PDA

View Full Version : Question about Splitter

Uriel
06-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Should Tiago choose to sign with the Spurs this summer, what number will he wear?

TD 21
06-01-2010, 07:28 PM
He said at his press conference after being drafted in '07 that he'd wear number 25.

spurs10
06-01-2010, 07:32 PM
When will know his decision to come over or not exactly?

Mel_13
06-01-2010, 07:36 PM

No earlier than the end of the Spanish League playoffs. His team is up 2-0 in a best of 5 semifinal. Game 3 is tomorrow. If they advance, I believe the finals are also best of 5.

Uriel
06-01-2010, 07:38 PM
He said at his press conference after being drafted in '07 that he'd wear number 25.

Thanks.

spurs10
06-01-2010, 07:41 PM
No earlier than the end of the Spanish League playoffs. His team is up 2-0 in a best of 5 semifinal. Game 3 is tomorrow. If they advance, I believe the finals are also best of 5.
Thanks.:toast

Dead Poet
06-01-2010, 07:45 PM
For one to know

He would need multiples of 5

He could find it by the search key

He could find it dead or alive

For life means nothing more

Than time with which it winds

For no man has won a match

A match with the sands of time

One ... two ... three, four, five

Times you multiply to unearth 25

For off I go, parting is such sweet sorrow

For each breath I've taken, past-tense, nothing left for tomorrow

No time to waste, no words left to be said

For I am Dead Poet, emphasis on dead....

Riverwalkman
06-01-2010, 07:51 PM

I think since he was drafted by Spurs in 2007, Spurs retain his rookie right whenever he is willing to play in NBA.

The reason why he did not come to US was the salary NBA teams could offer was much less than in Euro due to the limitation of Rookie salary scale, now it is 3 years from the draft day and the contract Spurs can offer turns to be of many kinds, of course MLE or partially MLE is reasonable IMO.

After the July 1st, teams can talk to FAs and then Spurs will definitely negotiate with Tiago Splitter, and then we will see if he could become a Spur.

ChuckD
06-01-2010, 09:00 PM
[bunch of blather]

Fail troll fails spectacularly

tdunk21
06-01-2010, 09:10 PM

if he wins the finals over there ....will it by anyway alter his reputation......

Mel_13
06-01-2010, 09:17 PM
if he wins the finals over there ....will it by anyway alter his reputation......

He's already been named the league MVP, so he's already held in very high regard over there. I don't think the offers he may receive will be much affected if his team wins it all.

On that note, beating Barcelona in the finals would be quite an upset. They have already won the Euroleague championship and have a ridiculous record in combined play (something like 59-5).

spurs10
06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
It's gonna be a long, interesting summer.

Dead Poet
06-01-2010, 10:24 PM

A man's breath since ceased

A mind wanders while delayed

Ripped from a life and a one's family

But pop culture never fades

For when Public Enemy graced the stage

Chuck, Flav and the Professor changed the game

Bringing politically-driven music

A sense of purpose never never to be tamed

Men who fly the flag of PE or use the likeness of their names

Need to know their limitations

Overreaching defiles a legacy just the same

The sand has fallen to completion

The glass now bottom-filled

An energy that had birthed a spirit wanes

A days fate has been sealed

The words leave the canvas

Only a spirit left in its stead

The man they call Dead Poet

The emphasis on dead....

eisfeld
06-01-2010, 11:20 PM

For when Public Enemy graced the stage

At least use some kind of rhyme scheme, otherwise it sounds just terrible.

TIMMYD!
06-01-2010, 11:48 PM

At least we know why Dead Poet is dead.

Blackjack
06-02-2010, 12:13 AM
At least use some kind of rhyme scheme, otherwise it sounds just terrible.

Actually, it does have a scheme and flow quite well. It's every other bar from the second line.

I ain't fuckin' with no ghost. :downspin:

eisfeld
06-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Actually, it does have a scheme and flow quite well. It's every other bar from the second line.

I ain't fuckin' with no ghost. :downspin:

On the phonetic level it's definitely okay.
Regarding the rhyme scheme it's clearly not okay. Since when does delayed rhyme with never fades? At least not in a classical rhyme scheme.

elgato21
06-02-2010, 06:43 AM
In the Brazil national team he wears #15, before went to Caja Laboral he wears #15 too...

urunobili
06-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Chau Bonner... Splitter #15

jermaine
06-02-2010, 10:29 AM
How does one go about seeing this fool play? I really need to see what's all the fus about. Is he on Scolas level or better?

