PDA

View Full Version : Is Gasol a top 50 NBA player?

TheMACHINE
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
All Time

Just wondering...

bdictjames
06-02-2010, 06:24 PM
No way. If he wins a second ring, he can get in the 45-50 range.

TIMMYD!
06-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't get it..

All-time?..

TE
06-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Hell no

The Franchise
06-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Fuck no!

TheMACHINE
06-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Added poll btw

The Gemini Method
Not all-time as of yet...maybe when it is all said and done.

He is, though top-50 in the league if you're going on currently playing...

TheMACHINE
All-Time

dirk4mvp
06-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Is he even a top 100 player all time?

Stump
06-02-2010, 06:36 PM
I assumed currently playing and clicked 'yes'.

HarlemHeat37
06-02-2010, 06:38 PM
If he wins another ring or 2 as the clear #2 option(so far in the playoffs, he's been a 1b IMO, last year he was a #2) and assuming he keeps up his usual level of play(which is a safe assumption), he'll be top 50 IMO..

2 or 3 rings as a sidekick(potentially on a team that repeated/3-peated), multiple all-NBA appearances, all-star appearances, very good stats, top 3 big man in the NBA for years(assuming he keeps up his level of play)..he would have a very good resume if the Lakers continue to win rings..

mikeschy55
06-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Pau is a poor mans Dirk. If Dirk isn't top 50 all time, then there's no way in hell Pau is.

monosylab1k
06-02-2010, 06:47 PM
He could get there. TBH alot of those Top 50 players need to be off the list anyhow. Dolph Schayes doesn't belong in the top 200.

The Gemini Method
06-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Just curious if anyone really cares about making this list? I mean, sure if you're no. 1 it could be something to reminisce about, but really...does number #29 on the list go about being that on a hypothetical list?

HarlemHeat37
06-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Dirk is clearly top 50 all-time, not debatable..

Also, yes, the top 50 will have to be updated, but I don't think they're going to do it that way..I think they'll just expand it to a top 75 so they don't have to disrespect anybody..

Goran Dragic
06-02-2010, 06:52 PM
He could get there. TBH alot of those Top 50 players need to be off the list anyhow. Dolph Schayes doesn't belong in the top 200.

Agreed, Bill Sharman, Paul Arizin and Billy Cunningham are another few on that list who would be lucky to get a D-league audition these days.

Ashy Larry
06-02-2010, 06:54 PM
could be 50-65 ...... is he better than many of those older guys from the 60s and 50s but they're pretty much set because of the era.

Ashy Larry
06-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Agreed, Bill Sharman, Paul Arizin and Billy Cunningham are another few on that list who would be lucky to get a D-league audition these days.

hell, like I said in another thread ..... there's no reason why Dominque Wilkins shouldn't be there ......

well two I can think of:

Celtics
Jordan

Bob Lanier
06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Pau is a poor mans Dirk.
Dirk, in turn, being a poor man's Shaq. Wait, what?

cobbler
06-02-2010, 07:09 PM
If he wins another ring or 2 as the clear #2 option(so far in the playoffs, he's been a 1b IMO, last year he was a #2) and assuming he keeps up his usual level of play(which is a safe assumption), he'll be top 50 IMO..

2 or 3 rings as a sidekick(potentially on a team that repeated/3-peated), multiple all-NBA appearances, all-star appearances, very good stats, top 3 big man in the NBA for years(assuming he keeps up his level of play)..he would have a very good resume if the Lakers continue to win rings..

So all year you are mouthing off that Pau is MVPau of the Lakers and now he's a #2 , 1b, or sidekick depending on your flavor of the day. Waiver much do you? :lmao

SomeCallMeTim
06-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Nope, he is not a top-50 all time NBA player.

And, yes, I do think I know where The Machine is headed with this. :lol

And I agree with his reasoning. It will be interesting to see how people dismiss it in various ways but it is a reasonable point.

