PDA

View Full Version : World Cup's Jabulani is a "rotten" ball, says Casillas ‎

lefty
05-31-2010, 08:27 AM
:depressed
‎http://www.hindustantimes.com/Players-slam-WC-ball/H1-Article1-551140.aspx

Muser
05-31-2010, 08:52 AM
Nothing new here, it wouldn't be a FIFA tournament without a shitty ball.

lefty
05-31-2010, 08:58 AM
:lol

To be fair, the ball was great in the 80s and early 90's

sonic21
05-31-2010, 09:01 AM
They complain about this every WC

Muser
05-31-2010, 09:06 AM

To be fair, the ball was great in the 80s and early 90's

Yeah, then they developed all this technology to make it better, it's a fucking ball!

lefty
05-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Yeah, then they developed all this technology to make it better, it's a fucking ball!
I know

As technologies offer more possibilities, human beings get dumber in the process

SAtown
05-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Seems like Casillas always has something to bitch about.

lefty
05-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Adidas: Ball feedback had been positive

Email (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5235679/ce/us/adidas-surprised-timing-complaints-ball&cc=5901?ver=us#) Print (http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=5235679&type=story) Share (javascript:void(0);)
Associated Press

LONDON -- Adidas hit back Monday at criticism that the World Cup ball is difficult to control and a nightmare for goalkeepers, stressing that it was widely tested and approved long ago.
Company spokesman Thomas van Schaik said he was surprised to hear the critical comments, made by top goalkeepers such as Spain's Iker Casillas and Brazil's Julio Cesar, because the "Jabulani" balls had been used for months without any complaints.
"We started using it in December in a wide variety of leagues," he told The Associated Press. "All the response we have had has been positive.
"On top of that, we have distributed it to all the finalists so that they have been able to get used to the ball. Apparently they have not taken advantage of that if we are only hearing this criticism now. I am quite surprised in these circumstances."
Brazil has been in South Africa since Thursday and Cesar described the World Cup balls as "terrible," comparing them with cheap ones bought in a supermarket. Casillas said the balls were "in an appalling condition."
Field players have been critical, too. Brazil striker Luis Fabiano described the ball as "weird" and suddenly changing trajectory and Italy's Giampaolo Pazzini said it was "a disaster."
"It moves so much and makes it difficult to control," the Italian striker said. "You jump up to head a cross and suddenly the ball will move and you miss it."
In contrast, several German players have said they were happy with the new ball, although some of them or their clubs have Adidas sponsorship.
Mario Gomez, who scored with the ball for Bayern Munich, said he found it "a little harder."
"It hurts a little, but if you hit it right, it flies," he said.
Asked why the ball behaved differently at altitude, where many of the games will be played in South Africa, Van Schaik said that applied to all balls.
"It does what every ball does [at altitude] and that really doesn't have anything to do with it," he said. "The different air pressure at altitude does make the ball move faster. We did have extensive testing with regard to altitude."
Van Schaik also said he thinks the criticism will taper off once the games start.
"If you look back in history there have always been criticisms about the ball before the World Cup but not so much afterwards after you've seen great goals or great saves," he said.
"The ball is much more accurate, making the best players in the world even better. If they kick the ball they want it to go where they are aiming for and even the goalkeepers get a better idea of where the ball is going."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Libri
05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
In contrast, several German players have said they were happy with the new ball, although some of them or their clubs have Adidas sponsorship.

Whisky Dog
05-31-2010, 11:22 AM
I do not like it that this is Casillas' mindset going into the tourney. Makes me nervous that he's already giving himself an excuse for letting soft goals slip in. Shut up and be ready to shut down the net Casillas!

DAF86
05-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Seems like Casillas always has something to bitch about.

