PDA

View Full Version : Reuters: White House admits pushing Sestak to drop Senate bid

spursncowboys
05-29-2010, 06:56 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64R43U20100528?type=politicsNews

(Reuters) - The White House acknowledged on Friday that it tried to get Representative Joe Sestak to drop his Senate bid in exchange for an unpaid job with the administration, but said an internal review concluded it broke no laws.

The position would have enabled Sestak to stay in the House of Representatives and avoid a divisive Senate Democratic primary race back home in Pennsylvania against a White House-backed candidate, Arlen Specter.

Speaking with reporters afterward, Sestak said he sensed no wrongdoing and didn't let Clinton talk about it long enough to hear details of the offer. "It was about either intelligence or defense," he said of the conversation, which he said lasted less than a minute.

Darrell Issa, the senior Republican on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, disagreed.

"The White House has admitted today to coordinating an arrangement that would represent an illegal quid-pro-quo as federal law prohibits directly or indirectly offering any position or appointment, paid or unpaid, in exchange for favors connected with an election," Issa said in a statement.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2010, 07:00 PM
And?

Let me know when he's impeached.

It's not like Reagan didn't do exactly the same thing. Where was the outrage then?

spursncowboys
05-29-2010, 07:07 PM
That blow off excuse cannot work with a candidate who said he was changing the way business is done in washington.

Hope and what?

ChumpDumper
05-29-2010, 07:08 PM
That blow off excuse cannot work with a candidate who said he was changing the way business is done in washington.

Hope and what?So what precisely do you want to happen?

Were you equally outraged at Reagan when he did this?

spursncowboys
05-29-2010, 07:10 PM
I was eight when bush sr was elected.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2010, 07:12 PM
So what precisely do you want to happen?

spursncowboys
05-29-2010, 07:15 PM
acknowledgement that they got back legal advice and that at the least what they did was unethical and at the worst illegal and full access for an investigation. If I were an obama guy I would want houlder to be fired.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2010, 07:18 PM
acknowledgement that they got back legal advice and that at the least what they did was unethical and at the worst illegal and full access for an investigation.But former Bush DoJ attorneys say there was nothing illegal done at all. You can label it unethical if you choose, but that does not necessarily make it so.

If I were an obama guy I would want houlder to be fired.This would probably be the job of the White House counsel, not the AG.

jack sommerset
05-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Impeach Barry. Lets give old Joe a shot for the next 2 years.

ChumpDumper
05-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Impeach Barry. Lets give old Joe a shot for the next 2 years.Would never get an impeachment, much less a trial.

jack sommerset
05-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Would never get an impeachment, much less a trial.

You're right.

boutons_deux
05-29-2010, 08:31 PM
You're disapppointed

PublicOption
05-30-2010, 05:53 PM
who gives a rats ass.

jack sommerset
05-30-2010, 06:34 PM
I do. The white house tried to fix an election.

jack sommerset
05-30-2010, 06:35 PM
No surprise anymore, Obama lied about back room deals.

MiamiHeat
05-30-2010, 06:38 PM
lol @ all the fucking moronic sheep who got emotional during the 2008 elections supporting this fraud obama.

sad fact of planet earth, is that we have to live with idiots among us.

it's amazing to say, but Obama being black won 100% of the black vote and a lot of pity/emotional votes from whites who thought they were "changing the world"

LOL!

If obama was white, he would have never gotten out of the primaries. 0 executive experience, 0 qualifications for presidency.

fraga
05-31-2010, 12:19 PM
What is the point pointing out something that politicians have been doing for decades...I'm not sure what statement you're trying to make...

boutons_deux
05-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Nothing but Fox News/Repug/conservative/hate-machine/stink-tank/chain-letter fabricated, hypocritical outrage over political-business-as-usual.