PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson sketch

carina_gino20
05-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey, it's me again. I just finished this sketch. It's very messy, rough, and I don't like the hair and the beard. That said, I still hope you guys will like it. I'm glad it's done because I've wanted to sketch D Rob for a long time now.

So, here goes. Comments, criticisms, suggestions are all welcome.:toast

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5627/drob.jpg

Bukefal
05-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Great! It's awesome :toast

duncan228
05-29-2010, 01:39 PM
As always, it's the eyes that strike me. And you caught his smile beautifully. Nice work Carina, thanks for sharing. I'm thrilled you're able to sketch Spurs again. :)

LoneStarState'sPride
05-29-2010, 03:49 PM
That's the man that made it all happen right there! Fantastic sketch, carina :D

ploto
05-29-2010, 05:12 PM
You draw eyes really well! Great job.

NewJerSpur
05-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Cool how you captured the cheek-bones and dimples in the smile. The talent is evident. :tu

duhoh
05-29-2010, 09:14 PM
:tu

seriously, this is amazing work. i'd want that as a shirt :D

bdictjames
05-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Made me smile. Great work. :]

Quiet Strength
05-29-2010, 10:53 PM
That is very nice! You did a great job!

Macca76
05-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Very nice work ! The smile, cheeks and eyes are awesome !

Parker2112
05-30-2010, 11:01 AM
You have great talent in getting the eyes, which is the essence of a portrait!

Take your time on the hair and take your time on the borders too. You will be producing professional quality stuff in no time.

Hair is a repetitive stroke that I never learned, but I have seen people practice it over and over to get it right. Work on getting the texture to pop with a repetitive pencil stroke. Sit down and do some hair practice sessions, I think it will make your great drawings even better.

Also, don't rush on things like the neck, or shadows around the face. They will really knock your portraits out of the park. You are nailing the face...use the same eye for detail in the rest of the drawing.

Awesome job!

carina_gino20
05-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the comments. You guys are awesome!

As always, it's the eyes that strike me. And you caught his smile beautifully. Nice work Carina, thanks for sharing. I'm thrilled you're able to sketch Spurs again. :)

I'm really thrilled as well. I'd been sketching others without doing any Spurs ones and it didn't feel right. :( But every time I tried (which wasn't often), I'd get really fussy about the picture and somehow convince myself to postpone it. Now I don't know how long this will last. Maybe not as productive as in 2008. But I'm glad that my last two sketches have been Spurs.

You draw eyes really well! Great job.

Thanks. Others will disagree with me, but I always feel that they are the most important part in my sketches.

Cool how you captured the cheek-bones and dimples in the smile. The talent is evident. :tu

Thanks! They were a pain to shade.:lol

carina_gino20
05-30-2010, 11:24 AM
You have great talent in getting the eyes, which is the essence of a portrait!

Take your time on the hair and take your time on the borders too. You will be producing professional quality stuff in no time.

Thanks for the CC. First things, I think most here know that I just do this for fun. I don't really have any formal training and usually just pick up techniques over the internet sometimes. This can sometimes lead me to being a non-perfectionist. Sometimes, I spend more than 3 hrs on a sketch and I get bored and I generally don't want to put it off for another day.

Hair is a repetitive stroke that I never learned, but I have seen people practice it over and over to get it right. Work on getting the texture to pop with a repetitive pencil stroke. Sit down and do some hair practice sessions, I think it will make your great drawings even better.

Also, don't rush on things like the neck, or shadows around the face. They will really knock your portraits out of the park. You are nailing the face...use the same eye for detail in the rest of the drawing.

I tend to do the hair and shadowing last, which I assume other people also do. So sometimes, I lose interest when I get to them. Also, I really hate doing them. I haven't perfected any sort of hair. Straight, waivy, curly, skinhead--I can't sketch them.

I really do need a lot of patience on this. And yep, not just attention but more like concern for getting the details right. Thanks again for the CC!:toast

Awesome job!

SpursNextRomanEmpire
05-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Very nice job, as everyone above me has said, the eyes are spot on.

TampaDude
05-30-2010, 03:21 PM
:tu

TIMMYD!
05-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Great job! :tu

greyforest
05-30-2010, 04:27 PM
face looks good, neck looks weird

eisfeld
05-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Awesome work Carina! The hair looks alright.
The proportions between neck and throat look a bit akward. Other than that :tu
Keep those good sketches coming! I envy you for that talent.

duncan228
05-30-2010, 08:28 PM
For anyone that may not be familiar with Carina's earlier work, a couple of my favorites.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/oddsandends/sketch104.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/oddsandends/sketch103.jpg

Spurologist
05-30-2010, 08:50 PM
:tu Magnifico....it seems like the ear might be tough to do