Mel_13
06-02-2010, 10:38 AM
How does one go about seeing this fool play? I really need to see what's all the fus about. Is he on Scolas level or better?

http://acb.com/

Homepage for the Spanish League. On the right side of the page, you will see a box that says ORANGE 360. Right now, you can click the buttons next to the Caja Laboral-Real Madrid games and see Games 1 and 2 of the semifinals. Splitter is #21 in white.

At 1:30 CT today, a button labeled "en juego" will appear next to the last game listed. Click on that to watch Game 3 live.

jermaine
06-02-2010, 11:02 AM
http://acb.com/

Homepage for the Spanish League. On the right side of the page, you will see a box that says ORANGE 360. Right now, you can click the buttons next to the Caja Laboral-Real Madrid games and see Games 1 and 2 of the semifinals. Splitter is #21 in white.

At 1:30 CT today, a button labeled "en juego" will appear next to the last game listed. Click on that to watch Game 3 live.

Thanks a milli.

Solid D
06-02-2010, 11:05 AM
The real number to be concerned about, however, is the $ number. If it is true that someone like, say, Real would be able to pay Splitter $8-10M Euros ($9.7M - 12.2M USD), then the Spurs would be hard-pressed to compete.

cantthinkofanything
06-02-2010, 11:06 AM
For one to know

He would need multiples of 5

He could find it by the search key

He could find it dead or alive

For life means nothing more

Than time with which it winds

For no man has won a match

A match with the sands of time

One ... two ... three, four, five

Times you multiply to unearth 25

For off I go, parting is such sweet sorrow

For each breath I've taken, past-tense, nothing left for tomorrow

No time to waste, no words left to be said

For I am Dead Poet, emphasis on dead....

This is dumb. You don't even mention how bad Bonner and Mason suck.

Dead Poet
06-02-2010, 12:25 PM
An energy brings forth the spirit of a man

A spirit who makes his presence felt, for those that never had

The means to open a book or discover artistry

eisfeld, know the name Dead Poet: licensed poetically

Austiran born or bred

He knows not what he says

For Schwarzenegger brought him warmth

While California's finances bled

Thou bid you adieu

As thou hope to do the same

Of a certain Spurs forward

Whose hair's been set ablaze

And on his way out that door

That he might take a friend

A man know as a Mason

Owner of a tarantula-breeding head

The energy now fading from the fore

This poet recedes to the under

Six-feet below thou can't ignore

Remember thy name and this time

Remember the words of the Dead

Poet, that is

The emphasis on dead...

Gagnrath
06-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I thought your rookie contracts didn't count toward the luxury tax and salary cap. How can the spurs since they are no longer bound to pay him rookie scale, restricted in offering him matching money?

Blackjack
06-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Rookie contracts count towards the cap just the same as anything else. But first-round draft picks have a certain salary-scale they have to abide by, with the exception if you're three-years removed from your draft class. That exception allows you to pay as much as the MLE to obtain a player's services.

Splitter wasn't going to come over when he was getting paid significantly more money than he would've had he come prior to being three-years removed but with the economy the way it is in Europe and the bulk of the MLE now available to him, it finally makes sense financially for him to come over.

Whether he does or not, we'll have to wait and see.

Mel_13
06-02-2010, 12:47 PM
I thought your rookie contracts didn't count toward the luxury tax and salary cap. How can the spurs since they are no longer bound to pay him rookie scale, restricted in offering him matching money?

Rookie scale contracts count towards the cap and the tax.

The maximum possible contract that the Spurs can offer Splitter is the full MLE. Any contract he signs will count towards the cap and the tax.

Edit: too slow

Blackjack
06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Young Skywalker learns well. :smokin

Mel_13
06-02-2010, 12:51 PM
The Force is strong with that one.

Blackjack
06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
:lol

Mel_13
06-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Link for Game 3 between Caja Laboral and Real Madrid. Scheduled to begin in about 30 minutes.

http://acb360.orange.es/partidos/LACB/54/324

Gagnrath
06-02-2010, 01:30 PM
I could have sworn you were allowed to sign your draft picks to their rookie contracts even if you were over the cap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap#Rookie_exception

Solid D
06-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Rookie contracts count towards the cap just the same as anything else. But first-round draft picks have a certain salary-scale they have to abide by, with the exception if you're three-years removed from your draft class. That exception allows you to pay as much as the MLE to obtain a player's services.

