PDA

View Full Version : Mexican/Tex-Mex Restaurants

SpursFanFirst
05-26-2010, 04:04 PM
SA foodies, I'm looking to you for help.

My family and I will be heading to SA in June for a week long vacation, and I'm trying to mix things up a bit while I'm down there.

A little background: My family is from SA. I get back every 1-2 years, my Dad and brother haven't been back in 18 years or so, and the SIL has never been.

Mi Tierra is ALWAYS on the list, but I'm looking for 2 more places. Any ideas on a Mexican and a Tex-Mex restaurant? We will have a rental car, so getting around won't be an issue.

Off the topic of food, I'm also looking for something fun for my brother and Dad to do while my SIL and I are shopping for one of the afternoons.
My brother has scars on his legs from his military time, so waterparks are out due to the fact he's self-conscious of his scars.
Any ideas?

I'd appreciate any help I can get. :wakeup

oh crap
05-26-2010, 04:09 PM
go to a real city, make sure you don't let any infants crawl the street and try not to get bitten by a teen wolf while in town.

baseline bum
05-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Fuck the Tex-Mex; drive out to Luling and go to City Market to get some of the best BBQ in the world.

JoeChalupa
05-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Went to Luling a few weekends ago. :tu

baseline bum
05-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Went to Luling a few weekends ago. :tu

Definitely worth the drive, right? Their brisket and sausage is amazing. Pretty good ribs too.

baseline bum
05-26-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm not much of a fan of City Market's sauce though. Then again, sauce gets saved for the bread and the beans when I have really high quality BBQ.

CosmicCowboy
05-26-2010, 04:24 PM
The original ChaCha's on Bandera road about 1/2 mile inside loop 410. Get the top shelf margarita on the rocks and if you like REALLY hot salsa ask your server to bring you some "waiters sauce" from the back. My personal menu favorite is the ceviche tostadas.

JoeChalupa
05-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Definitely worth the drive, right? Their brisket and sausage is amazing. Pretty good ribs too.

Yeah it is. My MIL goes quite often so sometimes I'll tag along for the ride with the kids or I'll just put in my order.
The sauce is okay. Kids love it.

As for a Mexican? I'd check out of one of the diners, drive-ins or dives for the best. That is what we've been doing lately.

CosmicCowboy
05-26-2010, 04:26 PM

I just picked up a 15# standing rib roast to BBQ this weekend.

rAm
05-26-2010, 04:29 PM
When I grew up in SA, my family used to go to La Fogata on the regular. That place was great, had really traditional atmosphere and amazing food. Their salsa is one of a kind as well.

Anyone been there recently? What's it like now?

rjv
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
la jacala, la fogata, los barrios, paloma blanca

your brother and dad could go to the hill country (enchanted rock for instance), the zoo, and they can still go to fiesta texas and just ride the rides and avoid the water park.

SpursFanFirst
05-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Fuck the Tex-Mex; drive out to Luling and go to City Market to get some of the best BBQ in the world.

We are heading out to Luling because we used to live out there. I'll check it out. Thanks, BB.

MaNu4Tres
05-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Panchitos off McCullough hands down...

or

El Mirador on S St. Mary's street downtown is also one of the favorites.

Whenever I'm in town, me and the fam always go to one of the two.

koriwhat
05-26-2010, 05:26 PM
you want real mexican or crap?

guajillos (corner of blanco/410) - expensive
tacos de julio (fredericksburg close to the HEB off hildebrand) - cheap w/tons of food
los robertos (bitters/281, right next to the falls bar) - cheap w/tons of food

SourCandy
05-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Mi Tierra blah, I think that place is for tourist.

SpursFanFirst
05-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Any thoughts on Rosario's?

Sunshine
05-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Jacala, La Hacienda, El Chaparrel or go out 281 S to La Cabana.

Shelly
05-26-2010, 06:16 PM
I haven't been to Rosairos in years, but it was good. La Fonda on Main is also good and they have a great margarita!

Oh, and if your brother is REALLY bored, he can come clean my house!

SpursFanFirst
05-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Oh, and if your brother is REALLY bored, he can come clean my house!

Haha If that's his only other option, shopping will sound pretty good to him, I'm sure.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm taking the time to check out the websites.
Keep 'em coming!

baseline bum
05-26-2010, 07:33 PM
When I grew up in SA, my family used to go to La Fogata on the regular. That place was great, had really traditional atmosphere and amazing food. Their salsa is one of a kind as well.

Anyone been there recently? What's it like now?

La Fogata salsa is incredible. I always have to get a bottle of it to go whenever I eat there. I also like that I can get decent mole from there.