TheMACHINE
06-02-2010, 07:35 PM
And, yes, I do think I know where The Machine is headed with this. :lol

o rly? :p:

sook
06-02-2010, 07:35 PM
at first i thought current...and i was like yea!

than i read all time...and umm..sorry man he isn't

sook
06-02-2010, 07:36 PM
themachine ..sorry for asking I don't understand if its ajoke or something...but do you actually like vujacic?

TheMACHINE
06-02-2010, 07:40 PM
themachine ..sorry for asking I don't understand if its ajoke or something...but do you actually like vujacic?

:downspin:

TD 21
06-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Not even close to being in the discussion currently and personally, I think the wheels are going to fall of this Lakers team faster than expected. Bryant and Fisher, in particular, can not keep essentially cheating age. At some point, one of their top six will miss the playoffs and it'll come after the trade deadline, so there won't be some mysterious trade that not only softens the blow, but is actually an upgrade from that player. That, or some of these guys will flat out run out of gas or run into a particular team that matches up well with them (if the Spurs land Splitter and bring in one wing player to provide solid 3D, then they'd instantly become that team). Something will happen.

This is a vulnerable, thin team, that has gotten by the past three seasons because no one in the West could match up with them, they've had extreme luck when it comes to game winners/close games/key players on other contenders being injury and subsequently getting a relatively easy path. But they're not the juggernaut that many in the media make them out to be.

So, I don't think Gasol will put together quite the resume some may think he will. Even if he put together the resume Harlem brought up, it's not like that's drastically different than Parker's. Would anyone consider him even close to a top 50 player? No. In fact, if you mentioned his name in that class, you'd be laughed at. Why should it be any different for Gasol?

cobbler
06-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Certainly you have to add the KobeHater Modifier...

If the Lakers win... Pau is a top 10 all time and MVPau.

If the Lakers lose... Pau is a puss and doesn't sniff the top 50 and it was Kobe's fault.

TheMACHINE
06-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Not even close to being in the discussion currently and personally, I think the wheels are going to fall of this Lakers team faster than expected. Bryant and Fisher, in particular, can not keep essentially cheating age. At some point, one of their top six will miss the playoffs and it'll come after the trade deadline, so there won't be some mysterious trade that not only softens the blow, but is actually an upgrade from that player. That, or some of these guys will flat out run out of gas or run into a particular team that matches up well with them (if the Spurs land Splitter and bring in one wing player to provide solid 3D, then they'd instantly become that team). Something will happen.

This is a vulnerable, thin team, that has gotten by the past three seasons because no one in the West could match up with them, they've had extreme luck when it comes to game winners/close games/key players on other contenders being injury and subsequently getting a relatively easy path. But they're not the juggernaut that many in the media make them out to be.

So, I don't think Gasol will put together quite the resume some may think he will. Even if he put together the resume Harlem brought up, it's not like that's drastically different than Parker's. Would anyone consider him even close to a top 50 player? No. In fact, if you mentioned his name in that class, you'd be laughed at. Why should it be any different for Gasol?

hmmm you have a GREAT point.

cobbler
06-02-2010, 07:59 PM

But but but you instantly became that team when you obtained Dick!!!! No? :lol

DPG21920
06-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Certainly you have to add the KobeHater Modifier...

If the Lakers win... Pau is a top 10 all time and MVPau.

If the Lakers lose... Pau is a puss and doesn't sniff the top 50 and it was Kobe's fault.

:lol You are so self conscious. As much as you want to whine about people using these arguments all the time, you come running like a whipped puppy to defend each and every little thing.

A Kobe comment is like your dinner bell.

TD 21
06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Find a direct quote from me where I said that.

I felt he would bring the Spurs closer to the Lakers and even though it may not have seemed like he did, I felt he did. Not him singlehandedly, of course, but I thought he closed the gap some.

The fact of the matter is I knew after the Spurs off season additions that they still didn't matchup all that well with the Lakers front line. But Splitter, theoretically, should help a great deal in that regard. If they get the wing player they need (we're not talking star here, just someone adequate; a notch up from Bogans/Mason) and stay healthy, I think at minimum they'd give the Lakers their toughest test in the West since acquiring Gasol.

