny is, they've just beat the team, Turkey, who has that best coach in the world, Hiddink who made Korea and Australia.

Muser
05-30-2010, 07:31 AM
If England play like this then USA will win the group :bang

robino2001
05-30-2010, 09:12 AM
At least the Japs scored 3 against England :lol

:)

DAF86
05-30-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't know who to lol here, Japan or England.

Muser
05-30-2010, 09:49 AM
I don't know who to lol here, Japan or England.

lol at Frank "Matt Bonner" Lampard for turning into a giant pussy in pressure situations.

DAF86
05-30-2010, 10:03 AM
lol at Frank "Matt Bonner" Lampard for turning into a giant pussy in pressure situations.

What's your starting line-up for Enlgand?

Muser
05-30-2010, 10:17 AM
------------------------Hart

---G Johnson----Terry----Ferdinand---Cole

-----------Lampard---Gerrard---Barry
------------------------Milner
------------------Rooney--Crouch

If Lampard fucks up anymore however he's off.

DAF86
05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Who would attack on the wings with that line-up?

I like:

Hart

Johnson Terry Ferdinand Cole

A defensive Mid:Carrick?

Phillips Lampard Gerrard Cole

Rooney

This way you have Rooney playing as a lone striker (the position that best suits him, IMO), You have people on the wing (Lennon and Walcott aren't playing well right now) and Lampard and Gerrad can play more freely with a defensive midfielder guarding their backs, although I don't know who to put there, who IYO is the best defensive midfielder in England?

Muser
05-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Carrick has been horrible lately, England's best defensive mid is probably Barry but it's doubtful if he will be fit. I don't like Walcott or SWP, they're both fast as fuck but rarely do anything with the ball.

lefty
05-30-2010, 03:58 PM
------------------------Hart

---G Johnson----Terry----Ferdinand---Cole

-----------Lampard---Gerrard---Barry
------------------------Milner
------------------Rooney--Crouch

If Lampard fucks up anymore however he's off.
Shiiiit

Our 2nd game of the WC will be against those guys

We better win our 1st game vs Slovenia, which will be difficult

I am very nervous :D

Muser
05-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Shiiiit

Our 2nd game of the WC will be against those guys

We better win our 1st game vs Slovenia, which will be difficult

I am very nervous :D

You support Algeria?

I wouldn't be too worried if England play like they did today, fucking pathetic.

lefty
05-30-2010, 05:04 PM
You support Algeria?

I wouldn't be too worried if England play like they did today, fucking pathetic.
Well, I'm Algerian, so yes.

England will play much better in SA, Capello is one of the best

Spurologist
05-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Well, I'm Algerian, so yes.

England will play much better in SA, Capello is one of the best

I still have may doubts. Lamps has never really performed well for country. PLUS that Rio/Terry backline is far from solid these days. Rio hardly played for united this season.

I think the US would be satisfied with a draw though. 1-1 is my scoreline. If Algeria ties against slovenia, I think they are all but out.

lefty
05-30-2010, 08:10 PM
I still have may doubts. Lamps has never really performed well for country. PLUS that Rio/Terry backline is far from solid these days. Rio hardly played for united this season.

I think the US would be satisfied with a draw though. 1-1 is my scoreline. If Algeria ties against slovenia, I think they are all but out.
Time will tell

Anything can happen on the field; after all, we did beat West Germany in the 82 WC

The_Worlds_finest
06-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Time will tell

We can all agree that time isnt coming fast enough!
Oh yeah serbia tied poland today 0-0

rascal
06-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I think they didn't play their best players, Dempsey among others sat out as far as I know.

US is either great or horrible. They beat a top team then next look like crap. Very inconsistent.

Thats not a way to go far in the world cup.

Sense
06-03-2010, 02:14 PM

USA lost to netherlands

Mexico not far behind
lost to England 3-1

Mexico just dominated Italy :toast for the most part

The_Worlds_finest
06-03-2010, 02:36 PM
I am actually some what excited our bitter rivals just beat Italy. (I know I know warm ups mean nothing :rolleyes)

Sense
06-03-2010, 02:42 PM
I am actually some what excited our bitter rivals just beat Italy. (I know I know warm ups mean nothing :rolleyes)

I take it for what it's worth.... although they seem cold, the Italians were never in this game with the exception of a couple of minutes into the match, and the corner kick.

Mexico looked great, their speed and passing was too much for Italy.

Chicharito was trying too hard.. he could've scored at least twice in this game.

I haven't seen any recent games with the exception of this one, cause of work... but overall I feel a lot better about this team after this win.

One of Mexico's flaws in recent World Cups has been that they respect their opponents too much, almost like fear, or they always seemed that they didn't belong in the same field... this team doesn't show any signs of that, and that's a great sign.

