PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: Hey man, it’s Ice: An interview with George Gervin

Blackjack
06-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Hey man, it’s Ice: An interview with George Gervin
by Graydon Gordian

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/george-gervin-279x300.jpg

I don’t consider myself easily starstruck by my interviewees. I’ll admit to being a little excited and more than a little nervous the first time I spoke with Gregg Popovich. And I’d be a brazen liar if I said I wasn’t all smiles after the first time I met Tim Duncan. But after seeing the players standing around in their underwear a few too many times, you get over that pretty quickly.

I’ve gone on to interview some prominent people, and suddenly basketball players don’t seem like such a big deal anymore. That’s why a friend of mine from the office was a little surprised to see the state I was in after I hung up the phone with George Gervin.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/05/31/hey-man-its-ice-an-interview-with-george-gervin/#more-8583)

tp2021
06-01-2010, 12:34 PM
We got to be realistic too, man. We’ve won four championships in 10, 11 years. That’s pretty good, man. We’ve got franchises that never won one. I know our fan base was a little disappointed that we got swept by Phoenix but we can’t forget. We’re still a dominant franchise. We’ve got to realize that the players were probably more disappointed than the fans. We’ve got to keep our confidence in our team. We know there is always another year.

ambchang
06-01-2010, 01:39 PM
I know he's ice and all, but I can't help but snicker when I saw this:

To me what is exciting is team play, defensive plays.

Oh, and absolutely no mention of Jefferson.

SenorSpur
06-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Ice really is a genuinely nice guy. I've had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of different occasions, both as an adult and as a kid, attending the games at the Hemisfair Arena. His nickname does fit him perfectly. He is a guy that makes you feel totally at ease and comfortable when you talk to him. The cat is indeed as cool as ice.

Because he is the franchise's first superstar player and HOFer, he always will have a special place in my mind.

SenorSpur
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
I know he's ice and all, but I can't help but snicker when I saw this:

Oh, and absolutely no mention of Jefferson.

Yeah, I thought about that too and smiled. I actually thought Ice could've easily been a bit tongue-in-cheek with that statement. Either way, he should've been amused himself by his own comment.

Ice was notorious for playing the matador "ole'" type of defense. After all, his job was to score. Now I will give him credit for getting the occasional weakside block, but you'd never see him take a charge and you'd never mistake his on-the-ball defense for that of Dennis Johnson.

DesignatedT
06-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Haha good interview. I've seen Ice around a couple times. One time the dude smelt like straight up weed. The guy for sure tokes it up.

Russ
06-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Hey man, it’s Ice: An interview with George Gervin
by Graydon Gordian

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/george-gervin-279x300.jpgI’ve gone on to interview some prominent people, and suddenly basketball players don’t seem like such a big deal anymore. That’s why a friend of mine from the office was a little surprised to see the state I was in after I hung up the phone with George Gervin.

“You’re glowing,” she said.

“He won the MVP in 1980,” I yelled, a bit too loudly and with no consideration for the fact that she had no idea what or who I was talking about.

When your phone rings and Gervin introduces himself with an inimitable ease, you can’t help but think, “damn, his nickname is appropriate.”

I'm right there with you (except winning the MVP in 1980 -- it was the All Star Game MVP.) :)