PDA

View Full Version : LeBron Tells CNN Cavs Have Edge To Sign Him

Mel_13
06-01-2010, 04:19 PM
CLEVELAND -- LeBron James told CNN's Larry King that the Cleveland Cavaliers "have an edge" when it comes to signing him when the free agency period begins on July 1.

James answered "absolutely" when asked by King if Cleveland has an edge to re-sign him due to his familiarity with the team. The interview was taped Tuesday at his home near Akron and will air Friday on CNN's "Larry King Live," capping the program's 25th anniversary celebration on the network.

"Absolutely. Because, you know, this city, these fans, I mean, have given me a lot in these seven years. And, you know, for me, it's comfortable. So I've got a lot of memories here. And -- and so it does have an edge," James told King.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5238743

Dex
06-01-2010, 04:20 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/mju5o9.gif

JMarkJohns
06-01-2010, 04:21 PM
I've heard that William Wesley of World Wide Wes has said LeBron to Chicago. Maybe he's talking out his ass, but Wes is a credible source with ties to Rose, Calipari and LeBron.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Bullshit.

DesignatedT
06-01-2010, 04:34 PM
smokescreen.

monosylab1k
06-01-2010, 04:42 PM
hmmmm throwing everyone off the scent.

<----------------------

westaaaaaaaaaaaaaacked

MiamiHeat
06-01-2010, 04:43 PM
damn, I hope they keep us in the loop with up to the minute updates.

BlackSwordsMan
06-01-2010, 04:44 PM
A team with a new coach and half of the roster is banging your mother. Real incentive to re-sign.

Ashy Larry
06-01-2010, 04:50 PM
29 teams are gonna have a season, one squad will be happy ....same applies on July 1st when the LeBron sweepstakes kick off.

DPG21920
06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Remember, CLE fans don't want him any more.

SomeCallMeTim
06-01-2010, 05:11 PM

:lol

Give me a good reaction gif any day.

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 05:16 PM

Yeps.

Muser
06-01-2010, 05:24 PM
lol knicks.

lefty
06-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Bullshit.
No

Cavaliershit

Sorry.

SenorSpur
06-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I've said all along that LeBron isn't going anywhere. We'll see how it plays out.

mingus
06-01-2010, 06:34 PM
i think he'll sign wherever Delonte West's mom is residing.

DPG21920
06-01-2010, 07:35 PM
"For Lebron, it's more like Leaveland"

- Lefty

ducks
06-01-2010, 07:55 PM
ofcourse they have an edge it is all about the money

lefty
06-01-2010, 08:28 PM
You even suck at purposely making lame one-liners. Just try to be funny instead of trying to be funny by trying to be stupid, you fail slightly less that way.
STFU, asshole

ducks
06-01-2010, 08:51 PM
I've heard that William Wesley of World Wide Wes has said LeBron to Chicago. Maybe he's talking out his ass, but Wes is a credible source with ties to Rose, Calipari and LeBron.

makes since since the president told him to get his ass their

wonder when noah will be gone

Trainwreck2100
06-01-2010, 08:51 PM
of course they will sign him, that's how sign and trades work afterall

JoeTait75
06-01-2010, 09:01 PM

S&T, Philadelphia, Elton Brand + draft rights to the Villain.

duncan228
06-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Kareem to LeBron: Take Your Time (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/01/kareem-to-lebron-take-your-time/)
By Chris Tomasson

LeBron James is getting plenty of advice approaching July 1, which only looms as one of the most-anticipated days in NBA history. But not many people giving that advice have the credentials of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Abdul-Jabbar is the leading scorer in NBA history, a record James one day could challenge. The trade of Abdul-Jabbar from Milwaukee in 1975 to the Los Angeles Lakers is likely the biggest shift of teams by a player in NBA history. And James, if he bolts Cleveland after likely becoming a free agent July 1, also could offer a challenge there.