Roughly the first two thirds of the Spurs season was essentially an extended training camp. Next season, the big three will all enter a season healthy and rested. Plus, Parker and Jefferson will be in contract years, Hill and Blair figure to be improved and Jefferson, McDyess and Blair will be more comfortable from day one. There's a lot to like going into next season. Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, but I'm encouraged (assuming Splitter signs), more so than I was going into last season.

cobbler
06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
:lol You are so self conscious. As much as you want to whine about people using these arguments all the time, you come running like a whipped puppy to defend each and every little thing.

A Kobe comment is like your dinner bell.

I enjoy the bantar and defending a player on the team I support. What am I self conscious about?

Please show me one thread I started with Kobe as the topic. ONE!

He's not my fave Laker. And though I have tremendous respect for his basketball skills and work ethic, I still think he's an egotistical prima donna like the majority of NBA players. I just respond to the haters and their repetitive jibberish and have fun doing so. He is going to finish as one of the all time greats and that can only mean more ships for my team. That it or I bother the likes of Harlem/Chris/Miami and now apparently you, is just a bonus. :toast

DPG21920
06-02-2010, 08:08 PM
I enjoy the bantar and defending a player on the team I support. What am I self conscious about?

Please show me one thread I started with Kobe as the topic. ONE!

You are self conscious about something because you feel the need to defend Kobe against any and all things. Even if it is obvious trolling.

SomeCallMeTim
06-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Find a direct quote from me where I said that.

I felt he would bring the Spurs closer to the Lakers and even though it may not have seemed like he did, I felt he did. Not him singlehandedly, of course, but I thought he closed the gap some.

The fact of the matter is I knew after the Spurs off season additions that they still didn't matchup all that well with the Lakers front line. But Splitter, theoretically, should help a great deal in that regard. If they get the wing player they need (we're not talking star here, just someone adequate; a notch up from Bogans/Mason) and stay healthy, I think at minimum they'd give the Lakers their toughest test in the West since acquiring Gasol.

Roughly the first two thirds of the Spurs season was essentially an extended training camp. Next season, the big three will all enter a season healthy and rested. Plus, Parker and Jefferson will be in contract years, Hill and Blair figure to be improved and Jefferson, McDyess and Blair will be more comfortable from day one. There's a lot to like going into next season. Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, but I'm encouraged (assuming Splitter signs), more so than I was going into last season.

The Spurs go as far as Duncan. He's run out of gas the past couple seasons and/or been hurt.

He's already to the age where hoping for a renaissance is really defying the odds.

I just don't see a lot of hope for improvement for the Spurs next season. Their best hope IMO is for bad luck for the Lakers, Blazers, Thunder, Mavs, etc. Not impossible, Lord knows the Blazers have had their share along with the Rockets.

cobbler
06-02-2010, 08:14 PM
You are self conscious about something because you feel the need to defend Kobe against any and all things. Even if it is obvious trolling.

Feel the need. Nope. Enjoy pissing off the haters and showing them for the fools they are. Absolutely!

Why do you care?

MiamiHeat
06-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Gasol will be in the Hall of Fame if the Lakers win more titles.

Venti Quattro
06-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Hell no.

DPG21920
06-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Feel the need. Nope. Enjoy pissing off the haters and showing them for the fools they are. Absolutely!

Why do you care?

Just an observation.

TD 21
06-02-2010, 08:24 PM
The Spurs go as far as Duncan. He's run out of gas the past couple seasons and/or been hurt.

He's already to the age where hoping for a renaissance is really defying the odds.

I just don't see a lot of hope for improvement for the Spurs next season. Their best hope IMO is for bad luck for the Lakers, Blazers, Thunder, Mavs, etc. Not impossible, Lord knows the Blazers have had their share along with the Rockets.

They always have and that's because he didn't have enough help. If the Spurs sign Splitter and Blair improves, he'll finally have legitimate help on the front line (throw in McDyess, as well). Duncan has "run out of gas" because the Spurs were asking him to do things that they shouldn't be at this point in his career. Like Garnett with the Celtics, if he's able to play a reduced role and not be counted on as much, he can still play, only unlike Garnett, he can play at or close to an elite level.

