PDA

View Full Version : Is KG getting the credit he deserves for his defense?

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 12:49 PM
http://www.celticsblog.com/2010/6/1/1495867/garnetts-shutouts#storyjump

Garnett's Shutouts

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/placeholders/profile/tiny.v11567.gif by drza44 (http://www.sbnation.com/users/drza44)

I've been surprised that nobody is really talking much about what Garnett has been doing on defense this postseason. I've been watching basketball a lot of years, and frankly...I'm not sure I've ever even heard of someone having a defensive run like KG is on in these playoffs. Michael Beasley (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/35060/Michael_Beasley), Antawn Jamison (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21838/Antawn_Jamison) and Rashard Lewis (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21598/Rashard_Lewis) are all good-to-very-good offensive players. Two are recent All Stars. All are consistent 15 - 20 ppg scorers that are among the leading offensive threats for their respective teams. And most importantly, all were playing really well before they faced Boston and even did great against Boston...as long as Garnett wasn't on the court. To whit...

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5547.jpg
Beasley
'10 reg season: 14.8 ppg, 45% FG, 1.7 TOs, 30 min/game
'10 playoffs Celtics (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/teams/BOS) (KG on bench): 19.5 points/30 min, 62% FG, 2.2 TOs/30 min
'10 playoffs Celtics (KG in game): 7.7 points/30 min, 32% FG, 3.2 TOs/30 min

Jamison
Jamison: '10 reg season: 18.7 ppg, 46% FG, 1.4 TOs, 37 min
Jamison: '10 playoffs (not Boston): 19.4 ppg, 51% FG, 1.8 TOs, 35 min/game
Jamison '10 playoffs (Celtics, KG on bench): 26 points/36 min, 56% FG, 0 TOs/36 min
Jamison '10 playoffs (Celtics, KG in game): 11.2 points/36, 38% FG, 1.9 TOs/36

Lewis
Lewis '10 Reg season: 14.1 ppg, 43.5% FG, 1.5 TOs, 33 min
Lewis '10 playoffs (not Boston): 16.4 ppg, 54% FG, 1.8 TOs, 37 min
Lewis '10 playoffs (Celtics, KG on bench): 17.3 pts/36 min, 48% FG, 1.3 TOs/36
Lewis '10 playoffs (Celtics, KG in game): 5.2 pts/36, 24% FG, 2.0 TOs/36

KG is usually given credit as a "defensive anchor"... a help-defender that you can build an elite defense around. And despite the injuries this year he's still that, as every way that we have to measure defensive impact would attest to. But in these playoffs, KG has been performing as a defensive stopper (someone that takes their individual assignment out of the game) on an absurd level.

Most of the time, when a defender is credited for winning a match-up against a good scorer, it is because they slightly limited the opponent's scoring and made them have to work extra hard for every bucket. The idea of "can't really stop him, just contain him and make him less efficient". If a defender takes a few points off their opponent's scoring average and 5% points off their shooting percentage, they are usually deemed to have "stopped" the player. But in this playoffs, KG is essentially cutting his opponent's scoring in half, taking 15 - 20% off their field goal percentage, and adding a full turnover. I know I'm biased because I'm a KG fan but really...how is this not news?

The narrative from every round thus far has been essentially that the opposing PF should be ashamed of himself for not showing up. Beasley has been catching major heat in Miami (heh), people are panning the Jamison trade for the Cavs, and everyone is gutting Lewis for his big contract. But there's one common denominator here...Garnett and the Celtics' defense (can't minimize the team defense as a whole, because everyone has been great and Perk especially has been a rock) have erased these guys. Terminated them. I know defense isn't as sexy as offense, but it just seems to me that this should be getting more attention than it has...

lefty
06-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Anything is possible

Giuseppe
06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Credit/schmedit. Win the last game this month and it's shaved pussy.

mavsfan1000
06-01-2010, 01:10 PM
He's got his hands full in this series. I'm in the belief that good defenders can stop good offensive players but not great offensive players. Gasol is a great offensive player. Lakers in 5 or 6.

eisfeld
06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Michael Beasley, Antawn Jamison and Rashard Lewis are all good-to-very-good offensive players.

