PDA

View Full Version : Was game 4 of the 2008 Finals the most painful ever for Laker fans?

tlongII
06-01-2010, 02:00 PM
You blow a 24 point lead AT HOME on your way to losing in 6 games to the Celtics. That HAD to hurt!

21_Blessings
06-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Yes it hurt. But I bet game 7 2000 WCF hurt more.

Why So Serious
06-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Indeed.

I remember that more vividly than getting blown out by 30.

TheManFromAcme
06-01-2010, 02:07 PM
You blow a 24 point lead AT HOME on your way to losing in 6 games to the Celtics. That HAD to hurt!

It hurt and angered many a Laker fan tlong. No denying it.

Tell me, do you drink morphine martinis when you follow your team?

Hmm?

blkroadrunners
06-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Pwned.

Giuseppe
06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Not for me. The choke job in 84 will always be the worst.

Per usual, Luva, with the goods.

lefty
06-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Ouch :lol

That's why people have to make some research before bashing the Lakers

Because their trolls are sharks

Ashy Larry
06-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Not for me. The choke job in 84 will always be the worst.

damn, beat me to it ....

smoked the Celtics in Game one.

James Worthy had a tremendous Game 2 and threw it all away with one bad pass.

Smoked the C's in game three and up 5 with possession of the ball with 58 seconds on the clock in game 4.

Gave that series away ......

Giuseppe
06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
....we'd flirted with disaster in the Dallas series earlier.

Magic had to hit rock bottom before he could rise.

tlongII
06-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Nah. We were on the road and I think our biggest lead was 18.

lefty
06-01-2010, 02:56 PM
And that has got to hurt

SomeCallMeTim
06-01-2010, 02:58 PM

It was painful.

I think the pain of it was lessened for me as my DVR did a major hiccup that went from the big halftime lead to (I think) the Lakers' lead cut to a perilous 79-77 in the 4th. I missed the terrible 3rd quarter where they gave most of it away. There was no growing alarm, just a jarring "what happened?" moment.

To me the most painful was the failed comeback in San Antonio in game 5 of the 2003 POs. When Horry's shot FTW rimmed out, you just knew the Lakers' run was over. Up until then, every time they needed a shot like that to go down at the end, they got it. In that moment though, the magic departed and it was never to return for the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

Giuseppe
06-01-2010, 03:03 PM
To me the most painful was the failed comeback in San Antonio in game 5 of the 2003 POs. When Horry's shot FTW rimmed out, you just knew the Lakers' run was over. Up until then, every time they needed a shot like that to go down at the end, they got it. In that moment though, the magic departed and it was never to return for the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

Solid offering, Tim. Top notch. Easily visualized once again.

Yes, it started to move away from us and we couldn't get it stopped.

Koolaid_Man
06-01-2010, 03:04 PM

For me it was the Magic HIV announcement...ohhh yeah and the 2008 lost to Boston nothing short of a sweep will suffice for me...

lefty
06-01-2010, 03:05 PM
It was painful.

I think the pain of it was lessened for me as my DVR did a major hiccup that went from the big halftime lead to (I think) the Lakers' lead cut to a perilous 79-77 in the 4th. I missed the terrible 3rd quarter where they gave most of it away. There was no growing alarm, just a jarring "what happened?" moment.

Shit; I thought I was witnessing a fundamental collapse; Lakers down 16, Kobe goes nuts, Horry in.......... :(:yield:spless:

And out :drunk

SomeCallMeTim
06-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Heh. tlong obviously still in the denial stage of grief.

Sorry, but the fact that it was a Game 7 with the big lead given up in the 4th including a stretch of 13 straight missed FGs by the Blazers puts it into another universe beyond the LA vs. BOS meltdown.

Blazers still haven't recovered from that blow. Decade later and they haven't gotten out of the first round.

lil_penny
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM

That and the memorial day miracle do it for me... but that game 7 was basically the finals that year, shaq said it best that whoever won that game won it all, we were so close I could taste it, but the kobe to shaq lob made that sweet taste turn to vommit :/

21_Blessings
06-01-2010, 03:37 PM
2008 was made easier by knowing the Lakers had at least a 5 year window. The Blazers just fizzled out after 2000. They never emotionally recovered while slowly morphing into the JailBlazers.

lil_penny
06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
2008 was made easier by knowing the Lakers had at least a 5 year window. The Blazers just fizzled out after 2000. They never emotionally recovered while slowly morphing into the JailBlazers.

That was actually a pretty fast morph imo lol...

TheManFromAcme
06-01-2010, 04:00 PM

Yup.

That was the only ray of light that made it easier for me just as well.
All "JailBlazer" puns aside...I wonder what awaits this bunch next season

tlongII
06-01-2010, 04:26 PM

We were already the Jail Blazers at that point. We'd been thuggin and buggin for a good 4-5 years already. What that loss did to us is that it caused Whitsitt to have a brain cramp and trade Jermaine O'Neal and Brian Grant while simultaneously acquiring the fat version of Shawn Kemp. Those were disastrous maneuvers.

