PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe Secessionist Rick Perry Balances Texas Budget With Federal Stimulus Cash

boutons_deux
05-27-2010, 06:58 PM
- SpeakEasy - http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy -

Wannabe Secessionist Rick Perry Balances Texas Budget With Federal Stimulus Cash

Posted By barbaramorrill On May 26, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

Rick Perry, the wannabe secessionist and Governor of Texas, must be doubly grateful that his state legislature ignored his empty talk about turning down money from the economic recovery package because:

… the Wall Street Journal noted this morning, the stimulus is the reason that Texas currently has a balanced budget:

[T]he economic downturn is catching up with Texas. Sales-tax revenue started falling in February 2009 compared with the previous year, and only started to recover a bit in April of this year. Although Mr. Perry has railed against the federal economic-stimulus program, billions of dollars from that initiative helped Texas legislators balance the current budget.

… which gave Perry more time to double his state’s debt and to write a book:

… that will blast Washington for overreaching and intruding on the rights of states and individuals.

Titled Fed Up, it is described by publisher Little, Brown and Co. as a polemic that casts federal policies as a “legitimate threat to America’s continued leadership in the free world.”

Considering that Texas received a nearly $23 billion intrusion, perhaps Mr. Perry should change the title to “Fed.”

Article printed from SpeakEasy: http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy

URL to article: http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/05/26/wannabe-secessionist-rick-perry-balances-texas-budget-with-federal-stimulus-cash/

========

As always, Repugs and conservatives hate govt unless taxpayer $$ are flowing into the their pockets.

ChumpDumper
05-27-2010, 07:09 PM
I've brought this up several times. Texans really have nothing to say about it.

admiralsnackbar
05-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Old news.

ChumpDumper
05-27-2010, 07:16 PM
It will be newer news with the upcoming budget when Texas won't be bailed out again.

admiralsnackbar
05-27-2010, 07:18 PM
That's fair, Chump, but that doesn't change the fact that we knew about this months ago.

ChumpDumper
05-27-2010, 07:24 PM
That's fair, Chump, but that doesn't change the fact that we knew about this months ago.Sure -- the silence from the Texas board Republicans concerning the Texas bailout has been deafening.

George Gervin's Afro
05-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Sure -- the silence from the Texas board Republicans concerning the Texas bailout has been deafening.

they are tired of all the bailouts... they are tea potty mad.

admiralsnackbar
05-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Sure -- the silence from the Texas board Republicans concerning the Texas bailout has been deafening.

It was Kay B. Hutchinson's main platform issue. If her site is still up, you can check.

greyforest
05-27-2010, 11:48 PM
i don't think the texas budget allows deficit spending, so i laugh every time texas politicians are lauded for the "balanced texas budget"

boutons_deux
05-28-2010, 09:58 AM
all govt levels below fed can't print money, nor can they deflate their currency, so they have to borrow (bonds), invest, and hold $Ts in untouchable reserves.

Sorta like Greece as a Euro-denominated country. It can't anymore print drachmas anymore to devalue its way of its crisis.

ploto
05-28-2010, 11:01 AM
It will be newer news with the upcoming budget when Texas won't be bailed out again.

Already have lay offs, hiring freezes, and slashing of funds. Somehow people don't seem to know this.

EmptyMan
05-28-2010, 04:40 PM
It was pretty obvious Gov. Good Hair was pulling the secession strings to appeal to the tea-bagga's during the primaries. Nothing more.

EmptyMan
05-28-2010, 04:46 PM

I didn't vote for Perry in the primary, u mad? What's your solution Chump?

You know nothing will change because this is how the system works. Easy position to be on.

This is why people should have all voted for that crazy woman Medina. Who gives a shit if she thinks 9/11 was an inside job (she probably doesn't), does that effect the Texas budget in anyway? No. Does that affect Texas in any way? No. Does abortion, gay marriage, or interextraterrestrial sexual relations affect Texas in any fiscal way? No. Why would people vote in shit they know will not change anything. The only hope is that crazy woman because if she doesn't actually do it, no one will. It's a pretty simple concept. Instead the dems and $$repugs gangbang her chances to keep the broken lame system spinning its gears.

Thus, Texas receiving Fed money after pretending like it is any different than any other lame state in this country...wgaf.

TeyshaBlue
05-28-2010, 05:21 PM
I've brought this up several times. Texans really have nothing to say about it.

That's because we've all known for 10 years the douchebag's a snake. I guess the other 49 states are just figuring this out.:sleep

Don't ask me how Capt. JFK Hair keeps getting elected. I completely don't get it.

spursncowboys
05-28-2010, 05:59 PM
It was pretty obvious Gov. Good Hair was pulling the secession strings to appeal to the tea-bagga's during the primaries. Nothing more.
word

ChumpDumper
05-28-2010, 06:10 PM
I didn't vote for Perry in the primary, u mad?Nope. I've known for a long time that Republicans are hypocritical douches.

What's your solution Chump?Not pretending. Not paying for Formula One tracks. No corporate giveaways.

