PDA

View Full Version : AT&T caps data usage with new wireless plans

mrsmaalox
06-02-2010, 10:52 AM
AT&T caps data usage with new wireless plans

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/AT-T-caps-data-usage-with-new-wireless-plans/GdJab209eUu-kX0rbPmaig.cspx?rss=68

NEW YORK (AP) — In time for the widely expected launch of a new iPhone model, AT&T Inc. is pulling in the reins on data usage by its customers with smart phones and iPads.

The sole U.S. carrier of the iPhone is introducing two new data plans, starting June 7, with limits on data consumption. They'll replace the $30-per-month plan with unlimited usage that it has required for all smart phones, including the iPhone.

One new plan will cost $25 per month and offer 2 gigabytes of data per month, which AT&T says will be enough for 98 percent of its smart phone customers.

A second plan will cost $15 per month for 200 megabytes of data, which AT&T says is enough for 65 percent of its smart phone customers.

leemajors
06-02-2010, 10:59 AM
i believe if you already have the $30 plan you can stick with it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/atandt-makes-sweeping-changes-to-data-plans-iphone-tethering-comi/

CubanMustGo
06-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Yep, it's only new ppl who get screwed. And with 2+M units already being sold there are going to be a lot of new people following them getting hit.

I can only imagine how slow AT&T already poky network is in areas where there are lots of iPads sucking down data.

The only surprise about this deal is that it took AT&T this long to come up with it.

CosmicCowboy
06-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Glad I have my $30 plan already.

bus driver
06-02-2010, 11:50 AM
i have the 30 plan but only using the internet about $10 worth in a month

TDMVPDPOY
06-02-2010, 12:05 PM
this is why i hate this sort of bs, in asia most of these plans are unlimited and cheap

CosmicCowboy
06-02-2010, 12:15 PM

Yeah, I'm probably not getting full use of my plan now but historically the new applications will continue to get bigger, better, and eat more bandwidth. Who knows how much bandwidth we will need/want in 5 years?

TheMACHINE
06-02-2010, 12:26 PM
2gb is good for 98% of its users?....too bad i cant figure out how much is 2gb in terms of smart phones. lol

mrsmaalox
06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I know I'm not using 200 megabytes worth. I was at a time thinking I'd be interested in using my iphone for tethering. But they are still going to clip extra for that and realistically, a year later, I can't think of a situation where I would've needed it.

So CC, what kind of service to you get out there in the Marathon area? There's a huge dead area between Ft. Stockton and Van Horn, but I don't know how far that extends. I hear the actual Big Bend area is covered quite nicely. The Basin has wi-fi :) I would assume it's mostly because of law enforcement.

mrsmaalox
06-02-2010, 12:56 PM
2gb is good for 98% of its users?....too bad i cant figure out how much is 2gb in terms of smart phones. lol

Well I'm a light user, meaning I don't use my phone for business, and my bill shows 100,003 kilobytes used.

JudynTX
06-02-2010, 12:59 PM
i believe if you already have the $30 plan you can stick with it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/atandt-makes-sweeping-changes-to-data-plans-iphone-tethering-comi/

I plan to. :tu

CosmicCowboy
06-02-2010, 01:15 PM
So CC, what kind of service to you get out there in the Marathon area? There's a huge dead area between Ft. Stockton and Van Horn, but I don't know how far that extends. I hear the actual Big Bend area is covered quite nicely. The Basin has wi-fi :) I would assume it's mostly because of law enforcement.

I never lost coverage with ATT from SA all the way to Marathon out Highway 90. Got good coverage at the ranch since it's only 6 or 7 miles from Marathon.

Bigzax
06-02-2010, 01:18 PM
zero dollar data plan with wifi phone ftw!

Cry Havoc
06-02-2010, 02:09 PM
zero dollar data plan with wifi phone ftw!

Too bad Wifi isn't available everywhere.

---

Seriously though, this move is total bullshit by AT&T. 200 megs of data is roughly 3 CDs of music. 2 Gigs is less than a full length DVD movie.