SAtown
06-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Finally something to get excited about! Mexico! Mexico! Mexico!!!

IronMexican
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
I forgot they played.

And I agree, Sense. I always got that feeling.

Sense
06-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I forgot they played.

And I agree, Sense. I always got that feeling.

Luckily for us, as years go by more and more Mexicans play in Europe, so they're feeling more and more comfortable.

rascal
06-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Yes Mexicos biggest problem was confidence in the big spot. They had the ability to go further but they always lacked the mental edge.

I expect Mexico to win its group this time.

Dinamita
06-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Mexico's biggest problem is defending Set pieces. If they don't get that shit fixed soon they won't make it far. Most of the goals scored on Mex. during friendlys were off set pieces.
And their strikers also need to find the finishing touch (im looking at you Chicharito and Vela) How many times have they missed right in front of the keeper? You can't miss easy opportunities like that in the world cup. Hopefully they get their shit together by June 11.

Oh and France just lost to China :lmao:lmao

xellos88330
06-04-2010, 09:35 PM
I think I will tune in to the world cup this year. Never watched it before.

ElNono
06-04-2010, 11:16 PM

You've been missing out man..

IronMaxipad
06-05-2010, 03:49 PM
LOL USA :lmao:lmao

Rooney is gonna make Howard his bitch :flag:

Whisky Dog
06-05-2010, 05:16 PM
US needs to get their defense together on their end, especially on corners and free kicks. I have a feeling to advance they'll need some bad ass striker and midfield play to keep putting goals up. Not liking the chances of that happening.

MannyIsGod
06-05-2010, 07:02 PM

Best sporting event by far. Nothing even compares.

DPG21920
06-05-2010, 08:07 PM
What I don't get is how people hate on US Soccer? They are clearly a top 15 team in the world. Now, I understand the gap between the number 15 team and the number 10 team is huge and that the US is not a legit contender, but they are definitely one of the better teams in the world and are moving in the right direction.

Blackjack
06-05-2010, 08:14 PM
No worries, Mexico will essentially be the fifty-first state in no time.

Then it's on ... like Donkey Kong. :downspin:

Libri
06-05-2010, 08:38 PM
What I don't get is how people hate on US Soccer? They are clearly a top 15 team in the world. Now, I understand the gap between the number 15 team and the number 10 team is huge and that the US is not a legit contender, but they are definitely one of the better teams in the world and are moving in the right direction.

FIFA rankings are a joke.

Portugal is third. :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
06-05-2010, 08:43 PM

The hate towards the US national team has nothing to do with how they actually perform in football. Its not about football at all. It can't be, they don't really matter in the grand scheme of football tournaments, yet. It really is remarkable how the US is probably the only underdog who is never treated as one.

Having said that, the FIFA world ranking has always been a joke. They've had the US in 4th place, when the US hasn't been near 4th place, ever. Right now, they've seemed to fixed it somewhat. I've got no problem with 14th place for the US. They've come a long way.

ElNono
06-05-2010, 08:54 PM

I'll be rooting for them. I actually like them more than Mexico.

rascal
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM

No, the OK Thunder are not arrogant.

rascal
06-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I'll be rooting for them. I actually like them more than Mexico.

I'll be rooting against the USA. Don't like watching the US and all the homerism from the play by play announcers. I would rather see the other better teams play.

The sooner they are out the better. Most people in the US don't even care about the World Cup.

sonic21
06-07-2010, 05:35 PM

that's what i don't get, i'm not hating but i think at least 20 european NT are better.

Brazil
06-07-2010, 06:16 PM
that's what i don't get, i'm not hating but i think at least 20 european NT are better.

I agree with that.

BTW I don't understand the DPG story about people hating US soccer team, people hate Italia, Germany... but ... USA team ? everybody love
USA team like everybody love Nigeria for instance.

Anyway one thing is certain, right now USA >>>> France

ElNono
06-07-2010, 06:18 PM

Easily...

Libri
06-07-2010, 07:25 PM
It looks like Guardado will not be a starter. This would have never crossed my mind. IMHO, he's one of the best players on the team, if not the best.

scott
06-07-2010, 07:29 PM

List?

Duff McCartney
06-07-2010, 07:32 PM

Being an American and having Mexican family, I don't think I can ever root for the U.S. in the World Cup. My beef with U.S. soccer is that the mainstream will never embrace soccer unless the U.S. wins the World Cup.

Mexico has never won the World Cup, yet the mainstream fans love the sport and the team like no other. Here, the mainstream fans will never root for them like they do in other countries.

Brazil
06-07-2010, 07:52 PM
List?