The Spurs don't need a renaissance from him. Why can the Celtics get by without a prototypical go-to scorer on a championship caliber team and do it by committee with Pierce, Rondo, Allen and Garnett, but the Spurs can't with Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Hill and Jefferson? I don't get why this is so difficult for people to fathom.

The hope for improvement is exactly what I detailed in my previous post. Not just as a fan do I hope they sign Splitter and add a veteran wing to provide 3D, but just to be able to tell people "I told you so", I hope they do. I honestly think if they do that and remain healthy, like I said, at minimum they give the Lakers their toughest test in the West since acquiring Gasol.

hitmanyr2k
06-02-2010, 08:24 PM
How could Gasol be a Top 50 player? He's basically been a sometime-y All-NBA third teamer for his career so far.

It's like asking if Scottie Pippen was a Top 50 player after the Bulls won their first championship. The answer was no. He was just getting started. 5 seasons later of Pippen adding All-NBA first teams and All-Defense first teams to his resume signifying himself as a Top 5 player on both ends of the floor resulted in him getting a Top 50 player nod. If Gasol can duplicate that body of work he'll get his due credit.

mingus
06-02-2010, 08:31 PM
he's what 29-30? if he does what he's doing now for another 4-5 seasons, probably.

DAF86
06-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Gasol will be in the Hall of Fame if the Lakers win more titles.

I think he will be regardless, in fact with what he has done, he may already be in.

cobbler
06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Just an observation.

I would tend to believe you would do the same if it was Timmy or another star spur being dissected on a daily basis. I only reply!

cobbler
06-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I think he will be regardless, in fact with what he has done, he may already be in.

Agreed. However, HOF and top 50 are 2 different animals.

mingus
06-02-2010, 08:39 PM
btw, to say top-50, as it if justifies anything, is sort of obsolete. bunch of guys that are in today's game that will probably be on it when all is said an done, thereby changing the list. it's not an immutable list by any means, which is why it's a stupid list to create if your're not going to say "the top 50 bball players of all-time until blah blah year."

DPG21920
06-02-2010, 08:40 PM
I would tend to believe you would do the same if it was Timmy or another star spur being dissected on a daily basis. I only reply!

No :lol because something so obvious does not merit a response.

mingus
06-02-2010, 08:40 PM
half the people who argue top 50 stupid to begin with because they're never even seen half of those guys play lmao.

DAF86
06-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Yeah, that "top 50 of all-time" shit is pretty stupid.

mingus
06-02-2010, 08:43 PM
i never even knew people used it in the first place to argue about anything since most people can't track the NBA as far back as it goes, and the list isn't stable. it's retarded.

MiamiHeat
06-02-2010, 08:43 PM
and this is the shit with Chris Bosh too

he's good enough to be a #2 option on a championship team. He's just pissed away his career in Toronto, just like KG did in Minny. If KG never went to Boston, KG would have been forgotten in history and labeled a loser.

This is unfair bullshit because they played on shitty teams.

Same deal with Gasol. The Grizzlies SUCK and always have sucked, but Gasol took unfair heat. Now he is on the Lakers, now people realize he was always a really good NBA talent, just like Kobe is.

Don't hate.

MiamiHeat
06-02-2010, 08:44 PM
btw, to say top-50, as it if justifies anything, is sort of obsolete. bunch of guys that are in today's game that will probably be on it when all is said an done, thereby changing the list. it's not an immutable list by any means, which is why it's a stupid list to create if your're not going to say "the top 50 bball players of all-time until blah blah year."

you are completely correct in that regard

xellos88330
06-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't think he is a top 50 player. He couldn't get out of the first round when he was leading the Grizz.

BadOdor
06-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't think he is a top 50 player. He couldn't get out of the first round when he was leading the Grizz.