So now if you have an iPhone, a phone that basically begs you to take advantage of it's screen to buy applications and movies, you can no longer download certain types of content without monitoring what you're using? When the 4G phones are released through AT&T, you are going to be able to hit the higher $25 cap in less than 5 minutes of downloading. How stupid is this?

This makes me even more confident about switching to Sprint on Friday.

Bigzax
06-02-2010, 02:21 PM
dude, i bet att will break out the unlimited data again for the 4G...maybe 35, 40 bux a month...this is the precursor!

and wifi at work...wifi at home...i don't surf the net whilst driving...so i'm set!

what are all you people wasting your money for!

Drachen
06-02-2010, 04:38 PM
dude, i bet att will break out the unlimited data again for the 4G...maybe 35, 40 bux a month...this is the precursor!

and wifi at work...wifi at home...i don't surf the net whilst driving...so i'm set!

what are all you people wasting your money for!

The real question is why are you surfing the web on your phone at home or work? I don't surf while driving, but I do surf while away from my house.

Bigzax
06-02-2010, 04:59 PM
The real question is why are you surfing the web on your phone at home or work? I don't surf while driving, but I do surf while away from my house.

touche, mon frere!

I'm really just fucking round...people tend to have more out and about lifestyles than i do, and i cannot fault them for that!

but your are right, i got the laptop at work, sometimes i'm too lazy to lug it home with me though...so i use the phone to read news and spurstalk when the kiddo is watching cartoons or wifey is watching those damn home improvement shows...

i'm just one of those bastards that don't like paying 30 bux extra a month!

fuuuuck that shit!

Godbless you that do though!

exstatic
06-02-2010, 08:25 PM

They said this will only affect like 2% of users. If you go over, you get another 1Gb for like $10.

exstatic
06-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Too bad Wifi isn't available everywhere.

---

Seriously though, this move is total bullshit by AT&T. 200 megs of data is roughly 3 CDs of music. 2 Gigs is less than a full length DVD movie.

So now if you have an iPhone, a phone that basically begs you to take advantage of it's screen to buy applications and movies, you can no longer download certain types of content without monitoring what you're using? When the 4G phones are released through AT&T, you are going to be able to hit the higher $25 cap in less than 5 minutes of downloading. How stupid is this?

This makes me even more confident about switching to Sprint on Friday.

The $25 plan is 2Gb, not 200Mb. That's like the $15 plan, and yes, it sucks.

Nathan Explosion
06-02-2010, 08:43 PM
I have a $30 plan that has unlimited data and text bundled together. AT&T says that I have to have the $30 unlimited data plan coupled with the $20 unlimited text plan if I want a smart phone. They want to charge me $20 more to get the exact same shit I have now. Otherwise, a smart phone won't be "compatible" with my plan.

My brother has an iPhone. I threw my sim card in there and was using it without a single problem. Fuckers just want more money.

I use quite a bit of data as I like to stream music off of YouTube when I hear a song that I don't have on my phone while I'm at work. I use some bluetooth headphones and just listen to music.

I don't know if it's 2 gigs worth of data but I'm using quite a but of data every month. Part of me was thinking of going back to Sprint because I can pay the same amount I'm paying now and I can get a smart phone. The problem I have is that I hate going through the process of switching phones when I can just pull out my sim card, put it in the new phone and keep going with AT&T.

mouse
06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
soon they will limit what we eat and drink...............

PM5K
06-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Funny you'd post this. My internet is out because of the weather so I'm posting this now via tether from my iPhone.

Re-Animator
06-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Sorry but 'Mind Controll' network won't allow another creative thought from a member unless you pay your account.