I was thinking about that... let me see

France (normally, right now not sure)
England
Italy
Netherlands
Spain
Portugal
Germany
Denmark
Czech Republic
Russia
Sweden
Ukraine
Croatia
Turkey

we can discuss about these ones

Greece
Ireland
Norway
Romania
Poland
Serbia

rascal
06-08-2010, 08:48 AM

England
Italy
Netherlands
Spain
Portugal
Germany
Denmark
Czech Republic
Russia
Sweden
Ukraine
Croatia
Turkey

Greece
Ireland
Norway
Romania
Poland
Serbia

Russia is in Asia

rascal
06-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Being an American and having Mexican family, I don't think I can ever root for the U.S. in the World Cup. My beef with U.S. soccer is that the mainstream will never embrace soccer unless the U.S. wins the World Cup.

Mexico has never won the World Cup, yet the mainstream fans love the sport and the team like no other. Here, the mainstream fans will never root for them like they do in other countries.

Exactly. The US does not care about soccer or the World Cup. I had one guy say he would rather watch a regular season game between two of the worst ML baseball teams than watch the World Cup.

rascal
06-08-2010, 08:56 AM
The USA has a history of not being able to score goals in the World Cup. They play one of the most boring games in the World Cup. Good defense and bad offense, lots of midfield play.

Not at all interested in watching them play.

Texas_Ranger
06-08-2010, 09:19 AM

England
Italy
Netherlands
Spain
Portugal
Germany
Denmark
Czech Republic
Russia
Sweden
Ukraine
Croatia
Turkey

Greece
Ireland
Norway
Romania
Poland
Serbia

:lol @ Czech Republic. They suck big, big time.
Even France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Ukraine, Sweden, Croatia and Turkey are not really that good as they should be.

And about those under we can't really discuss cause only Serbia and Ireland are pretty good. Sometimes Greece is lucky. But fucking Poland, Romania, Norway... they are a joke right now.

MannyIsGod
06-08-2010, 10:14 AM
The USA has a history of not being able to score goals in the World Cup. They play one of the most boring games in the World Cup. Good defense and bad offense, lots of midfield play.

Not at all interested in watching them play.

Then don't watch them play, but this team is definitely not built on defense.

MannyIsGod
06-08-2010, 10:16 AM

So, you don't like the USA team because no one likes the USA team. Ok.

MannyIsGod
06-08-2010, 10:19 AM
And yeah, LOL @ that list.

Duff McCartney
06-08-2010, 10:55 AM
So, you don't like the USA team because no one likes the USA team. Ok.

I don't think I ever stated that. I stated that was my beef with the U.S. soccer. I root for Mexico because my family is all from Mexico. Being 1st generation I related more to rooting for Mexico than the U.S. during the World Cup.

My disdain for U.S. soccer is mainly because of the fair weather fandom. As I stated before even though Mexico has never won, never even been to the finals..the country is die hard rooting for them. In the U.S. if you aren't a champion you aren't worth rooting for. The hardcore soccer fans do, but nobody else is even interested in the game.

scott
06-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Exactly. The US does not care about soccer or the World Cup. I had one guy say he would rather watch a regular season game between two of the worst ML baseball teams than watch the World Cup.

The crowds we're seeing at my bar definitely point to that there is a growing number of people interested in Soccer and the World Cup.

If you want to see soccer grow in the US, you should root for them in the World Cup - a good showing (R16 or Quarters) would be huge for the growth of the sport in the US.

The "no one else cares so why should I?" mentality is what has held the sport back in this country - luckily that is starting to change with increase media attention and coverage to the sport.

scott
06-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't think I ever stated that. I stated that was my beef with the U.S. soccer. I root for Mexico because my family is all from Mexico. Being 1st generation I related more to rooting for Mexico than the U.S. during the World Cup.

My disdain for U.S. soccer is mainly because of the fair weather fandom. As I stated before even though Mexico has never won, never even been to the finals..the country is die hard rooting for them. In the U.S. if you aren't a champion you aren't worth rooting for. The hardcore soccer fans do, but nobody else is even interested in the game.

Of course it's partly because of the economic prowess of the US, but more American fans are represented at the World Cup this year than any other nation (aside from South Africa) according to the report I saw on FSC the other day. Pretty impressive considering the last time I looked at flights it was a $4000 round trip during the tournament.

scott
06-08-2010, 11:38 AM
You also have to remember that the US didn't even qualify for a World Cup from 1954-1990. The sport wasn't given any attention on a national level, so of course fans aren't going to care. For all intents and purposes, the national team is only 20 years old. The 1994 WC is still the most attended WC in history.

I too am disgusted by the average American's disinterest in the sport (one of my friends calls it the WNBA, and I heard a guy at the bar the other day ask if we could change it to "An American Sport") - but things are changing. Football and Soccer are the only two sports I really care about, so it's great to see things changing in the US. It won't be overnight though.

