PDA

View Full Version : POLANDS PERSPECTIVE vol.V - the last chapter/ the end

polandprzem
05-27-2010, 02:28 PM
There will be probably nothing new I will say about the season and about this years ending. But I had to do it because Blackjack warned me if I won’t do this PP he will ban me from the Spurstalk. :depressed So I decided to click on some letters on my keyboard and get over it. I may get an F - grade but I won’t be banned. So here I go.

The last time I’ve spoken to you from my thread was when the spurs were about to finish the regular season and the schedule of death. They did just fine winning with some tough teams and having quite a solid number 7 spot heading into the playoffs just to face a team from a nightmare. The team that was more then capable to crush the spurs again like they did previous year. I felt it was interesting matchup for the spurs this time. Tony Parker was back and George Hill was in a zone and until he twisted ankle in the last regular season game I thought spurs chances of having a good playoff run were high. All in all not one team have ever seen spurs team playing with Tony Parker leading the second unit. That was making them less predictable and bringing a new air. You could stay positive looking at our players get together to end the season.

In game one of the playoffs it was all about that German guy who causes so much troubles for many teams. It’s tough to make any advantage if you do not have anyone to cover this basketball player. He killed us pretty good, but we recovered and stepped up to the challenge – and I’m talking about a veteran man who came to Alamo City to help make the run for the trophy. Antonio McDyess played outstanding defense against Dirk and as the series progressed George Hill mend up and was the key for spurs victory. Great series which left our Manu wounded. His nose was broken along with his play though which results in a second round series.

Here comes the Sun and really I’m not afraid of it. I mean we beat the better team in Mavs and we always had numbers against Suns team, well at least in TD era and Nash era. Steve never beat us. I was rather in good mood until game two happened. After game one I thought we have this one slipped but the second game showed me that we are in big troubles. It seemed like Suns had mismatch in every frickin matchup. Even if they didn’t they easily could make one by outstanding pick and rolls. They had TD locked down low.hE was unable to exploit 4 –down. On every such occasion with Phoenix player waiting to double Tim and rest of Suns players shutting passing lanes. Spurs could not create new opportunities to get the ball move so we were stagnant. We lost this series on perimeter, when none of our players could hit jack or whatever. I could even hit whatever. No treys no nothing. Suns made the floor twice smaller that it was, we were unable to spread them. And those pick and rolls once again? I thought we will smash Nash and the rest of his fellows with ours. Nope. TP and Manu could not get many points or plays work out of this. And then those switches on picks which provided death. They could take our bigs away from the basket and do whatever they wanted, drive through making us double and then pass to an open teammate, shoot the ball whatever they wanted. And damn they had performers on the bench. We were lacking George from the first round who was unable to defend on a level we hoped for plus don’t get me started with RJ. I was his defender all year long but it seems like he never find himself.
Spurs were swept. I don’t need to bring the details now when the spurs already are back from fishing.

Well screw the playoffs now. I just want to look at players from perspective of the past season and what can he bring to the next one. The spurs needs and chances and all, and even more then all, if I can do it.

As a team we need more speed more athletes better defense better offense better post and better perimeter. If we can get this we have chance to win it all. I’m genius! I might end this post now. It’s that simple. :king

Now seriously player by player:

Tim Duncan – This is the guy I was born to be a fan of. All those years watching him play was a privilege. Umm it looks like I’m talking about the past. And actually I am because I do not think this man can handle the job of being the frontline of the spurs anymore. There will be not much fun watching him play IMHO next two years. It might be a painfull experience :D We all thought he will be declining quite long just because he is so fundamentally sound. But no. He was destroyed by the injuries, slowed him down and slower Tim equals faster opponents. This year he played on one leg. His determination was beyond in the playoffs but you could see his limitations. That was not a good view. Spurs can’t feed him anymore and be passive looking at him to be a savior. All year long I think he was really consistent and got less help then he needed especially in the frontline, it weared him down as well.
He now must to get as much rest as possible, extend summer and make everything that is necessary to prepare the knee for another long season. And those free throws people?! What the heck was that? Tim could not find a way to put the ball in the basket. Horrible.
Spurs need to figure the frontline out. We need help and we need Splitter to be able to play along Tim Duncan consistently all season long. There is nobody else available better then this man. If the spurs will fail to sign Brazilian I can consider not watching them play. We are f%&ed without Thiago.
Da end.

