PDA

View Full Version : RJ will be good next season

Riverwalkman
05-29-2010, 10:22 AM
If he had done anything wrong, that is, he did not meet our high expectation. He failed to prove himself an elite swingman, I remember somewhere RJ was ranked in league's top 5 SFs.

Now that he's not likely to opt out his contract, the only thing we can do is giving him our support, hopefully some positive information will be of a little help. Of course Pop will figure out the best way for him to play, and like someone in the forum said, RJ helped us got at least 15 more wins in regular season, without which we couldn't even enter playoffs.

Anyway, let's look forward to a new RJ next year, and stop complaining, stop cursing, give your support to this guy!

eisfeld
05-29-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm confident he'll improve next season but I doubt it will be much.

Well, Jefferson never was Top 5 SF - He's lucky if he's Top 10.

Guajalote
05-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I mentioned this in another thread a while back, but I'm hoping that the FO holds onto him until the trade deadline. If you'll remember, last year not too many Suns fans were thrilled with Jason Richardson. Granted, he had that high profile missed dunk against us that cost them that game, but in the playoffs, he gave us no shortage of problems. He was hitting threes with regularity and driving when we tried to cover him.

I'm hoping the same happens with RJ. Maybe after an entire year, he'll have a better idea how to find his spots. Of course, you can wish in one hand...

mingus
05-29-2010, 02:22 PM
all roles players need to be able to do in this system is knock down threes. i don't see why that isn't possible for any NBA player who puts in the work in the off-season. it's really not that difficult. i had teammates on my high school team that were better 3-point shooters than RJ. George Hill's improvement this year can be marked in large part by his ability to hit the 3 with regularity. the 3, it's not an asset or a luxury in this system. it's a requirement. no SA Spurs team has gone on to win a championship with sub-par 3-point shooting. he absolutely needs to put in the work in that area for this team to be successful next season.

spursfan1000
05-29-2010, 02:25 PM
For sure Jefferson will do better next season but will it be enough to make Spurs a title contender again? He needs to do everything if Spurs have any hopes or contending next year like making open 3's and driving to the lane and getting easy basket or getting fouled.

Muser
05-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Contract year.

Ginobili2Duncan
05-29-2010, 02:36 PM
One would hope. But don't be suprised if the Spurs try to move him this offseason.

mathbzh
05-29-2010, 02:53 PM
George Hill's improvement this year can be marked in large part by his ability to hit the 3 with regularity. the 3, it's not an asset or a luxury in this system. it's a requirement. no SA Spurs team has gone on to win a championship with sub-par 3-point shooting. he absolutely needs to put in the work in that area for this team to be successful next season.

The good news is that Jefferson was coming from 3 consecutive 36% or better season. I guess this season he just had some confidence issue with his problems to adapt to a new role.
The bad one is that it is not like he is 20 yo and can improve much. I suppose 36% is what you can expect from him... 40% like he did with the Bucks is probably a reach.

benefactor
05-29-2010, 04:08 PM
lol

NewJerSpur
05-29-2010, 04:41 PM
One would hope. But don't be suprised if the Spurs try to move him this offseason.

Sure wouldn't mind it if there were any takers.

For me, it's not a question of him being good or bad per se, but playing with the same effort/consistency from game-to-game, especially when his offense is lacking or he is not being featured as much on that end of the floor. He still has the physical ability to be an above average rebounder and a solid [help] defender at the rim, but will he bring that to the table every night....or even every other night for that matter.

How can the Spurs help him (again, this is in the event that he comes back for any length of time): create more offensive opportunities for him along the lines of Ray Allen where you get him coming off of down screens and hit him with the ball more on the move so he can either get some momentum going to the basket for a pullup jumper or a layup opportunity.....this would also take away the need to have to dribble penetrate primarily to set the table for him like Manu was doing to end the season.

TimDunkem
05-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I mentioned this in another thread a while back, but I'm hoping that the FO holds onto him until the trade deadline. If you'll remember, last year not too many Suns fans were thrilled with Jason Richardson. Granted, he had that high profile missed dunk against us that cost them that game, but in the playoffs, he gave us no shortage of problems. He was hitting threes with regularity and driving when we tried to cover him.

I'm hoping the same happens with RJ. Maybe after an entire year, he'll have a better idea how to find his spots. Of course, you can wish in one hand...
Richardson is a shooter. RJ is not.

