PDA

View Full Version : My mea culpa to DOK/What is the dumbest thing you've ever said on the forum?

Findog
05-31-2010, 01:22 PM
I've been giving DuncanownsKobe too much grief about his Steve Nash opinions and some of his other takes when my own house isn't in order. I said that Carl Landry deserved to go to the All Star Game this year over Amare Stoudemire and I expressed WAY too much optimism about the Mavs ability to make a deep playoff run when they are a chronic first-round exit. I've alternately dumped on the Kidd trade and defended it. So I wanted to apologize to DOK for giving him too much shit and calling him an "idiot" for his Bill Russell opinions in the Amare/Dwight Howard thread when my own takes are nothing special. I'm proud of some of my takes and predictions that have panned out, but I don't have the right to call out a solid poster like DOK when I'm not batting .1000.

What are some of your predictions/opinions that turned out wrong that you are willing to fess up to?

Muser
05-31-2010, 01:24 PM
I said the Spurs would sweep Phoenix...:lmao

BadOdor
05-31-2010, 01:24 PM
I was in the whole "kobe is done" wave:(

TheMACHINE
05-31-2010, 01:25 PM
my username

JoeTait75
05-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Picking the Cavaliers over the Celtics in five was pretty dumb in retrospect.

Ghazi
05-31-2010, 01:39 PM
I said Cleveland would win it all last year and had them winning before the playoffs started this year :lol

TBH its not that dumb for a 60+ win team to win it all though, just an incorrect prediction.

milkshakeballa
05-31-2010, 01:49 PM
I said Kobe was finished and would probably never win another title after the last 2 weeks of the season and 4 games in the OKC series....

Will never doubt the man again....

JamStone
05-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Last year I wasn't buying the Kevin Durant hype and compared his game's to Rashard Lewis...

resistanze
05-31-2010, 01:51 PM
I said Paul Pierce might surpass James Worthy one day.

TE
05-31-2010, 01:54 PM
I probably said the most pathetic thing ever. Lately this fella by the name of Br, or the son-caller, has been playing with the notion that Diana Taurasi and the word beautiful/hot/pretty/bangable/the such belong in the same sentence. The other day I was drunk and did not get to bang my GF, so I wrongly said 'pussy is pussy' when someone was bashing Br for such a crazy thought. Damn I can't believe I said that, it almost implied that I would bang Diana Taurasi. :vomit:

Ghazi
05-31-2010, 02:01 PM
I said Kobe was finished and would probably never win another title after the last 2 weeks of the season and 4 games in the OKC series....

Will never doubt the man again....

Not an outrageous opinion, tbh :smokin

dallasmavsnfuego214
05-31-2010, 02:03 PM
I once thought 21 Blessings wasn't a complete faggott

Boy was I wrong

lil_penny
05-31-2010, 02:34 PM
I thought cleveland was going to make it to the ecf against orlando where orlando would knock them off to play against the lakers... but out of no where boston comes and fucks my shit up lol

Muser
05-31-2010, 02:37 PM
And I thought Miami could beat Boston, been eating a lot of crow since then.

Bob Lanier
05-31-2010, 02:43 PM
:wtf He already has, years ago.

And I'm sure that a certain someone will be along to say that this is the stupidest thing of all the stupid things I've ever stupidly said, so I'm glad I put it forth in the correct thread.

Dex
05-31-2010, 02:56 PM
I thought that Nick Van Exel wasn't going to a be a complete waste of space.

LnGrrrR
05-31-2010, 02:56 PM

Eh, I picked the Cavs over the Celts in 6. :lol Called the Magic series right though.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-31-2010, 03:09 PM
I defended Amare after the Suns lost and he had no right to be defended, maybe Frye should have boxed out more but Amare didn't have to just stand and watch, he could have at least attempted to fight Odom for the rebounds. At this point, I want him to stay so the Suns don't fall apart and because I still try to believe he might mature one day, but I won't be pissed at Kerr or Sarver if he leaves. We all know about that guy who plays PG for the Suns that I was wrong about.