Every goal-keeper in the world has bitched about this ball. Julio Cesar said it was a super-market ball.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Its not hard to see through all the bullshit when you have a new ball for every fucking tournament. This isn't about having the best ball, its about marketing. A new ball means something else rabid football fans can sink their teeth and hard earned money into. Its never been about having the best performance in a football.

ffadicted
05-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Yeah, a bunch of the players from the brasil team were bitching about it too, most noticibly julio like Daf pointed out. I'm not too worried though, this really does happen every goddamn tournament lol

TDMVPDPOY
06-01-2010, 03:06 AM
every year they do something to the ball anyway...

mabrignani
06-01-2010, 12:43 PM
lmao Iker, already making excuses as to why italy is gonna win this year

velik_m
06-01-2010, 01:57 PM
lmao Iker, already making excuses as to why italy is gonna win this year

Yeah, what a bunch of sorry whiners...

The Italians' criticism of the Jabulani ball is relentless. Here's keeper Gianluigi Buffon: "I noticed the first day that this ball wasn't right. The World Cup brings together the best players in the world and to those players you must provide something decent. The new ball is not decent." That after striker Giampaolo Pazzini described it as a "disaster" for strikers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8715254.stm

MannyIsGod
06-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Wtf - everyone plays with the same fucking ball. This is such stupid bitching. Disaster for strikers, Disaster for Goalies, so I guess it evens out.

Whisky Dog
06-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm glad to see it's not just Iker bitching, but these types of things are what I hate about futbol. On average, futbol players are the biggest whiny pussies in major pro sports. Seriously, can you imagine Peyton Manning bitching about the choice of football for a game? Or any NHL player whining about the type of puck? It's ridiculous.

DAF86
06-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Wtf - everyone plays with the same fucking ball. This is such stupid bitching. Disaster for strikers, Disaster for Goalies, so I guess it evens out.

But it'll fuck up the quality of the play.

DAF86
06-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm glad to see it's not just Iker bitching, but these types of things are what I hate about futbol. On average, futbol players are the biggest whiny pussies in major pro sports. Seriously, can you imagine Peyton Manning bitching about the choice of football for a game? Or any NHL player whining about the type of puck? It's ridiculous.

If they change it for every single tournament (and to make it worse), I do think they would bitch, just look at what happened when Stern changed the ball in the NBA.

resistanze
06-01-2010, 02:27 PM
But it'll fuck up the quality of the play.

Bah, it shouldn't do much. Some of these motherfuckers grew up playing with a torn up ball in a dirt field. They'll be fine.

Whisky Dog
06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
If they change it for every single tournament (and to make it worse), I do think they would bitch, just look at what happened when Stern changed the ball in the NBA.

True, but that was a one time change from a ball that had been an NBA staple for decades. If they were changing the ball every season or two people wouldn't bitch much. For some reason in international futbol they still bitch like crazy when they should be used to it by now.

nkdlunch
06-01-2010, 04:02 PM
why do they have to change it every single WC??

Whisky Dog
06-01-2010, 04:21 PM
why do they have to change it every single WC??

They don't have to, but they do it to fill their pockets just a little more. Greed.

MannyIsGod
06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
They bitched about the last 2 balls like crazy and the quality of play was fine there.

DAF86
06-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Fuck you FIFA, they shat all over this WC with this fucking ball. These old mother fuckers have to be the most retarded leaders in the world of Sports. They're the only ones that make changes to make the spectacle worst. When is Blatter leaving the fuck out?

ElNono
06-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Something that was pointed out yesterday and so far has held true is that nobody has been able so far to make the ball dip down after taking a free-throw over the wall. I think it speaks volumes of how light the ball is.

Spurologist
06-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Fuck you FIFA, they shat all over this WC with this fucking ball. These old mother fuckers have to be the most retarded leaders in the world of Sports. They're the only ones that make changes to make the spectacle worst. When is Blatter leaving the fuck out?

dude....it's a fucking ball. I couldn't stop laughing when Evra blammed the ball for the loss. How about taking some fucking responsibility?

DAF86
06-13-2010, 09:08 AM
dude....it's a fucking ball. I couldn't stop laughing when Evra blammed the ball for the loss. How about taking some fucking responsibility?

