PDA

View Full Version : Props to Steve Nash, the best PG of his generation.

midnightpulp
05-27-2010, 11:04 PM
This guy has taken a lot of flack over the years, especially from us Spurs fans, but there's now little doubt that he is undoubtably the best point guard of his generation. He's a perfect player outside his defense.

What's also glaringly obvious is that he totally deserved those two back-to-back MVPs in 05 and 06.

:toast

Giuseppe
05-27-2010, 11:09 PM
He's a quitterPERIOD

Pelicans78
05-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Best offensive PG right now. Does everything exceptionally well offensively. His outside shooting gives him a slight edge offensively over CP3.

Ghazi
05-27-2010, 11:11 PM
CPwho?

midnightpulp
05-27-2010, 11:12 PM
He's a quitterPERIOD

Not even fuckin close.

Nash always brought it against the Spurs in those heartbreaking series of years past. If Marion decided not to be a "quitter" the Suns might have a ship.

Still butthurt about that 06 MVP not going to a guy who actually quit, eh?

midnightpulp
05-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Best offensive PG right now. Does everything exceptionally well offensively. His outside shooting gives him a slight edge offensively over CP3.

I consider Paul part of the next gen. Nash is with Kidd, Billups, etc.

Pelicans78
05-27-2010, 11:14 PM
CPwho?

Offensively, Nash and CP3 are the best when it comes to PGs. Ball-handling, passing, lack or turnovers, scoring, shooting, vision on the court, FT shooting, FG percentage. They're the two best offensively.

Giuseppe
05-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Not even fuckin close.

Nash always brought it against the Spurs in those heartbreaking series of years past. If Marion decided not to be a "quitter" the Suns might have a ship.

But, he quit on Porter last season, and instigated a mutiny on that team.

He's a shit.

pauls931
05-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Not even fuckin close.

Trust me just put the guy on ignore, he's not worth talking to.

mavsfan1000
05-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Great player. Heartbreaking end to a great comeback.

Capt Bringdown
05-28-2010, 12:04 AM
He didn't deserve to lose tonight, what a performance. Lakers are clearly the better team, but game 5 was the Suns best and only chance to pull off an upset.

How much longer can Nash keep playing at such a high level? I got a gut feeling we just saw his last hurrah.

Giuseppe
05-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Trust me just put the guy on ignore, he's not worth talking to.

:lol You ain't even got the self-discipline to abide your own ignore of me, Paul. Yer talkin' about me thru this other nitwit.

crc21209
05-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Of course he deserves to lose.

Oh yeah because Artest deserves to win right? :rolleyes

namlook
05-28-2010, 01:51 AM
Oh yeah because Artest deserves to win right? :rolleyes

The Suns aren't the better team, that's why Nash deserves to lose.

cobbler
05-28-2010, 02:21 AM
This guy has taken a lot of flack over the years, especially from us Spurs fans, but there's now little doubt that he is undoubtably the best point guard of his generation. He's a perfect player outside his defense.

What's also glaringly obvious is that he totally deserved those two back-to-back MVPs in 05 and 06.

:toast

Unfortunatley, Defense is half the game. And in playoff basketball, its even more so. Thus the 0 for life.

21_Blessings
05-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Steve Nash will retire without ever getting out of the WCF. At least Kidd carried his way to the finals twice. :lol

Capt Bringdown
05-28-2010, 02:37 AM
Steve Nash will retire without ever getting out of the WCF. At least Kidd carried his way to the finals twice. :lol

In the end, building a showcase team around Nash's abilities just wasn't enough.

What a surprise, you gotta play defense to win a championship.

Pelicans78
05-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Kidd hasn't done crap in the Western Conference. Those Nets team wouldn't have made it out of the first or second round.

stretch
05-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Best OFFENSIVE PG off all-time, IMO. There is absolutely NOTHING the guy can't do offensively (except in-game dunking lol). He is probably the best jumpshooter the game has ever seen, finishes well with contact, has great fake moves, great footwork, and is as good of a passer as the NBA has ever seen (IMO only Pistol Pete and Jason Kidd is on the same level of pure passing ability as Nash. No, not even Magic is on that level, you Laker fucks). If you need a jump in your offense whether it's by penetration, shooting, passing, running, etc... Steve Nash is as good as it gets at PG.

stretch
05-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Unfortunatley, Defense is half the game. And in playoff basketball, its even more so. Thus the 0 for life.