MannyIsGod
06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
The US has some quite a few hardcore fans. I think one of the reasons that soccer has not done as well here is because there are so many sports that have done amazingly. Baseball, then football and basketball have all been the main sports people watch. But the MLS has been here for quite some time now when many thought it would fold right away. More people watch soccer here now (especially since with some of the fox sports networks you can actually watch competitive European matches all the time) and its growing largely.

To say that people in Mexico love soccer even though they have never won a world cup as though thats important is ridiculous to me. Mexico's main professional sport is soccer and that factors into things far more than whether or not they've won in the world cup.

rascal
06-08-2010, 12:00 PM
The crowds we're seeing at my bar definitely point to that there is a growing number of people interested in Soccer and the World Cup.

If you want to see soccer grow in the US, you should root for them in the World Cup - a good showing (R16 or Quarters) would be huge for the growth of the sport in the US.

The "no one else cares so why should I?" mentality is what has held the sport back in this country - luckily that is starting to change with increase media attention and coverage to the sport.

A good showing would do next to nothing for the sport in the US. It will draw temporary interest by some, thats all.

There is just a greater variety of more established different pro sports in the USA as compared to other countries.

rascal
06-08-2010, 12:05 PM
To say that people in Mexico love soccer even though they have never won a world cup as though thats important is ridiculous to me. Mexico's main professional sport is soccer and that factors into things far more than whether or not they've won in the world cup.

Why is it ridiculous? In other words mexico's passion is not fueld by bandwagon success. Soccer is the main sport there.

Thats exactly why Mexico is more into soccer.

That holds for most of the world.

scott
06-08-2010, 12:05 PM
A good showing would do next to nothing for the sport in the US. It will draw temporary interest by some, thats all.

There is just a greater variety of more established different pro sports in the USA as compared to other countries.

How do you come to that conclusion? Soccer ratings in the US were up across the board after the Confederations Cup due to the US's strong showing - including unprecidented interest in last year's MLS Cup. This is easily the most highly anticipated cup in the US. The sport is growing, and the home team doing well (as opposed to the old days of not even qualifying) certainly helps that. Of course it won't take over as the top sport, but that doesn't mean its not a success. Of course there are a greater variety of more established pro sports, but soccer doesn't have to overtake any of them to be a successful past time.

Phenomanul
06-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I think the general US population (and the marketing companies) are waiting on a soccer "stud" that they can rally behind as a 'superstar' (bandwagon style, marketing wise, etc...) ... it's the pattern they seem to embrace for all of our sports... (Jordan, Tiger, Montana, LeBron, Jeter, Roddick, Manning, etc...)

Donovan, as good as I believe him to be, is not quite there....

Freddy Adu, the much hyped hope for US Soccer, was much ado about nothing.... and Davies' untimely accident was tragic both for him and for the US Soccer Federation...

robino2001
06-08-2010, 12:47 PM
While I agree with a lot of what Scott is saying - lets not forget the US was damn near bombing out of the Confederations Cup after 2.5 awful games only to pour it on in the 2nd half against Egypt and (if I remember correctly) a semi-late goal by Brazil for the US to squeak in. Now with that said, the showing against Spain and Brazil in the bracket was both awesome/encouraging... especially for sending our "B/C" team.

To semi-agree with Rascal, lets remember the US run in '02 to the quarters was huge... mainly because of leading off with the defeat of Portugal but almost choking away the knockout round by blowing it to Poland. Then a great win over Mexico in the 1/8's and a good showing vs Germany in the 1/4's seemed to push US soccer in the right direction. The lead up to the '06 Cup seemed to be greatly anticipated - but that crapfest led to a step backwards (what - we scored 1?).

Phenomanul is onto something... hopefully Altidore will fill that role.... Donovan tried to do it but he just never really made it big. Altidore seems to have "it" to do it - whether it's the confidence, personality, etc...

scott
06-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I think Altidore and Dempsey are the most likely options for that star to emerge - Donovan has a very good game and is the face of the US, but he's no spring chicken.

What is also encouraging is that the first products of MLS Youth Academy's are starting to make it into the MLS. We are still in the growing stages of soccer in the US.

DAF86
06-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I think the general US population (and the marketing companies) are waiting on a soccer "stud" that they can rally behind as a 'superstar' (bandwagon style, marketing wise, etc...) ... it's the pattern they seem to embrace for all of our sports... (Jordan, Tiger, Montana, LeBron, Jeter, Roddick, Manning, etc...)

Donovan, as good as I believe him to be, is not quite there....

Freddy Adu, the much hyped hope for US Soccer, was much ado about nothing.... and Davies' untimely accident was tragic both for him and for the US Soccer Federation...

Agreed, the US football needs a mix of Messi and Beckham to draw more attention to it. If only C.Ronaldo was American.

MannyIsGod
06-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Why is it ridiculous? In other words mexico's passion is not fueld by bandwagon success. Soccer is the main sport there.

