PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Stoudemire expects to join free agent summit

Mel_13
05-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Another big name wants in on the upcoming NBA free-agent superstar summit.

Amare Stoudemire, who is likely to opt out of the final year of his current contract, told AOL Fanhouse that he expects to join in talks with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Joe Johnson before free agency begins on July 1.

"I'm friends with LeBron, Dwyane, Chris [Bosh] -- all those guys are friends of mine," Stoudemire told AOL Fanhouse. "So I'm pretty sure they'll call me and we'll talk about a few things."

Wade told the Chicago Tribune last week that he planned to talk with James and Johnson before making a decision on where he would sign this summer. A source told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard that Bosh also would be part of those talks.

Wade said last week that he did not know yet when the players would talk. Wade's agent, Henry Thomas, said last week that no formal sit-down sessions among the headliners of this summer's class have been scheduled.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5235598

JamStone
05-31-2010, 09:49 AM
Amare, you're not invited.

You'd just be lucky if they let you tag along.

scanry
05-31-2010, 10:01 AM
The last time players decided to talk about a few things was in Orlando 2000, and that didn't turn out too well.

BTW Amare is a 10-11$ mil max player, anything beyond that is ludicrous.

Kamnik
05-31-2010, 10:17 AM
The last time players decided to talk about a few things was in Orlando 2000, and that didn't turn out too well.

BTW Amare is a 10-11$ mil max player, anything beyond that is ludicrous.

A PF that gets less rebound per minute than many point guards isn't maybe worth even that. (playoffs)

But this is the NBA and some team will throw a 75mil / 5 years contract before you can say "idiot GM".

SEE: Rashard Lewis
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/orlando.htm

Mel_13
05-31-2010, 10:22 AM
A PF that gets less rebound per minute than many point guards isn't maybe worth even that. (playoffs)

But this is the NBA and some team will throw a 75mil / 5 years contract before you can say "idiot GM".

Exactly.

Amare will be a very expensive consolation prize for a team that misses out on the premier FAs. In the long run, Phoenix will be very lucky if he walks away.

Kamnik
05-31-2010, 10:26 AM
In the long run, Phoenix will be very lucky if he walks away.

Exactly.

If they loose Amare, Kerr might consider trading Nash and starting to rebuild. Something they should already start a year ago if you ask me.

I think we all loved to see Suns playoff run this year (except for the part when they swept the Spurs :depressed ) but realistically they overachieved and didn't have a realistic chance for the title.

JMarkJohns
05-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Exactly.

Amare will be a very expensive consolation prize for a team that misses out on the premier FAs. In the long run, Phoenix will be very lucky if he walks away.

I'd still like for them to seek something via sign-n-trade. I'd like to get some young prospects/picks. Doesn't need to be equal value, so long as the acquired pieces leave enough room for a Dirk offer. I have no idea how realistic it is, but he Nets and Suns could do a double sign-n-trade, where Nets sign Dirk for Phoenix, then swap him to Phoenix for Amare along with Lee/Future 1sts.

Kobayagi
05-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Amare, you're not invited.

And Joe Johnson is?

Mel_13
05-31-2010, 10:50 AM
I'd still like for them to seek something via sign-n-trade. I'd like to get some young prospects/picks. Doesn't need to be equal value, so long as the acquired pieces leave enough room for a Dirk offer. I have no idea how realistic it is, but he Nets and Suns could do a double sign-n-trade, where Nets sign Dirk for Phoenix, then swap him to Phoenix for Amare along with Lee/Future 1sts.

I agree. If they can get some prospects/picks back in a sign and trade that would be great. If the choice is keep him for 6yrs/100M+ or let him walk for nothing, then I believe they should let him walk.

As to your Dirk scenario. Setting aside the issue of whether it would happen, it seems that the issue of whether it is allowed under the CBA remains one of the remaining gray areas that has not yet been tested.

According to CBA guru Larry Coon:

For sign-and-trade transactions, the initial trade which completes the transaction is obviously allowed, even though it occurs right after the player is signed. What's not clear is whether the player's new team can subsequently trade him prior to three months or December 15. While a literal reading of the CBA might suggest that such players cannot be subsequently traded, the league actually considers this situation to be undefined, and won't resolve the matter until a team actually tries to make such a trade.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q82

Lukor
05-31-2010, 11:01 AM

Holy crap Rashard Lewis earns more money than Dwight Howard.LOL!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Fuck trying to get Dirk if Amare leaves, just go bitch made, accept failure and rebuild:

If they know for sure he's leaving, then trade J-Rich's expiring contract to the 76ers for Elton Brand's contract and the #2 pick (Philly is reportedly willing to trade the #2 pick to a team that takes Brand). Draft Evan Turner with that pick, now Phoenix finally has the off the dribble SG they haven't had since Joe Johnson.

Draft Alexey Shved with the 46th pick and keep him overseas for the time being

Give Leandro Barbosa a post birth abortion

Try to work out a sign and trade with whatever team Amare's going to. Just for hypothetical sake, lets say he goes to Miami, Phoenix could easily get Beasley since Miami seems fed up with him.

Trade Nash to a team he wants to be traded to for young players and draft picks. I have no idea what a hypothetical scenario might be here.