Nash is not a good defender, but a plenty of good offensive PG's are/were mediocre defenders, including a Laker great who is often considered the best PG ever... Magic Johnson. Fucking horrible defender, and had to resort to simply jumping passing lanes, or doubling down on other players to make up for his god-awful man defense. Magic could get away with it in the 80's though, when pretty much no one played any fucking defense unless it was going for steals and blocks. I'm sure Nash in the 80's could have led teams to championships with run-and-gun offenses back then like Magic did, but unfortunately for Nash, it doesn't work today.

stretch
05-28-2010, 11:37 AM
:lol

Go wipe ya bloody ass, son. Magic is the greatest.

I never said as a player, you fucking towelhead.

But pure passing ability? I'm taking Kidd, Pete, and Nash. Hell, pure offensive ability, I'm taking Pete and Nash.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-28-2010, 11:38 AM
We all know how critical I've been of Nash's defense, but it has been good in the playoffs. He did what he needed to do preventing Rudy Fernandez from finding his stroke, and he was far from getting dominated by Parker and George Hill like everyone thought he would. As much as I hate the zone, he's done a good job at playing his role in it. His offense in game 1 & 2 of this series was what I had a problem with.

Nash isn't gonna lead a team to a championship because you can't build a team around a PG. There's a very small chance Nash can make the finals before he retires, but it'll be in a reduced role far from the MVP of said team. No disrespect to him by saying this, he'd make a great 6th man who would still be in during crunch time, but his role would be to play 25-30 minutes and lead the 2nd unit. As effective as the 2nd unit was during the regular season, the Dragic-Amundson pick and roll is getting shut down.

stretch
05-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Or maybe I should reword it as MOST SKILLED offensive PG of all time. Nash is a beast.

Killakobe81
05-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Best OFFENSIVE PG off all-time, IMO. There is absolutely NOTHING the guy can't do offensively (except in-game dunking lol). He is probably the best jumpshooter the game has ever seen, finishes well with contact, has great fake moves, great footwork, and is as good of a passer as the NBA has ever seen (IMO only Pistol Pete and Jason Kidd is on the same level of pure passing ability as Nash. No, not even Magic is on that level, you Laker fucks). If you need a jump in your offense whether it's by penetration, shooting, passing, running, etc... Steve Nash is as good as it gets at PG.

Nash is really good but best all-time ...No.

stretch
05-28-2010, 11:40 AM

thats why I re-worded it, hes the most offensively SKILLED PG the game has seen.

stretch
05-28-2010, 11:45 AM

I think he was definitely deserving of both of them as well. He took a team from having like a 20 win season to a 60 win season and the best record in the NBA in 05 (while shaq who some people felt truly deserved it which is a load of shit, took a team who was already young and up-and-coming being the 4th seed in the East the previous year, just to the 1st seed in the EAST :rolleyes). Then in 06 he lost his best teammate in Amare (who had a sick season the year before, thanks to Nash) and still got them to have the 3rd best record in the West, made Boris Diaw actually look like a legit C, face raped Kobe (who people were saying SHOULD have been the MVP :rolleyes) and his Lakers, and got back to the WCF.

Nash was completely deserving of his MVPs. He took teams that fucking sucked without him, and got them to the WCF two straight years.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Yeah I agree most skilled offensively is a good title, but overall Magic was more dangerous on offense just because he was so physically superior to Nash. God only knows where Magic would be ranked career wise in stuff like all time assists if he didn't retire early.

stretch
05-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah I agree most skilled offensively is a good title, but overall Magic was more dangerous on offense just because he was so physically superior to Nash. God only knows where Magic would be ranked career wise in stuff like all time assists if he didn't retire early.

I agree. Nash is without question more skilled than Magic in pretty much every aspect on offense, but his size advantage is what made him so unique.

Giuseppe
05-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Nash still quit on Porter and conspired to mutiny his fellows Suns...ipso facto: I must lodge a TAINT upon Nash's career.

In for penny....in for pound.

stretch
05-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Nash still quit on Porter and conspired to mutiny his fellows Suns...ipso facto: I must lodge a TAINT upon Nash's career.

