PDA

View Full Version : Toddler dies after rushed to hospital from George Gervin Academy...

sa_butta
05-28-2010, 12:25 PM
SAN ANTONIO -- A toddler died after he was rushed from his day care center to the hospital.

Workers at the George Gervin Learning Center called 9-1-1 Wednesday when the boy started having breathing problems. EMS was able to get him to a local hospital where he later died.

The executive director of the day care center told News 4 WOAI the boy had a condition that required him to have a breathing tube.

News 4 WOAI did some digging and found the George Gervin Learning Center has been cited 6 times by the state in the past year and a half. The latest two were earlier this month, when caregivers were said to be "negligent," one worker for using her cell phone while at work and the other for leaving the room while the children she was watching slept.

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Toddler-dies-after-rushed-to-hospital-from-day/EoHhlTC3fkejyZYvbvE5yg.cspx

Cry Havoc
05-28-2010, 01:20 PM
So it's the day care's fault that he was having breathing problems?

What?

Bender
05-28-2010, 01:27 PM
So it's the day care's fault that he was having breathing problems?

What?

yep. America - where it's always someone else's fault...

easjer
05-28-2010, 02:06 PM
I wonder what the citations were - what level I mean.

Because I know plenty of parents who wouldn't necessarily met state requirements for care - they use their cell phones, watch tv, play on the internet, read books while their children are at home in their care. Also leave the room while they sleep.

Obviously you want your daycare to be above and beyond, but those don't sound like serious safety violations to me.

And the boy was required to have a breathing tube. Sounds like sensationalist reporting more than anything.

mrsmaalox
05-28-2010, 02:27 PM
And the boy was required to have a breathing tube. Sounds like sensationalist reporting more than anything.

Exactly. If he required a breathing tube anyway, I'd suspect some sort of equipment malfunction.

BlackSwordsMan
05-28-2010, 02:29 PM
gary coleman?

xellos88330
05-28-2010, 05:24 PM
gary coleman?

I was wondering when someone would say that. :wow

Nathan Explosion
05-28-2010, 05:26 PM
So you can't leave the room while your children sleep? Wow, I'd be in trouble big time. I mean, when my 3 year old and 19 month old sleep, that's the time I use to clean my apartment and do laundry. When you're a single parent, you have to make time to do chores or they'll never get done.

Nap time is the best time to do anything. I wonder what they'll say about me making dinner in the kitchen while the kids play or watch movies in their room? Am I a bad parent for wanting to cook meals instead of getting take out every day so I can watch my kids every second?

Wild Cobra
05-28-2010, 08:04 PM
yep. America - where it's always someone else's fault...
You mean it's not president Bush's fault this time?

Trainwreck2100
05-29-2010, 01:33 AM
gary coleman?

Dude.................that's cold

ashbeeigh
05-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Because I know plenty of parents who wouldn't necessarily met state requirements for care - they use their cell phones, watch tv, play on the internet, read books while their children are at home in their care. Also leave the room while they sleep.

We talk about this all the time at our office. We hold our foster and adoptive parents to very very high standards. Writing down when they even give a child a tylenol, not even touching them to move them away from a dangerous place, not yelling at them, etc. And they'll get citations for them and it sucks telling the parents that "Oh you forgot to say you gave him a tylenool so I have to cite you..."

All these rules come from the state and the same board that governs daycares. Even my boss has told her husband, "Let's see if we can live up to Minimum standards for a week..." They lasted a good 4 hours....not to say they aren't good parents...it's just very very strict...like you said.

It's horrible this child was lost in this way. I think we should be talking about WHY the child was on a breathing tube and mourning the loss more than harping on the daycare. I just hope it doesn't get picked up by like the Today show or something.

ploto
05-29-2010, 03:39 PM
I always wondered about the ones that require the kid to have his or her own bedroom, as if tons of us did not grow up fine sharing a room with a sibling.

...not even touching them to move them away from a dangerous place.
Not only does this make no sense, it is also counterintuitive to anyone with parental instincts.

ashbeeigh
05-29-2010, 06:37 PM
I always wondered about the ones that require the kid to have his or her own bedroom, as if tons of us did not grow up fine sharing a room with a sibling.

Not only does this make no sense, it is also counterintuitive to anyone with parental instincts.

It is. And I understand how it sounds that way. We call it an "emergency restraint" and it has to be documented or the parent can be cited. There is absolutely no problem in it happening, it just has to be documented.

redzero
05-29-2010, 06:41 PM
You mean it's not president Bush's fault this time?

It's always Bush's fault, even when it isn't.