PDA

View Full Version : Gasol vs Pippen

D2Procon
06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Discuss.

cobbler
06-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Both Gasol and Pippen firmly believe you to be an idiot.

End of discussion/

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 11:42 AM
this thread is pointless

only idiots start threads about those these two.

tdunk21
06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
pippen..../thread

hater
06-03-2010, 11:45 AM
to build a team... Gasol
to be next to MJ.... Pippen
to be next to Kobe.... Gasol

/thread

stretch
06-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Gasol is a more gifted and skilled basketball player than Pippen, no question about it. Mentally, they are both about on par... both being fairly fragile mentally.

But hater put it well, that Gasol's skills fit better with Kobe's skill, and Pippen's skills fit better with MJ's skills.

Kobe is MUCH more of a jumpshooter than MJ, so it helps him more to have an interior presence. On the other hand, MJ was mostly a slasher, so it helped him more to have a do-it-all swingman type of player so that the middle was more open for him to create from. But I think MJ would be able to succeed more with Gasol as his sidekick, than Kobe would be able to succeed with Pippen as his sidekick.

hater
06-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Kobe is MUCH more of a jumpshooter than MJ, so it helps him more to have an interior presence. On the other hand, MJ was mostly a slasher, so it helped him more to have a do-it-all swingman type of player so that the middle was more open for him to create from. But I think MJ would be able to succeed more with Gasol as his sidekick, than Kobe would be able to succeed with Pippen as his sidekick.

I have to agree. MJ + Gasol still win 6 championships. Kobe + Pippen probably do not because they are both similar players and would take from each other. Plus you'd have to give Bynum more minutes :lol

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 12:02 PM
we're talking about pippen..."all first team, all first team defense, top 50 player, almost took his team to the ECF without Jordan" Pippen right?

and "3 time all star, couldn't win a playoff game before teaming with Kobe" Gasol right?

just making sure.

Chillen
06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
is this a joke? comparing Gasol to Pippen. When he was on the court with Michael Jordan and even without he is one of the games greatest players. Gasol is talented but his emergence with the Lakers has alot to do with them having Bynum and Kobe along with Odom to help take the load off.

ChrisRichards
06-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Look. This is simple. Gasol>Pippen.

Gasol is much more talented and his impact doubles that of Pippen because he's a big man who can rebound, score, defend and is very unselfish.

Pippen would never lead those Grizzlies team into a postseason appearance.

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Gasol is much more talented and his impact doubles that of Pippen because he's a big man who can rebound, score, defend and is very unselfish.

coincidence that You, HarlemHeat and MiamiHeat are the only 3 posters that think Gasol > Pippen. :lmao

Medvedenko
06-03-2010, 02:03 PM

Dude, we're all tired of you anti-kobe BS. F, you're the worst contributor to this forum along Harlem Heat and Miami Heat. Just quit posting and ban yourself as this nonsense needs to stop.

Pippen is Top 50 and did a lot for the game and was a proven go to guy. I love Gasol, but the question is Shaq>Pippen...

ChrisRichards
06-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Dude, we're all tired of you anti-kobe BS. F, you're the worst contributor to this forum along Harlem Heat and Miami Heat. Just quit posting and ban yourself as this nonsense needs to stop.

Pippen is Top 50 and did a lot for the game and was a proven go to guy. I love Gasol, but the question is Shaq>Pippen...
harlem is actually a pretty darn good poster. big fan of his. Can't say the same for that PT cruiser driving fag MiamiHeat though.

DAF86
06-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Gasol is a more gifted and skilled basketball player than Pippen, no question about it. Mentally, they are both about on par... both being fairly fragile mentally.

But hater put it well, that Gasol's skills fit better with Kobe's skill, and Pippen's skills fit better with MJ's skills.

On his last three peat MJ's offense came mostly from mid range jumpers, over 33 years old Jordan and Kobe are pretty similar players IMO.

DAF86
06-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I don't know why people keep mentioning Gasol's Grizzles days as a knock on him. He lead a shitty Memphis team to three consecutive playoffs berths in a stacked Western conference as a young, inexperienced, international player (playing abroad makes things a little bit more difficult for guys on their first years). Besides you forget that this current Gasol >>> Memphis' Gasol

Gasol and Pippen are pretty close to each other IMO, but I'd give the slight edge to Pau.

mojorizen7
06-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Lets see....
shooting-Pippen
ball handling-Pippen(this is what set him apart from a gazillion other small forwards)
range on shot-Pippen
passing-even
rebounding-Gasol
athleticism-Pippen
killer instinct-Pippen
defensively-Pippen

Pippen>Gasol
Why start a thread about these two guys? Is it the whole Batman & Robin thing?
Gasol is a good player and i wasn't a huge Pippen fan because i think he was a little soft whenever he got challenged physically but still,its not even that close IMO.

