PDA

View Full Version : All-SpursTalk Awards: The Play-In

Blackjack
05-29-2010, 03:02 AM
All-SpursTalk: The Play-In

With the first ever All-SpursTalk poll now concluded, the Third Team is set and we've found eight members make a five-man team; call it a maiden voyage or an infancy ... this concept has taken it's bumps and dealt with growing pains along the way. But, be that as it may, it's begun to take shape and work itself out.

Given that this is something for the people and by the people, your comments have not fallen on deaf ears. Therefore, in an effort to be as transparent and fair as possible, I've decided to put the nominees that received between 6-8 votes together and allow you, the SpursTalk community, to decide which five of these nominees will have an opportunity to compete for First Team honors. As for the transparency, I'll withhold the names for now but hear's how the vote totals look:

First-place: 13

Second-place: 11

Third-Place: Three tied with 10

Sixth-place: Two tied with 9

By virtue of the first-place's clear edge and win of the initial poll, this member has already been named to the First Team. Receiving 13 of 21 votes simply can't be ignored and the reward of First Team honors seems not only fair but appropriate.

The second tier of nominees breaks down like this:

Eighth-place: Three tied with 8

Eleventh-place: Two tied with 7

Thirteenth-place: Two tied with 6 (Pistons < Spurs and Solid D)

Upon All-SpursTalk's first poll, Pistons < Spurs and Solid D were to be placed on the Second Team and joined by the five nominees with the lowest vote total in the final poll. But as one famous college football analyst might say:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1x1mvb2W23Q/Sh8Ut4sAxgI/AAAAAAAABf4/LPVRefV5cKA/s400/corso.jpg

NOT SO FAST, MY FRIENDS!

Given the convincing win of Solid D and the impressive second-place finish of Pistons < Spurs, it seems only fair to give them the same opportunity the nominees with 7 or 8 votes have. So this poll will decide two-sevenths of the Second Team and set up a final poll where the remaining eleven nominees look to fill six First Team slots and five Second Team slots.

Top-5 move on to compete for the First Team, the two remaining will be named to the Second Team. Fair? I thought so! When it comes to making deals or compromises, I find things go much easier when you just tell the other party what to do.

With that said, gimme ...
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/6411651/2/istockphoto_6411651-gimme-five.jpg
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3061170/2/istockphoto_3061170-gimme-five.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/2391705871_b120811c93_m.jpg

(Wait a second! :wtf Just to be clear . . .)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_R-sfcT5C6z0/R540-UAv1yI/AAAAAAAABEw/h33LhZfNDXc/s400/Give%2Bme%2B5%2BMonday%2Blogo.JPG

Gimme 5, poll ends Monday night (or, technically, Tuesday morning). :toast

Fpoonsie
05-29-2010, 03:08 AM
:lol

Woo-hoo! Let's go, Shoog!

Blackjack
05-29-2010, 03:08 AM
The same tiebreaker rules still apply, as well. :toast

Blackjack
05-29-2010, 03:12 AM
Remember, you're picking 5. The five leading vote-getters will compete with six others for six spots on the First Team and the 5 remaining spots on the Second Team.

Mel_13
05-29-2010, 03:16 AM
That was a really difficult choice.

Creative solution, Blackjack :tu

Fpoonsie
05-29-2010, 03:19 AM
Aw, FUCK.

RiF, and all that, I suppose.

Edit: So THAT's what all those "5"s were about.

Blackjack
05-29-2010, 03:22 AM
And there's still seven people yet to be named and six that will be thrown into a hat with the five winners from here to decide their fate. I told y'all these were some worthy nominees. :lol

Blackjack
05-29-2010, 03:23 AM
Aw, FUCK.

I take it you've had a better Friday night then I. :drunk

Fpoonsie
05-29-2010, 03:25 AM
Well, there was a graduation party (which ended up just depressing me), so I came back home, continued to imbibe my body weight in wheat beer, and watch "Lock, Stock..."

So, yeah, the night eventually picked up..

Blackjack
05-29-2010, 03:27 AM
Nice choice of movie. But you probably knew I'd approve. :hat

Chieflion
05-29-2010, 10:28 AM
You are witholding the names just to piss me off, Blackjack.

Blackjack
05-29-2010, 10:38 AM
A little bit. A little bit . . . :D

polandprzem
05-29-2010, 01:09 PM
ChumpDumper
duncan228
Piston < Spurs
ShoogarBear
Solid D

not particular order

Dro210
05-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Let's be real....