Splitter wasn't going to come over when he was getting paid significantly more money than he would've had he come prior to being three-years removed but with the economy the way it is in Europe and the bulk of the MLE now available to him, it finally makes sense financially for him to come over.

Whether he does or not, we'll have to wait and see.

Which brings us back to whether some team such as Real really would offer Splitter 8-10M Euros ($10-12M US) per year, as was rumored.

Muser
06-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Link for Game 3 between Caja Laboral and Real Madrid. Scheduled to begin in about 30 minutes.

http://acb360.orange.es/partidos/LACB/54/324

Thanks for the link. :toast

cantthinkofanything
06-02-2010, 02:49 PM
An energy brings forth the spirit of a man

A spirit who makes his presence felt, for those that never had

The means to open a book or discover artistry

eisfeld, know the name Dead Poet: licensed poetically

Austiran born or bred

He knows not what he says

For Schwarzenegger brought him warmth

While California's finances bled

Thou bid you adieu

As thou hope to do the same

Of a certain Spurs forward

Whose hair's been set ablaze

And on his way out that door

That he might take a friend

A man know as a Mason

Owner of a tarantula-breeding head

The energy now fading from the fore

This poet recedes to the under

Six-feet below thou can't ignore

Remember thy name and this time

Remember the words of the Dead

Poet, that is

The emphasis on dead...

It's better. It still needs a couple of lines about why they are leaving. If I'm an outsider reading this, I'm wondering why did the fire head and spider head leave. It seems like someone with either fire head or spider head would be a good ally. Maybe you could say something like the spiders were controlled by evil forces and screwed up his depth perception or something. And that the heat of the fire burned up Bonner's desire. Or something.

Blackjack
06-02-2010, 02:55 PM
:lol

cantthinkofanything
06-02-2010, 03:20 PM
So I decided to to it myself and ended up with this...

I awoke one day to realize
The Sun burned out my hope’s black eyes
Form north of the border a warrior came
Banished my friends to a season of shame

Looking forward, looking past
Always next year, one more chance
Change abounds, necessitates
To avoid another defeating fate

I shout, I shout WHAT IS THE POINT?
To keep spider head DID YOU SMOKE A JOINT?
What about the red haired one?
Be gone be gone it would be no fun

Who shale come and take their place?
Please let it be some with blackened face
Someone that it keen of eye
Swift of foot and will not cry

From across the sea, a sound arose
From Euro league wearing panty hose
Is this the savior, what can he bring?
Answer the door, DINGALINGALINGALING

Then I realized that this was a sorry effort and I should have spent the time working.

Solid D
06-02-2010, 03:31 PM
So I decided to to it myself and ended up with this...

I awoke one day to realize
The Sun burned out my hope’s black eyes
Form north of the border a warrior came
Banished my friends to a season of shame

Looking forward, looking past
Always next year, one more chance
Change abounds, necessitates
To avoid another defeating fate

I shout, I shout WHAT IS THE POINT?
To keep spider head DID YOU SMOKE A JOINT?
What about the red haired one?
Be gone be gone it would be no fun

Who shale come and take their place?
Please let it be some with blackened face
Someone that it keen of eye
Swift of foot and will not cry

From across the sea, a sound arose
From Euro league wearing panty hose
Is this the savior, what can he bring?
Answer the door, DINGALINGALINGALING

Then I realized that this was a sorry effort and I should have spent the time working.

:rollin

ChuckD
06-02-2010, 07:14 PM

You thought wrong. If you're under the cap, they count against both. If you're over, you get an exception to sign the player, but he still counts on your payroll for the tax.

Consider Splitter to be a FA that we have exclusive access to for signage purposes. We can use only cap room (we have none) or exceptions to sign him. That means we top out at the MLE.

Uriel
06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
The real number to be concerned about, however, is the $ number. If it is true that someone like, say, Real would be able to pay Splitter $8-10M Euros ($9.7M - 12.2M USD), then the Spurs would be hard-pressed to compete.

If you're referring to the rumor posted here (http://www.talkbasket.net/blogs/real-madrid-is-preparing-a-big-summer-3043.html), then Bruno has already pointed out here (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4365251&postcount=3) that the source is unreliable. Even Tim Varner has retracted it in his blog post here (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/05/21/the-splitter-situation-is-still-uncertain/#more-8448). In actuality, Real Madrid's offer, should they actually make one, will be well below those numbers indicated in your post. As such, there's plenty of reason to be optimistic about Splitter coming to the Spurs. They can offer him more money, and they can entice him with the prospect of playing in the world's best basketball league, something I believe Splitter will be hard pressed to pass up.