There goes the credibility... I stopped reading after he named Beasley a good-to-very-good offensive player.

21_Blessings
06-01-2010, 01:36 PM
All that won't mean shit unless he shuts down Gasol.

Beasly/Jamison? :lmao Big fucking deal.

Rashard Lewis is the most overpaid player in the NBA. A one-trick pony. He's not hard to shut down.

TheManFromAcme
06-01-2010, 01:49 PM
All that won't mean shit unless he shuts down Gasol.

Beasly/Jamison? :lmao Big fucking deal.

Rashard Lewis is the most overpaid player in the NBA. A one-trick pony. He's not hard to shut down.

Yup. Rashard hid under a rock the whole series against Boston.
Artest would have eaten the boy up for lunch if the 2 would have met.

Why So Serious
06-01-2010, 02:06 PM
There goes the credibility... I stopped reading after he named Beasley a good-to-very-good offensive player.

Me too :lol:lol:lol

BRHornet45
06-01-2010, 02:22 PM
oh well son Kevin "Vanilla Ice of the NBA" Garnett makes up for it by receiving tons of credit for being the biggest bitch in the NBA.

JamStone
06-01-2010, 02:27 PM
But, but, but Michael Beasley can hit uncontested 15 foot jumpers when the game is not on the line.

Mel_13
06-01-2010, 02:31 PM
What I get from those numbers is this:

KG better be ready to play major minutes because the defenders the Celts use to replace him absolutely suck.

21_Blessings
06-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Big Baby can't defend any of the Laker bigs but Rasheed matches up well with Pau. I don't see how he could run with Odom though.

DJ Mbenga
06-01-2010, 02:50 PM
those are all stretch 4's. not PF's.

SomeCallMeTim
06-01-2010, 02:52 PM
One of the big stories of this matchup is how both teams are being led by guys who appeared to be done this season due to injuries and age.

That both have turned it on and have played great is pretty remarkable.

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 02:53 PM

You don't think he's a good offensive player? Why?

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 02:54 PM
those are all stretch 4's. not PF's.

Like Odom?

This kind of face-up perimeter oriented 4s is the type of player that could give trouble to KG - they're quicker and have a very wide range of action. More typical PFs he defended well even when rounding into form after injury.

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 02:57 PM
What I get from those numbers is this:

KG better be ready to play major minutes because the defenders the Celts use to replace him absolutely suck.

Yeps, they aren't any better than the average starter for other teams.

Bob Lanier
06-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Garnett's help-defense has really fallen off in this year's playoffs. So, he probably is, if he isn't overrated defensively.

bostonguy
06-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah right. We gone take his ass to the deep end and see if he can really swim. I can't wait to administer this ass whooping. There is nothing like ending a Boston run and seeing them take 20+ years to rebuild.

That'd be the perfect way for LA to end this season. Get revenge. Then in the Summer, they will deal Bynum,Morrison,Sasha for Cp3/Okafor. :depressed

LnGrrrR
06-01-2010, 05:09 PM
That'd be the perfect way for LA to end this season. Get revenge. Then in the Summer, they will deal Bynum,Morrison,Sasha for Cp3/Okafor. :depressed

No way does LA take this. Rationally, I can see it. But emotionally, mentally? No way. My brain refuses to picture the Lakers beating the C's in the Finals.

LnGrrrR
06-01-2010, 06:57 PM
We popping bottles in Boston. It's going to be sweet.

Luva, that's sweet. I didn't know you planned on celebrating the Celtics' win too! :toast

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Luva, that's sweet. I didn't know you planned on celebrating the Celtics' win too! :toast
:lol

eisfeld
06-01-2010, 11:35 PM
You don't think he's a good offensive player? Why?

Did you watch any Heat game this year or are you just randomly throwing out questions in a desperate troll attempt?

Ghazi
06-01-2010, 11:41 PM

:lol

LakerHater
06-02-2010, 12:46 AM

Not if McHale gets the Bulls job!