Yeah, Mi Tierra isn't that good, although I love their bakery.

Jacala used to be spectacular, but took a big nosedive in the 90s. Unfortunately, my favorite Mexican place, El Asadero Culebra, has been closed more than 10 years (though after doing a google search, it appears there is another place further down Culebra with that name now).

Sausage
05-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Aldaco's in Stone Oak, or El Mirasol are two of my favorites. I highly recommend both.

koriwhat
05-26-2010, 08:17 PM

for sure. place sucks except for the bakery as mentioned already.

Any thoughts on Rosario's?

totally disgusting and overpriced. you can get better at las palapas if that says anything.

Udokafan05
05-26-2010, 08:25 PM
El Jalisco on FM 3009 is my favorite.

Dr. Gonzo
05-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Blanco Cafe on Blanco near Hildebrand has the best cheese enchiladas. Picante Grill on Broadway also has fantastic food. The cochinita pibil is fantastic.

fraga
05-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Fuck the Tex-Mex; drive out to Lockhart to get some of the best BBQ in the world.

Fixed

PM5K
05-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Mi Tierra is ALWAYS on the list

LOL. That places is for tourists, it's always busy and isn't anywhere near worth the wait.

Joe is right, there is more to South Texas than Mexican food. Go to the San Marcos/Luling/Lockhart area and no matter which place you pick you pretty much can't go wrong.

I like Jacala, I won't say it's the best place in the world but I've been recommending it for a long time, they make good food and they make it amazingly quick.

EDIT: Your brother can't get some sort of material to put on his legs, like those sleeves NBA players wear to cover his scars? If they were the right color a lot of people might not notice.

baseline bum
05-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Fixed

Lockhart is great too; at least Smitty's (I haven't tried Kreuz yet, but really want to). Smitty's has the best brisket of any restaurant I have been to. I prefer City Market's sausage and ribs though.

Blake
05-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Blanco Cafe on Blanco near Hildebrand has the best cheese enchiladas.

I used to live next door to the guy that sold and helped install their most recent security system at that location.

Will never eat there again.

Blake
05-26-2010, 09:44 PM
SA foodies, I'm looking to you for help.

My family and I will be heading to SA in June for a week long vacation, and I'm trying to mix things up a bit while I'm down there.

A little background: My family is from SA. I get back every 1-2 years, my Dad and brother haven't been back in 18 years or so, and the SIL has never been.

Mi Tierra is ALWAYS on the list, but I'm looking for 2 more places. Any ideas on a Mexican and a Tex-Mex restaurant? We will have a rental car, so getting around won't be an issue.

Off the topic of food, I'm also looking for something fun for my brother and Dad to do while my SIL and I are shopping for one of the afternoons.
My brother has scars on his legs from his military time, so waterparks are out due to the fact he's self-conscious of his scars.
Any ideas?

I'd appreciate any help I can get. :wakeup

eat somewhere on/around the river and do the river barge thing.

we did it just for kicks last year because the kid wanted to ride a boat, but it turned out to be very entertaining, very historically informative too.

leemajors
05-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Fixed

City Market is better than anything in Lockhart. So is Snow's. Smitthy's does have excellent pork ribs though.

DesignatedT
05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
I always enjoyed La margarita to mi terria... which is right next door (same owners i believe)

for other places... La Fogata or El Chapparel for great food. Rosarios isn't a bad choice. La Hacienda off 1604 and Redland is newer and a nice big place with a cool atmosphere and nice big porch.

for something to do im not so sure. maybe check out the missions schedule :lol. could drop them off at the ballpark for a game. that's always a good time.

HighLowLobForBig-50
05-26-2010, 10:48 PM
for mex/tex-mex and a good time you should def go to Chuy's on a fri or sat night. you'll have good drinks good atmosphere and a fun menu with surprisingly good food. its at 281 and henderson pass across from the chilis :hungry::hungry:

Nbadan
05-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Save your money, eat Mexican for breakfast....send your bro to Sugars...

Lackluster
05-27-2010, 08:31 AM
guajillos

Picante Grill

two of my favorite spots. tacos de bistec at guajillos and fajita enchiladas at picante grill.

Go to San Marcos

Kip's BBQ off of 35 right across from the outlet mall is really good. it's in a strip center, but don't let that put you off - it's all slow cooked there and really good.

also centerpoint station (off 35 also across from the outlet mall) has about as good a burger as you'll find imo.

PM5K
05-27-2010, 09:04 AM
also centerpoint station (off 35 also across from the outlet mall) has about as good a burger as you'll find imo.

In my limited experience the burger from the gas station is better than from the actual center point station restaurant.