Sotongball21
06-03-2010, 07:04 AM
this is why i hate this sort of bs, in asia most of these plans are unlimited and cheap

YUP! Mine is not unlimited, but i get 12gb for around US$15. :lol

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 08:01 AM
AT&T with an interesting bit of consumer relations here:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/atandt-warns-customer-that-emailing-the-ceo-will-result-in-a-cease/

AT&T warns customer that emailing the CEO will result in a cease and desist letter

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/randall-att-joker-rm-eng.jpg

Sure, Steve Jobs might be a one-man email PR machine, but his pal Randall Stephenson at AT&T doesn't appear to be quite as gregarious -- as reader Giorgio Galante found out today, sending AT&T's CEO two emails in two weeks results in a phone call from AT&T's Executive Response Team and a warning that further emails will result in a cease and desist letter. What did Giorgio's emails say? The first was a request to bump up his iPhone eligibility date and a request for a tethering option, and today's outlined his displeasure with AT&T's new data rates and ultimate decision to switch to Sprint and the EVO 4G. That prompted "Brent" to call Giorgio back and thank him for the feedback, but also politely warn him that further emails would be met with legal action. Ouch. As you'd expect, AT&T just lost itself a customer. We've followed up with Ma Bell to find out exactly why they went the lawyer route instead of oh, say, filtering Randall's email -- we'll let you know what they say.

P.S.- Amusingly, Giorgio says he emailed both Randall Stephenson and Steve Jobs last year about offering tethering and actually got a response from Steve -- maybe these two CEOs need to talk about more than data rates and service quality the next time they meet up.

Drachen
06-03-2010, 08:08 AM
I have a $30 plan that has unlimited data and text bundled together. AT&T says that I have to have the $30 unlimited data plan coupled with the $20 unlimited text plan if I want a smart phone. They want to charge me $20 more to get the exact same shit I have now. Otherwise, a smart phone won't be "compatible" with my plan.

My brother has an iPhone. I threw my sim card in there and was using it without a single problem. Fuckers just want more money.

I use quite a bit of data as I like to stream music off of YouTube when I hear a song that I don't have on my phone while I'm at work. I use some bluetooth headphones and just listen to music.

I don't know if it's 2 gigs worth of data but I'm using quite a but of data every month. Part of me was thinking of going back to Sprint because I can pay the same amount I'm paying now and I can get a smart phone. The problem I have is that I hate going through the process of switching phones when I can just pull out my sim card, put it in the new phone and keep going with AT&T.

This is what I am digging about Android. If I get a new phone, I just power it up, log into my gmail account, and all my contacts are there. Though, I think I see what you are saying. You can go get a phone and don't have to get it activated or anything, just move sim cards.. right??

SourCandy
06-03-2010, 08:20 AM
I don't care for the iphone. I don't need it. I will also go out on a limb and say a lot of the people who have it don't need it either. More like "I got an iphone" horrrrayy!

leemajors
06-03-2010, 08:46 AM
I use 3g to surf the internet quite a bit, but I checked my usage this morning and I'm at 150MB with 10 days left in the billing cycle.

Cry Havoc
06-03-2010, 08:46 AM
The $25 plan is 2Gb, not 200Mb. That's like the $15 plan, and yes, it sucks.

I'm aware. If you'll notice, I said the "higher" of two data plans in my initial post. My point was the 200 mb isn't even enough for people who download music, and the 2 GB isn't enough for any serious smartphone user who wants to take advantage of the new technology.

This pretty much puts the nail in the coffin in the iPhone vs. Android debate. It's over. iPhone loses. They had better find another carrier, and quickly.

leemajors
06-03-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm aware. If you'll notice, I said the "higher" of two data plans in my initial post. My point was the 200 mb isn't even enough for people who download music, and the 2 GB isn't enough for any serious smartphone user who wants to take advantage of the new technology.

This pretty much puts the nail in the coffin in the iPhone vs. Android debate. It's over. iPhone loses. They had better find another carrier, and quickly.

Every carrier is gonna end up doing this.

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Sprint has no limits on their 4G use, and my understanding is that when Verizon and AT&T go from 3G to LTE there probably won't be limitations either (or the limitations will be significantly increased).

Cry Havoc
06-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Every carrier is gonna end up doing this.