Have you ever played football or any other sport? It fucks up your game, specially for proffesional players that have all their moves automated. Have you seen all the free kicks going no where near the goal, how the ball bounces like a basketball, how hard is to contol it, how nobody can make a long pass 'cause it never goes where they aim it?

Spurologist
06-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Have you ever played football or any other sport? It fucks up your game, specially for proffesional players that have all their moves automated. Have you seen all the free kicks going no where near the goal, how the ball bounces like a basketball, how hard is to contol it, how nobody can make a long pass 'cause it never goes where they aim it?

I played tennis/football (soccer)/basketball in high school...then focused on soccer in college. I've played with all kinds of fucked up sport balls. In Cameroon, I played with a ball made with rubber bands. This ball was used in the African Nations Cup and I think the Bundesliga too. Players have to adjust. Simple as that. Everybody has to play with it

DAF86
06-13-2010, 09:29 AM
I played tennis/football (soccer)/basketball in high school...then focused on soccer in college. I've played with all kinds of fucked up sport balls. In Cameroon, I played with a ball made with rubber bands. This ball was used in the African Nations Cup and I think the Bundesliga too. Players have to adjust. Simple as that. Everybody has to play with it

Yes, that's why everybody is sucking.

Spurologist
06-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Yes, that's why everybody is sucking.

It's mental that's why Evra complained about it and blamed it for their tie. The people that are sucking at it are those that are letting it affect them mentally. Messi had no problem with the ball. Watch Spain put up a 4 spot

DAF86
06-13-2010, 10:09 AM
It's mental that's why Evra complained about it and blamed it for their tie. The people that are sucking at it are those that are letting it affect them mentally. Messi had no problem with the ball. Watch Spain put up a 4 spot

What do you mean mentally? Do they use mental powers to make the ball bounce higher and move like a fucking boomerang in the air? Maybe it's just me, but it's pretty obvious that this ball doesn't do the things that a normal football does.

Spurologist
06-13-2010, 10:16 AM
What do you mean mentally? Do they use mental powers to make the ball bounce higher and move like a fucking boomerang in the air? Maybe it's just me, but it's pretty obvious that this ball doesn't do the things that a normal football does.

I mean that they are thinking about the ball instead of just playing. They're no such thing as a "normal" football. There are different balls in different leagues. There's been a different ball at almost every world cup. People bitch but play and people still score.

DAF86
06-13-2010, 10:18 AM
I mean that they are thinking about the ball instead of just playing. They're no such thing as a "normal" football. There are different balls in different leagues. There's been a different ball at almost every world cup. People bitch but play and people still score.

But not as well and as often as they usually do.

DAF86
06-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Seriously the only way to defend this ball is to work for Adidas and/or FIFA.

Spurologist
06-13-2010, 10:27 AM

I think you mean they're bitching more about it now. That's probably fair but I don't think people will be talking about it after the world cup just like after every other world cup

I don't work for FIFA/Addidas BTW.

DAF86
06-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I think you mean they're bitching more about it now. That's probably fair but I don't think people will be talking about it after the world cup just like after every other world cup

I don't work for FIFA/Addidas BTW.

No, I meant they aren't playing as well and scoring as often as they usually do, even for WC standards.

Spurologist
06-13-2010, 10:39 AM
No, I meant they aren't playing as well and scoring as often as they usually do, even for WC standards.

8 goals in 6 matches doesn't look good but it'll pick up.....I hope. :lol

Slo spurs fan
06-13-2010, 11:04 AM
LOL I remember a lot of players and posters here bitched about weird/plastic basketball ball a couple of years ago. And now soccer players must shut the fuck up and accept it. That ball was the same for all bb players too, they bitched too.

ElNono
06-13-2010, 11:18 AM
LOL I remember a lot of players and posters here bitched about weird/plastic basketball ball a couple of years ago. And now soccer players must shut the fuck up and accept it. That ball was the same for all bb players too, they bitched too.