TE
06-03-2010, 02:41 PM
cannot compare two players playing different positions, with a wholly different identity (other than being second fiddle to a superstar).

DAF86
06-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Lets see....
shooting-Pippen
ball handling-Pippen(this is what set him apart from a gazillion other small forwards)
range on shot-Pippen
passing-even
rebounding-Gasol
athleticism-Pippen
killer instinct-Pippen
defensively-Pippen

Pippen>Gasol
Gasol is a good player and i wasn't a huge Pippen fan because i think he was a little soft whenever he got challenged physically but still,its not even that close IMO.

Have you seen Pippen play? he was an average shooter at best.

ChrisRichards
06-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Lets see....
shooting-Pippen
range on shot-Pippen
passing-even
rebounding-Gasol
athleticism-Pippen
killer instinct-Pippen
defensively-Pippen

Pippen>Gasol

You can't put it that way. Gasol's value exceeds Pippen because he's a big man. Their intagibles are equal but other than that Gasol's game brings a lot more to the game than Pippen.

mojorizen7
06-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Have you seen Pippen play? he was an average shooter at best.
Ok he was streaky :lol...but i gave him the edge because of his range.
What else?

mojorizen7
06-03-2010, 02:49 PM
You can't put it that way. Gasol's value exceeds Pippen because he's a big man. Their intagibles are equal but other than that Gasol's game brings a lot more to the game than Pippen.
I didnt start this ignorant fucking thread.

DAF86
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Ok he was streaky :lol...but i gave him the edge because of his range.
What else?

Yeah, he shot threes but that doesn't mean he's a better shooter. Antoine Walker also shot threes. Gasol is money from mid range and if he wanted I'm sure he could be an around 30% three point shooter but that doesn't help his game. IMO Gasol is the better shooter and slightly better player because they are pretty equal in terms of talent and what they bring to their teams but Gasol has an advantage on that regard 'cause he's a big man.

Besides that way of comparing players isn't very good. Ex:

Pippen vs Shaq-

shooting-Pippen
range on shot-Pippen
passing-Pippen
rebounding-Shaq
athleticism-Pippen
killer instinct-???
defensively-Pippen

mojorizen7
06-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah, he shot threes but that doesn't mean he's a better shooter. Antoine Walker also shot threes. Gasol is money from mid range and if he wanted I'm sure he could be an around 30% three point shooter but that doesn't help his game. IMO Gasol is the better shooter and slightly better player because they are pretty equal in terms of talent and what they bring to their teams but Gasol has an advantage on that regard 'cause he's a big man.

Besides that way of comparing players isn't very good. Ex:

Pippen vs Shaq-

shooting-Pippen
range on shot-Pippen
passing-Pippen
rebounding-Shaq
athleticism-Pippen
killer instinct-???
defensively-Pippen
Point taken. If you can come up with a better way to compare two different players,playing two different positions in two different era's you let me know.
Having said that i'm still taking Pippen over Gasol on my team for the reasons i mentioned.

j-money24
06-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Gasol as the best player on his team did not win a playoff game.. Pippen as the best player on his team went to the Eastern Conference Finals.

j-money24
06-03-2010, 03:22 PM
coincidence that You, HarlemHeat and MiamiHeat are the only 3 posters that think Gasol > Pippen. :lmao

:lmao:lmao:lmao

stretch
06-03-2010, 03:25 PM
On his last three peat MJ's offense came mostly from mid range jumpers, over 33 years old Jordan and Kobe are pretty similar players IMO.

I agree that his game did change somewhat by then, although he utilized his post-up skills a lot more than Kobe to get shorter mid-range shots. kobe tends to settle a lot for long 2s and bad 3s, which has always been my biggest knock on kobe... his shot selection. he seems to prefer taking lower percentage shots, as opposed to guys like MJ, Wade, and Bron, who focus on getting as close to the hoop as possible for their attempts (MJ and Wade are especially good at finding very short range jumpers) . it just seems like a majority of the time that kobe uses his post game, it results in a turnaround long 2, while MJ would get a turnaround short 2.

stretch
06-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Lets see....
shooting-Pippen
range on shot-Pippen
passing-even
rebounding-Gasol
athleticism-Pippen
killer instinct-Pippen
defensively-Pippen

Pippen>Gasol

are you joking? keep in mind, pippen consistently would shoot like shit in the playoffs, and fucking faked a migraine against Detroit in a game 7. Pippen was equally as fragile as Gasol.

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Pippen > Gasol

You guys are right. Kobe won with less.