Manu Ginobili – Miracle man who had a slow 1st half of a season and then erupted with great play. :wow Almost like 2005 supermanu he was heading to the playoffs, thing of beauty watching him. But then he somehow unpredictably collapsed in the last games of spurs season. I don’t know if it was his nose what caused it or what. But he seemed to be hesitant and out of sync and rhythm. The worst Manu is unsure Manu and the problem is actually bigger then most people think looking at the bigger picture. Manu have signed brand new contract and well I’m happy but I do not think he can provide good play all season long anymore. The guy has stretches, he also used to have but now he have longer worse ones. And to tell you the truth he sometimes needs few months to get into rhythm, he gets some kind of injury and coming back from it and again back into shape which takes him big amount of time. If Manu is as done (looking for his game shape and rhythm all the time)the spurs are done. As same as for Tim I’m not optimistic here. And it might get worse when he could possibly even bitch about minutes because Pop will try to hold Ginobilis energy reducing his playing time. What he must to do is to accept his limited role in this team not to burn them.

Tony Parker - That French playing for France is not American and he is not Manu. That’s why he is not that much liked. He had the worst season. But he had determination to play even though he had injuries. Pop was so stubborn and gave him no rest in minutes it was obvious he was sending a message “if you can’t handle all season, take a vacation” . I was such an ass not going for a game when he was in Poland. My co-workers friend took a picture with Tony. Shieyit. Never mind guys and some girls which might be reading this. I have not much to say about Tony but one thing I want to address. You cannot trade him. If the spurs would trade him it would be a disaster. I don’t know who can we get in return but it is not going to be Lebron for sure so other then that is there any point guard available? And if anybody thinks we can handle the PG position with Hill and some draft guy is insane. Next season he will be even better. He might be the best spur again like two years ago. IMO Tony is bigger for the spurs then not consistent Manu.

Richard Jefferson – All season long he was trying to fit into spurs system. Yea and at the beginning he said (about fitting in the Pops system that) it’s basketball and it’s not going to be that difficult. Well it was and he was doing everything not to show that he does not like this and he is irritated by it and not performing like he would like to. He was so needed against the suns it became critical, once again a failure but you can’t put all the blame on him. He was trying hard. I just hope we can find a team to trade him for some nice piece, but being more realistic let’s hope he will find the spot in spurs system and feel much more comfortable next year. All in all it was difficult with so many lineups the spurs had this season. And with Pop handling the season going slowly towards the playoffs it just did not work well. Spurs are in need to have a big SF position set. The guy like Jefferson is needed. Him or another better fitting small forward.

Antonio McDyess - the player who was suppose to be a great compliment to Duncan had only good moments in a season with one big series when he was chasing a German shooter. He could not find that sweet spot which could cause a twin towers plays under the basket. He was good outside shooter though and I want him to put a spurs uniform next year for whole season. His experience, his defense will be much needed. If he will be the first guy of the bench as a frontliner it would be nice.

George Hill – he was fantastic and his amazing play in the last 3 games of the Dallas series was a thing of beauty. Happy about his performance in the first round I got hammered in the second where all his weaknesses came to a day light. His 1-1 D is not that great and his effectiveness went down as he could not buy a basket from the outside. I’m still confident that he will learn a lesson and his mentality will be stronger next season in the playoffs. I bet he is gonna work on his weakest points. During the next season he will eat some of the Manu minutes and I would like to see him eat some of Tonys. Well if spurs stays healthy. It was noticeable that he was better as the suns series progressed, too less too late. Great piece as a combo guard.

