PDA

View Full Version : What would you do for courtside seats to the Finals?

duncan228
06-03-2010, 03:50 PM
What would you do for courtside seats to the Finals? (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/16475/what-would-you-do-for-courtside-seats-to-the-finals)
By Kevin Arnovitz

Would you walk from Boston to New York?

Tyler McGill would (http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20100603-NEWS-6030441).

A couple of his friends have seats on the parquet for Games 3, 4 and 5 in Boston. Over dinner, McGill asked the friends what it would take for him to get his hands on those tickets. They laid out the terms, and an hour later McGill was on a bus from his home in Rye, New Hampshire to Boston.

McGill had a false start late on Tuesday night when he encountered rain storms eight miles into the trek. He was ill-prepared, so he turned around, then ventured out again on Wednesday morning:

Armed with a pair of shoes, shorts, a dry-fit T-shirt and a pack full of sunscreen, an iPod, baby powder, three pairs of socks, his wallet, cell phone and phone charger, McGill said he felt better prepared for the more than 200-mile trek to New York City.

Fast-forward to Wednesday at about 9 p.m., and McGill had made it nearly 80 miles and was walking through Putnam, Conn. Having just enjoyed a steak dinner at a restaurant downtown, McGill said he is beginning to feel the after-effects of his decision.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," he said. "I hate walking. I'm basically walking a marathon and a 10K everyday.

"I got trapped in rain yesterday, and Ruth in Sherborn, (Mass.) let me take a nap inside the Town Hall," said McGill. "The police were nice enough to give me a reflective vest to walk in, but made me promise to wear it to the first game I go to."

Having been approached by many motorists asking him if he needs a ride, McGill said the temptation is there, but not an option.

"It was brutally hard to say no," he said.

The nature of the bet is purely on the honor system, but McGill said he is required to send pictures from his cell phone to his friends every once in a while to update them on his travels.

While acknowledging he is Celtics fan, McGill said his main drive is his disdain for Lakers star Kobe Bryant.

Surviving on "mostly Charleston Chews," energy drinks and water, McGill said he is also depending upon the hospitality of those he meets along the way.

"A nice school teacher offered me a place to stay for the night, but I'm nearly 139 miles away and decided to keep walking," he said.

(Hat Tip: Charlie Widdoes)

tlongII
06-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Nothing for this Finals. And I had lower level seats for the Finals in 90 and 92.