Screw getting out of the first round.....he never won a single game in the playoffs.

dirk4mvp
06-02-2010, 09:36 PM
and this is the shit with Chris Bosh too

he's good enough to be a #2 option on a championship team. He's just pissed away his career in Toronto, just like KG did in Minny. If KG never went to Boston, KG would have been forgotten in history and labeled a loser.

This is unfair bullshit because they played on shitty teams.

Same deal with Gasol. The Grizzlies SUCK and always have sucked, but Gasol took unfair heat. Now he is on the Lakers, now people realize he was always a really good NBA talent, just like Kobe is.

Don't hate.

You know jack shit. Those Grizzlies' teams were very solid teams. Don't make excuses just because Gasol went 0-12 as a #1.

cobbler
06-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Don't hate.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao

cobbler
06-02-2010, 09:44 PM
top 50 this... top 100 that... team of the decade... MVP's (season and playoffs)... All star votes... GOAT... #1 option... #2 option... supporting cast... etc... etc...

blah blah blah

All that matters is titles and we are down by 2 hoping to close the gap to one. So you can have all the seasonal trinkets you like... I want the ultimate goal and that is and always will be the ring.

v2freak
06-02-2010, 10:00 PM
I'd say he is in the top 500 of all time.

MiamiHeat
06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
You know jack shit. Those Grizzlies' teams were very solid teams. Don't make excuses just because Gasol went 0-12 as a #1.

Who did they have that made those teams very solid? :lol I am listening.

Gasol was Rookie of the Year averaged 18 ppg and 9 rbg, and he's only gotten better since.

He led the Grizzlies to their first ever playoff appearance. also led Spain to 2006 FIBA Championship, winning the MVP of the tournament.

Grizzlies lost to the 2004 defending champion Spurs ;

The 2005 Western conference finalist Phoenix Suns;

the 2006 Western conference champions Dallas Mavs;

so again, let's hear your theories on why the Grizzlies should have beaten those teams.

SomeCallMeTim
06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
They always have and that's because he didn't have enough help. If the Spurs sign Splitter and Blair improves, he'll finally have legitimate help on the front line (throw in McDyess, as well). Duncan has "run out of gas" because the Spurs were asking him to do things that they shouldn't be at this point in his career. Like Garnett with the Celtics, if he's able to play a reduced role and not be counted on as much, he can still play, only unlike Garnett, he can play at or close to an elite level.

The Spurs don't need a renaissance from him. Why can the Celtics get by without a prototypical go-to scorer on a championship caliber team and do it by committee with Pierce, Rondo, Allen and Garnett, but the Spurs can't with Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Hill and Jefferson? I don't get why this is so difficult for people to fathom.

The hope for improvement is exactly what I detailed in my previous post. Not just as a fan do I hope they sign Splitter and add a veteran wing to provide 3D, but just to be able to tell people "I told you so", I hope they do. I honestly think if they do that and remain healthy, like I said, at minimum they give the Lakers their toughest test in the West since acquiring Gasol.

Please don't interpret my take as "hating" on Duncan. If there's any star in the league I wish success outside of "my team" it's him. Great, great player, classy as they come.

I think the "remain healthy" part is just too unlikely at this point, a lot in part due to age, Duncan included. That's why I don't see your scenario developing. I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong (to a point, still want the Lakers in the Finals next season).

Duncan played only 32 MPG this season. I guess you could really limit his role and have him at sub-30 MPG. Chances are that puts the Spurs where they were this season, a low seed. Needless to say that I don't like the Spurs' chances if that happens again.

IMO KG is playing at a high level right now, arguably elite factoring his effect on both sides of the court.

Ghazi
06-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Those Grizzlies teams just lost the series they were supposed to lose though. It just so happened everytime Gasol went up against a better team with a better superstar (lol Pau > Dirk)...

THe only thing you can say is that he should've at least been able to win 1 game. but alas.

TD 21
06-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Please don't interpret my take as "hating" on Duncan. If there's any star in the league I wish success outside of "my team" it's him. Great, great player, classy as they come.

I think the "remain healthy" part is just too unlikely at this point, a lot in part due to age, Duncan included. That's why I don't see your scenario developing. I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong (to a point, still want the Lakers in the Finals next season).