Dragic - whatever
Turner - whatever
Beasley - Dudley
Clark - Brand
Lopez - Brand

STACKED

EDIT: Fuck Beasley now that I think about it, Dragic and Turner would be great perimeter defense and Beasley would ruin that. move Clark down to small forward, and find some retarded way to trade for fat Al Jefferson

Dragic
Turner
Clark
Lopez
Jefferson

STACKED

21_Blessings
05-31-2010, 11:13 AM
just go bitch made,

Worked for the Spurs.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Worked for the Spurs.

:lol

I'm hoping for Harrison Barnes in 2011 if Amare leaves.

scampers
05-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Goddamnit Joe.

Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva? Really?

Booharv
05-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Worked for the Spurs.

It was our only option. Chris Wallace wasn't a GM yet in 1998.

lefty
05-31-2010, 12:20 PM
lol 4 rebounds

TampaDude
05-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Gotta be the greatest FA class in NBA history. This summer is gonna be interesting.

redzero
05-31-2010, 02:33 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CqDk4jAv_Y4/TAHzzeLJTPI/AAAAAAAADys/-ra4-VfW6So/s1600/04.jpg

Killakobe81
06-01-2010, 10:44 AM
This is funny

There is Lebron (class by himself)

Then ...
Wade & Dirk

Then Bosh, Amare Joe Johnson

Then everyone else ....

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-01-2010, 11:29 AM
lol 4 rebounds

lol dumb Canadian

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Phoenix should build around Stoudemire+Lopez+Dragic.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
I agree, plus Dudley as a bench player (I see him as a less athletic James Posey) and Clark depending on how he plans out. IMO though, if they're ever going to be a contender, they need an all star caliber player at SF.

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Keep Amundson as well and play him plenty of minutes. With more experience+progress on some fundamentals he can be a quality big man. Keep Earl Clark as well.

Trade Nash and all the quality role-players that keep adding wins, like Hill, Richardson and Dudley.

Surround the core with young inexperienced players with high potential. Try to build a defensive-minded culture.

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Yeah, Dudley is a very good role-player and won't regress, but for the right offer (a young player with higher potential) I'd trade him. You can always acquire a player like Dudley later on.

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
To add the lockerroom statesmen that keep the young guys together, that guide them, pick up guys like Ratliff, Adonal Foyle or Anthony Johnson who can't play any more.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-01-2010, 11:46 AM
My problem with Amundson is him getting a long term contract. Amundson is so stupid and so unfundamental that he's got too many weaknesses. Bottom line though, Nash isn't getting traded, and they aren't gonna get rid of Hill. Those two sell too many tickets to the rich white folks. The Suns plan is to rebuild while staying competitive, it still remains a question if they can do that completely. I see some minor tweaks this off season gearing the team more towards defense and less towards offense. Hopefully Frye and Barbosa get replaced with a backup C who can defend the low post and a backup SG who's long, athletic and can defend. Of all realistic possibilities, my ideal team next season is this:

Lopez/Thomas
Amare/Clark
Hill/Dudley
JRich/Carney
Nash/Dragic

I don't disagree with your completely rebuild idea at all, it's just not something Sarver or Kerr are doing anytime soon unless Amare leaves.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Also this is just from tape I've seen, but with the 46th pick I want them drafting Alexey Shved, dude looks like he has NBA potential.

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I agree that's what they're going to do. But they'll be only delaying the inevitable. To contend that team needs more marquee talent that they'll have a hard time getting without good draft picks/finding playing time to young players.

Shved is a good gamble with a late 2nd rounder. He's talented (and has the kind of talent and game style that translates well to the NBA), but basically he hasn't get any playing time in the pro-game till a few months ago. Spent too much time sitting on a bench.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-01-2010, 11:53 AM
The one way they possibly get marquee talent is because if they do something like sign Thomas and Carney to short term 1-2 year deals while trading Barbosa and letting Frye + Amundson leave, they'll have cap room in 2011 and/or 2012. My pipe dream is them signing Melo in 2011 but that has a snow ball's chance in hell of happening.

MiamiHeat
06-01-2010, 02:02 PM
you can't build around Amare and win anything

you have to be able to play D.....and interior D and especially rebounding is CRUCIAL to winning a title....

Amare is another one of "those" players

guys who are talented, but lack an all-around game, the will to improve, and the competitive spirit to really achieve greatness.

Amare will continue to coast through his youth, collecting big paychecks, until one day when he's 32, he realizes he's going to retire ringless

and then, he will finally accept the role he should have had all along - take a smaller contract and be a contributing role player.

JMarkJohns
06-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Melo to Washington is 2011 if he goes anywhere. He's from Baltimore and I've heard him discuss "returning home" in the past.

Giuseppe
06-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Gambo & Ash are going to interview Steve Kerr about Amare at 2:25PM PDT on KTAR in Phoenix. Here's the link to the live feed:

http://den-a.plr.liquidcompass.net/player/flash/audio_player.php?id=KTARAM&uid=239

Right now, they're busy eating crow and kissing Bryant rump-a-rooney.

Oh, it's just the livin' end.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Melo to Washington is 2011 if he goes anywhere. He's from Baltimore and I've heard him discuss "returning home" in the past.

Damn washington is in good shape if they can shed Gil's contract somehow. Durant is also from the DC area, so they could get either Durant or Melo to pair with Wall and Blatche.