By limited experience I mean one Sunday I went down there and the gas station was closed so I had to go to the restaurant and the burgers didn't compare. Prior to that I had always gone on Saturdays when the gas station is open and had been maybe a dozen times.

howbouthemspurs
05-28-2010, 06:04 AM
I miss the mexican restaurants in San Antonio... The ones in Las Cruces, New Mexico suck ass!

Dex
05-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Los Barrios or La Hacienda de Los Barrios (the latter has a very nice atmosphere, and a porch area if you find a good day to visit. Their puffy tacos were also featured on the Food Network)

Jacala

La Fogata

Christan's for awesome breakfast tacos.

jcrod
05-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Jacala used to be spectacular, but took a big nosedive in the 90s. Unfortunately, my favorite Mexican place, El Asadero Culebra, has been closed more than 10 years (though after doing a google search, it appears there is another place further down Culebra with that name now).

Another vote for La Jacala or Los Barrios off of Blanco Rd.

10 years, more like 15 at least. We use to go there all the time, loved that place. Someone else tried to reopen the same location using the same name a couple of years back, but it was crap. The location is still unused, supprising.

Nathan Explosion
05-28-2010, 05:54 PM
How about driving to the Westside for breakfast and just picking a hole in the wall. I grew up in the Westside and those hole in the walls were the best places to eat Tex-Mex. I live on Medical now and there's this place next to my apartments that serves really good food. They started as a taco truck and expanded into a restaurant. Just this morning I confirmed that some of the waitresses live in my complex.

Anyway, it's like having Westside food in the Medical Center area. Taco Taco on Hildebrand has good breakfast tacos. Blanco Cafe has good food. Mexican Manhattan downtown is way overpriced, but has good food. Oasis downtown on McCollugh before you hit 37 has good food.

Around where I live, Cha Cho's has good quesadillas, burritos and nachos. They're tacos and pretty good too. Mama Margie's is okay if not overrated, but both Margie's and Cha Cho's are good late night stops.

As for Asadero on Culebra, I grew up near St. Mary's Univ. and used to go there all the time. When my parents moved by Edison, I used to go to Plaza's. Both places were really good, although it's been years since I've been to Plaza's so I can't comment now.

Dex
05-28-2010, 05:59 PM
How about driving to the Westside for breakfast and just picking a hole in the wall. I grew up in the Westside and those hole in the walls were the best places to eat Tex-Mex. I live on Medical now and there's this place next to my apartments that serves really good food. They started as a taco truck and expanded into a restaurant. Just this morning I confirmed that some of the waitresses live in my complex.

Anyway, it's like having Westside food in the Medical Center area. Taco Taco on Hildebrand has good breakfast tacos. Blanco Cafe has good food. Mexican Manhattan downtown is way overpriced, but has good food. Oasis downtown on McCollugh before you hit 37 has good food.

Around where I live, Cha Cho's has good quesadillas, burritos and nachos. They're tacos and pretty good too. Mama Margie's is okay if not overrated, but both Margie's and Cha Cho's are good late night stops.

As for Asadero on Culebra, I grew up near St. Mary's Univ. and used to go there all the time. When my parents moved by Edison, I used to go to Plaza's. Both places were really good, although it's been years since I've been to Plaza's so I can't comment now.

I was trying to remember Chacho's but couldn't come up with the name. The one on Perrin Beitel is like an amusement park, and boasts an impressive plate of nachos.

Mama Margie's rocks as well, if for no reason other than their free chips and hot salsa.

Nathan Explosion
05-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I was trying to remember Chacho's but couldn't come up with the name. The one on Perrin Beitel is like an amusement park, and boasts an impressive plate of nachos.

Mama Margie's rocks as well, if for no reason other than their free chips and hot salsa.

Almost every place I go to offers free chips and salsa though. I go to the Cha Cho's on Callaghan. I get the full size mesquite beef fajita quesadilla and split it with my two kids. We all eat for under $7. Great deal.

SpursFanFirst
05-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Los Barrios or La Hacienda de Los Barrios (the latter has a very nice atmosphere, and a porch area if you find a good day to visit. Their puffy tacos were also featured on the Food Network)

Jacala

La Fogata

Christan's for awesome breakfast tacos.

La Fogata keeps coming up in this thread. I think we're definitely going to have to check that one out.

koriwhat
05-28-2010, 07:06 PM
La Fogata keeps coming up in this thread. I think we're definitely going to have to check that one out.

la fogata isn't as good as it used to be that's for sure but then again i like more mexican and less texmex. oh and la fogata is like rosarios as in the food isn't all that but your bill will be all that and more.