Don't bet on it. Why would you bring a high-bandwidth service to clients and then cap it at ~5 minutes of downloading? It makes no sense to waste the money to install the new towers if you aren't going to utilize them.

Sprint has been unlimited for a long time and will likely continue to be. Verizon will as well, most likely.

This bandwidth cap is absolutely ridiculous. Why do you need to cap a service if 98% of your demographic is using less than the cap? I mean, if 98 out of every 100 people you have is under the cap assigned, why cap it at all?

leemajors
06-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Don't bet on it. Why would you bring a high-bandwidth service to clients and then cap it at ~5 minutes of downloading? It makes no sense to waste the money to install the new towers if you aren't going to utilize them.

Sprint has been unlimited for a long time and will likely continue to be. Verizon will as well, most likely.

This bandwidth cap is absolutely ridiculous. Why do you need to cap a service if 98% of your demographic is using less than the cap? I mean, if 98 out of every 100 people you have is under the cap assigned, why cap it at all?

All ISPs are moving towards it if they haven't. TWC backed off "for more study" because of outrage by their customers, but it's still coming. Sprint is probably unlimited because they do anything and everything to lure all the millions of customers they lose every quarter back. I wouldn't be shocked if they introduced soft caps like Comcast in the future. Any bandwidth provider is always looking to nickel and dime where they can.

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 10:33 AM
With Sprint's EVO/4G plan, 3G is capped at 5 GB/month.

Like I said, this may be less of an issue when everyone goes to the higer-speed networks, but someone else with a better technical background will have to confirm.

leemajors
06-03-2010, 10:46 AM

Like I said, this may be less of an issue when everyone goes to the higer-speed networks, but someone else with a better technical background will have to confirm.

With their 4G coverage apparently quite limited (especially inside of buildings, the signal has a much harder time going through walls apparently) I am surprised there isn't more attention being brought to this. The MiFi hotspot is itself another $30 monthly, isn't it?

Nathan Explosion
06-04-2010, 10:45 AM
I would be angry but I've never used more than 55 mb of data in a given month. I still think it sucks though, but oh well.

Cry Havoc
06-04-2010, 08:49 PM

Um. This is completely false. I have unlimited 3g and 4g with my Evo 4g. So does everyone else. You are confusing a Sprint mobile broadband plan with their phone plans. 3g is unlimited with Sprint.

LOVING this phone so far. Using it to respond to spurstalk. I can type so ridiculously fast on this keyboard.

Sisk
06-04-2010, 09:14 PM
soon they will limit what we eat and drink...............

A lot of Americans could use a ton of that...

ShoogarBear
06-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Um. This is completely false. I have unlimited 3g and 4g with my Evo 4g. So does everyone else. You are confusing a Sprint mobile broadband plan with their phone plans. 3g is unlimited with Sprint.

I guess so.

LOVING this phone so far. Using it to respond to spurstalk. I can type so ridiculously fast on this keyboard.
Keyboard is tolerable for me. I can login and read ST but not post on it for some reason.

Cry Havoc
06-05-2010, 12:34 AM
I guess so.

Keyboard is tolerable for me. I can login and read ST but not post on it for some reason.

Really??? That's bizarre. I loooooove this keyboard. Although I'm not sure the haptic feedback adds much to the phone.

Fpoonsie
06-05-2010, 12:35 AM
[frustrated, impatient sigh]

Still charging mine, ya bunch a' assholes.

Cry Havoc
06-05-2010, 09:04 AM
[frustrated, impatient sigh]

Still charging mine, ya bunch a' assholes.

:lol

mookie2001
06-05-2010, 10:26 AM
what does "no packet data" mean?

mookie2001
06-05-2010, 10:28 AM
"packet data not available"

keep getting that stuff when i try to connect to 3g now

ShoogarBear
06-05-2010, 10:40 AM
It means your transformation to neocon is now complete.

mookie2001
06-05-2010, 10:42 AM
yeah right youre the one with all the OnStar* threads

SourCandy
06-07-2010, 09:13 PM

how much you pay a month? is it true it's slower indoors?

scott
06-07-2010, 10:46 PM

I checked my usage - and I'm on my iPhone using data intensive apps ALL THE TIME - and I haven't gone over 200 MB on a single phone in the 2+ years I've had 2 iPhones, both attached to my Exchange Server downloading 50-150 messages/day.

