PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard Will Work Out with Hakeem Olajuwon This Summer

duncan228
06-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Dwight Howard Will Work Out with Hakeem Olajuwon This Summer (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-dwighthowardwillwork)
SportingNews

Even though Dwight Howard is the best center in the league, his offensive game is still a work in progress. While he’s developing more moves, Howard is still at his best when he makes quick decisions in the post (http://nbaplaybook.com/2010/05/19/the-key-to-dwight-howards-post-game/). He’s not quite as comfortable when making more deliberate moves in the classic post style. Kevin McHale, he is not.

But he’s still working on it. That’s why, this summer, Howard has plans to work with legendary center Hakeem Olajuwon. From Josh Robbins in The Orlando Sentinel (via Magic Basketball (http://www.magicbasketball.net/2010/06/03/dwight-howard-to-work-with-hakeem-olajuwon-in-the-off-season/)):

Some help might come from former Houston Rockets all-star Hakeem Olajuwon, who spoke with [Dwight] Howard during the Eastern Conference finals. Olajuwon has made himself available to NBA players in recent years; he even spent some time last summer working with Kobe Bryant to help Bryant to develop his low-post game.

“In the next couple of weeks, we will see each other,” Howard said of Olajuwon. “I just can’t wait to go up there. He’s a great guy. He had a lot of great things to say. I’m just looking forward to having the chance to work with him.”

Hakeem is actually one of the better players Howard could turn to for advice. As a youngster, Olajuwon relied more on athleticism than skill, in a manner relatively similar to Dwight. Howard is still only 24, but Olajuwon can still help him transition from athletic dynamo to a more refined player.

Patrick Ewing has helped Howard’s offensive game considerably, but it too often seems as if Ewing is trying to turn Dwight into a veteran big man rather than a dynamic athletic talent who also happens to have a couple excellent post moves. Olajuwon could understand Howard better. The main question is whether or not he can have much of an impact in only a few sessions.

boston.balla
06-03-2010, 03:51 PM
dwight should work with a free throw coach.

ffadicted
06-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Couple years late... Still nice to see though, let's see if dwight is actually smart and picks up quickly

4>0rings
06-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Has Hakeem bettered anyone he taught?

Muser
06-03-2010, 04:40 PM

Kobe.

ChrisRichards
06-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Couple years late...
late my ass. dwight is only 25 y/o. :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-03-2010, 04:48 PM

Was this question serious?

crc21209
06-03-2010, 04:50 PM
About time..

4>0rings
06-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Was this question serious?
As serious as your shiny shirts.

ChrisRichards
06-03-2010, 05:02 PM
DoK likes shiny shirts? Are these the graphic type or the relfective pima ones?

Cane
06-03-2010, 05:04 PM
It should help Howard but he's got mental roadblocks bigger than just whose training him. He seems to whine too much and deflects his weaknesses to others by bitching to the refs about his fouls and to his coach about "not enough touches" even though his offense is pretty lacking. Not sure what it takes to teach a player to stop making boneheaded and reckless personal fouls/technicals. He also didn't show up to play for 2-3 games of the ECF and was a liability in the first round.

Seems like more of an athlete than a premier basketball player. If he does develop some consistent 1v1 moves then he could be a serious MVP candidate and he'd give his shooters more open looks.

The Gemini Method
06-03-2010, 05:06 PM
I would have to say good for Dwight...perhaps he'll pick up something like the shake or a post fadeaway. He should, as someone else mentioned, work on his freethrows as well.

lol @ the shiny shirt retort--that was pretty funny.

Höfner
06-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Maybe Dwight finally realizes that working with jumpshooters doesn't help your low post game.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-03-2010, 05:16 PM
DoK likes shiny shirts? Are these the graphic type or the relfective pima ones?

I own two knock off affliction shirts brah, I really don't care who makes fun of them or not since I barely wear either one, but 4>0rings seems pretty fixated on what kind of clothes I wear.

manufan10
06-03-2010, 05:25 PM
kobe.

+1

JoeTait75
06-03-2010, 05:31 PM
About time..

This. Can't believe Dewey has a resource like this man available and hasn't called on him till now.

duhoh
06-03-2010, 10:29 PM
wow, D12 develops a working post game, and he'd be downright frightening.