Duncan played only 32 MPG this season. I guess you could really limit his role and have him at sub-30 MPG. Chances are that puts the Spurs where they were this season, a low seed. Needless to say that I don't like the Spurs' chances if that happens again.

IMO KG is playing at a high level right now, arguably elite factoring his effect on both sides of the court.

Why, because of half a season (second half of 08-09)? He held up last season. The problem is the Spurs wore him down, after he carried them for half a season. Then, when he got his second wind to start the playoffs, they wore him down again. Twice he played an entire half and close to a full game. He just can't or at least shouldn't be doing that anymore. But because he doesn't have a quality, young big next to him, like Bynum or Perkins, when the Spurs are pressed they just resort to running him into the ground like it's the old days.

It's not the minutes, it's how arduous and demanding many of those minutes were. He doesn't get to just coast on offense, take the occasional jumper, not bang in the paint, not sprint out to set umpteen high screens and not be counted on to clean the glass or block shots, like Garnett. If the Spurs sign Splitter and Blair improves (it's not like either is out of the question; in fact, both are probably more likely than not), he should finally get the help/rest he deserves. The minutes will probably be similar (slightly less, I'd imagine) than last season, but they should be easier and maybe he can sit out the odd game of a back to back as well.

But you're ignoring the many reasons why they were a low seed. Many of which I've already explained won't be an issue next season.

Garnett at arguably an elite level? He's playing relatively well, but he's a glorified role player at this point in his career, with limited responsibilities. Duncan is playing at a much higher level. In fact, there might be a wider gap between them now than ever.

dirk4mvp
06-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Who did they have that made those teams very solid? :lol I am listening.

Gasol was Rookie of the Year averaged 18 ppg and 9 rbg, and he's only gotten better since.

He led the Grizzlies to their first ever playoff appearance. also led Spain to 2006 FIBA Championship, winning the MVP of the tournament.

Grizzlies lost to the 2004 defending champion Spurs ;

The 2005 Western conference finalist Phoenix Suns;

the 2006 Western conference champions Dallas Mavs;

so again, let's hear your theories on why the Grizzlies should have beaten those teams.

Can you direct me to where I said the Grizzlies were supposed to win those series? Thanks.

MiamiHeat
06-02-2010, 10:55 PM
2006 Memphis Grizzlies roster, that got swept by the eventual Western conference champion Dallas Mavericks :

1) 31 yr old Chucky Atkins, currently bench fodder on the Pistons.

2) Antonio Burks, released from NBA teams and now playing in Europe

3) Bobby Jackson, retired

4) Dahntay Jones, journeyman

5) 34 year old Eddie Jones

etc....

the only noteworthy guy on that team is Mike Miller.

cobbler
06-02-2010, 11:06 PM
I haven't seen anyone say they should have won any of those series.

Just one game out of 12 is all.

:wow

cobbler
06-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Posey,J.Williams, Bonzi, Stromile, Miller, Battier, Outlaw, Wright, Watson etc

Eddie Jones, Bobby Jackson, Miller, Battier, D. Stoudamire, Wright, Warrick etc

Just ONE game....

dirk4mvp
06-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Holy hell MiamiHeat is retarded.

In 04 the Grizzlies had 5 guys who avg'd double figures and 2 other guys who were at 9.5.

In 05 the Grizzlies had 5 guys who avg'd double figures and Battier at 9.9

In 06 the Grizzlies had 7 guys who avg'd double figures and gave up 89 ppg.

That's not enough to win 1 playoff game?

lol warmed up pizza

lol pt cruiser

lol chat roulette

PT Cruiser
06-02-2010, 11:35 PM
lol pt cruiser

Fuck you!

hitmanyr2k
06-02-2010, 11:36 PM

Eddie Jones, Bobby Jackson, Miller, Battier, D. Stoudamire, Wright, Warrick etc

Just ONE game....