I attribute this to the fact I'm in WiFi zones a lot, and thus aren't using the carrier. I'll probably switch to 200 MB on one phone, 2 GB on the other for now.

Cry Havoc
06-07-2010, 11:29 PM
I checked my usage - and I'm on my iPhone using data intensive apps ALL THE TIME - and I haven't gone over 200 MB on a single phone in the 2+ years I've had 2 iPhones, both attached to my Exchange Server downloading 50-150 messages/day.

I attribute this to the fact I'm in WiFi zones a lot, and thus aren't using the carrier. I'll probably switch to 200 MB on one phone, 2 GB on the other for now.

Then you aren't using data intensive apps, as that's a very relative definition. Ive hit over 2 gigs in a day. No joke. The point is that every day, more and more apps and programs are using huge amounts of data. Today, it might be tough for the average person to go over that... what about in a year? It's easy to say that's its no big deal, but AT&T is doing this to make money. Meaning they intend people to top the cap.

What I don't understand is how some people actually defend this policy... as if at&t would be completely honest in order to save it's customers money. Does that sound like a successful business model to anyone? They're doing this for a fairly obvious reason.

scott
06-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Then you aren't using data intensive apps, as that's a very relative definition. Ive hit over 2 gigs in a day. No joke. The point is that every day, more and more apps and programs are using huge amounts of data. Today, it might be tough for the average person to go over that... what about in a year? It's easy to say that's its no big deal, but AT&T is doing this to make money. Meaning they intend people to top the cap.

What I don't understand is how some people actually defend this policy... as if at&t would be completely honest in order to save it's customers money. Does that sound like a successful business model to anyone? They're doing this for a fairly obvious reason.

Since everyone who has an unlimited data plan can keep it - and those who want to downgrade can do so and save money - sounds like there are potential wins for customers. Sure AT&T wins in the long run - but that's their job.

What apps are you using that you use 2GB in a day? Jeez.

Spurminator
06-08-2010, 02:22 PM

It seems like a way to control cost of sales and SAVE money rather than generate more revenue. Tomato/tomahto maybe, but I agree with scott... anyone who doesn't use more than 200mb (most people) will now save money.

And I agree that apps are getting more advanced and will likely require more data usage over time, but more Wifi zones are popping up with time as well. Eventually they'll be everywhere and it won't matter, unless you really need to download a movie in the middle of the desert or something.

Sir Loin
06-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I rarley use the 3g to surf anyway its too slow compared to wifi. But im glad its there when i need it. Ive never used more than 30 mb but now i will gladly use it way more for others who wont have the unlimited

Cry Havoc
06-08-2010, 09:59 PM
It seems like a way to control cost of sales and SAVE money rather than generate more revenue. Tomato/tomahto maybe, but I agree with scott... anyone who doesn't use more than 200mb (most people) will now save money.

And I agree that apps are getting more advanced and will likely require more data usage over time, but more Wifi zones are popping up with time as well. Eventually they'll be everywhere and it won't matter, unless you really need to download a movie in the middle of the desert or something.

4G will take over before wifi does. And 5G will likely be far more desirable than most wifi connections... in fact the higher end of 4G is faster than most wifi is now.. So the days of Wifi actually might start decreasing. I remember in the early 2000s it was predicted that entire cities would be wifi by now... it hasn't come close to happening, and in many places it costs money.

Cry Havoc
06-08-2010, 10:07 PM
What apps are you using that you use 2GB in a day? Jeez.

I tether. Enough said. And it's something that will be more and more prevalent in the future.

I question how people can think that "200 mb" is enough for most people because they don't use much data, when in fact surfing the internet on a phone hasn't even really been realistic until the iPhone 3GS came along.