You know nothing will change because this is how the system works. Easy position to be on.

This is why people should have all voted for that crazy woman Medina. Who gives a shit if she thinks 9/11 was an inside job (she probably doesn't), does that effect the Texas budget in anyway? No. Does that affect Texas in any way? No. Does abortion, gay marriage, or interextraterrestrial sexual relations affect Texas in any fiscal way? No. Why would people vote in shit they know will not change anything. The only hope is that crazy woman because if she doesn't actually do it, no one will. It's a pretty simple concept. Instead the dems and $$repugs gangbang her chances to keep the broken lame system spinning its gears.Medina always sounded like a complete idiot when I heard her.

Thus, Texas receiving Fed money after pretending like it is any different than any other lame state in this country...wgaf.Obviously not you. Why do you vote at all?

TeyshaBlue
05-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Nope. I've known for a long time that Republicans are hypocritical douches.

Wow. If you say so.

DarrinS
05-28-2010, 06:19 PM
As always, Repugs and conservatives hate govt unless taxpayer $$ are flowing into the their pockets.

Gee, do you think Texans paid any of those taxpayer $$?

ChumpDumper
05-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Wow. If you say so.I do so say.

TeyshaBlue
05-28-2010, 06:21 PM
I do so say.

*Places checkmark in Book of Absolutes*

ChumpDumper
05-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Gee, do you think Texans paid any of those taxpayer $$?Gee, did Texans claim to be against the stimulus?

TeyshaBlue
05-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Gee, did Texans claim to be against the stimulus?

All Texans or just some of them?

ChumpDumper
05-28-2010, 06:25 PM
*Places checkmark in Book of Absolutes*Which Texas Republican was against using the stimulus to balance the budget?

ChumpDumper
05-28-2010, 06:25 PM
All Texans or just some of them?Which ones claimed to be for it?

TeyshaBlue
05-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Which Texas Republican was against using the stimulus to balance the budget?

Me. Next.

TeyshaBlue
Which ones claimed to be for it?

Some. Next.

ChumpDumper
Me. Next.Are you in the legislature?

TeyshaBlue
05-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Are you in the legislature?

Nope. You didn't specify legislators. I believe you just specified Republicans. Next.

ChumpDumper
05-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Nope.Next.

Ignignokt
05-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Next.

can the legislature reject the stimulus?

ChumpDumper
05-30-2010, 04:24 PM
can the legislature reject the stimulus?Yes.

word
06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
- SpeakEasy - http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy -

Wannabe Secessionist Rick Perry Balances Texas Budget With Federal Stimulus Cash

Posted By barbaramorrill On May 26, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

Rick Perry, the wannabe secessionist and Governor of Texas, must be doubly grateful that his state legislature ignored his empty talk about turning down money from the economic recovery package because:

… the Wall Street Journal noted this morning, the stimulus is the reason that Texas currently has a balanced budget:

[T]he economic downturn is catching up with Texas. Sales-tax revenue started falling in February 2009 compared with the previous year, and only started to recover a bit in April of this year. Although Mr. Perry has railed against the federal economic-stimulus program, billions of dollars from that initiative helped Texas legislators balance the current budget.

… which gave Perry more time to double his state’s debt and to write a book:

… that will blast Washington for overreaching and intruding on the rights of states and individuals.

Titled Fed Up, it is described by publisher Little, Brown and Co. as a polemic that casts federal policies as a “legitimate threat to America’s continued leadership in the free world.”

Considering that Texas received a nearly $23 billion intrusion, perhaps Mr. Perry should change the title to “Fed.”

Article printed from SpeakEasy: http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy

URL to article: http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/05/26/wannabe-secessionist-rick-perry-balances-texas-budget-with-federal-stimulus-cash/

========

And there's the rub. As it is with a lot states, the feds take so much of the tax dollar, there isn't enough to run the states.

Nbadan
06-01-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't know what the 'right amount' of taxes is.....but we pay one of the lowest tax rates in the free world....especially corporations and the very wealthy....

boutons_deux
06-01-2010, 08:26 PM
If Repugs/Perry hate taxes so much, why don't they annul the TX state sales tax?

Maybe they need the revenue more than they hate taxes?

EVAY
06-01-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't know what the 'right amount' of taxes is.....but we pay one of the lowest tax rates in the free world....especially corporations and the very wealthy....

I'd have to say that the 'right' amount of taxes is the amount is takes to paythe bills for the goods and services that the taxpayers demand.

And, you are right that the U.S. personal tax rate is one of the lowest in the industrialized world.

Nbadan
06-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I'd have to say that the 'right' amount of taxes is the amount is takes to pay the bills for the goods and services that the taxpayers demand.

That's just it....many 'demand services' but don't want to pay for them..

ChumpDumper
06-01-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't know what the 'right amount' of taxes is.Enough to put a Formula One track next to a toll road.

Blake
06-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Enough to put a Formula One track next to a toll road.

I'm glad to hear that taxpayers won't be footing the bill to build the F1 track.