Big P
05-29-2010, 05:09 PM
More than likely you are right, rj will be good next year....on another team.

ploto
05-29-2010, 05:11 PM
I really do not expect all that much improvement because I just don't think he is all that bright- sorry RJ.

Mel_13
05-29-2010, 05:21 PM
If he had done anything wrong, that is, he did not meet our high expectation. He failed to prove himself an elite swingman, I remember somewhere RJ was ranked in league's top 5 SFs.

Now that he's not likely to opt out his contract, the only thing we can do is giving him our support, hopefully some positive information will be of a little help. Of course Pop will figure out the best way for him to play, and like someone in the forum said, RJ helped us got at least 15 more wins in regular season, without which we couldn't even enter playoffs.

Anyway, let's look forward to a new RJ next year, and stop complaining, stop cursing, give your support to this guy!

New seasons are always cause for optimism, but for the Spurs and RJ there is a realistic basis to have high hopes.

Just look at the top 7 rotation players that are under contract and figure to return:

Tim
Tony
Manu
Dice
RJ
Hill
Blair

Last year that group included three new players, one star guard who hadn't played competitive basketball in six months, and another star guard who wouldn't shake off a series of injuries until the very end of the season. It was not the optimal situation for seamlessly integrating a new starter.

That group now has a year as teammates under their belts, including 10 playoff games. As a group, they should be able to start training camp at a point much closer to regular season form than last season. As a group, they should be able to get off to a better start to the season.

Those seven returning players plus Splitter make for a very nice top 8. I like RJ's chances to make a more consistent contribution under those more favorable circumstances.

TD 21
05-29-2010, 05:45 PM
There's that, the fact that he seems like he genuinely cares and more importantly he'll be 30 by the time next season starts, has never had has value been lower since he came into the league and has one good contract left in him. How lucrative that contract is is going to be based in large part off of his play next season.

Also, he now knows what to expect/the standard he's held to playing for this organization, coach and with this core group of players (save for Splitter). So the bad habits that he had developed in recent seasons shouldn't be there from day one next season.

I assume he knows that offensively he's got to get back to being a solid three point shooter from the corners to thrive in this offense. He may not shoot 39% like he did with the Bucks, but I doubt he shoots 32% again. If he jumps to 36-37%, and does all of the other things asked of him (defend and rebound consistently, play with focus, energy, intensity and in general, be active), then he can help this team. This may sound like a lot of ifs, but it's not asking anything he's not capable of. No one's expecting him to shoot over 40% from three and play lock down defense, like Bowen did.

Waps1980
05-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Hopefully the off season will give RJ and Tony a chance to develop a game together that is really the main key factor. When Tony was out RJ played well everyone knows that.

Not sure if Tony will get back to the single man wrecking crew he once was, he shows signs but not consistently. Maybe its also time for Tony to add a new dimension to his game, one that includes all players on the floor and not just 2 of them.

RJ will pick up, the team will stay stable over the off season with the addition of Splitter (fingers crossed) things will be looking very bright in San Antonio, possibly find a bench player that can hit 3s.

Main rotation
Duncan, TP, Manu, RJ, Dice, Hill, Blair, Splitter

Temple
Hairston
New Rookie

mingus
05-29-2010, 07:10 PM
no matter what Jefferson does or improves on in the off-season, the Spurs need to bring in Splitter and draft a defensive-minded wing. Jefferson isn't going to gain any lateral quickness at this point in his career and he's not going to grow 3 inches. Rj being able to hit the three is the difference between beating the Suns and losing to them in a sweep. however, we don't get beat LA in a series without someone on the wing that can disrupt Kobe, and a big in Splitter that can match up with Tim against Gasol and Bynum. next year, the window is still open if the Spurs improve in all the three areas.

Johnny RIngo
05-29-2010, 08:15 PM
RJ's expiring is the only reason to look forward to having him on the team next year.

Solid D
05-29-2010, 08:35 PM
It's nice to just decide someone is going to be good "next season" but reality normally sets-in once the next season begins. Hope springs eternal, however, hope plus some level of reasoning doesn't always equate to positive results.

What can be done about RJ's temporary attention deficit during play. Sometimes, RJ plays D within the system quite well. He stays in front of his man, he closes out on shooters, he cross-matches decently in transition. Then there are times where Richard becomes little Richard, the T-Ball outfielder picking flowers instead of chasing the ball hit to him. What can you do with that aspect of RJ's game?