The age of truly surfing on a mobile device is only now upon us... and everyone thinks 200 mb is enough because it's been that way in the past.

I have news for you... computers today need more than 640k of RAM, fellas. It's baffling to me that people still look to the past as a baseline of what technology will be like tomorrow.

640k wasn't enough RAM, 1 GB wasn't enough hard drive. 200 mb will NOT be enough data, and neither will 2 GB. This isn't something I even think is debatable. It just seems so right now because people are just getting their hands on phones that can actually surf the web in a modest fashion.

Sir Loin
06-09-2010, 12:57 AM
How do you tether are you jailbroken?

PM5K
06-09-2010, 03:00 AM
640k wasn't enough RAM

You totally stole my line.

Cry Havoc
06-09-2010, 08:33 AM
How do you tether are you jailbroken?

As any self-respecting IT guy should be, yes, I'm jailbroken. The iPhone is kind of a joke without jailbreaking, compared to what it can do when it's not wrapped up in Steve's straight-jacket of love.

You totally stole my line.

:tu Gotta be quick on the draw 'round these parts.

Drachen
06-09-2010, 09:01 AM
I think that it is fairly naive to think that the whole purpose of this may be to make their 4g network more attractive to all when it is introduced. When is it supposed to come out? A year or so? Perhaps they are investing heavily in the 4g network, and it will be good. Maybe they want people to jump the 3g ship as soon as 4g is introduced (due to their notoriously bad 3g service, and their [probably] lack of desire to invest much more in their 3g network since 4g is on the way). They can do this by creating a few incentives:
1. speed, this incentive is built in. 4g is obviously faster than 3g.
2. Unlimited data plans, maybe they offer this for $40 a month (completely made up number, but who knows) for their 4g service.

This time next year, no one will remember that they introduced these data caps, and will allow themselves to be convinced to go to the 4g network. If At&t decided to introduce their unlimited 4g network, and issue data caps all on the same day, I think that the public perception would be that they are now being forced into 4g and that "forced" feeling would cause ill will.

By all accounts this is a money losing move by At&t, and since companies aren't in business to lose money you have to run through the reasons as to why they would do it. For me it comes down to behavior modification (like what I described above) or attracting a higher volume of customers with a lower profit margin. I think the latter is unlikely as they are cutting their data prices far too much (half price for 57-65% (depending on whose estimates you are looking at) of their customers? 17% off for the remaining customers up to the top 2%?).

What do yall think?
BTW this is all conjecture, I have no knowledge of the amounts they are spending on what. Just a hypothesis of mine.

Cry Havoc
06-09-2010, 09:10 AM
I think that it is fairly naive to think that the whole purpose of this may be to make their 4g network more attractive to all when it is introduced. When is it supposed to come out? A year or so? Perhaps they are investing heavily in the 4g network, and it will be good. Maybe they want people to jump the 3g ship as soon as 4g is introduced (due to their notoriously bad 3g service, and their [probably] lack of desire to invest much more in their 3g network since 4g is on the way). They can do this by creating a few incentives:
1. speed, this incentive is built in. 4g is obviously faster than 3g.
2. Unlimited data plans, maybe they offer this for $40 a month (completely made up number, but who knows) for their 4g service.

This time next year, no one will remember that they introduced these data caps, and will allow themselves to be convinced to go to the 4g network. If At&t decided to introduce their unlimited 4g network, and issue data caps all on the same day, I think that the public perception would be that they are now being forced into 4g and that "forced" feeling would cause ill will.

By all accounts this is a money losing move by At&t, and since companies aren't in business to lose money you have to run through the reasons as to why they would do it. For me it comes down to behavior modification (like what I described above) or attracting a higher volume of customers with a lower profit margin. I think the latter is unlikely as they are cutting their data prices far too much (half price for 57-65% (depending on whose estimates you are looking at) of their customers? 17% off for the remaining customers up to the top 2%?).

What do yall think?
BTW this is all conjecture, I have no knowledge of the amounts they are spending on what. Just a hypothesis of mine.

