PDA

View Full Version : Bill Walton is 'back' in the game with Kings

duncan228
05-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Walton is 'back' in the game with Kings (http://www.sacbee.com/2010/05/27/2779919/voisin-walton-is-back-in-the-game.html)
By Ailene Voisin
Sacramento Bee

Bill Walton is one of the most interesting men on earth, or on any planet, for that matter. Men would say Mars. Women would say Venus. And for his next act, the Hall of Fame center/broadcast provocateur is dusting off his microphone, easing into his car and heading toward Sacramento.

For those who keep track of Walton comebacks, this is probably his zillionth, and quite possibly, his most important.

Walton, who retired from broadcasting two years ago because of debilitating back pain, and who weeks ago revealed that he contemplated suicide at one point because of unrelenting discomfort, says he is "climbing back into the game of life."

Fifteen months after undergoing innovative spinal surgery, he can stand again. He can sit again. He can sleep again. He can travel again. He always talked a great game, and so the next step, this next giant stride, transports him into the Kings' broadcast booth on a limited basis.

The plan is to start slowly, to stay on his feet. Initially, he will work Kings broadcasts in Los Angeles and provide commentary while watching other games at a television studio near his home in San Diego.

The end game is whatever Walton wants it to be. Or what his health allows.

While the pairing certainly appears incongruous, this union between the sharp-tongued Walton and a sensitive, small-town franchise, keep in mind that the Maloofs are both shrewd businessmen and complete softies for heartwarming stories. The conversation started when Joe Maloof read T.J. Simers' compelling account of Walton's struggles in the Los Angeles Times and chased down the big redhead's phone number.

"It sounded like Bill was doing great, but looking for an opportunity to get back into it (broadcasting)," Joe Maloof said, "and I thought we should give him a chance. How could you not be affected by what the guy went through …?"

Walton, who first revealed the extent of his emotional distress weeks earlier in his hometown newspaper, the San Diego Union Tribune, revisited the details Wednesday afternoon. Pain has been chronic since college. First it was his back, but usually it was his foot, fractured repeatedly during an abbreviated but nonetheless brilliant NBA career.

The back problems flared again about three years ago, precluding travel and forcing him to retire from broadcasting in 2008. He tried medication, yoga, massage, acupuncture, but nothing worked. He became a virtual recluse, his thoughts darkening by the day. Suicide was an option.

"You can't imagine what it was like," continued Walton, who suffered the initial injury when he was lowbridged while playing against Washington State. "Dr. (Steven) Garfin saved my life. He and his team at UCSD are such innovative guys, and they put such hard work into this, eight hours of reconstructing, cleaning, fusing my spine. I feel like I missed 2 1/2 years of my life, but I have an unbelievable opportunity to start over at 57."

Walton's day begins at a local YMCA at 4:30 a.m. He swims, lifts weights, stretches, relaxes. His pain is manageable now, he says, and no longer prevents air travel, which is one reason he isn't limiting his future with the Kings.

"When Joe called, I was flattered," said Walton. "He said, 'Bill, we have something special starting here and we want you to be a part of it.' I told him I would do anything they wanted. We didn't even talk money.

"This is about starting my life over again with a dynamic organization, and with fans who have been touched by something that's very special. We want to get back to that as quickly as possible."

There is a history here. Walton's wife, Lori, is from Tracy. Geoff Petrie was a teammate in Portland. Paul Westphal is a longtime friend, former Pacific-10 Conference rival and fellow Bob Dylan aficionado. Jim Gray, who recently joined the Kings broadcast crew, is his former NBA partner at CBS, NBC and ESPN.

"I'm back in the game, back with a team," Walton said, "and you know I value team play. Whatever I can do. I'm ready for anything."

Radio interview.

Bill Walton on The Rise Guys (http://khtk.cbslocal.com/2010/05/27/bill-walton-on-the-rise-guys/#more-1445)

Hall of Famer Bill Walton stopped by The Rise Guys to talk about joining the Kings broadcast team and the hardships of the last couple of years.

http://khtk.cbslocal.com/2010/05/27/bill-walton-on-the-rise-guys/#more-1445

Bill Walton’s Back Pain Made Him Contemplate Suicide

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151613

Booharv
05-27-2010, 06:29 PM
I know Walton has his haters but he was never boring. The Walton, Snapper Jones, and Marv Albert combo was my favorite as a kid, and my pick for the best ever broadcast team.

mogrovejo
05-27-2010, 06:30 PM
He should play, he'd be the best inside presence in that roster.

HarlemHeat37
05-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Wow, I'm gonna actually have to watch some Kings games now..

baseline bum
05-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Walton's by far my favorite color guy in NBA history. Listening to him and Lawler do Clippers games back in the day was incredible. I kind of felt bad for Olowokandi with the way Walton would constantly dog him though.

daslicer
05-27-2010, 06:37 PM
I hated this guy when I was a kid but once I became an adult I really did enjoy his color commentating. I think its funny how people hate him for some of the ridiculous things he says but don't realize that he is actually being sarcastic. For all the haters out there if you don't take him seriously he is really funny and entertaining to listen to.

Booharv
05-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I used to love it when he would call out a player randomly in the middle of a thought.

The first three games of the Orlando-Boston series were begging for a "Where in the world is Rashard Lewis!?!"

Giuseppe
05-27-2010, 06:55 PM
I liked it when Daddy warned him to STFU, and Walton STFU.

Bob Lanier
05-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Walton's by far my favorite color guy in NBA history.
:tu