PDA

View Full Version : Lakers face NBA's top diva in Paul Pierce

duncan228
06-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Lakers face NBA's top diva in Paul Pierce (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/top-251219-boston-diva.html)
By Jeff Miller
The Orange County Register

He is nicknamed “The Truth,” ironic for a player whose on-court reactions so often are lies.

The Lakers will face plenty against Boston in these upcoming NBA Finals. The will of Kevin Garnett. The guile of Ray Allen . The speed of Rajon Rondo.

And the fraudulence of Paul Pierce.

Oh, Pierce is a wonderful player, every aspect of his game genuinely legitimate. But one.

And the Oscar goes to…

The player who, during an Eastern Conference finals game in Orlando, was identified on a fan’s sign as “RuPaul Pierce.”

The biggest diva in the NBA, that’s Pierce. He sells fouls like 7-Eleven sells Slurpees – constantly. He is as dramatic as an Elvis sighting. He is a soap opera in shorts.

The prediction here is it will take Pierce less than one quarter of Game 1 Thursday to be so wronged by a Laker defender that he’ll appear to have been hit by an ice cream truck.

On Monday, an unscientific survey of the Lakers determined that none of them would touch the subject of Pierce being the NBA player most likely to receive an endorsement for diapers.

Luckily, the Celtics played the Heat in the opening round of these playoffs, Miami’s Quentin Richardson speaking where the Lakers wouldn’t, calling Pierce and Garnett “actresses.”

This was after a play that left Pierce, in the words of Richardson, “on the ground crying.” Naturally, Pierce wasn’t hurt, amazingly recovering in an instant and returning to action.

“Sometimes he falls like he’s about to be out for the season,” Richardson said, “and then he gets right up.”

The Lakers weren’t willing to discuss the topic, but you know – just absolutely know – they watch replays of Pierce and laugh at his absurd antics.

Then they probably compare him to their Sasha Vujacic, a sub who, when it comes to accentuating contact, is a superstar. We’re only guessing but Vujacic, out of instinct, probably recoils when he walks through the X-ray machine at an airport.

Sorry to be so negative, but we just call them like we see them, which is why we had to laugh at the shameless money grab the NBA conducted following both conference finals clinchers.

In an attempt to sell bad souvenir caps and T-shirts, the league forced the Lakers and Celtics to participate in awkward ceremonies honoring their achievements of winning something the players could not possibly care less about.

Here were the two franchises that have claimed 32 of the NBA’s 63 league titles being presented trophies marking half-championships. We’re sure the players would have preferred something more modern and useful, like Watchman TVs.

Anyway, back to Pierce. Oddly, he is one resilient dude. His toughness was cemented in 2000 when he recovered from being stabbed 11 times in an attack at a nightclub to be the only Celtic to play in all 82 games the next season.

And yet, his drives to the basket end in ridiculous fits of overacting. His fights through screens feature flailing arms and whiplashing head snaps. His contested jumpers leave people shrieking, “Oh, my Lord, has Paul been pierced?!”

In a sense, Pierce is one of the great prop comics in NBA history. There’s his headband, which flies off or ends up crooked during one of his limb-risking, world-ending collisions at the basket.

He already has had several of those in the playoffs, particularly last series against Orlando and Dwight Howard.

To his credit, Pierce rarely whines afterward. Following one game against the Magic, he called one of Howard’s hard fouls “just playoff basketball.” He also said, “You’ve got to expect it.”

Admirable, refreshing even. But we have a question, Paul: If you got to expect it, why do you still react to those types of fouls as if you were hit with a falling bank safe?

Of course, Pierce’s most famous prop was the wheelchair that rolled him out of Game 1 of the 2008 Finals against the Lakers. Somehow, that debilitating knee injury fixed itself in about 10 minutes.

(It later was learned that the Celtics team physician on call that night was, conveniently enough, Dr. Jesus Christ. This news came to light when our savior Tweeted about it, LOL.)

Although he still insists the injury was legitimate, Pierce strangely even mocked himself. Following the ’08 Finals, he agreed to be wheeled by a nurse onto the set of “Jimmy Kimmel Live” while holding the championship trophy.

It has to make you wonder a little bit, right? It makes us wonder a whole lot, wonder why he hasn’t been awarded a golden statue for his acting efforts.

Have to be careful handing it to Pierce, though. Even though he’s barely a foot tall and weighs only 8½ pounds, the Oscar is plenty big enough to send Pierce reeling.

Höfner
06-01-2010, 05:35 PM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2008/06/06/va1237312210745/Boston-Celtics-Paul-Pierce-6080583.jpg

mogrovejo
06-01-2010, 05:39 PM
I've never seen such a thing as the trauma that the 2008 finals caused on the Lakers fans. Two years later they still can't stop complaining about it.