Except that the NBA backtracked after the player's complaints and went back to the leather balls...

Spurologist
06-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Except that the NBA backtracked after the player's complaints and went back to the leather balls...

no way that happens mid World Cup.....With the NBA I think there was a complaint that it was causing harm.....if this world cup continues its current pace for lowest WC goals ever then....yeah

ElNono
06-13-2010, 11:43 AM
no way that happens mid World Cup.....With the NBA I think there was a complaint that it was causing harm.....if this world cup continues its current pace for lowest WC goals ever then....yeah

They're not going to change it. But it should really serve as a learning experience. Next time, test it out in some other competitions first (ie: Confederations Cup, Copa America, etc).

Spurologist
06-13-2010, 11:51 AM
They're not going to change it. But it should really serve as a learning experience. Next time, test it out in some other competitions first (ie: Confederations Cup, Copa America, etc).

It was used in the African Nations Cup, Argentina Classura tournament, Bundesliga for team with Addidas outfits, the current 2010 MLS season, and was the match ball of the 2009 FIFA club World Cup which Barcelona won 2-1 against Estudiantes

resistanze
06-13-2010, 11:59 AM
I heard the field is too moist as well. Don't forget the horns. And the humidity. And the mosquitoes.

How are these professionals expected to play???

chungoman
06-13-2010, 12:03 PM
If it were just marketing, a little change in the visual design of the ball would do for people to go buy it. And also, it's not like you will throw away your 2006 World Cup Ball and go buy the new one just because it's out. These adidas balls last no longer than a year before completely falling apart.

ElNono
06-13-2010, 12:06 PM
It was used in the African Nations Cup, Argentina Classura tournament, Bundesliga for team with Addidas outfits, the current 2010 MLS season, and was the match ball of the 2009 FIFA club World Cup which Barcelona won 2-1 against Estudiantes

Everywhere except Europe, where most of the World Cup players play. That makes sense... :td

ElNono
06-13-2010, 12:07 PM
I heard the field is too moist as well. Don't forget the horns. And the humidity. And the mosquitoes.

And the altitude...

Whisky Dog
06-13-2010, 12:48 PM

I think a big part of that is due to the best teams not having played yet with the exception of Argie. England too but I've felt all along they're vastly overrated. In the Argie game Messi had tons of chances but didn't convert. Some of that could be the ball and a lot I think isvthe altitude, but you have to adapt and overcome. This ball won't dip over the wall on set plays? Ok, play short around the wall and put a ball in the zone. There are many ways to adjust and the best teams and players will do that. I look for a lot mote goals with Spain and Brazil still to play and on the second go around once everyone has had a game to adjust.

ElNono
06-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I think a big part of that is due to the best teams not having played yet with the exception of Argie. England too but I've felt all along they're vastly overrated. In the Argie game Messi had tons of chances but didn't convert. Some of that could be the ball and a lot I think isvthe altitude, but you have to adapt and overcome. This ball won't dip over the wall on set plays? Ok, play short around the wall and put a ball in the zone. There are many ways to adjust and the best teams and players will do that. I look for a lot mote goals with Spain and Brazil still to play and on the second go around once everyone has had a game to adjust.

The reason Messi missed chances was the goalie. There's no two ways to look at it. I agree we should revisit this once all teams have played at least a game, or even wait after the group stage.

Spurologist
06-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Germans love that Jubulani

ElNono
06-13-2010, 02:58 PM

lol just mentioned that on the game thread :lol

TampaDude
06-13-2010, 06:31 PM

WERD...they didn't seem to have any trouble with it... :lol

jack sommerset
06-13-2010, 06:41 PM
“Everyone saw what happened with the ball, and what happened yesterday with England’s goalkeeper,” Saadane said. “You have to adjust to the flight of the ball.”

I didn't see that at all. Saadane is blaming the Slovenia goal for the same reasons.