Thats exactly why Mexico is more into soccer.

That holds for most of the world.

Its ridiculous that anyone thinks it matters whether or not they win a world cup. My point is exactly what you jsut said

Whisky Dog
06-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Mexico is so passionate about soccer because it's all they have. If they had their own NFL, NBA, and MLB their collective interests would be much more divided.

No way 20 European teams are better than the US. The US just beat Turkey, and Croatia, Ukraine, Denmark, etc are not definitely better. That was a bs statement.

Sense
06-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Ok guys... this is how it is....

The US national team is popular... and will continue to be if they get better....

the MLS? Nope....

sonic21
06-09-2010, 04:19 AM

England
Italy
Netherlands
Spain
Portugal
Germany
Denmark
Czech Republic
Russia
Sweden
Ukraine
Croatia
Turkey

Greece
Ireland
Norway
Romania
Poland
Serbia

:tu

except maybe Poland and Norway imo

Switzerland and Slovenia are better too.

MannyIsGod
06-09-2010, 07:40 AM

lol you're funny.

rascal
06-09-2010, 08:43 AM
lol you're funny.

The USA better score some goals this tournament. In the past all their offense comes off of counter attacks. They cannot mount a consistent offensive attack and the ball is always on their side of the field. They concentrate on defense and counterattacks. That will not cut it.

I heard last World Cup how good they were suppose to be and they could not score goals.

rascal
06-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Ok guys... this is how it is....

The US national team is popular... and will continue to be if they get better....

the MLS? Nope....

That is just it. People don't like soccer (MLS) in the US. They view it as a non American sport. There will be some interest in the World Cup but after that people will go back to not caring about soccer.

sonic21
06-09-2010, 09:09 AM
lol you're funny.

we'll see. Those teams have more talent though.

Jekka
06-09-2010, 11:56 AM
The USA better score some goals this tournament. In the past all their offense comes off of counter attacks. They cannot mount a consistent offensive attack and the ball is always on their side of the field. They concentrate on defense and counterattacks. That will not cut it.

I heard last World Cup how good they were suppose to be and they could not score goals.

I don't know what to tell you if you can't see the differences in the 2006 team and the 2010 team. They're completely different with completely different coaches.

Maybe even more importantly, their group is completely different. The 2006 group was 10 times harder than this group is.

But whatever, we'll see in a few days.

PS - this is Manny - I just forgot to log Jess out on her computer.

scott
06-09-2010, 12:00 PM
That is just it. People don't like soccer (MLS) in the US. They view it as a non American sport. There will be some interest in the World Cup but after that people will go back to not caring about soccer.

Who are "people" and what are your expectations for what MLS needs to be to be considered successful? It's a successful and expanding league. Of course it will never draw 65,000+ a game like the NFL, but that doesn't mean it's not successful.

Average attendence for MLS in 2009 was 16,120 (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance?league=usa.1&year=2009&cc=5901). Average NBA attendence in 09-10 was 17,149 (http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance).

The two MLS games I went to last year were a sell out in Houston and the MLS cup which had 46,000 IIRC.

It's still the #5 sport in the US (Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer) but the interest is growing tremendously in both the MLS and soccer as a whole.

The_Worlds_finest
06-09-2010, 03:55 PM
2006 gives me nightmares. I pin the blame on that jackass Kasey Keller. 1990 was one of the worst turnouts in our History, Kasey Keller at the helm. 2006 jackass Kasey Keller in the net. Same story. The guy sucked. Why he beat out Tim Howard AND Brad Freidal is beyond me.(probably because he felt he was entitled to it). Ill tell you this much if Keller was keeper in 02 US would have not gotten where they did.

Spurstro
06-09-2010, 04:26 PM
2006 gives me nightmares. I pin the blame on that jackass Kasey Keller. 1990 was one of the worst turnouts in our History, Kasey Keller at the helm. 2006 jackass Kasey Keller in the net. Same story. The guy sucked. Why he beat out Tim Howard AND Brad Freidal is beyond me.(probably because he felt he was entitled to it). Ill tell you this much if Keller was keeper in 02 US would have not gotten where they did.

:smchode:

Brazil
06-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Russia is in Asia

well we are talking about soccer, right ? as far as I know Russia is playing qualification tournament with the Europe federation and the russian clubs are playing the UEFA champions league. So in terms of soccer yes Russia is in Europe.

Brazil
06-09-2010, 05:07 PM
:lol @ Czech Republic. They suck big, big time.

Maybe they suck big time but I would still bet on them on an eliminatory game against team USA.

Even France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Ukraine, Sweden, Croatia and Turkey are not really that good as they should be.

Even if they are not really good a loss against USA would still be an upset for them.

And about those under we can't really discuss cause only Serbia and Ireland are pretty good. Sometimes Greece is lucky. But fucking Poland, Romania, Norway... they are a joke right now.