By the way, speaking of numbers, what number do you think Splitter will be drafted if he had been in the NBA draft this year instead of in 2007 and if his contract wasn't an issue? That is, he's amenable to signing a rookie scale contract and his buyout with Caja Laboral wouldn't be an issue.

TD 21
06-02-2010, 10:27 PM
If you're referring to the rumor posted here (http://www.talkbasket.net/blogs/real-madrid-is-preparing-a-big-summer-3043.html), then Bruno has already pointed out here (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4365251&postcount=3) that the source is unreliable. Even Tim Varner has retracted it in his blog post here (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/05/21/the-splitter-situation-is-still-uncertain/#more-8448). In actuality, Real Madrid's offer, should they actually make one, will be well below those numbers indicated in your post. As such, there's plenty of reason to be optimistic about Splitter coming to the Spurs. They can offer him more money, and they can entice him with the prospect of playing in the world's best basketball league, something I believe Splitter will be hard pressed to pass up.

By the way, speaking of numbers, what number do you think Splitter will be drafted if he had been in the NBA draft this year instead of in 2007 and if his contract wasn't an issue? That is, he's amenable to signing a rookie scale contract and his buyout with Caja Laboral wouldn't be an issue.

We're sure that the Spurs can offer him more money than Real Madrid? I haven't heard this confirmed, only that the supposed Real Madrid offer is false.

He'd be top ten, maybe even as high as sixth.

Having seen him play some, he reminds me of Duncan (at least when he was younger), in the sense that he's underrated athletically. Not a freak athlete by any stretch of the imagination, but he moves fairly well and he's got reasonable spring in his legs. He's not just some big stiff. Offensively, he reminds me some of Jamison, with his array of unorthodox shots, though his come more with his back to the basket than Jamison's, who takes most of his on dribble drives.

Solid D
06-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Yeah, I wasn't saying it actually was true, although I did not see the retraction post.
If it is true that someone like, say, Real would be able to pay Splitter $8-10M Euros ($9.7M - 12.2M USD), then the Spurs would be hard-pressed to compete.

However, if some team like Real were to come up with big boy money like that, particularly if it had more than a year or two involved, it would be a tough match for the Spurs.

In response to your question about Splitter's draft position, I think he would be top 3, especially with his recent play. Wall and Turner would still be top picks due to their amazing upside and skill.

TD 21
06-02-2010, 10:49 PM
In response to your question about Splitter's draft position, I think he would be top 3, especially with his recent play. Wall and Turner would still be top picks due to their amazing upside and skill.

What about the fact that he's 25, wouldn't that hurt him? We're not talking about where does he rank as a player, but rather where he would be drafted. Teams are obsessed youth, upside and athleticism, particularly that high in the draft. I can't see him going ahead of Favors. After that, now that I think about it, I could see him going as high as fourth, because of all the question marks and red flags surrounding Cousins. I'm going to revise what I said and say somewhere between fourth-sixth.

Solid D
06-02-2010, 11:00 PM
BTW, I wasn't really very high on Splitter prior to this year because I felt like he wasn't playing up to his highly publicized potential. He seemed to lack the toughness and the ability to really step up in crunch time. I still don't believe his is a true go-to player and he would get pushed around by players with a big, strong base. I do believe he has really developed his footwork, screening skills and court savvy.

Solid D
06-02-2010, 11:04 PM
What about the fact that he's 25, wouldn't that hurt him? We're not talking about where does he rank as a player, but rather where he would be drafted. Teams are obsessed youth, upside and athleticism, particularly that high in the draft. I can't see him going ahead of Favors. After that, now that I think about it, I could see him going as high as fourth, because of all the question marks and red flags surrounding Cousins. I'm going to revise what I said and say somewhere between fourth-sixth.

25 is young enough, especially when getting a player with so much experience. He is more of a known talent, with maturity to boot.

TD 21
06-02-2010, 11:08 PM
That's fine, because the Spurs don't need him to be anything close to a go-to player. Basically, they need him to be a legit number two big and a partner for Duncan. Something similar to Perkins (I'm aware they're vastly different players).

You think he's developed his screening skills? Because watching him, that's what stood out most to me, was how poor a screener he is. He's Nowitzkiesque in this regard.