I don't see one game changer or legit 2nd option in that entire list of players. I see a bunch of roleplayers there. The Grizzlies were pretty much overmatched at every position. I don't see one player that was superior or even equal to the '04 Spurs team...not one matchup advantage. And who in the hell on that Grizzly roster is going to match up with the high-scoring prowess of Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns? That Suns team in '05 had scorers coming out of their ass :lol.The Grizzlies didn't even have close to the firepower to match up. Same goes for the series against the '06 Mavericks. It's asking for a miracle for them to win a game against these high powered teams. The Grizz were first round fodder for the mostpart.

MiamiHeat
06-02-2010, 11:47 PM
I don't see one game changer or legit 2nd option in that entire list of players. I see a bunch of roleplayers there. The Grizzlies were pretty much overmatched at every position. I don't see one player that was superior or even equal to the '04 Spurs team...not one matchup advantage. And who in the hell on that Grizzly roster is going to match up with the high-scoring prowess of Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns? That Suns team in '05 had scorers coming out of their ass :lol.The Grizzlies didn't even have close to the firepower to match up. Same goes for the series against the '06 Mavericks. It's asking for a miracle for them to win a game against these high powered teams. The Grizz were first round fodder for the mostpart.

this man here has an education :toast

If anything, the Grizzlies overachieved thanks to Pau Gasol. Blaming him is absurd.

TDMVPDPOY
06-03-2010, 12:00 AM
it depends if he wins finals mvp

but then again...his resume looks shit, does he have any all nba teams and defensive team aawards?

duncan228
06-03-2010, 12:21 AM
...does he have any all nba teams and defensive team aawards?

2001-02 NBA All-Rookie (1st)
2008-09 NBA All-NBA (3rd)
2009-10 NBA All-NBA (3rd)

2001-02 NBA Rookie of the Year

All-Star Games

2006 NBA
2009 NBA
2010 NBA

SomeCallMeTim
06-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Mike Miller, James Posey, Battier, Outlaw, Bonzi, Jason Williams, Wesley Person. Of course you'll call them scrubs now.

Mike Miller's an excellent player when healthy -- definitely underrated. The other guys very good role players.

That collection of players sounds about exactly what they got -- 50 some wins and jack squat in the playoffs.

SomeCallMeTim
06-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Why, because of half a season (second half of 08-09)? He held up last season. The problem is the Spurs wore him down, after he carried them for half a season. Then, when he got his second wind to start the playoffs, they wore him down again. Twice he played an entire half and close to a full game. He just can't or at least shouldn't be doing that anymore. But because he doesn't have a quality, young big next to him, like Bynum or Perkins, when the Spurs are pressed they just resort to running him into the ground like it's the old days.

It's not the minutes, it's how arduous and demanding many of those minutes were. He doesn't get to just coast on offense, take the occasional jumper, not bang in the paint, not sprint out to set umpteen high screens and not be counted on to clean the glass or block shots, like Garnett. If the Spurs sign Splitter and Blair improves (it's not like either is out of the question; in fact, both are probably more likely than not), he should finally get the help/rest he deserves. The minutes will probably be similar (slightly less, I'd imagine) than last season, but they should be easier and maybe he can sit out the odd game of a back to back as well.

But you're ignoring the many reasons why they were a low seed. Many of which I've already explained won't be an issue next season.

Garnett at arguably an elite level? He's playing relatively well, but he's a glorified role player at this point in his career, with limited responsibilities. Duncan is playing at a much higher level. In fact, there might be a wider gap between them now than ever.

OK. Fair enough and you make good points.

We'll see how the 2011 season develops. Like I said, wouldn't mind at all seeing the Spurs give Duncan one last shot at contending. You make a good case for why this may well happen... I am dubious but hey, that's why they play the games. Plenty unforeseen happened this year, I am sure plenty more will happen next season.

SomeCallMeTim
06-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Holy hell MiamiHeat is retarded.

In 04 the Grizzlies had 5 guys who avg'd double figures and 2 other guys who were at 9.5.

In 05 the Grizzlies had 5 guys who avg'd double figures and Battier at 9.9

In 06 the Grizzlies had 7 guys who avg'd double figures and gave up 89 ppg.