This is why I said we can discuss.

Anyway point is it exists about 15 european teams better than USA right now.

Bukefal
06-09-2010, 05:42 PM

England
Italy
Netherlands
Spain
Portugal
Germany
Denmark
Czech Republic
Russia
Sweden
Ukraine
Croatia
Turkey

Greece
Ireland
Norway
Romania
Poland
Serbia

Pretty fair list. It's obvious these teams are all better than the USA, looking at their history, performances and quality. Serbia should be there too and Greece, although I think they are very overrated. Even Macedonia was better than the USA and believe me, Macedonia sucks in football :lol

Bear in mind, I don't hate on the USA. Im actually the one who put them in my bracket to go very far this year. They are just not better than these teams above. USA has always sucked, they don't have the amount of quality these teams above have, nor do they compete with same countries in qualifications than these teams above.

But, It is true that the USA is getting better and better every year. They have a pretty solid team, for their standard, they are highly motivated and I actually expect them to upset in the tournament. I think they can suprise and come very far, just like Australia and South Korea came far in previous world cups. Motivation is also a key part with such teams, it's not like Australia and South korea were that good, they had motivation and they had one of the best coaches in the world, who is the best in giving teams motivation.

As for popularity, It seems football is getting more and more popular in the us everyday, that's a good thing. The more popular, the brighter future they will have. I bet if football was one of the top popular sports in the us, their national team would have been one of the best in the world.

Now the FIFA rankings, those are a joke. Fifa rankings are not realistic. I mean a good team who competes with very tough opponents in european qualification cyclus is placed lower than say a less good country like the usa or australia who compete in qualification cyclus against crappy teams. It's just based on the result, they don't look at the opponents they've played or other factors, who do matter.

And it's also the image we have of the usa, maybe we underrate them too much, I think we do, but they have yet to prove themselves and I think this years tournament will be the best chance and opportunity to do so

SAtown
06-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Mexico is so passionate about soccer because it's all they have. If they had their own NFL, NBA, and MLB their collective interests would be much more divided.

No way 20 European teams are better than the US. The US just beat Turkey, and Croatia, Ukraine, Denmark, etc are not definitely better. That was a bs statement.

Mexicans also love racing, golf, tennis, NFL, NBA, etc... And they are PASSIONATE about baseball too, they have their own decent league.

BUT, i get what you're saying.

Sense
06-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Average attendence for MLS in 2009 was 16,120 (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance?league=usa.1&year=2009&cc=5901). Average NBA attendence in 09-10 was 17,149 (http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance).

I don't think this comparison is fair... it's only a 30 game season compared to 82.

RedsLakers24
06-10-2010, 02:19 AM
LOL, My dad is Mexican and he doesnt like soccer at all, he thinks its boring, the only sport he likes is Baseball, but when Mexico plays in the FIFA he roots for them and watches soccer, i always root for the US to get him mad, but im not really a soccer fan either

Libri
06-10-2010, 02:26 AM
http://www.wallpaper4me.com/images/wallpapers/Sexy%20Soccer%20Girls%202-826542.jpeg

I like this team. I can't wait to see what they will do on the pitch. :eyebrows :D

Bukefal
06-10-2010, 04:01 AM
^^ :tu

rascal
06-10-2010, 04:26 AM
^^ When do they play?

scott
06-10-2010, 07:08 AM
I don't think this comparison is fair... it's only a 30 game season compared to 82.

Of course you don't, because it flies in the face of your preconcieved notions.

Sense
06-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Of course you don't, because it flies in the face of your preconcieved notions.

:rolleyes

You know I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the fans who watch the MLS are Mexicans who can't watch Mexican soccer.

MannyIsGod
06-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Who can watch MLS but not Mexican Soccer? Its much easier to find a Mexican game on than it is an MLS game on.

Sense
06-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Who can watch MLS but not Mexican Soccer? Its much easier to find a Mexican game on than it is an MLS game on.

I ment attend....

rascal
06-10-2010, 08:44 AM
No TV coverage and not even mention on ESPN radio score updates. Soccer is behind Nascar Golf and even Tennis in the US for popularity.

MannyIsGod
06-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I ment attend....

Ok - that makes more sense.

Sense
06-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Ok - that makes more sense.

I'm talking about Illegal immigrants in the United States ffs, how difficult is it?

MannyIsGod
06-10-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm talking about Illegal immigrants in the United States ffs, how difficult is it?

You're pulling shit out of your ass. Your logic goes something like this:

The average Mexican likes soccer more than the average American therefor MLS attendance is mostly illegal immigrants?

Thats fucking hilarious.

MannyIsGod
06-10-2010, 10:11 AM
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/110930

Go read that.

