PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Trickle-down theory works well

Kori Ellis
05-12-2005, 01:07 AM
Trickle-down theory works well: Barry, Parker reap benefits of Ginobili coming off the bench
Web Posted: 05/12/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051205.9C.BKNspurs.ginobili.265e79e83.html

The NBA officially announced its Coach of the Year on Wednesday, with the Phoenix Suns' Mike D'Antoni taking home the Red Auerbach Trophy.

Seattle's Nate McMillan finished third, just a few points behind second-place Rick Carlisle of Indiana.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich received one second-place vote from the 126 media members who cast ballots.

Popovich, though, may be the unofficial leader for Coach of the Playoffs.

The move Popovich made before Game 2 of the Spurs' first-round series against the Denver Nuggets, replacing Manu Ginobili in the starting lineup with Brent Barry, has proven to be a stroke of genius. The Spurs are 5-0 since Popovich made the change, which appears to have benefited both Barry and Ginobili.

As the Spurs prepared to depart San Antonio on Wednesday afternoon, Ginobili gave the move yet another endorsement.

"I'm just glad that doing that change has helped the team," said Ginobili, whose 28 points off the bench helped to lead the Spurs to a second-straight blowout victory over the Seattle SuperSonics in Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals.

"The team is playing better, getting better, so we just had to do it. My approach is the same, win or lose, same as starting."

What seems evident since the change was made is the added offensive aggressiveness of point guard Tony Parker and the increased level of confidence in Barry's play when he is on the court at the outset with Parker and Tim Duncan.

It is just as clear that Ginobili has entered each game, typically after about the first five minutes, looking to make an immediate and dramatic impact. In four of the five games he has come off the bench, his first shot of the game has been a 3-pointer, successful on each of the four occasions.

"It's great to make it, because it helps your confidence," Ginobili said. "But I just take what the game gives me. The first time, it really helps my confidence, so I'm going to look for it. But if I've got a drive or a drop-off on the first one I just go ahead and do it."

The All-Star from Argentina also appears to be benefiting from the increased focus the Sonics are applying to Parker from the opening tip. He has found his lanes to the basket from the perimeter more easily.

"They were worried about Tony more because of what he did in Game 1," Ginobili said. "So those were the circumstances that allowed me to attack the basket so much."

Ginobili actually did get another "starting" assignment in Game 2. With Bowen having picked up three first-half fouls, Popovich elected to open the second half with Ginobili back at the shooting guard spot he had occupied throughout the regular season and Barry taking the small forward spot and, with it, the tough defensive assignment on 6-foot-10 Sonics All-Star forward Rashard Lewis.

That meant Ginobili had to defend Seattle's top scorer, Ray Allen, who had drawn all three of Bowen's first-half fouls and who got two more quick calls on Bowen after he re-entered in the second half. Bowen ultimately logged only 17 minutes, called for five fouls in that time.

"It was really hard to do what Bruce did," Ginobili said. "Five fouls in 17 minutes, and many of them were really tough calls. He was very professional and didn't say a word — kept playing. When Bruce went back to the bench, I tried to stop Ray Allen a little bit, and then Brent Barry did a great job on him. It was a whole team effort."

baseline bum
05-12-2005, 01:38 AM
The Spurs are 6-0 since Pop made the change.

TMTTRIO
05-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Manu is a winner. He'll let nothing get into his head and all he cares about is winning no matter what it takes. It looks like we got a huge steal with him this past summer.