/thread

hater
06-03-2010, 03:29 PM
are you joking? keep in mind, pippen consistently would shoot like shit in the playoffs, and fucking faked a migraine against Detroit in a game 7. Pippen was equally as fragile as Gasol.

I also remember Pippen cried like a vagina and was pouting on the bench when Phil chose Kukoc to shoot a game winning shot

hater
06-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Pippen > Gasol

You guys are right. Kobe won with less.

/thread

whatever helps you get up in the morning lakerfan

lefty
06-03-2010, 03:31 PM
WTF

COmparing a PF to a SF

Nonsense

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 03:32 PM
whatever helps you get up in the morning lakerfan

game 1 of the finals got me waking up today. how bout you? :p:

hater
06-03-2010, 03:34 PM
game 1 of the finals got me waking up today.

that's pretty sad :depressed

you have nothing else to live for?

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 03:37 PM
that's pretty sad :depressed

you have nothing else to live for?

nope! Go Lakers!

boston.balla
06-03-2010, 03:54 PM
actually, if we're talking about peak gasol easily trumps pippen to anybody who understands basketball. Bigman with smooth game, very good rebounder, underrated defender, stays out of foul trouble, exceptional ft shooter and mid range for a big man ... oh ... and a team first mentality (the last one is really rare for a talented bigman and enables the team to play the right way)

career wise the question gets an automatic answer. Can be debatable in 2-3 years if gasol mantains play.

Medvedenko
06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
actually, if we're talking about peak gasol easily trumps pippen to anybody who understands basketball. Bigman with smooth game, very good rebounder, underrated defender, stays out of foul trouble, exceptional ft shooter and mid range for a big man ... oh ... and a team first mentality (the last one is really rare for a talented bigman and enables the team to play the right way)

career wise the question gets an automatic answer. Can be debatable in 2-3 years if gasol mantains play.

I can agree with this...let's wait until the career is over.

mojorizen7
06-03-2010, 04:16 PM

I didn't say he was tough,as a matter of fact i think i said he would shy away from contact when challenged physically. My definition of the killer instinct is a player or team that can remain focused and finish the job when having the upper hand instead of choking(of course playing next to MJ doesn't hurt).

I remember Pippen finishing off quite a few teams when MJ was uninterested or felt unchallenged. Playoffs? You've got a point there actually....although he played well when thrust into that role when MJ left in '94.

stretch
06-03-2010, 05:12 PM
My definition of the killer instinct is a player or team that can remain focused and finish the job when having the upper hand instead of choking(of course playing next to MJ doesn't hurt).

so shooting like 1-10 and faking a migrane to cover up for a shitty performance in an elimination game that would send your team to the finals after delivering a massive beatdown in game 6 to steal the momentum back, means he can "remain focused and finish the job when having the upper hand instead of choking"?

GTFO

tlongII
06-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Gasol is taller than Pippen.

Höfner
06-03-2010, 05:14 PM
How do you know he faked a migraine? Were you in his brain?

The Gemini Method
06-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Gasol looks like a caveman/big bird...

Pippen looks like Humpty Hump from the Digital Underground days...

Both are better ball players than models...

HarlemHeat37
06-03-2010, 05:40 PM
This was my post on the subject..where did I say Gasol is better than Pippen?..why do Laker fans have to make shit up to make their arguments look decent?..why can't they just actually argue with logic and facts?..

As for this Medvedenko man, I have yet to see this guy make a decent post on ST TBH, yet he's criticizing for our quality of posts, even though I'm pretty sure 99% of the people on ST would rather have me here than him..not that I care either way, but it's funny that I keep being called out by a guy that has shown very little knowledge when it comes to basketball..

The Machine's whole plan here actually backfired, and it makes Jordan look even more dominant, since most people here believe that Pippen was better than Gasol..

Kobe and Jordan aren't comparable in any way TBH..Kobe isn't even comparable to Kareem/Wilt/Magic/Bird TBH, he's heavily lacking in accolades and stats..so the Jordan comparable is insulting, no matter how many people come out and say it(in this "what have you done for me lately" world we live in)..there isn't possibly an argument anybody can make TBH, Kobe is just lacking..

I'll check the #2 argument anyways though..

During the regular season this year, Pau Gasol was the leader for the Lakers in Win Shares/Wins Produces by a HUGE margin..he also led the Lakers in PER, he was the most efficient player on the team, he led the team in ORating and was only behind Odom when it comes to defensive rating..Gasol was even #2 on the team in APG..

The playoffs haven't been much different..Pau leads the Lakers in Win Shares/Wins Produced, by far the leader in ORating, the most efficient player on the team, their leading rebounder and shot blocker..