Considering 75% of MLS fans have a combined household income over 40k I think its pretty damn safe to assume they're not supported mainly by illegal immigrants.

lefty
06-10-2010, 10:35 AM
While I agree with a lot of what Scott is saying - lets not forget the US was damn near bombing out of the Confederations Cup after 2.5 awful games only to pour it on in the 2nd half against Egypt and (if I remember correctly) a semi-late goal by Brazil for the US to squeak in. Now with that said, the showing against Spain and Brazil in the bracket was both awesome/encouraging... especially for sending our "B/C" team.

To semi-agree with Rascal, lets remember the US run in '02 to the quarters was huge... mainly because of leading off with the defeat of Portugal but almost choking away the knockout round by blowing it to Poland. Then a great win over Mexico in the 1/8's and a good showing vs Germany in the 1/4's seemed to push US soccer in the right direction. The lead up to the '06 Cup seemed to be greatly anticipated - but that crapfest led to a step backwards (what - we scored 1?).

Phenomanul is onto something... hopefully Altidore will fill that role.... Donovan tried to do it but he just never really made it big. Altidore seems to have "it" to do it - whether it's the confidence, personality, etc...

Confed cup is nothing but a glorified exhibition tournament

Spain and Brazil didnt give a shit

If the U.S meet one of those 2 teams in the WC, it will be over quickly

scott
06-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Confed cup is nothing but a glorified exhibition tournament

Spain and Brazil didnt give a shit

If the U.S meet one of those 2 teams in the WC, it will be over quickly

Sorry, but I don't buy into that Spain didn't care about their unbeaten streak and just rolled over to US. Maybe they didn't give their A game, but it was at least their B+ game.

lefty
06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Sorry, but I don't buy into that Spain didn't care about their unbeaten streak and just rolled over to US. Maybe they didn't give their A game, but it was at least their B+ game.
I thought it was their F+ game

rascal
06-10-2010, 11:11 AM

The average Mexican likes soccer more than the average American therefor MLS attendance is mostly illegal immigrants?

Thats fucking hilarious.

Agree
Illegal immigrants don't care about MLS, if they follow soccer it is soccer from Mexico.

rascal
06-10-2010, 11:16 AM
The USA beats everyone else in most every other sport. They send the most athletes to the Olympics etc. Let them get their asses whipped in a sport the country doesn't even care much about.

Brazil
06-10-2010, 11:29 AM
The USA beats everyone else in most every other sport. They send the most athletes to the Olympics etc. Let them get their asses whipped in a sport the country doesn't even care much about.

Every other sport ? wtf ?

Baseball: sure there are only 3 countries playing
Football: see above
Basket: ok
Volley: good team but the bests in the world are Brazilian
Handball: not sure USA has a team
the every other sport is quite strange

lefty
06-10-2010, 11:34 AM

+1 :lol

Muser
06-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Lol USA wins in every other sport.

lefty
06-10-2010, 12:05 PM
They also win the World Series every year

Whisky Dog
06-10-2010, 12:29 PM
We suck at curling. That asshole skip Shuster really shat the bed big time.

lefty
06-10-2010, 01:23 PM
We suck at curling. That asshole skip Shuster really shat the bed big time.
:lmao

Sense
06-10-2010, 05:56 PM

Thats fucking hilarious.

Wow, first you don't get what I was telling him.... and now you actually think I was serious?

I was fucking with him....

MannyIsGod
06-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Wow, I guess you pointed I was full of shit so after multiple posts I made with no indication I was kidding I'll fall back on this....

I was fucking with him....

Sense
06-10-2010, 06:51 PM

Surprisingly I expected that response after the previous two.

DPG21920
06-10-2010, 09:10 PM

:lol That reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield in Ladybugs:

"Eeesh, black people are best at sports. Are you kidding? How about hockey? And waterpolo? Fencing! Best at sports... hey, badminton! Yachting! Best at sports... Oh, I forgot fox hunting! Best in sports."

DAF86
06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
:lol That reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield in Ladybugs:

"Eeesh, black people are best at sports. Are you kidding? How about hockey? And waterpolo? Fencing! Best at sports... hey, badminton! Yachting! Best at sports... Oh, I forgot fox hunting! Best in sports."

Yeah the difference is that Football, Rugby, Formula 1, volley, tennis, etc. are some of the most popular sports/events in the world.

MannyIsGod
06-18-2010, 09:22 PM
i was thinking about that... Let me see

france (normally, right now not sure)

lol

england
lol

italy
netherlands
spain
portugal
germany
denmark
czech republic
russia
sweden
ukraine
croatia
turkey

greece
ireland
norway
romania
poland
serbia

lol

boston.balla
06-19-2010, 02:07 AM
man the usa is so overrated ...