In for penny....in for pound.

and Magic and his lakers quit in the WCF against houston (WTF?) because they were afraid with their injuries that they would get fucking demolished in the Finals by Boston in 86. thats about the biggest pussy move in NBA history :lmao

Giuseppe
05-28-2010, 12:10 PM
and Magic and his lakers quit in the WCF against houston (WTF?) because they were afraid with their injuries that they would get fucking demolished in the Finals by Boston in 86. thats about the biggest pussy move in NBA history :lmao

Then by all means you're entitled to lodge a TAINT upon those players, Stretch.

sook
05-28-2010, 02:11 PM
i have to agree with this statement. Nash has has been the best of this era.

sook
05-28-2010, 02:12 PM
There was also this crazy stat calculator that showed nash was the greatest / most efficient SHOOTER in the history of the game. The rest was expected, bird, allen, miller but Nash was ahead by quite a statistically significant margin.

stretch
05-28-2010, 02:28 PM
There was also this crazy stat calculator that showed nash was the greatest / most efficient SHOOTER in the history of the game. The rest was expected, bird, allen, miller but Nash was ahead by quite a statistically significant margin.

Nash is the best shooter ever. There isn't a single type of jumpshot he can't make. Pull-up, fade-away, on the run, to the side, set, not set, off balance, one foot, one handed, etc... he can do it all.

TampaDude
05-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Nash is the best shooter ever. There isn't a single type of jumpshot he can't make. Pull-up, fade-away, on the run, to the side, set, not set, off balance, one foot, one handed, etc... he can do it all.

Yup...he's a stone-cold assassin. :toast

mingus
05-28-2010, 02:49 PM
his only problem is his defense. one year, in '07, they had a very good post defensive player in Kurt Thomas. that was the year they would've won the championship had the stupid suspensions not occured. since then they've not had a guy like that. McDyess would be great for them both defenisvely and offensively. they probably would've tried signing him had they thought they had such a great team. their post-defensive just sucks right now. When Frye and Amare are both in the game it's ridiculous how many points the Laker's are getting due to lack of defense down there. Lopez sort of addresses that issue, but not really.

21_Blessings
05-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I agree. Nash is without question more skilled than Magic in pretty much every aspect on offense, but his size advantage is what made him so unique.

Haha. This is straight up crazy talk. The only thing Nash really has on Magic is outside shooting.

Magic was better in the open court, better finisher, superior handles and court vision. Better passer, easily. Like Nash could ever develop an effective post game. :lmao

Magic = 9 finals in 11 years. Nash?? :lol

Holy shit you ripped this garbage straight from a Bill Simmons blog I mean column. :lmao :lmao Kill yourself. Seriously.

Oh and Hakeem and Sampson SUCKED! Right??

Pero
05-28-2010, 02:52 PM
that was the year they would've won the championship had the stupid suspensions not occured.

Hi Suns fan.

mingus
05-28-2010, 02:54 PM
lmao. basketball fan first, buddy. that was a bad suspension in terms of the quality of NBA basketball.

TampaDude
05-28-2010, 02:56 PM
his only problem is his defense. one year, in '07, they had a very good post defensive player in Kurt Thomas. that was the year they would've won the championship had the stupid suspensions not occured.

Ah...the memories...

lnSxGriD6GA

That was the defining moment of the 2007 NBA Playoffs.

Pero
05-28-2010, 02:59 PM
lmao. basketball fan first, buddy. that was a bad suspension in terms of the quality of NBA basketball.

That wasn't my point. There's no way of knowing the Suns would've won the series. Except for Suns fan that is. :lol

lefty
05-28-2010, 03:06 PM
I agree

TE
05-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Wow, some of you laker posters are just plain arrogant pricks who are nothing more than a bunch of hypocrite asshole bastards. Give it to the fucking guy. Nash is a b-ball genius. I am a loyal Spurs fan who has watched the last ten years fold out and I have to admit that Nash has been the greatest point guard of this generation (CP3, one day you will grace this mentioning). Last night was an MVP type performance. And yesterdays gut wrenching Suns loss is a prime indication that the Lakers are far superior to anyone in the West. For you Laker fans who are annoying and don't give credit where credit is due, one word: stop giving Laker pride head. Give it up as true basketball fans and admit that Nash is the best PG, and one of the best players ever to play. :ihit

21_Blessings
05-28-2010, 03:11 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2003.html

Magic is taking that team to the finals. 2004 team most likely too. With Malone being hurt and all.

stretch
05-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Haha. This is straight up crazy talk. The only thing Nash really has on Magic is outside shooting.

Magic was better in the open court, better finisher, superior handles and court vision. Better passer, easily.

You're a fucking idiot.