Sore, bitter, losers isn't enough to define them.

The injury didn't heal magically, Pierce played on a torn meniscus the rest of the finals. Had Kobe done the same thing, they'd built a statue to him.

tlongII
06-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure how an LA newspaper can call Pierce the league's biggest diva when they see Kobe all the time.

djohn2oo8
06-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure how an LA newspaper can call Pierce the league's biggest diva when they see Kobe all the time.

:lol

Bob Lanier
06-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Wait, the "Orange County Register" has another basketball writer besides the Vietnamese guy?

The Gemini Method
06-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Wait, the "Orange County Register" has another basketball writer besides the Vietnamese guy?

No. That's Kevin Ding's American name...same guy, Caucasian name.

LakerHater
06-01-2010, 06:35 PM
http://with-malice.com/images/stories/blogpics/pierce-injured-again.jpg

NRHector
06-01-2010, 06:47 PM
he probably lied about being stabbed 11 times also, he just wanted the incident to be more dramatic

TampaDude
06-01-2010, 06:57 PM
I've never seen such a thing as the trauma that the 2008 finals caused on the Lakers fans. Two years later they still can't stop complaining about it.

Sore, bitter, losers isn't enough to define them.

The injury didn't heal magically, Pierce played on a torn meniscus the rest of the finals. Had Kobe done the same thing, they'd built a statue to him.

^ this

hitmanyr2k
06-01-2010, 07:01 PM

When I saw the source of the article I was thinking the exact same thing. I chide Pierce for his flopping quite a bit but Kobe and Gasol's volume flailing and verbal flopping are right on par with Pierce's antics. And don't get me started on Derek Fisher who always tries to put on a performance when someone sets a pick on him. I have no doubt we're going to see constant theatrics from both sides in this series. I hope the refs know what's coming and turn a blind eye to all of it. Make these bitches play like men.

BlackSwordsMan
06-01-2010, 07:16 PM
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/3372/danceo.gif

NRHector
06-01-2010, 07:22 PM
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/3372/danceo.gif

wtf?

ChumpDumper
06-01-2010, 07:40 PM
We are the Champs. I think we're over it.What's this "We" shit?

BadOdor
06-01-2010, 07:42 PM
What's this "We" shit?

Fans often say "we" when talking about their teams. What's the problem here, chumpster?

MiamiHeat
06-01-2010, 07:42 PM
ok, that's enough of this shit

duncan228, you don't even seem like a spur fan.

you support the lakers, you post the most Laker biased, california based articles ever on the internet, and you hate on the Laker opposition

for every single time you post a shitty Laker article, I'm going to post a Boston one.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Fans often say "we" when talking about their teams. What's the problem here, chumpster?I believe you missed the earlier thread about this.

The Gemini Method
06-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Laka is the Lakers' no. 1 Paki fan...duh! That's why he gets to say "we" as a collective, and not any other Laker fan...

badfish22
06-01-2010, 07:51 PM

you support the lakers, you post the most Laker biased, california based articles ever on the internet, and you hate on the Laker opposition

for every single time you post a shitty Laker article, I'm going to post a Boston one.

Duncan doesn't seem like a spurfan? He knob slobs Duncan harder than almost anyone.
Plus he just post articles. Not sure what your upset about.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2010, 07:52 PM

for every single time you post a shitty Laker article, I'm going to post a Boston one.Wow, that'll show her!

MiamiHeat
06-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Duncan doesn't seem like a spurfan? He knob slobs Duncan harder than almost anyone.
Plus he just post articles. Not sure what your upset about.

*she

yeah she's a spur fan, but the only articles she EVER posts are all the most Laker biased retarded articles you can ever read

ChumpDumper
06-01-2010, 07:58 PM
*she

yeah she's a spur fan, but the only articles she EVER posts are all the most Laker biased retarded articles you can ever readI think that may be precisely why she posts them.

NRHector
06-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Plus he just post articles. Not sure what your upset about.Hey Duncan did you have a sex change and did tell us? :lol

45 bank shot
06-01-2010, 08:03 PM
KG and paul pierce= pussies

badfish22
06-01-2010, 08:05 PM
*she

My bad. Didn't know, probably because all she does is post articles.

cobbler
06-01-2010, 08:05 PM
*she

yeah she's a spur fan, but the only articles she EVER posts are all the most Laker biased retarded articles you can ever read

Funny coming from a guy using 3 accounts to fuel his Kobe obsession. :lol

me15lo
06-01-2010, 08:13 PM
My bad. Didn't know, probably because all she does is post articles.

yep. i even wanna call him/her mr/ms yahoo sometimes.