Matt Bonner – When was the last time I ate a sandwich ? I mean an American sandwich, not piece of bread and some other food on it. When I was a kid I suppose. Which age? Does it matter? No.
All I want to say is that Matt is like a kid. He jokes, he have fun playing and has a sandwich sky hook. His season was tough, he mostly had to play a big role in our offense and sometimes defense. Play as starter, play as bench player. Also this hand injury did not helped him much. He gathered himself and could provide some punch hitting those treys and spreading the floor. People hates him when he is on the floor but he is a good piece to this team. We need to have a big that can hit outside shots. But but is it worth playing him all season long when like many kids his getting lost in the playoffs? I think it’s worth but in a role that will have him come of the bench all season and concentrate on one or two missions. Still it’s risky cause we need guys who can step up in the elimination games.
Might click when being a role player. Proof – game 4 against Suns.

Keith Bogans – Hmm Pop had Bowens snickers in the locker room and wanted Bogans to fit in those shoes. Even though Pop pushed hard and was forcing Keith to wear them it was obvious Bogans is no Cinderella. Spurs are in a bad position now. Spurs are stuck with him like with Udoka. Nothing in return. He is too stiff to play for the spurs.

DeJuan Blair - :ihit Heavy D! had his moments this season. He is between two positions in the NBA. Small Forward and Power Forward. He is too slow and have minor perimeter play to be on the 3 spot. He is more like PF but there is a problem – he is too small. It’s not easy to find a spot for him. All in all he can rebound the ball but I don’t think he can make much bigger impact next year. I hope he can cause we need his rebounding skills and toughness and being more versatile . I do not measure rookies, the most important year in NBA career is the second year. When you can feel confident and make that big step forward then you are a player. Big hopes, so many ifs in his skills. To make a progress.

Roger Mason – Get of my face :fight The worst basketball on the planet during the playoffs and earlier as well. I know he had that hand injury… Jeez please do not sign him for the next year if you think it was the reason for his bad play. The hand is no excuse for that pathetic display on defense. I don’t know why Pop kept him playing. He might not had choice, but really as bad as Bogans was he should play instead of Mason.

Ian Mahinmi – The savior got not much chance to produce and he was sitting on the bench all sad about the situation. So what? He is too green IMO and I would not mind to pack him for a nice trade.

Malik Hairston – Good bench guy with roles to play esp. on the defensive end. It would be nice to keep him. He still is cheap but can provide punch here and there. Too bad he had injury at the end of a season.

TEAM SPURS

:flag:

Damn we should have won this series against Suns, :bang but it happened we had nothing that could take us over the hump. Gregg Popovich addressed that we need people who will step up in the playoffs like Boston Celtics have. The thing is he is right considering that in our championship years we had guys like Horry, Oberto or Bowen. I don’t see in our team players that could provide the same what those guys did. Especially those were the guys with incredible high basketball IQ. Other then McDyess there is nobody. Tim and Manu are not going be better next year or any healthier so we need even more production from other people in our squad. I don’t know what’s RC’s plans are but few things needs to be fixed. Window is closed now. Can we prevent it from locking?

Offense – Hey all season long spurs were unable to bring fluid offense mostly because of different rotations. They brought their A game to the end of a season and Dallas series. Versus Phoenix our offense was limited. Screen rolls were slapped away and inside presents was almost non-existent. The worst of all was that we do not have anybody that can bring death from outside the 3 point stripe. Tony is occasional shooter from the distance, same with Manu who if not confident can brick ball after ball. Hill disappeared and RJ is Richard Jefferson. Bonner can be deadly. Can. Sometimes. We need to add somebody who can give us what Barry and Bowen gave us. Roger Mason was suppose to be the man :rolleyes . I think for the spurs it will be one of the most important things to do in the summer to add good 3 point player. It also would be nice to add a slasher cause it appeared that Manu and Tony lost their abilities against Suns in that area. Manu used to split the defenders and find a way to the basket Jesus Christ. Tony in full force should create havoc in Suns D like he did few times esp. in the 4th game, the last game 1st Q.
I was saying it long time ago. NBA is different and it awards guys going into the middle. Execution, no turnovers, bring the fluid ala 2005 back and we are in the game.