"The only thing I would tell LeBron is take your time,'' Abdul-Jabbar said in an interview with FanHouse. "There's a lot to think about. I would just tell him to take his time.''

There are dissimilarities between the situations of Abdul-Jabbar in 1975 and James 35 years later. Abdul-Jabbar was a dominant 7-foot-2 center while James is a 6-8 small forward. And Abdul-Jabbar was traded, while James would be a free agent if he opts out of his contract.

But there might end up being similarities. Abdul-Jabbar, now a Lakers special assistant, had enough clout to ask for a trade from a slipping Milwaukee team, and have the Bucks scramble to accommodate him.

James, if he decides to move on, could end up having the Cavaliers put together a sign-and-trade. Regardless of how it might happen, such a high profile changing of teams would be similar.

"It's going to be a tough choice for him,'' Abdul-Jabbar said of James, a native of Akron, Ohio. "Because they certainly want him to stay in Ohio and he'll be wooed now by other teams. He's got to figure out what makes sense personally and then professionally. There's two factors to it. Where he's going to be comfortable and where the team is going to factor [in terms of winning].

"[Ohio is] home for him. You know he's got to be comfortable there. He's lived there his whole life, all of his professional career. It's really up to him. Maybe he wants to be in Orlando or Miami and forget about winter. Who knows?''

Although not a free agent, Abdul-Jabbar did some work with the Bucks in shopping to find him a new team. He wanted first to go to the Knicks in his native New York, but a deal couldn't be arranged. He then agreed to go to Los Angeles, where he had played college ball at UCLA.

But where Abdul-Jabbar, who played with the Lakers from 1975-89 after being with the Bucks from 1969-75, really could end up providing advice is if James switches teams. Abdul-Jabbar knows what it's like to have the pressure of fans in a new city expecting an instant title.

"It really was [a lot of pressure] because we didn't have the nucleus when I first got (to the Lakers),'' Abdul-Jabbar said. "We got Earvin [Magic Johnson in the 1979 draft], and all of a sudden that changes. ... Fate plays a lot with it. The draft pick they got from New Orleans ends up being Magic, and it turned it all the way around.''

The New Orleans Jazz had signed aging free-agent guard Gail Goodrich from the Lakers in the summer of 1976. Under rules at the time, the Lakers got compensation, and it turned out to be the 1979 top pick that landed Johnson.

The Lakers didn't make a single Finals appearances in Abdul-Jabbar's first four seasons with them. But they won the title in the first season Abdul-Jabbar was paired with Johnson, and added four more in the 1980s.

"Not only Magic, but [Michael Cooper] came that year [playing in 82 games after being in just three the year before as a rookie],'' said Norm Nixon, a Lakers guard from 1977-83. "Jim Chones came that year. So you had a better team all around [Abdul-Jabbar]. It took a few years.''

Abdul-Jabbar had won three MVP trophies before he was traded, and added three with the Lakers to make it a record six. James, 25, has two MVPs in seven seasons, so it's not out of the question he could catch Abdul-Jabbar there.

As for championships, Abdul-Jabbar won five of his six after switching teams. So James, who has no titles and just one Finals appearance, would have plenty of work to do there.

SourCandy
06-01-2010, 09:39 PM
When it is confirmed like half of yall will have a hard on to run here and make a thread about it.

DJ Mbenga
06-01-2010, 10:32 PM
lebron to kareem: you were never a free agent, nigga leave me alone

Lawrence_Taylor
06-02-2010, 02:46 AM
he's stayin in cleveland, no team out there except New Jersey is going to be better than clevelands situation.

TE
06-02-2010, 02:47 AM
he's stayin in cleveland, no team out there except New Jersey is going to be better than clevelands situation.