Koolaid_Man
06-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Lakers face NBA's top diva in Paul Pierce (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/top-251219-boston-diva.html)
By Jeff Miller
The Orange County Register

He is nicknamed “The Truth,” ironic for a player whose on-court reactions so often are lies.

The Lakers will face plenty against Boston in these upcoming NBA Finals. The will of Kevin Garnett. The guile of Ray Allen . The speed of Rajon Rondo.

And the fraudulence of Paul Pierce.

Oh, Pierce is a wonderful player, every aspect of his game genuinely legitimate. But one.

And the Oscar goes to…

The player who, during an Eastern Conference finals game in Orlando, was identified on a fan’s sign as “RuPaul Pierce.”

The biggest diva in the NBA, that’s Pierce. He sells fouls like 7-Eleven sells Slurpees – constantly. He is as dramatic as an Elvis sighting. He is a soap opera in shorts.

The prediction here is it will take Pierce less than one quarter of Game 1 Thursday to be so wronged by a Laker defender that he’ll appear to have been hit by an ice cream truck.

On Monday, an unscientific survey of the Lakers determined that none of them would touch the subject of Pierce being the NBA player most likely to receive an endorsement for diapers.

Luckily, the Celtics played the Heat in the opening round of these playoffs, Miami’s Quentin Richardson speaking where the Lakers wouldn’t, calling Pierce and Garnett “actresses.”

This was after a play that left Pierce, in the words of Richardson, “on the ground crying.” Naturally, Pierce wasn’t hurt, amazingly recovering in an instant and returning to action.

“Sometimes he falls like he’s about to be out for the season,” Richardson said, “and then he gets right up.”

The Lakers weren’t willing to discuss the topic, but you know – just absolutely know – they watch replays of Pierce and laugh at his absurd antics.

Then they probably compare him to their Sasha Vujacic, a sub who, when it comes to accentuating contact, is a superstar. We’re only guessing but Vujacic, out of instinct, probably recoils when he walks through the X-ray machine at an airport.

Sorry to be so negative, but we just call them like we see them, which is why we had to laugh at the shameless money grab the NBA conducted following both conference finals clinchers.

In an attempt to sell bad souvenir caps and T-shirts, the league forced the Lakers and Celtics to participate in awkward ceremonies honoring their achievements of winning something the players could not possibly care less about.

Here were the two franchises that have claimed 32 of the NBA’s 63 league titles being presented trophies marking half-championships. We’re sure the players would have preferred something more modern and useful, like Watchman TVs.

Anyway, back to Pierce. Oddly, he is one resilient dude. His toughness was cemented in 2000 when he recovered from being stabbed 11 times in an attack at a nightclub to be the only Celtic to play in all 82 games the next season.

And yet, his drives to the basket end in ridiculous fits of overacting. His fights through screens feature flailing arms and whiplashing head snaps. His contested jumpers leave people shrieking, “Oh, my Lord, has Paul been pierced?!”

In a sense, Pierce is one of the great prop comics in NBA history. There’s his headband, which flies off or ends up crooked during one of his limb-risking, world-ending collisions at the basket.

He already has had several of those in the playoffs, particularly last series against Orlando and Dwight Howard.

To his credit, Pierce rarely whines afterward. Following one game against the Magic, he called one of Howard’s hard fouls “just playoff basketball.” He also said, “You’ve got to expect it.”

Admirable, refreshing even. But we have a question, Paul: If you got to expect it, why do you still react to those types of fouls as if you were hit with a falling bank safe?

Of course, Pierce’s most famous prop was the wheelchair that rolled him out of Game 1 of the 2008 Finals against the Lakers. Somehow, that debilitating knee injury fixed itself in about 10 minutes.

(It later was learned that the Celtics team physician on call that night was, conveniently enough, Dr. Jesus Christ. This news came to light when our savior Tweeted about it, LOL.)

Although he still insists the injury was legitimate, Pierce strangely even mocked himself. Following the ’08 Finals, he agreed to be wheeled by a nurse onto the set of “Jimmy Kimmel Live” while holding the championship trophy.

It has to make you wonder a little bit, right? It makes us wonder a whole lot, wonder why he hasn’t been awarded a golden statue for his acting efforts.

Have to be careful handing it to Pierce, though. Even though he’s barely a foot tall and weighs only 8½ pounds, the Oscar is plenty big enough to send Pierce reeling.

"I was in my position and he tried to put his leg over my position. But if you're not strong enough, you shouldn't be fighting with me. If you really can't match my strength, then why even try to pick a fight? Why even try to tussle? I was on the white line and you cannot cross my line." - Ron Artest :toast

Wheelchair had 15 points on 4-11 shooting in the Celtics loss.