Phila should be the leading vote getter, no way he should be out of the Top 5. So I only voted for him... Can you really say anybody has better or more unique takes? The answer is no. He's usually pretty on-point with the current stuff, but what I love even more is he comes with all these old-school stories that you've never heard of anywhere else that are just badass. I think he may even have some inside sources! Legit ones. lol.

Seriously, I've never really checked for a specific poster on any forums, but this guys basketball knowledge and love of the game rivals my own... except his knowledge of the deep history of the game far exceeds my own!... and for that, Phila... Mad respect brother.

And what exactly makes ChumpDumper 1st team?... Is this based on the past?... Cause all I ever see from that guy is just him acting like a jerk. Putting other posters down cause he thinks he has some elite status. Some deserve it, some just don't know. It's usually pretty uncalled for tho, and the thread would be better if he just kept it to himself... either way, I've rarely, if ever seen any basketball takes from him. Just my observation.

Blackjack
05-29-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm not voting for some pretty obvious reason and I don't want to say anything that could possibly skew the vote (even if it's highly doubtful I could -- I don't have that kind of pull), but damn . . .

mountainballer might be the most underrated poster on this board. (But I guess he could just be suffering from the OG vote. :lol)

Dro210
05-29-2010, 04:54 PM
I haven't noticed mountainballer enough, but I've been seein him in the think tank recently... He has good takes, no doubt. :tu

ShoogarBear
05-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Screw the play-in. I'll coattail on the other six and kick the First Team's ass.

ShoogarBear
05-29-2010, 05:32 PM

Woo-hoo! Let's go, Shoog!

Aw, FUCK.

And this is my vote demographic. :lol

Fpoonsie
05-29-2010, 06:10 PM
And this is my vote demographic. :lol

I know. Not my best showing, thread-wise.

Ah, well. In my defense, you were running away w/ it at 100% after I put my vote in...thus, the premature celebration.

HarlemHeat37
05-29-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm going with Shoogar, Solid D, 228 and mountainballer..I'm waiting on the 5th..I'm going to wait and see if Pistons < Spurs will bring one of his great humility speeches to the thread before I vote, they're inspiring..

Shastafarian
05-29-2010, 07:17 PM
mountainballer is probably the best European poster here. He gets my vote

dbestpro
05-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Polls aside, Bruno remains the one indivdual in here that I would believe before any one else.

Chieflion
05-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Hey Blackjack, I vote for Dro210 all 5 times.

LOL at Phila with 1 vote outside the top 5.

Blackjack
05-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Screw the play-in. I'll coattail on the other six and kick the First Team's ass.

Oh, no, he di-int!?! We gonna have West Side Story up in this biatch . . .

Sounds to me Dro210 should've probably come forward with this revelation about a week earlier. :lol

Fabbs
05-30-2010, 01:45 AM
Let's be real....

And what exactly makes ChumpDumper 1st team?... Is this based on the past?... Cause all I ever see from that guy is just him acting like a jerk. Putting other posters down cause he thinks he has some elite status. Some deserve it, some just don't know. It's usually pretty uncalled for tho, and the thread would be better if he just kept it to himself... either way, I've rarely, if ever seen any basketball takes from him. Just my observation.

Does this awards poll have a safeguard to keep multipersonality multiTroll multiprofiles from voting for themselves multiple times? Is the answer an obvious "no"? :lol

*I'm not aiming this just at Humpy.

Supreme_Being
05-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Duncan228, hands down.

Johnson
05-30-2010, 12:02 PM
I this a vote for most popular, or a vote on who brings the most bball knowledge and quality posting?

mountainballer should have more votes, IIRC he brings good takes.

D228 is one of my favorites, but she mostly just copies & pastes existing articles as a favor to the rest of us, which I appreciate since this is the main NBA site that I visit. However, in terms of "quality takes", well... no.

Fpoonsie
05-30-2010, 12:08 PM
I think it's whatever you as the voter value more, be it "solid takes" (CD, mountainballer, Solid D, Phila), humor (P<S, Shoog) or simply sparking discussion (d228). If you place more stock into one contribution than the other, then vote accordingly.

mogrovejo
05-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Pistons<Spurs brings very good basketball takes wrapped up in good humour.

SB + SPIE bring excellent humour wrapped up in solid basketball takes.