Chicago ?? :wakeup

Lawrence_Taylor
06-02-2010, 02:52 AM
Chicago ?? :wakeup
nah nigga. look at that tremendous pressure playing in chicago. evertime you go to work, you have mj's statue out there, his 6 nba championship bannah hanging in the rafters and multiple images of his airness plastered all over the building holding each of his mvp's (11 of them total)

lebron's ego wont allow him to be second best of a franchise mayne. man, if the dude only brings 1 title in chicago, basically he'll be the third best in terms of legacy. imagine being jordan and pippens bitch for a legacy. thats tough.

TE
06-02-2010, 03:02 AM
nah nigga. look at that tremendous pressure playing in chicago. evertime you go to work, you have mj's statue out there, his 6 nba championship bannah hanging in the rafters and multiple images of his airness plastered all over the building holding each of his mvp's (11 of them total)

lebron's ego wont allow him to be second best of a franchise mayne. man, if the dude only brings 1 title in chicago, basically he'll be the third best in terms of legacy. imagine being jordan and pippens bitch for a legacy. thats tough.

Well if you think of it that way of course no man of a Lebron James stature would want to be remembered as third best in team history. But in terms of today's state of the team. Chicago has the second best chance to get Lebron because of the potential of the roster. Of course, Chicago would need to get a legit big man but in terms of strength of roster. Chicago is therefore considered first IMO (outside of Cleveland).

Lawrence_Taylor
06-02-2010, 03:11 AM
Well if you think of it that way of course no man of a Lebron James stature would want to be remembered as third best in team history. But in terms of today's state of the team. Chicago has the second best chance to get Lebron because of the potential of the roster. Of course, Chicago would need to get a legit big man but in terms of strength of roster. Chicago is therefore considered first IMO (outside of Cleveland).
they too thin to go win a title. noah and derrick rose aint enough. plus lebron is ball dominant, i dont know how he gonna function with another ball dominating guard like rose. plus lebron and noah dont even like each other. they too young to let bygones be bygones unlike rodman and jordan when they played together. gm is a mess, owner is a cheap ass. only thing going good for chicago are the fans and the city itself.

lebron in new jersey makes a lot more sense. new billionaire owner, new stadium, 6 expiring contracts, brook lopez is comparable to noah, devin harris is a decent point, courtney lee is a decent sg and they can actually pull another superstar like bosh or amare and sign other role players to play with bron.

TE
06-02-2010, 03:18 AM
they too thin to go win a title. noah and derrick rose aint enough. plus lebron is ball dominant, i dont know how he gonna function with another ball dominating guard like rose. plus lebron and noah dont even like each other. they too young to let bygones be bygones unlike rodman and jordan when they played together. gm is a mess, owner is a cheap ass. only thing going good for chicago are the fans and the city itself.

lebron in new jersey makes a lot more sense. new billionaire owner, new stadium, 6 expiring contracts, brook lopez is comparable to noah, devin harris is a decent point, courtney lee is a decent sg and they can actually pull another superstar like bosh or amare and sign other role players to play with bron.

Yeah but you would think tradition plays a part into this decision. New Jersey isn't necessarily considered a play of 'great' winning tradition. They had a chance to win in the finals a couple of years ago only to bow out to far superior teams. I mean they did lose how many games this past year with a full intact roster? I will give you it to you that New Jersey sure has a lot of potential only because of the players on the roster. But really, wherever Lebron goes, the full potential of a team should be known at the time of arrival. That is why I put New Jersey second at best behind Chicago.

peteee
06-02-2010, 05:34 AM
James, if he decides to move on, could end up having the Cavaliers put together a sign-and-trade. Regardless of how it might happen, such a high profile changing of teams would be similar.

That's the point IMHO. It's now just the Knicks and Nets that need to move on to seek alternate options like Wade and Bosh. Lebron ain't staying with Cavs so "having edge" only represents the prequel of a historical Lebron-move. Lebron is going to move anyway, through a sign-and-trade deal in this summer, and you all know who and only who have the trading assets the Cavs want.

TinTin
06-02-2010, 06:05 AM

:lmao

Really? CNN has nothing better to do?