BronxCowboy
05-29-2010, 08:38 PM
What can be done about RJ's temporary attention deficit during play. Sometimes, RJ plays D within the system quite well. He stays in front of his man, he closes out on shooters, he cross-matches decently in transition. Then there are times where Richard becomes little Richard, the T-Ball outfielder picking flowers instead of chasing the ball hit to him. What can you do with that aspect of RJ's game?

If they had a decent backup for him, they could bench his ass when that happens and hope he snaps out of it. When your alternative is Keith Bogans, meh, I'll leave Jefferson out there and live with it.

Solid D
05-29-2010, 08:42 PM
If they had a decent backup for him, they could bench his ass when that happens and hope he snaps out of it. When your alternative is Keith Bogans, meh, I'll leave Jefferson out there and live with it.

Yes, the Bogans experiment should not be continued. There are really two swingmen that are needed there, since Finley and Mason did not provide results and became unsavory options.

NFGIII
05-30-2010, 02:18 AM
It's nice to just decide someone is going to be good "next season" but reality normally sets-in once the next season begins. Hope springs eternal, however, hope plus some level of reasoning doesn't always equate to positive results.

Dude that's cold but frankly quite appropriate. RJ at times makes you want more but also reminds you of the "hottie" you meet at clubs - smoking hot from afar but when up close and after several minutes of totally absent minded conversation leaves you a little apprehensive.

Agloco
05-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Contract year.

RJ's expiring is the only reason to look forward to having him on the team next year.

This.

RJ, Hill, Manu and the as-yet undrafted "defensive minded wing" are all going to have to hit their three's consistently next year in order for this team to have a chance.

Splitter will also need to be as good as advertised. We don't need Robinson 2.0, but we need something akin to a Kevin Willis type of contribution.

beachwood
05-31-2010, 12:59 PM
At best RJ will make marginal improvements due to his low bball IQ. The guy is just not a very smart player.

Big P
05-31-2010, 01:10 PM
No sense investing a lot of time in this guy....even if he does play out his contract year here, I can't see the Spurs resigning him.

angelbelow
05-31-2010, 01:26 PM
I also believe he'll get better next season. We'll just have to wait and see but I hope he works on his jump shot this offseason.

Muser
05-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Spurs won't extend RJ, after Duncan retires that's the last thing they need.

LOL@MavsFan
05-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Lol rj

tdunk21
05-31-2010, 06:36 PM
its final year of his contract....so am assuming he will play well to atleast get a decent contract

BackHome
05-31-2010, 07:00 PM
I imagine the Spurs are thinking of doing a couple of things with RJ.

1. If the right team comes with the right players or draft picks we could move him this summer.

2. They can keep him and hope he becomes a better player for one year. After that year they could sign him multi year which I doubt.

3. They can keep him and then 15 mill off the books next year.

My question to Spurs fans if they do trade him what players would you want in return? You could probably get two decent players and maybe a second round draft pick.......your thoughts?

Big P
05-31-2010, 07:28 PM
I agree I ment until he retires, I say they try to sign RJ for 3 years.

Why? All he would do is stunt the growth of the youth that we are going to need to be focusing on...extending him is dumb...extending him for 3 years so he can play with Duncan till he retires is idiotic.

superbigtime
06-01-2010, 05:00 PM
He'll be better thanks to our hall of fame coach. The 'you play like a dog' tactic worked pretty well. Hopefully the staff can use that repeatedly next season and the team and city reap the glory.

jason1301
06-02-2010, 03:33 AM
Good as gone?????

TE
06-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Disagreed, RJ needs to lose weight, needs to lock himself in a b-ball gym and shoot a million times, and he needs to get back to his athletic self (the one we saw in New JERSEY). He will probably not meet these requirements so he won't be better.

TheSpurglar
06-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah, RJ is not good at creating shots off the dribble. That's not his game. He's an adequate jumpshooter, and a slightly better slasher. Running him off of curls ala Ray Allen won't do much good. I wouldn't mind seeing the coaching staff incorporate that into Ginobili's and Hill's games, but I digress...

RJ excels in transition, but unfortunately the Spurs weren't good enough defensively to create enough transition opportunities for him. That likely won't change next year, unless Splitter is all-world, which is doubtful. What Pop needs to get RJ to do is shoot thousands of 3-pointers from the corner during the off-season and hammer into his brain the mentality to drive hard to the hoop if he's run off the line. If you add playing defense and rebounding like he did at the end of the year to those tweaks in his game, it'll be an improvement over last year. Here's hoping...