Other things I've been wrong about:
Stephen Curry is a rich man's Eddie House
Robin Lopez would be a bust
I said the Suns wouldn't make the playoffs when they were 26-21 (but to my defense a lot of people said that)
Jamison being a good fit for Cleveland
VC being a good fit for Orlando

Things I was right about:
Goran Dragic is good and has tons of potential
The Suns were decent enough to win 2 games against LA
the J-Rich trade would turn out to be great for Phoenix
Mike D'antoni was behind every blunder the Suns have made in recent years other than the hiring of Terry Porter

Muser
05-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Damn i'm making a lot of contributions :lol

I was wrong about Jefferson, but then so would every Spur fan on this site.

DPG21920
05-31-2010, 03:22 PM
TBH, Findog, those things you said aren't really that dumb. Being wrong about something that is logical is not being dumb imho.

Mavs_man_41
05-31-2010, 03:31 PM
i was wrong about:

cleveland winning it all
kobe being done
boston being noncontenders (although this was earlier in the year)
dallas making the WCF (lol carlisle)

i was right about:

beaubois having tons of potential (said so since summer league)
carlisle being an idiot
jjb playing rotation minutes all year and into the playoffs
Lebron to Big D :danceclub

JMarkJohns
05-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Without a doubt...
In 2005 (I think pre Spurs Title) I argued for Amare for a decade over Duncan for next five years. In my defense, I didn't pose the question and was merely weighing potential of a young stud with tremendous physical ability (pre microfracture) vs. the waning years of an All-Time great and made a comparison of Hakeem and Kareem as an example. Well... two Duncan Titles in the next five years and I look completely foolish for ever even venturing.

Runner up...
Once said Marcus Williams of Arizona would be a 15/17 ppg scorer in the NBA. To be honest, I'm still flummoxed over his failure to be such. He was tailor made as a freshman for NBA success. I know he had some issues his sophomore season, but he had ideal height for SG or SF, he could pass, drive, rebound, defend and, as a freshman, could shoot. Whatever...

mogrovejo
05-31-2010, 04:03 PM

Yeah, unless you said that in his rookie season or something, using the qualifier "Might" was pretty dumb.

Roddy Beaubois
05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
I defended Amare after the Suns lost and he had no right to be defended

:tu. Glad to see you came to your senses.

A few things I've been wrong about this year:
Mavs would at least make WCF.
Drew Gooden would be worthless here.
Jason Kidd will step up his play for PO's

A few things I was right about this year:
Carlisles refusal to play Roddy will come back to bite us in this ass
LMAO Jason Terry

Shastafarian
05-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Before the playoffs started I said I would pick any team against the Suns...including a B-Royless Blazers squad.

ElNono
05-31-2010, 04:24 PM
I thought Boston was done and said so. Boy, was I wrong...

JamStone
05-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Runner up...
Once said Marcus Williams of Arizona would be a 15/17 ppg scorer in the NBA. To be honest, I'm still flummoxed over his failure to be such. He was tailor made as a freshman for NBA success. I know he had some issues his sophomore season, but he had ideal height for SG or SF, he could pass, drive, rebound, defend and, as a freshman, could shoot. Whatever...

I was pretty high on Marcus Williams too. Thought he'd be a pretty good player in the league. In fact, I thought the other Marcus Williams was going to be a good player in the league as well, the point guard out of UConn.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-31-2010, 04:38 PM
I was pretty high on Marcus Williams too. Thought he'd be a pretty good player in the league. In fact, I thought the other Marcus Williams was going to be a good player in the league as well, the point guard out of UConn.

I thought the same thing about the lap-top man, when he was still there in the 2006 draft when Phoenix went on the clock I practically had an orgasm thinking there's the back up PG we desperately need in Phoenix, then I got really pissed when they traded the pick to Boston, and I scoffed Boston for drafting Rondo over him.

j-money24
05-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Without a doubt...
In 2005 (I think pre Spurs Title) I argued for Amare for a decade over Duncan for next five years. In my defense, I didn't pose the question and was merely weighing potential of a young stud with tremendous physical ability (pre microfracture) vs. the waning years of an All-Time great and made a comparison of Hakeem and Kareem as an example. Well... two Duncan Titles in the next five years and I look completely foolish for ever even venturing.

Runner up...

I was wrong about Marcus Williams also, he had so much potential, i though he was going to be a top 5 guard.

j-money24
05-31-2010, 05:52 PM
:tu. Glad to see you came to your senses.