As for him getting pushed around by players with a big, strong base, I don't see that as much of a concern. Assuming he starts and primarily plays next to Duncan, he'll guard mostly mobile PF's. Not that their aren't strong PF's. Guys like Randolph and Boozer come to mind, but I'd imagine Splitter's length would give them problems.

Solid D
06-02-2010, 11:16 PM
You think he's developed his screening skills

Yes, his hand-work and how smoothly and quickly he moves with his rescreens and his rolls to the basket.

TD 21
06-02-2010, 11:20 PM
He's definitely a good roll man, but from what I've seen he doesn't set sturdy screens, particularly those of the weak side variety.

As for his draft position, like I said, being a more proven player is often seen as a detriment and that's just for guys who are 22; he's 25. I think that and the fact that he's not overly athletic or strong would put him behind Favors for sure.

Solid D
06-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Naturally, Splitter would not be, just now, entering the NBA draft with the current rules and in today's NBA. You don't see older guys going early period nowadays. Having a proven, experienced player signing at the Rookie scale with no buy-out, as the scenario was presented by Uriel, would be highly attractive to most teams.

Rappin' Pop
06-03-2010, 04:04 AM
Rapping about Splitter, going full steam ahead. Lets go Spurstalk!
What does Spurstalk do? They suck and blow Splitter's cock.
Of course they can't say Tiago sucks.
They would sound as stupid as ducks.
What am I here for, to give you a heads up.
To be signing him, we are on the cusp.
Wait, what did I just say? I change my mind.
But, Spurstalk, ain't Splitter such a good find?
I am trading him to the Rockets for David Anderson.
Not to the Cavs for that Piece of Shit JJ Hickson.
Why, Spurstalk you ask.
Because R.C Buford is the one at task.
He will trade Splitter away cause his game doesn't mesh.
Now, I feel like giving him a birthday bash!
Stopping and thinking about it.
The Rockets will make out like a bandit.
This does remind me of a man called Luis Scola.
Now I sound like a bastard called lakaluva.
Man, this is my longest hardcore rap.
If I were Shaq, I would feel like I ran a thousand laps.

See ya later Spurs fans, tell me how my ass taste.

cantthinkofanything
06-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Rapping about Splitter, going full steam ahead. Lets go Spurstalk!
What does Spurstalk do? They suck and blow Splitter's cock.
Of course they can't say Tiago sucks.
They would sound as stupid as ducks.
What am I here for, to give you a heads up.
To be signing him, we are on the cusp.
Wait, what did I just say? I change my mind.
But, Spurstalk, ain't Splitter such a good find?
I am trading him to the Rockets for David Anderson.
Not to the Cavs for that Piece of Shit JJ Hickson.
Why, Spurstalk you ask.
Because R.C Buford is the one at task.
He will trade Splitter away cause his game doesn't mesh.
Now, I feel like giving him a birthday bash!
Stopping and thinking about it.
The Rockets will make out like a bandit.
This does remind me of a man called Luis Scola.
Now I sound like a bastard called lakaluva.
Man, this is my longest hardcore rap.
If I were Shaq, I would feel like I ran a thousand laps.

See ya later Spurs fans, tell me how my ass taste.

This is horrible. Maybe it's because it's out of musical context. You should record this with a drum machine and then post the audio. Or video if you have something worked out. On it's own, it just reads crazy.

BackHome
06-03-2010, 01:06 PM

Tim actually did an interview after those number were thrown around in his atricle in which he said he made a mistake in making that comment in that it came from a fan and not from anyone in the organization or a credible source...He said he screwed up..

Spain and the Euro are going to be going down fast and furious. Spain is probably going to have the biggest housing bubble burst ever seen in the free world. And we all know what happens after that.................

hater
06-03-2010, 01:22 PM
thank God for the Spanish economic meltdown.

Cane
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Tim actually did an interview after those number were thrown around in his atricle in which he said he made a mistake in making that comment in that it came from a fan and not from anyone in the organization or a credible source...He said he screwed up..

Yea on the 40MoH podcast he said it was a website's fan-post and didn't know beforehand. With my tinfoil hat on I want to say it was KBP trolling...

FilSpursFan
06-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Which brings us back to whether some team such as Real really would offer Splitter 8-10M Euros ($10-12M US) per year, as was rumored.

Sigh! Maybe this could become another Scola..:depressed:depressed

Mel_13
06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Link for Game 4, starts in about 20 minutes:

http://acb360.orange.es/partidos/LACB/54/326