Venti Quattro
06-01-2010, 08:16 PM
yes. 131-92 was no match to the pain that this game caused

Ashy Larry
06-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah, but game 7 was even worse. Two minutes to go, down by five, Magic gets ripped clean by DJ, Coop saves his ass by coming up with the heroic block on the other end, and Worthy comes down and hits a fifteen footer to cut it to three with about a minute and a half left. Lakers get it back, and Magic comes down again with a horrible pass to nowhere, and turns the ball over. When the buzzer finally sounded, I'll never forget the sea of Celtic fans drown Kareem out of picture, and all I could think about was "why me." What was suppose to be a celebration BBQ turned out to be a search party for a a little boy hiding, while crying in the hills of Griffith Park. I've never been the same.

true ... but if the lakers handle one of those other two, we're talkin' six games at most and even a possible sweep. bad series.

Smooth Criminal
06-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Hey one that was pretty bad for me, but turned out to be a false alarm was losing Game 2 to Denver last year. I thought it was over after that I was pretty depressed, but due to the outcome of the series it doesn't deserve a place in even the Top 10 Laker Pain Moments. It might have been the scariest false alarm though

Ashy Larry
06-01-2010, 10:27 PM
they redeemed themselves the following year and showed plenty of heart after that Game 1 beat down ...... just seeing Red seriously pissed as the Lakers celebrated on the parquet was so beautiful .....

Ashy Larry
06-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Oh, I can't wait until I see old man Bill's face when Kobe gets another one of those trophy's named in his honor. I bet you he won't present it this year, slimy bastard.

seemed like he was a little bitter handing that trophy to Kobe ...... but he is the ultimate Celtic ...... damn I hope they can pull this title out because seeing Tommy Heinsohn cry like a bitch always makes me happy ......

Giuseppe
06-01-2010, 10:45 PM
they redeemed themselves the following year and showed plenty of heart after that Game 1 beat down ...... just seeing Red seriously pissed as the Lakers celebrated on the parquet was so beautiful .....

....he was livid.

Good citation, Ashy.

Venti Quattro
06-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Game 4 made me cry. By game 6 the feeling was already numb. Probably because I was already prepared to lose

picc84
06-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Of the past decade...Yes.

Game 6 didnt compare at all. Was already numb.

That and 2006 game 6. Lakers could have gotten to the finals if that Tim Thomas shot rims out. Or if Odom gets the rebound. Or if Kwame stops to contest instead of flying his dumbass past Thomas. Funny how he could leap that far going for a pumpfake but couldn't jump high enough to finish a layup.

Ashy Larry
06-01-2010, 11:48 PM
lakers have had a lot of beautiful memories but some very painful ones ......

those losses in the 60s had to have been brutal for our older fans. every year was "it's our year to beat the C's", only to come up short and having those balloons stay in the rafters at the Forum in '69 must have been brutal.

Watching Magic and B. Scott's hammies go snapo against the Pisstains after an undefeated run in the West wasn't nice either

Ghazi
06-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Of the past decade...Yes.

Game 6 didnt compare at all. Was already numb.

That and 2006 game 6. Lakers could have gotten to the finals if that Tim Thomas shot rims out. Or if Odom gets the rebound. Or if Kwame stops to contest instead of flying his dumbass past Thomas. Funny how he could leap that far going for a pumpfake but couldn't jump high enough to finish a layup.

-_-

picc84
06-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Not that far-fetched. The Clippers, as the toughest team left in LA's path after Phoenix, would have posed a challenge but our homecourt advantage would have done them in. From then on it'd be smooth sailing to the finals.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Not that far-fetched. The Clippers, as the toughest team left in LA's path after Phoenix, would have posed a challenge but our homecourt advantage would have done them in. From then on it'd be smooth sailing to the finals.

:lmao bullshit. The 2006 Lakers fuckin sucked, evident by the fact they blew a 3-1 lead to a team starting Boris Diaw at C and Tim Thomas at PF. The Mavs would have steam rolled that ass, assuming the Clippers didn't.

milkshakeballa
06-02-2010, 12:26 AM
:lmao bullshit. The 2006 Lakers fuckin sucked, evident by the fact they blew a 3-1 lead to a team starting Boris Diaw at C and Tim Thomas at PF. The Mavs would have steam rolled that ass, assuming the Clippers didn't.

lakers iirc shitted on the mavs each and every game that year

Ghazi
06-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Went 2-1 v the Mavs.

Still, Mavs were the best team in the NBA that year. Either them or the Spurs.

lol tainted Finals

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-02-2010, 12:33 AM
lakers iirc shitted on the mavs each and every game that year

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200602070DAL.html

But I don't fault you, it's not the first time Lakerfan talks out of their ass about the 2005-2007 era.

ezau
06-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Is this more painful than the 39-point skullfucking that these guys had to endure?

Ashy Larry
06-02-2010, 01:39 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200602070DAL.html

But I don't fault you, it's not the first time Lakerfan talks out of their ass about the 2005-2007 era.

God that roster was brutal .......