Or they could have completely fudged the statistics about usage.

OR they know that in the future, a 200mb cap is going to net them a sizable return in overage fees.

DarkReign
06-09-2010, 09:17 AM
LOL

I just checked my iPhone usage. I have owned it for a year+ and have never reset the usage.

950MB Received
75MB Sent

Drachen
06-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Or they could have completely fudged the statistics about usage.

OR they know that in the future, a 200mb cap is going to net them a sizable return in overage fees.

Point A: A third party, Consumer Reports, verified their stats
Point B: 200 mb cap on 3g. By the time the "low end" users go over the cap, 4g will probably be very prevalent, and even then, they have a 2 GB plan for 17% less that they will have a hard time catching up to.

My only other explanation for this would be that they are trying to set some sort of precident for capped 4g. This would kill their bottom line, though as droves and droves of customers leave.

Cry Havoc
06-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Point A: A third party, Consumer Reports, verified their stats
Point B: 200 mb cap on 3g. By the time the "low end" users go over the cap, 4g will probably be very prevalent, and even then, they have a 2 GB plan for 17% less that they will have a hard time catching up to.

My only other explanation for this would be that they are trying to set some sort of precident for capped 4g. This would kill their bottom line, though as droves and droves of customers leave.

My main concern is that this sets a bad precedent. I refuse to believe AT&T is doing this to save their customer's money. If most users are under the 200mb and almost all of them are under the 2 GB mark, why is it even a problem for AT&T? Why do they need to regulate it if most people are only using 50mb of data a month?

Cry Havoc
06-09-2010, 12:02 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-levy/iphone-4-now-with-price-g_b_604480.html

Update: Karl Bode and Stacey Higginbotham describe how AT&T made its change in pricing precisely because of the new iPhone's use of more data; users think twice before downloading a video, but get charged an arm and a leg once they do.

Yay, the iPhone 4 is here. But today, instead of thinking about the latest version of the game-changing smartphone, I'm mourning the end of the era of the unlimited data plan.

Last week AT&T announced a new tiered pricing model for data services for Apple's iPhone and iPad devices, which charges users $15 for 200 MB of data and $25 for 2 GB, plus an additional charge for tethering (more on that in a bit). While some think the new model will ultimately be good for consumers, others disagree. David Pogue, while having issues about the tethering, thinks the scheme is a "very delicate balancing act that benefits almost everyone, customers and AT&T alike."

We — like many others — respectfully disagree.

AT&T's argument for its new scheme is that while 98 percent of iPhone users use 2GB or less of data a month, the consumption of the remaining 2 percent is buckling its network. So with the launch of the iPhone 4, the 98 percent of folks who are just average data users can now choose cheaper plans, based on their level of usage, and save some money while they're at it. So what's not to like?

As it turns out, there's more than you'd think. Free Press', Chris Riley has already pointed out that beneath the appearance of lower prices lies the gouging of consumers and the stifling of innovation.

Here's how AT&T's plan really works:

* Punitive overage charges. The "DataPlus" plan offers 200 MB of data for $15 a month. If you go over this amount — easily possible if you stream a lot of music and video — you'll be charged another $15 per additional 200 MB. The "DataPro" plan offers 2GB of data for $25 month, with a $10 charge for each additional GB. Although AT&T will refuse to provide cost information unless legally ordered to do so, $10 per GB is almost certainly more than it costs AT&T to provide the service — and $75 per GB is highway robbery.

* Only the beginning of mobile broadband. Maybe $10 per GB sounds reasonable to you, but remember that mobile broadband is still in its early stages. The fact is, today's heavy users will be tomorrow's average user. 
Just today, Steve Jobs announced that the iPhone 4 will include a Netflix app. That's pretty cool, except for the part about streaming online video, which quickly uses up a lot of bandwidth. New iPhone users with a $15 a month plan should get ready for some serious overage charges to stream The Blind Side. That's right, a two-hour movie would use more than 200 MB in data, blowing a DataPlus user's data allotment in one viewing.

