PDA

View Full Version : Social leaches

v2freak
06-01-2010, 04:31 AM
That's the best name I can come up for people like this. Is there a more common name to describe people that sort of latch on to you and use you as a stepping stone to meet your friends and expand their social network? Has anyone ever met anyone like this? People that continually use your resources, don't give you space, and don't seem to contribute anything in return?

Social barnacle is the only other thing I could maybe come up with.

Urban dictionary has a definition that somewhat aligns with what I'm trying to describe but it's filed under "social moth"
============
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=social+leach
"Social Moths usually aren't particularly attractive or talented and tend to lack any real personality so they gather around people with those qualities to make themselves appear more interesting."
============

It's not even easy to describe because it seems to be a weird thing to even acknowledge.

If expanding one's social network were thought as tangible items and someone was constantly taking your things, wouldn't you notice if the inequity became very large?

Ghazi
06-01-2010, 04:38 AM
A few people I know from Britain called people like this "beg friends"

MiamiHeat
06-01-2010, 04:40 AM
I'm a lone wolf, so I wouldn't know about this

JudynTX
06-01-2010, 08:12 AM
That's the best name I can come up for people like this. Is there a more common name to describe people that sort of latch on to you and use you as a stepping stone to meet your friends and expand their social network? Has anyone ever met anyone like this? People that continually use your resources, don't give you space, and don't seem to contribute anything in return?

Social barnacle is the only other thing I could maybe come up with.

Urban dictionary has a definition that somewhat aligns with what I'm trying to describe but it's filed under "social moth"
============
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=social+leach
"Social Moths usually aren't particularly attractive or talented and tend to lack any real personality so they gather around people with those qualities to make themselves appear more interesting."
============

It's not even easy to describe because it seems to be a weird thing to even acknowledge.

If expanding one's social network were thought as tangible items and someone was constantly taking your things, wouldn't you notice if the inequity became very large?

I need an example, before I can give my two cents. :lol

mrsmaalox
06-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I just always call them my "hangers on" :dramaquee

tlongII
06-01-2010, 10:09 AM
That's my posse'!

Triumph
06-01-2010, 03:10 PM
It's like, i didn't say it was okay for you to sniff my buddy's ass, but they just assume.

boutons_deux
06-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Social leaches [sic] don't like people of color, so they try to eliminate them.

4>0rings
06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Insecure that other people are going to steal your friends away. :lol

Frenzy
06-01-2010, 06:27 PM

That's what I thought. Who the hell cares. Unless they are on you like "introduce me introduce me" Now that's annoying.

v2freak
06-02-2010, 09:57 PM

That's what I thought. Who the hell cares. Unless they are on you like "introduce me introduce me" Now that's annoying.

Yeah, I get ya. It's a very weird thing to talk about. I think I follow a very strict code when it comes to friends. I always try to keep things equitable in every way I can - for example, who would want to hang out with a friend that is always "forgetting" his wallet and asking you to pay for him, or with someone who only seems to use you to talk about their problems but can't take the time to listen to yours? I feel like friendships run on reciprocation. When that equity is out of control, like Frenzy says, things get annoying. Just wondering what everyone else thought about it.

Anybody watch Wild N'Out? The episode with Ne-Yo had a pretty good song about freeloading, but it was in regards to a different kind of piggybacking. The guys on Ne-Yo's team were singing about how they get a lot of ass just by pretending to be tight with Ne-Yo, haha.

TDMVPDPOY
06-02-2010, 10:38 PM
its called facebook hahah

austN Spur
06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
http://babypoobarellah.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/jerry_seinfeld.jpgand whats the deal with friends who wont share their beer. U have beer i want some also. share man!

austN Spur
06-02-2010, 10:56 PM
but seriously, i've been added to facebook by people ive seen at school and never talk to. they dont talk to me at school but they see me,i guess, on someone else page and they add me. I dont understand this? i only add them cause i dont want to be a dick

TDMVPDPOY
06-03-2010, 12:05 AM
well u must make friends with the ugly chicks to get through their hot friends...its always been like this

Sotongball21
06-03-2010, 07:15 AM
but seriously, i've been added to facebook by people ive seen at school and never talk to. they dont talk to me at school but they see me,i guess, on someone else page and they add me. I dont understand this? i only add them cause i dont want to be a dick

I thought people adding school mates on facebook is the norm?

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 08:04 AM
I just always call them my "hangers on" :dramaquee

Working out the pecs might help with that.

SourCandy
06-03-2010, 08:12 AM
well u must make friends with the ugly chicks to get through their hot friends...its always been like this

:lol that's so mean

DarkReign
06-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I know what he/she is referring to.

I dont much give a shit, but there is a friend of mine (3 years older) who was in the "popular" crowd in high school. He is extremely short and fat, but oozes personality and wit.

As it were...

Ive noticed these "social leeches" are usually women. A new girl arrives in high school from another district. She doesnt know a damn soul in the school. In 3 days, she realizes Steve (the friend) is popular, sets her sights on him and eventually they are an item.

It took her two months to ingratiate herself with his friends. She quickly broke up with him and started dating the star receiver on the football team (who ended getting a ful scholarship to Michigan State, but was derailed by his pre-existing cocaine addiction).

Call her a leech, a user...whatever. I'll call her smart. She is now married to guy who owns his own landscaping business that he started in (ta-da) high school. He is a multi-multi-multi millionaire. The richest person I know. He was a millionaire at age 24, he is now 31 and his business has grown by leaps and bounds since then (city contracts, residential, commercial...everywhere in Metro Detroit). Ironically, her husband is also a lifelong, childhood friend of Steve. Steve actually works for this guy (and has since high school) in an upper management position (making really good coin, too).

She was a bitch, sure, but a smart bitch with a plan.

TDMVPDPOY
06-03-2010, 11:31 PM
:lol that's so mean

its true though...when i was overseas a few months ago had the opportunity to know a few new friends, lets just say they were below avg girls, but better then nothin...had this chubby girl who could probably outdrink most of the guys on the table, while everyone was buzy tryin to chat up the good looking ones...friend tells me go through the ugly to get to the hot chicks, im like dude did you just see her down that bottle just then, i aint sculling a drink against her end up drunk and regret whatever happens afterwards, or give her any ideas being interested in her.....well she had a butch face all night cause none of the boyz were speaking to her....

hey i dont wanna cut ur meal, but i know what i like and dislike

v2freak
06-05-2010, 02:14 AM
I know what he/she is referring to.

I dont much give a shit, but there is a friend of mine (3 years older) who was in the "popular" crowd in high school. He is extremely short and fat, but oozes personality and wit.

As it were...

Ive noticed these "social leeches" are usually women. A new girl arrives in high school from another district. She doesnt know a damn soul in the school. In 3 days, she realizes Steve (the friend) is popular, sets her sights on him and eventually they are an item.

It took her two months to ingratiate herself with his friends. She quickly broke up with him and started dating the star receiver on the football team (who ended getting a ful scholarship to Michigan State, but was derailed by his pre-existing cocaine addiction).

Call her a leech, a user...whatever. I'll call her smart. She is now married to guy who owns his own landscaping business that he started in (ta-da) high school. He is a multi-multi-multi millionaire. The richest person I know. He was a millionaire at age 24, he is now 31 and his business has grown by leaps and bounds since then (city contracts, residential, commercial...everywhere in Metro Detroit). Ironically, her husband is also a lifelong, childhood friend of Steve. Steve actually works for this guy (and has since high school) in an upper management position (making really good coin, too).

She was a bitch, sure, but a smart bitch with a plan.

:wow Damn! Did you witness all of this unfold?