NOTE: by sport I am referring to a worldwide closely followed sport not the "raping foxes" tradition in england considered sport by the royal house only and made illegal for the rest of the unholy not-royal-blood ones.

even at basketball at which we should win MOST comfortably we almost got beaten by spain with an absolutely stacked team that trained in the sytem, played with each other 3 years .. etc.

soccer/football ( i usually use the last .. american football is for bubba) is clearly dominated by europe and southamerica and us have no chance to mess with them ( confed cup is a joke, us 2nd place, camerun 2nd place ... how many times did you see such shit in WC .. that right a big ZERO).

swimming is a sport as much as hunting foxes is.
motor sports all the same except f1.. dale earnheart jr and bubba shaking hands after the autograph. F1 is to tactical and tense for the american give him a dirt track or a big oval and 100^100^100^alef0 laps and he's happy.

running/track is quite balanced imo.. the longer the distance the better the real niggaz from africa not the souped-up roid-up from us.

volley is dominated by other teams, mentioned in other posts

handball is quite popular in europe, us i don't even know

tennis is clearly dominated by non-us.

hockey for us is a movie about a miracle and lots of bukkakeing from the superpower soviet empire.. russia has more gold medals since 1990 than us entire history = /subject

golf is as much of a sport as watching foxes commit suicide by the fear of being hunted.

american football is ...well.. american .. in terms of rugby we would get absolutely jizzed (did you know a football game last ~15 mins and a rugby game last considerably longer and there are not O & D teams etc etc etc? .. ooh.. and NO protection.. real men sport!.... as I was saying , absolutely jizzed)

video games is a much of sport as watching golf on tv = watching the psychology of the depressed not even hunted fox.

bowling is as much of a sport as a playing videogames.

cycling , wiki: "Bicycle races are popular all over the world, especially in Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe). The most devoted countries are Italy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy), Spain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain), Belgium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium), Germany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany), Denmark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark), France (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France), the Netherlands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands) and Switzerland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland), although the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) has international standing, as do Australia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia), Luxemburg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxemburg) and the UK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK)."

Boxing is a sport where us is good .. gotta admit, unfortunately these russians are becoming rampant.. guess the roids are even easier to get there.

Cue sports = billiard, snooker. As much of a sport as beating foxes with a stick after they are shot

rodeo/bull riding is a respected sport as long as you are in texas.

baseball is played by a few teams and us still gets hammered :lmao

in terms of cricket it is safe to say the us is shit.

martial arts as a sport if dominated by non-us people. When we are talking full contact we think of russia/ brazil/ asia

the beijing sports: synchronized swimming, mixed ping pong (gold medals sports! gotta have many of these)and their variations are as much of a sport as mourning after a hunted fox before you hunt it down.

gymnastics is russia/china and the rest of the world

skiing sports is not for us people.

x-games are for those kids that love watching dead foxes in an online multiplayer format.

rowing is as much of a sport as having mirages with hunting foxes.

weightlifting is clearly not us: russia/turkey is what comes to mind.

AND LOL to: archery, softball, triathlon, shooting, penthatlon, fencing, badminton, foot tennis and all the other abominations of sports.

Therefor, us dominates a very very small list of sports.

MannyIsGod
06-25-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't get the hype surrounding USA, England should wax that ass.

Hopefully...

They're not gonna win a real trophy either. I'd be surprised if they even got out of the group stage.

If England play like this then USA will win the group :bang

Thats not a way to go far in the world cup.

LOL USA :lmao:lmao

Rooney is gonna make Howard his bitch :flag:

I'll be rooting against the USA. Don't like watching the US and all the homerism from the play by play announcers. I would rather see the other better teams play.

The sooner they are out the better. Most people in the US don't even care about the World Cup.

England
Italy
Netherlands
Spain
Portugal
Germany
Denmark
Czech Republic
Russia
Sweden
Ukraine
Croatia
Turkey

Greece
Ireland
Norway
Romania
Poland
Serbia

:lmao x 39058309875290873490829754275902857382-57=3857329805732575-38-3753825785

scott
06-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Classic bump.

Sense
06-25-2010, 12:20 PM
:lmao x 39058309875290873490829754275902857382-57=3857329805732575-38-3753825785

Out of all of those I'd say about 2 are worth the bump, the other ones weren't totally wrong.

ginobili's bald spot
06-25-2010, 01:09 PM

:lol I love that this is a French fag too.

easy7
06-25-2010, 04:15 PM
"You better watch the Mexicans from El Salvador, they are the worst." (Note on screen: People from El Salvador are not Mexicans). A day without a Mexican

sonic21
06-26-2010, 05:26 PM

:lol I love that this is a French fag too.

stay classy man

yes i was wrong (i was close with an ET goal though).

The US team improved, i was impressed by their performance against slovenia.

They have a real problem at the begining of their games though, they need to improve that aspect.