Scottie Pippen never even APPROACHED Jordan in ANY of these categories..the usage % between MJ and Pippen was pretty much the same difference between Kobe and Gasol, yet Pau has managed to approach or even surpass Kobe in many of these valuable categories, yet this continues to be ignored..

So ultimately, The Machine tried to show that Jordan's #2 option was better, which a lot of people believe(I'm not disagreeing)..however, it turns out that Jordan's gap over Pippen when it comes to dominance/stats/impact is A LOT bigger than Kobe's gap over Gasol, which is kind of funny considering the point of this all was to show that Jordan had the better #2 option..

BoricuaCJA
06-03-2010, 05:58 PM
pippen > gasol.

MavDynasty
06-03-2010, 06:02 PM
sup ashraf

anyone still have the vid of him doing layups to brittney spears music?

lol tacker

InK
06-03-2010, 06:09 PM
I also remember Pippen cried like a vagina and was pouting on the bench when Phil chose Kukoc to shoot a game winning shot

Wow someone who remembers. Anytime the Pippen discussion pops up, this series comes to mind and how PJ was literally forced to go with Toni. Killer instinct Pippen, lol.

Booharv
06-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Let's look at Pippen's 1993-94 season. He averaged 22.0 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 5.6 apg, (which are almost exactly the same kind of numbers Grant Hill put up his first five seasons when everyone was in love with him) and a league leading 2.9 spg. He made first team All NBA, first team All Defense, and finished third in the MVP voting. Pippen led a Bulls team with Horace Grant as its second option to a seven game series loss to the Knicks (*cough* Hubert Davis Foul *cough*), the same Knicks who were microscopically worse than the eventual champion Rockets. He is generally considered one of the greatest perimeter defenders of all time and led the league in defensive rating that season (an admittedly flawed stat but still). I don't think Gasol could ever accomplish the same accolades in particular the top 3 MVP placing with a team like that.

TD 21
06-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Longevity, body or work, none of that matters anymore...just make a few finals as a sidekick and you're already anointed. If the Lakers win this series and just make the finals next year (never mind win), you're going to start hearing idiots mentioning Gasol is "one of the greatest power forwards of all-time". Two years down the road, I'm sure some will be telling us he was better than Duncan.

Medvedenko
06-03-2010, 06:47 PM
This was my post on the subject..where did I say Gasol is better than Pippen?..why do Laker fans have to make shit up to make their arguments look decent?..why can't they just actually argue with logic and facts?..

As for this Medvedenko man, I have yet to see this guy make a decent post on ST TBH, yet he's criticizing for our quality of posts, even though I'm pretty sure 99% of the people on ST would rather have me here than him..not that I care either way, but it's funny that I keep being called out by a guy that has shown very little knowledge when it comes to basketball..

The Machine's whole plan here actually backfired, and it makes Jordan look even more dominant, since most people here believe that Pippen was better than Gasol..

Nice post.....I'll continue to troll you, feels shitty eh. I've forgotten more about bball than you'll ever know.

JamStone
06-03-2010, 06:50 PM

Excellent point!

You know how Michael Jordan had so much less with those Bulls teams than Kobe has had on the Lakers?

Well take Jordan off those horrible Bulls teams. Scottie Pippen led that team to 55 wins and to the second round of the playoffs. Pete Myers was the starting 2-guard.

Medvedenko
06-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Excellent point!

You know how Michael Jordan had so much less with those Bulls teams than Kobe has had on the Lakers?

Well take Jordan off those horrible Bulls teams. Scottie Pippen led that team to 55 wins and to the second round of the playoffs. Pete Myers was the starting 2-guard.

Dont' worry JS, these fools have zero reason to be posting the nonsense that I see here on a daily basis. I get called out for not posting quality...it's par for the course with these goofs. I'm on strike. Nothing I see from Miami Heat, Harlem Heat and CR is worth anyone's analysis or statistical scrutiny.

DAF86
06-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Longevity, body or work, none of that matters anymore...just make a few finals as a sidekick and you're already anointed. If the Lakers win this series and just make the finals next year (never mind win), you're going to start hearing idiots mentioning Gasol is "one of the greatest power forwards of all-time". Two years down the road, I'm sure some will be telling us he was better than Duncan.

Nobody is saying Gasol is better than Duncan career wise, we're saying Gasol is better than Duncan right now, which is true. Don't be so butthurt and accept that Duncan has slowed down and Gasol is in the peak of his career, there's no shame in coming after the best or second best bigman in the league, specially when you have been that for more than 10 consecutive years.

Spursfan092120
06-03-2010, 09:09 PM
we're talking about pippen..."all first team, all first team defense, top 50 player, almost took his team to the ECF without Jordan" Pippen right?

and "3 time all star, couldn't win a playoff game before teaming with Kobe" Gasol right?

just making sure.
This