A few things I've been wrong about this year:
Mavs would at least make WCF.
Drew Gooden would be worthless here.
Jason Kidd will step up his play for PO's

A few things I was right about this year:
Carlisles refusal to play Roddy will come back to bite us in this ass
LMAO Jason Terry

Yeah, that was very dumb by Carlisle.. You should have him fired Roddy.

SomeCallMeTim
05-31-2010, 07:16 PM

Nah.

Just because a prediction doesn't come true doesn't mean it's dumb.

I figured 7 out of 10 times Cleveland wins that series. Maybe even 8 out of 10 times based on how poorly Boston played for long stretches this season.

There's a great line Philip Roth wrote that says in part "harmless history, where everything unexpected in its own time is chronicled on the page as inevitable." In other words, history is written by the winners and everything takes on the sheen of "destiny" and inevitability in retrospect, as if a team is somehow "entitled" to greatness by The Basketball Gawdz and anyone who didn't see it was somehow dumb.

People forget that the 01 Lakers were a huge disappointment in the regular season. Most forget the 02 Lakers were within a whisker of being eliminated in the WCFs. Most forget the 99 Spurs got a lot of help from Sean Elliott's Memorial Day Miracle. The 04 Pistons, 06 Heat, 07 Spurs, 08 Celtics, and 09 Lakers were unexpected in their own ways but in retrospect everyone just assumes it was somehow "inevitable." Nope.

Cavs over Celtics was the smart bet. Not saying that Boston didn't belong on the court with Cleveland, but if the RS means anything (and history says it does) then picking against the Cavs was the dumb pick.

Unexpected things just happen sometimes. That's why they play the games.

SomeCallMeTim
05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Things I thought were one way... but it's the other way:

Cleveland > Orlando > Boston

Nuggets > Mavs > Jazz > Spurs > Suns

Pleasantly surprised at Kobe's total turnaround in the POs. I thought if he couldn't get it going down the stretch of the RS, there was little hope of him doing so in money time. He is really impressing me right now.

BUMP
05-31-2010, 07:37 PM
flipping back to the BUMP archives I remember saying that when we got Devean George in 06, that his championship experience would prove to be huge for us. :lol

We won 67 games that year but he gave us absolutely nothing

ginobili's bald spot
05-31-2010, 07:43 PM
I was wrong when I thought Kobe was done. That's about it. I was right about most other things. I didn't think the Mavs would do shit. I laughed at Spurfan who thought they were going to kick ass now that they had Richard Jefferson. I said the lakers suns would go 5 or 6. I told everyone they were dunb when they said Artest is going to "implode" :rolleyes and fuck up the Lakers.

Ghazi
05-31-2010, 07:50 PM
I think I've referred to Bynum as a top 5 center before

Motherfuckers play from Nov-Jan always tricks me, along with box scores that don't tell his cancerous story.

Trainwreck2100
05-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Thing i was wrong about
The Spurs showing up against the Suns this year.

Things I was right about
The Vaunted Suns defense
pretty much everything else ive ever said

duhoh
05-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Spurs LA WCF

urunobili
05-31-2010, 09:50 PM
I said Orlando would get out of the East :depressed

pauls931
05-31-2010, 10:10 PM
My past opinions on Dragic and more recently Lopez were pretty off.

Giuseppe
05-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Daring the Princess to ban me.

j-money24
05-31-2010, 11:08 PM

Tee-hee

j-money24
06-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Predicting the Heat would beat the Celtics in 7 games was probably the dumbest i said in this forum.

milkshakeballa
06-01-2010, 12:40 AM

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Jeremy
06-01-2010, 01:48 AM
I defended Amare after the Suns lost and he had no right to be defended, maybe Frye should have boxed out more but Amare didn't have to just stand and watch, he could have at least attempted to fight Odom for the rebounds. At this point, I want him to stay so the Suns don't fall apart and because I still try to believe he might mature one day, but I won't be pissed at Kerr or Sarver if he leaves.

I'll only be upset if they don't replace him with a high-caliber player. At this point I would prefer Boozer over Amare--at least he rebounds in the playoffs. Perhaps a sign-and-trade could be worked out.

Kobe™
06-01-2010, 03:16 AM
I think I've referred to Bynum as a top 5 center before

Motherfuckers play from Nov-Jan always tricks me, along with box scores that don't tell his cancerous story.