Magic is the better player, yes. But what made him better was not a matter of skills, but his size advantages. But in terms of pure skills, Steve Nash is arguably the most SKILLED player in the NBA, the only other person in the discussion being Kobe. Nash is skilled out the ass. He doesn't have the physical and athletic advantages that other guys have, but he's definitely as skilled of a player as the NBA has ever seen. And to think that he would not be able to have a post game if he had Magic's size is fucking retarded, as Nash has some of the best footwork any player in NBA history has ever had. I'm sure he would have no problem with a post game if he had a few extra inches of height.

But you're too fucking stupid to understand that skill and size are two completely different things.

Giuseppe
05-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Wow, some of you laker posters are just plain arrogant pricks who are nothing more than a bunch of hypocrite asshole bastards.

Ain't me....Kobe quit. Rodman quit. Amare quit. Nash quit.

Just checkin' assholes.

stretch
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2003.html

Magic is taking that team to the finals. 2004 team most likely too. With Malone being hurt and all.

No.

Girasuck
05-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Yes...Nash is probably the best shooting PG of all-time (some might argue that Mark Price is) but if you think Nash is a better pure passer than Stockton was, then you're a fucking idiot.

stretch
05-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Yes...Nash is probably the best shooting PG of all-time (some might argue that Mark Price is) but if you think Nash is a better pure passer than Stockton was, then you're a fucking idiot.

I think you're the fucking idiot if you don't think they are at least equal.

Pelicans78
05-28-2010, 04:54 PM
I think you're the fucking idiot if you don't think they are at least equal.

I think CP3 is an equal passer to Nash.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-28-2010, 05:07 PM
CP3 is an assist whore, not a great passer. There's a difference.

redzero
05-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Chris Paul should let other great playmakers on his team like Peja and D-West make some decisions some times.

Pelicans78
05-28-2010, 05:49 PM
CP3 is an assist whore, not a great passer. There's a difference.

Maybe we oughta run the offense through Okafor.

21_Blessings
05-29-2010, 04:29 AM
You're a fucking idiot.

Copy paste some more Bill Simmons dude. It's all you're good for.

Magic is the better player, yes.

Not only was a Magic a better basketball player than Steve Nash, he was an infinitely better POINT GUARD. I gave you reasons above. Steve Nash doesn't come close to the overall PG skills Magic brought. The only thing he has on Magic is shooting. That's it. If you think SKILL is predominately shooting based then you're nothing but a fat fucking shut-in that has never touched a basketball in his life.

But what made him better was not a matter of skills, but his size advantages.

Haha. Look how dumb you are. His size advantages allowed him to play every position on the floor. His skill as a PG is a different story entirely. If you actually watched Magic play and not just stream some random youtube clips you would realize that. Instead you're just a flaming faggot that has a hard-on for Nash.

But in terms of pure skills, Steve Nash is arguably the most SKILLED player in the NBA, the only other person in the discussion being Kobe.

Nash isn't even in the discussion with Kobe. You're delusional.

He doesn't have the physical and athletic advantages that other guys have, but he's definitely as skilled of a player as the NBA has ever seen.

Nash is one of the best shooters ever. That's it. He's definitely extremely skilled but his skill has been trumped by much better NBA players over the course of its history.

And to think that he would not be able to have a post game if he had Magic's size is fucking retarded, as Nash has some of the best footwork any player in NBA history has ever had. I'm sure he would have no problem with a post game if he had a few extra inches of height.

Magic developing a sky hook doesn't have anything to do with size. Nash could post up guys like Fisher and Farmar if he actually had a post game. Which Steve Nash doesn't. You can't be in the argument for best footwork ever and not have any resemblance of a post game. Sorry. Saying Nash has the best footwork in history has no basis in reality. Shut the fuck up.

Just because his white ass grew up playing soccer doesn't equate to BEST FOOTWORK EVER.

If all it took to be Magic was size than we would have seen another one by now. Which we haven't. Nash is in the same category as Mark Price. Still can't even hold Stockton or Isiah's jock though. Nash's game is completely system dependent. He needs an all offense no defense gimmick system to flourish and that doesn't win in the NBA playoffs.

But you're too fucking stupid to understand that skill and size are two completely different things.

You're too fucking stupid to understand what kind of a player Magic was. You're just ignorant. Even mentioning Nash in the same breath as Magic is laughable. Saying he was more skilled and Magic was only better due to size is certifiably crazy.

21_Blessings
05-29-2010, 04:31 AM
No.

Yes. Nash has never been out of the WCF for a reason. That's despite playing on teams full of talent most of his career.