Defense - Spurs need to find a better defensive perimeter player if it’s possible. To make an easier coverage. We were so lucky having Bowen in our team. Now Suns could make easy switches and played one on one killing us where they felt most comfortable. Also Timmy will be used like Shaq in the pick and rolls. Sad but true. Get him of his zone and bring to the area in which he will have to show all his mobile skills. Tough to do it on one leg even if could get down to 220 pounds … So a mobile center added would be good thing. I’m not gonna say one more time. If we are not going to get Splitter I may as well give the spurs a rest and not bother watching them at all. Downloading some games from time to time. Wakeing up at night RU kidding me?!

Frontline:– If we can spread time between Duncan, Splitter, McDyess, Blair and Bonner it would be enough bodies in that formation and I’m okay with it. Yes I do think Thiago is the one who cures our frontline unless Spurs FO can figure some big body somewhere else, but I do not see it. Figure out rotation quick and feel comfortable.

Backcourt: We’ve got Manu, Tony, RJ, Hill and then whatever we can get will be nice. IMO we need three more pieces. Like I mentioned deadly 3 point guy a perimeter defender. If Malik Hairston can evolve and crack into 10man rotation it would be sweet and nice.

To end this as it’s getting late.
We need to fill the squad and find our identity quick. Bring a brand, new spurs brand and old character. Set rotations and learn.
We need to be extremely healthy to dream about NBA championship. Hopes for guys stepping up.
Hopes that West can be somehow weaker. And damn we might open this shut down window with a frontkick. Last chance, last chapter. The end.
One more shot.

admiralsnackbar
05-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Dziekuje :D

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 03:02 PM
There will be probably nothing new I will say about the season and about this years ending. But I had to do it because Blackjack warned me if I won’t do this PP he will ban me from the Spurstalk. :depressed So I decided to click on some letters on my keyboard and get over it. I may get an F - grade but I won’t be banned. So here I go.

You live to fight another day, my friend. :downspin:

I love these things, man. Great takes and knowledge with a great sense of humor. I hope this won't be retired all together. There'll always be something to bitch about and I'm sure you'll find something that gives you the impetus (and you don't need pills for that) to put forth some more Poland's Perspectives in the future. :toast

Bender
05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
pretty good, I read maybe 95% of it...

so whatever happened with Pop, Bowen's candy bar, and Bogans ?

Dex
05-27-2010, 03:07 PM
http://delffi.net/phun/kissat/tldr.jpg

...just kidding.

I'm gonna go back and read it now.

Bender
05-27-2010, 03:13 PM
lucky I'm a graduate of the Evelyn Woodhead Sped Redding Course.

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 03:15 PM
lucky I'm a graduate of the Evelyn Woodhead Sped Redding Course.

Definitely not the speed typing course. I keed, I keed. :lol

lefty
05-27-2010, 03:17 PM
:sleep

Bender
05-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Definitely not the speed typing course. I keed, I keed. :lollooks like I should have typed Sped Riddin Course...

Not familiar with Cheech & Chong?

Sped Ridin Course (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Woodhead_Speed_Reading_Course)

hater
05-27-2010, 03:29 PM
anybody got the cliffnotes?

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 03:32 PM
looks like I should have typed Sped Riddin Course...

Not familiar with Cheech & Chong?

Sped Ridin Course (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Woodhead_Speed_Reading_Course)

I'd forgotten all about that. It didn't even register. Imagine that, the THC guy. :smokin

Bender
05-27-2010, 03:35 PM
I was trying to remember it in my mind.. That whole Los cochinos albums is a hoot...

duncan228
05-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Always appreciate the Perspective polandprzem. :tu

blkroadrunners
05-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Good work champ.

polandprzem
05-30-2010, 02:41 AM
Dziekuje :D

Prosze bardzo

And thank you other guys and gals as well. :toast

We need a GTG and do a bbq or something