You also said the Mavs were making the finals this year.

mystargtr34
06-01-2010, 03:21 AM
I was so sure the Cavs would meet the Lakers in the Finals... and win in a close series.. but nonetheless make it to the Finals.

Also thought the SPurs would beat Phoenix comfortably in six games max.

mystargtr34
06-01-2010, 03:23 AM
In my defense i wasnt that high on Orlando all season... i thought the Cavs would have handled them with this years team, and i also thought Boston would beat Orlando handily which they did (Although this was after they came to life against the Cavs).

Theres also alot more things i was wrong about.

peteee
06-01-2010, 06:11 AM
I said the Spurs would sweep Phoenix...:lmao
Bwahahahaha Capello :lol was it the tiredness of a trophyless team that made u a fan of the 4-ring Spurs?

LOL no trophy since Bobby Charlton 1966

LOL missing penalities in 06

LOL Gerrard Lampard & Carragher

LOL Rooney sent off for treading Ferreira's balls.

Muser
06-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Bwahahahaha Capello :lol was it the tiredness of a trophyless team that made u a fan of the 4-ring Spurs?

LOL no trophy since Bobby Charlton 1966

LOL missing penalities in 06

LOL Gerrard Lampard & Carragher

LOL Rooney sent off for treading Ferreira's balls.

pauls931
06-01-2010, 07:27 AM
I'll only be upset if they don't replace him with a high-caliber player. At this point I would prefer Boozer over Amare--at least he rebounds in the playoffs. Perhaps a sign-and-trade could be worked out.

They need to clone Barkley, man before Duncan Donuts did him in, he was just a notch below rodman (rebounding wise, everything else he was infinitely better). And being shorter than malone, he hurt fewer players with his elbows.

pauls931
06-01-2010, 07:39 AM
I'll top my past ones right here...

I think KoolAid_Man is TimVp AKA SpursDynasty.

Notice that someone who's family he insulted created a thread pointing out dumb things he said like he did for the Suns... Gets locked after 3 replies...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Fuck Carlos Loozer, I don't want a sub-human pathetic existence playing PF for the Suns.

Brazil
06-01-2010, 09:55 AM
too many things to be listed

21_Blessings
06-01-2010, 09:57 AM
At least Boozer rebounds

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Wrong predictions isn't necessarily the same of saying dumb things.

I didn't see Marcus Williams (the point-forward, the UConn guard I never got the appeal) in college, but I liked his game in the D-League and SL and I thought he could be a rotational player in the NBA. I still think that.

Believing he could be a top-5 guard in the league was dumb because he never showed the high-level talents for that - he'd need to be freakishly athletic, which he's far from being. However, as a rotational player, a quality backup, a scoring role-player, why not?

Sometimes, players blossom or bust in the NBA due to things out of their control - the team they're in or simply the lack of opportunities. And not every guy is fortunate enough to be a Bill Laimbeer, a Ben Wallace, a Stephen Jackson, a Chris Andersen. For the majority of the future NBA players, for the guys in this draft, for example, the situation+team they'll fall into this Summer will be almost decisive for their career. Some guys have such a powerful combination of talent+mental fortitude that one way or the other they'll be accomplished or solid pros at the highest level. For some others, the team drafting them will be as important as the work they put on. Especially because of how important is this stage of their careers in terms of development.

But opportunity+luck is a big part of what makes a rotational NBA player.

Likewise, Carter to Orlando... it didn't work out better because Carter lost a fair deal of explosiveness turning the corner on ball-screens in just a few months. Meaning he doesn't have the same space+time to create for others or get to the rim himself off pick'n'roll situations. Which forced him to change his game a bit with devastating effects on his ability to produce consistently. But last Summer this wasn't an issue. Saying Carter would age so quickly and so badly 1 year ago would be simply a guess - a realistic one, but merely a guess.

Hedo to Toronto is another example of how the situation a player is in can change perceptions. If Triano hadn't opted to give the reigns to Calderon/Jack and to Bosh (Raptors offense was heavily centred on their PGs and on Bosh isos) but instead had used Hedo the same way SVG used him in his last season in Orlando, Hedo would have put similar or even better numbers than he did with the Magic and he wouldn't be considered such an awful signing.

Höfner
06-01-2010, 05:39 PM
you should be paying a fee to read this