Blake
05-28-2010, 07:47 PM
la fogata isn't as good as it used to be that's for sure but then again i like more mexican and less texmex. oh and la fogata is like rosarios as in the food isn't all that but your bill will be all that and more.

+1

long wait, average food, big bill.

the top shelf margarita is outstanding but not worth the price, imo.

Chacho's margs are easily as good and almost half the price IIRC

jcrod
05-29-2010, 05:45 AM

Unless you want to pay just for the atmoshpere I wouldn't bother, it is way overpriced for average food.

JoeChalupa
05-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Unless you want to pay just for the atmoshpere I wouldn't bother, it is way overpriced for average food.

Damn, I too was going to check it out. I still plan on going to some of the places mentioned in here.

Anyone ever go to Beto's Burgers?

ploto
05-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Is Lupita's still there on Culebra? I have not been there in ages.

baseline bum
05-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Another place worth checking out is Chris Madrid's. A lot of people here think it sucks, for what reason I do not know, but their cheddar cheese machoburger paired with some macho nachos is outstanding; it's by far the best burger I have ever had. Another cool place is Tip Top on Fredricksburg Road, which is great for chicken fried steak, onion rings, and fried chicken.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Is Lupita's still there on Culebra? I have not been there in ages.
yes and it's seen better days.....

Viva Las Espuelas
05-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Mi Tierra is ALWAYS on the listi feel sorry for you.

Nathan Explosion
05-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Another place worth checking out is Chris Madrid's. A lot of people here think it sucks, for what reason I do not know, but their cheddar cheese machoburger paired with some macho nachos is outstanding; it's by far the best burger I have ever had. Another cool place is Tip Top on Fredricksburg Road, which is great for chicken fried steak, onion rings, and fried chicken.

Chris Madrid's, while a good burger, is HIGHLY overrated. If you want a good burger, try the Broadway 5050. Now that's a damn good burger.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-29-2010, 05:55 PM
i doubt there's many "mexican" restaurants as opposed to tex-mex places in SA. anyone can break out their slide rule and say "that's not authentic". so what. it's not "mexican" food. it's tex mex. anyway any tex mex places that are good are ones with 'buelita in the back making tortillas. Cafe Mendez on bartholomew is definitely worth the drive and wait. there's a sign that says "no fast food. all homemade. no microwave ovens in use". that gets a :tu in my book. the food is excellent here. the refried beans are divine. i don't need to pay $12 for a cheese enchilada plate. i'm there for food not packaging. it's all basically Cheese, Flour, and Lard we're dealing with here. the Holy Trinity of "mexican" food. how expensive can that be? also Taurino's on callaghan is always good. to each their own.

KEDA
05-29-2010, 06:29 PM
For mexican food, try Nichas on Roosevelt, you will thank me later.

Also for Nathan Explosion, is the name of that place that has the truck called El Gallito? Their truck is down the street from where I live and I eat there at least twice a week, shit is gooood.

gameFACE
05-29-2010, 06:51 PM
There's a place called Cascabel on South St. Mary's just down from Rosarios. Damn good food and more Mex-mex. I was blown away. Mostly patio seating but it's worth it.

http://www.sacurrent.com/dining/review.asp?rid=12001

http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/photo_list/430420

AnthonyM
05-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Any place where the staff doesn't speak English.

koriwhat
05-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Chris Madrid's, while a good burger, is HIGHLY overrated. If you want a good burger, try the Broadway 5050. Now that's a damn good burger.

which broadway 5050 because the broadway location sucks as far as food goes. disgusting!

Viva Las Espuelas
05-29-2010, 09:29 PM
which broadway 5050 because the broadway location sucks as far as food goes. disgusting!

Well there is one off I-10 going towards UTSA. DeZavala, maybe. Didn't have the burger but the onion rings were pretty damn tasty.

Dr. Gonzo
05-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Well there is one off I-10 going towards UTSA. DeZavala, maybe. Didn't have the burger but the onion rings were pretty damn tasty.

It's at the Colonnade. I've never been but see it all the time.

Nathan Explosion
05-29-2010, 11:17 PM
It's off of Wurzbach and I-10. The Colonnade as someone mentioned. The day I found out, I called all my friends. I was that excited.

As for the truck Keda, I think that's the one. It's across the corner of Fairhaven and Datapoint behind the convenience store on Gardendale and Datapoint. The restaurant is called Taqueria Datapoint and is on Medical. The food is good. The bean and cheese tacos are made with Mexican cheese instead of shredded cheddar. And the tacos are 3 for $3 or something like that before 10 a.m.