That's not enough to win 1 playoff game?

lol warmed up pizza

lol pt cruiser

lol chat roulette

Would somebody be kind enough to summarize the story behind pizza, PT cruiser, and chatroulette vis a vis our dear friend here?

Inquiring minds want to know. Thankee.

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 12:35 AM
damn sons....all i needed was a yes or no.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Would somebody be kind enough to summarize the story behind pizza, PT cruiser, and chatroulette vis a vis our dear friend here?

Inquiring minds want to know. Thankee.

MiamiHeat drives a PT Cruiser, and he had a domestic argument with his wife because she was only willing to reheat pizza for their anniversary dinner, and he posted a pic of himself getting rejected on chat roulette.

SomeCallMeTim
06-03-2010, 12:37 AM

Mike Miller is a great 2nd option when healthy and a good counterpart to a player like Gasol.

cnyc3
06-03-2010, 12:49 AM
smokescreen kobe thread

SomeCallMeTim
06-03-2010, 12:57 AM
smokescreen kobe thread

Can't slip anything past this one.

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 01:03 AM
smokescreen kobe thread

the only way this would be a smokescreen Kobe thread is if there was a scottie pippen thread made aswell. :rolleyes

dirk4mvp
06-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Can we just do a Pippen vs. Gasol thread, tbh?

TheSpursFNRule
06-03-2010, 01:11 AM
Dirk is top 50. Gasol, no not yet. At the end of his career though this could be a different discussion.

21_Blessings
06-03-2010, 01:22 AM
:lmao 4 yes votes :lmao

I wonder what Harlem/Miami/Chris/Midnight voted? Hmmmmmm

HarlemHeat37
06-03-2010, 01:32 AM
I actually didn't vote, and I said he currently isn't a top 50 player right now, which is obvious..I said he would be if the Lakers win another title or 2 and he continues to play the same way..reading comprehension Mrs. Bynum..

Mike Miller is a great 2nd option when healthy and a good counterpart to a player like Gasol.

I like Mike Miller, I actually think he's one of the more underrated players in the NBA, but :rollin

A great 2nd option? LOL..

Mike Miller is a quality #4 or 5 option on a team that has good defenders around him..

Pau wasn't as good as he was at the time, this is obvious..not only is he in his prime, but he's now in a system that plays directly to his style and comfort on the basketball court..regardless though, that supporting cast really wasn't good..when Mike Miller/James Posey/Bonzi Wells are your #2 options at different times, that's just horrible..

ezau
06-03-2010, 04:12 AM
lol Gasol top 50? hahahahahaha

eisfeld
06-03-2010, 05:04 AM
I can't believe most of you fell for that thread...

Since he opened the "Is Scottie Pippen a Top 50 Player" Thread and this one you'll see Kobe > Jordan threads popping up soon since Jordan had a Top 50 player and Kobe not.

ezau
06-03-2010, 05:11 AM
I can't believe most of you fell for that thread...

Since he opened the "Is Scottie Pippen a Top 50 Player" Thread and this one you'll see Kobe > Jordan threads popping up soon since Jordan had a Top 50 player and Kobe not.

Is Shaq not top 50?

eisfeld
06-03-2010, 05:20 AM
Is Shaq not top 50?

But but but... Kobe won a ring without a top 50 player!

JamStone
06-03-2010, 08:54 AM
NBA: where fans arguing it's two-on-two happens

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
But but but... Kobe won a ring without a top 50 player!

hmmm thats a pretty good arguement...never thought of that one.

resistanze
06-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Gasol's easily Top 10.

peteee
06-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Pau still has much to achieve in his future career, considering he'll only turn 30 next month, but it's already safe to say he IS one of the fifty greatest players of all time. Except shooting 3 pointers, Pau does whatever Dirk is capable of and he plays tougher games than Dirk's.

TheMACHINE
04-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Damn so far 62 people think Gasol ISNT a top 50 player. 7 thinks yes.

100%duncan
04-10-2011, 11:59 AM
noo way