Can go both ways.

Blackjack
05-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Fpoosnie pretty much covered it but this all came about from the "Raising the Bar" campaign and is essentially about whatever means it takes to do it.

This is supposed to be an awards vote based on one's ability to raise the bar for this past year with their quality of contribution. The nominees that you feel have brought the quality consistently and have been a big part in raising the bar here at SpursTalk are who you should be voting for.

Obviously quality of contribution is subjective and open to your own interpretation but if you feel a nominee brought the passion to do what they do well consistently over this past year, I'd deem that "Raising the Bar" worthy.

Blackjack
05-30-2010, 12:56 PM
To be fair, you are sleeping.

Fabbs
05-30-2010, 01:41 PM
I nominate boutons_deux for his fantastic finds of spot on articles in the Political section.

Can one of you multiTrolls multivote boutons in?

Dro210
05-30-2010, 07:44 PM

Haha... nice :lol :toast

5 votes should get me on the Honorable Mention list.

jack sommerset
05-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Fag thread

Blackjack
05-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Fag thread

Raising the bar does not come without its dangers. For one, you could drop the bar resulting in the the brain damage of an innocent bystander.

I hope you'll find adequate compensation from this most unfortunate incident, jack. :toast

ShoogarBear
05-30-2010, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't drop anything around jack.

Blackjack
05-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Well, fortunately for us and unfortunately for him, it was dropped on and not around. :downspin:

marini martini
05-30-2010, 10:50 PM
żżżǝpɐɹƃ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐɯ ı op ĦĦĦǝıʍoz ǝıʍoʍ os

Blackjack
05-30-2010, 10:56 PM
żżżǝpɐɹƃ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐɯ ı op ĦĦĦǝıʍoz ǝıʍoʍ os

I realize you do some of your best work upside down and I can appreciate the post, but you probably should have utilized that particular talent before the vote. ;)

Blackjack
05-31-2010, 07:08 PM
7-hours to go, y'all.

If you haven't voted and would like to, now's the time to do it; looks like it's coming down to Phila_ or Pistons < Spurs for that final spot to compete for First Team.

Blackjack
05-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Correction: It looks like it's coming down to ChumpDumper, duncan228, Phil_Chamberlain and Pistons < Spurs; apparently the family, fan clubs and trolls have been notified. :lol

Brazil
05-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Moutainballer deserved it too IMO

ElNono
05-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Chump making a solid push with his troll accounts :tu

Blackjack
05-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Two can play that game! Too bad I don't give that much of a damn.

[... Phila_Chamberlain then closes his window and signs in under an assumed name to vote again.]

ElNono
05-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Who is that Chamber_Philalain guy? :lol

Blackjack
05-31-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm sure it's just a random guy who had to change up his name because Phila_Chamberlain was taken. I choose not to be cynical; so what if the name's close and he only registered 2-hours ago when Phila_ was down 3 to 228, two to Chump and has since garnered about 8 votes.

I'm sure it's completely above board and beyond reproach. :tu

Blackjack
05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
I think it has more to do with curiousity of my promised inside info than the alternate accounts I do not own.

I'm all about numbers, bro. I don't care much about "vote integrity;" I learn from our fine political parties.

But I'll go with the inside info. Fine by me!

Again, I'm all about the bottom line. :hat

BWS-1994
05-31-2010, 09:39 PM
I was hoping to put 3 votes for mountainballer...

Blackjack
05-31-2010, 09:44 PM
I think mountainballer just happened to get surrounded by some OGs and seasoned vets that have established themselves and names over a longer period of time.

mountainballer is absolutely one of the best here. :tu

Blackjack
05-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Oh I already told you what I have to say.

Of course you did ...

http://spurstalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=107&pictureid=1321

after I bribed you.

Blackjack
06-01-2010, 02:30 AM
Thirty-minutes. Thirrrrrrrrrrty-minutes!

Blackjack
06-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Congratulations to ChumpDumper, duncan228, Phila_Chamberlain, ShoogarBear and Solid D, they'll now have the opportunity to vie for First Team.

ChumpDumper edged out Pistons < Spurs 7-6 in the initial nomination vote, which is the first tiebreaker. He will join mountainballer and five-of-the-eleven who will be involved in the final poll, which should be up later this afternoon. Seeing posters like mountainballer and Pistons < Spurs and who they'll potentially be joined by ... that's going to be one hell of a Second Team.