PDA

View Full Version : Nash vs. Gasol..

HarlemHeat37
05-27-2010, 11:27 PM
So is the media or the Duncan bashers going to talk about how Nash kept scoring against Gasol in 1 on 1 situations off the switches?..

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Why would they do that? He plays for the Lakers and they're in no hurry to see him fall off a cliff. It's science.

TD 21
05-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Not only is Nash torching him, but he's averaging something like a paltry 6 rpg against the undersized Suns front line.

I told you Harlem, as good as he is, he's become overrated. People think of him as a stand alone superstar now and he's just not that type of player. He's a legit star and is at the point where he'll be a perennial All-Star and All-NBA team member, but Stoudemire's been at that level for years. Why is it in his case he's thought of as the beneficiary of Nash, but Gasol isn't thought of as the beneficiary of the situation he's in?

A situation where he doesn't have to be the number one option and therefore isn't the focus of the opposition's defense, where he has an All-Star caliber center and combo forward flanking him on the front line and where he get's to play stretches every game (when Bynum is in) where he feasts off of PF's, despite the fact that he's taller than most C's.

Mel_13
05-27-2010, 11:51 PM
So is the media or the Duncan bashers going to talk about how Nash kept scoring against Gasol in 1 on 1 situations off the switches?..

:lol

Aside from the obvious media bias, there are some less nefarious reasons for the disparity in reporting.

An earlier version of Duncan was more effective against Nash than the current version. Duncan is being compared to a better version of himself. So Duncan's decline becomes part of the narrative and Steve's offensive skill is downplayed to a degree.

Gasol has never been a great defender. Seeing him get torched by Nash doesn't strike the viewer as anything out of the ordinary. So, Nash is given all the credit for being a great offensive player without criticizing Gasol's defense.

Blackjack
05-27-2010, 11:55 PM
And it's science.

crc21209
05-28-2010, 01:21 AM
No of course not, It's the Lakers...

Disturbed
05-28-2010, 01:51 AM
No of course not, It's the Lakers...

Lakers don't get criticized when they lose? I guess Kobe hasn't been called a ball hog a billion times and Gasol hasn't been called soft a billion times from the media. And all anyone was saying during the first 4 games of the first round was how Kobe was old. Charles Barkley was saying Kobe was done and should defer to Pau and Bynum for the rest of his career. Even after Kobe scored over 30 every game of the 4 game sweep of the Jazz and shot over 50% Charles said Lakers winning had nothing to do with Kobe.

I mean really? Lakers are talked about more by the media yes, but a lot of it is just to shit on them.

crc21209
05-28-2010, 03:13 AM
Lakers don't get criticized when they lose? I guess Kobe hasn't been called a ball hog a billion times and Gasol hasn't been called soft a billion times from the media. And all anyone was saying during the first 4 games of the first round was how Kobe was old. Charles Barkley was saying Kobe was done and should defer to Pau and Bynum for the rest of his career. Even after Kobe scored over 30 every game of the 4 game sweep of the Jazz and shot over 50% Charles said Lakers winning had nothing to do with Kobe.

I mean really? Lakers are talked about more by the media yes, but a lot of it is just to shit on them.

Did I say Barkley? Huh? Huh? No. Everyone knows Barkely talks shit about every team basically. He'll like one team one week then the next week he'll talk trash about them. BSPN is the network that is all over the Lakers..clearly.

21_Blessings
05-28-2010, 05:44 AM
:lmao

Insecurity issues, Spur fan?

Pero
05-28-2010, 06:14 AM

Gasol isn't being swept out of the playoffs.

Pero
05-28-2010, 06:19 AM
He's a legit star and is at the point where he'll be a perennial All-Star and All-NBA team member, but Stoudemire's been at that level for years. Why is it in his case he's thought of as the beneficiary of Nash, but Gasol isn't thought of as the beneficiary of the situation he's in?

Because Nash lead the Suns to WCF without Amare. Kobe on the other hand couldn't get out of the first round without Pau. :lol

Jason R
05-28-2010, 08:34 AM

No more insecure than a Lakers fan trolling a Spurs forum.

crc21209
05-28-2010, 11:09 AM

:sleep...Go do what you do best, and :cry :cry :cry over at the NBA forum..

Harry Callahan
05-28-2010, 11:19 AM
No more insecure than a Lakers fan trolling a Spurs forum.

21 D-Bags is doing what he does. Being a tool. He shows up when the Lakers win with inane comments and disappears when they lose. Nothing new.

Xolotl
05-28-2010, 11:22 AM

I like how you immediately play the insecurity card....you don't try to bring in a valid counter argument to the OP, or to anything anybody has said so far.... so really you just look like a myopic Laker fan

8FOR!3
05-28-2010, 12:06 PM
I noticed this as well. I told my dad Nash is doing the same thing he did to Duncan to the "most talented big man in the leaguez!!!11"

HarlemHeat37
05-28-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm not necessarily talking about Gasol here, so I'm not trying to shit on him or anything..

Duncan being swept is irrelevant, because they were talking about this well before the Spurs lost the series..

The point is that the media was shitting on Duncan for getting beat on the perimeter by an elite PG, which is stupid, but then the exact same thing is happening to Gasol in their series, but nobody is talking about it..

Mel's point makes sense, but is still rings true..

HarlemHeat37
05-28-2010, 12:16 PM

lol "Mike Conley is better than Rondo"..

phxspurfan
05-28-2010, 01:16 PM
The announcers did say this in the game (early on, maybe 2nd or early 3rd qtr game 5). They said something like Nash was draining jumpers over Tim, even when the Spurs would switch on picks.

What surprised me was that the Lakers were watching tape on the Spurs-Suns series and decided to adopt the switch on picks style that the Spurs used (at least for stretches). Why adopt a style that failed so badly?

And of course it showed less than a quarter later, as Nash started drilling the same jumpers over Pau. Nash no doubt practices those high arc/fading shots since he knows teams will try to switch to stop his pick and roll.

ducks
05-29-2010, 11:26 PM
2-9 tonight

ron bailed his ass out