TampaDude
06-13-2010, 06:45 PM
“Everyone saw what happened with the ball, and what happened yesterday with England’s goalkeeper,” Saadane said. “You have to adjust to the flight of the ball.”

Right...the fact that England's goalkeepers suck had nothing to do with it... :lol

Spurologist
06-13-2010, 06:57 PM

I didn't see that at all. Saadane is blaming the Slovenia goal for the same reasons.

Saadane is dumb. That save is all about technique. Green should have had his ass in front of the ball so it always stays in front of him and can't wiggle out

jack sommerset
06-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Trying to scoop a ball up when your hands should be up is pretty dumb, imho.

MannyIsGod
06-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Saadane is dumb. That save is all about technique. Green should have had his ass in front of the ball so it always stays in front of him and can't wiggle out

No shit, anyone who blames that goal on the ball is a complete fucking retard. If Green isn't a lazy fuck playing it half assed and gets his body behind it then the ball comes off his hands into his legs or chest and England wins.

Gervin44Silas13
06-14-2010, 12:43 PM
They complain about this every WC

I agree the ball is always an issue....fact is...
soccer is soccer...and

"**** Happends!"

lefty
06-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Saadane is an idiot

Everytime we lose, he blames the heat, the altitude, the ball........ :lol

The Gemini Method
06-14-2010, 01:01 PM

Damn elephants...

I'm not an expert at futbol, but from the early part of the World Cup I've noticed that there is less foul calling within the range of the box. I could be wrong but it seems a little more physical in this world cup...

Bukefal
06-14-2010, 01:44 PM
eeehh the ball is fine, they just need to find something to bitch on and lose their tension/nervousness on something. They do that with every WC, it's just become a part of it. It became tradition :lol

sefant77
06-15-2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1286613/Germany-men-used-controversial-Jabulani-ball-SIX-months-World-Cup.html

British newspaper, always funny. Trying to let it look like we cheated with that headline :lol

Not a german problem when the PL sold their asses to nike for a few extra bucks.

Nike remain the official ball suppliers to the Barclays Premier League, but Bundesliga clubs were at liberty to use any ball of their choice last season, thus enabling them to take immediate delivery of the Jabulani when it was launched.

TimDunkem
06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
No shit, anyone who blames that goal on the ball is a complete fucking retard. If Green isn't a lazy fuck playing it half assed and gets his body behind it then the ball comes off his hands into his legs or chest and England wins.
The idiot even crawled for it after it left his hands. What a dumbass. :lol

usdane
06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
That ball is to lively. The passing game has been horrible in almost all games so far. Players don't have a fell with the ball as it moves as if it was a volleyball. I think it is one reason for the few goals so far.

sefant77
06-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Ah not only that Englands PL sold their asses to Nike, the FA sold theirs to Umbro and had to use their balls until right before the cup.

Solid selfown for $$$

Ah and nice selfown for Carragher

lefty
06-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Casillas :lmao

SAtown
06-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Ball don't lie bitch!!!

DAF86
06-18-2010, 07:37 AM

WERD...they didn't seem to have any trouble with it... :lol

Well, there's a reason for that.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world-cup-2010/world-cup-news/germany-had-unfair-advantage-over-socceroos-says-england-defender-20100615-yawc.html

sefant77
06-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, there's a reason for that.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world-cup-2010/world-cup-news/germany-had-unfair-advantage-over-socceroos-says-england-defender-20100615-yawc.html

Not the germanys fault:

Nike remain the official ball suppliers to the Barclays Premier League, but Bundesliga clubs were at liberty to use any ball of their choice last season, thus enabling them to take immediate delivery of the Jabulani when it was launched.

Mel_13
06-26-2010, 07:37 AM
FIFA has finally acknowledged that there may be something wrong with the Jabulani World Cup ball -- although it won't act on the problem until after the tournament.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5330663/ce/us/fifa-acknowledges-very-different-ball-perhaps?cc=5901&ver=us