And to top it off, Cisco estimates that an average mobile user will consume 7 GB of data by 2014. For that, a "DataPlus" user would be charged $305 a month, and a "DataPro" user would owe $75. AT&T's pricing scheme will punish new smart phone owners just as they're getting up to speed with the mobile Web. 

* Greedy tethering. For an extra $20 a month, iPhone users in the U.S. can finally tether their phones' data plans to their laptops (many smartphone users can do this already, at no additional fee). Of course, the data used by the laptop will come out of the same bucket as the data for the iPhone, making it much easier to go over your 200 MB or 2 GB of monthly data. As David Pogue put it, charging $20 a month for no extra data "seems a little greedy," especially when AT&T is already charging for the extra data usage. That's an understatement. We call it blatant price gouging.

* Killing innovation. Not only does this overcharging break the bank, but it's also an incredible disincentive to using data-heavy applications like Netflix and Pandora, not to mention whatever new applications will exist in four years. How will the next wave of mobile entrepreneurs produce innovative apps, with customers constantly looking over their shoulders at overage charges? (GigaOM's Stacey Higginbotham has more on this).

It's likely that Verizon will follow AT&T's lead and introduce its own tiered scheme soon enough (though some suggest that Sprint and T-Mobile, which are both losing subscribers, have bandwidth to spare so they will likely keep their unlimited plans). If Verizon does go that route, metering by the two largest mobile carriers would all but ensure that wireless broadband never becomes a true competitor to wireline broadband, and that broadband users continue to pay Verizon and AT&T double — once for Verizon FiOS or AT&T U-Verse, and again for Verizon or AT&T wireless.

As we continue to see explosive growth and innovation in the world of devices and applications —think how mind-bending the iPhone 4 or the HTC Incredible would have seemed to consumers just a few years ago — the future of wireless broadband service is grim.

scott
06-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Just as minutes have become increasingly cheaper over time, why wouldn't you think data would do the same as more infrastructure is built?

And to top it off, Cisco estimates that an average mobile user will consume 7 GB of data by 2014. For that, a "DataPlus" user would be charged $305 a month, and a "DataPro" user would owe $75. AT&T's pricing scheme will punish new smart phone owners just as they're getting up to speed with the mobile Web. 

For starters, the market wouldn't sustain that kind of pricing and AT&T would fall flat on its face. But more importantly, applying current pricing based on current supply factors to estimated future demand without incorporating changes to future supply is a pointless conversation. The kind us Economics professors give F's to in school.

Obviously AT&T feels this is a cost-saving or revenue-generating move, otherwise they wouldn't do it. But acting like all customers are going to get screwed is naive. You are part of that 2%. AT&T has decided that you and the rest of the 2% can walk, they'd rather attract the rest of the 98% with lower pricing. Just as AT&T is doing this to aid their bottom line, they will adjust the usage caps as the market dictates - exactly the same way it's happened with minutes and SMS usage.

scott
06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
My main concern is that this sets a bad precedent. I refuse to believe AT&T is doing this to save their customer's money. If most users are under the 200mb and almost all of them are under the 2 GB mark, why is it even a problem for AT&T? Why do they need to regulate it if most people are only using 50mb of data a month?

Anyone who believes that is delusional. Obviously it's about AT&T first and foremost. I don't think anyone has claimed otherwise.

And why does it cause a problem for AT&T? Well, because the 2% who exceed 2GB are probably like you - they don't just exceed it by a GB or two a month, they exceed it massively. AT&T isn't trying to save anyone but themselves money - and the way to do it is to drive people like you out of their market.

The most passionate fans are the ones who are most vocal and be a champion for you or a thorn in your side - but in the end, it's the rest of the 80% (90%, 98%) who pay the bills. Losing out on the hardcores can sometimes be a tough, but sometimes the right business decision.

Drachen
06-09-2010, 12:38 PM

These were exactly what I touched upon in my post regarding the 3g/4g switchover.