PDA

View Full Version : asian food. mmmmmmmmmmmmm

MannyIsGod
08-01-2004, 03:05 PM
ok, so asian food kicks ass. i just recently tried sushi and i can't wait to try it again, it's sooooooo godamn good. the only problem is that apparently i have to be rich to eat this damn stuff on a regular basis.

do you guys know of any good cheap places to get some/

also, if you know any good thai places [i fucking love thai as well], let me know about those.

E20
08-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Thai House Restaurant
4114 Rittiman Rd
San Antonio
(210) 657-9126

Thai Kitchen Restaurant
445 McCarty Rd
San Antonio
(210) 344-8366

Benihana & Sushi Bar
8342 W. IH 10
San Antonio
(210) 541-8100

Kabuki Japanese Restaurant
15909 San Pedro Av, Ste. 100
San Antonio
(210) 545-5151

I'm a pussy I can't take sushi, I threw up eating it. I like the rice with the orange chicken and the Chicken Chow Mien.

KoriEllis
08-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Kabuki is really good. But Manny, if you are just looking for cheap Sushi fix on occasion, eat at Chopsticks on 410 -- it's chinese buffet but the Sushi is actually decent.

timvp is a Sushi expert and likes it more than I do. So ask him for more places.

Useruser666
08-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Cheap Sushi = Reciepe for disaster! :vomit

Oh and don't try and Google Kabuki and spell it wrong!

Useruser666 :eyebrow

Mark in Austin
08-01-2004, 03:56 PM
generally, I like to get sushi for lunch - there are usually specials that make it more affordable, even at the better places.

If you're ever in Austin, Tokyo Restaurant on Bee Caves Road is some of the best I've had.

KoriEllis
08-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Speaking of Sushi ...

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Oscar-winning actor Nicolas Cage has married for the third time.

The "Leaving Las Vegas" star wed 20-year-old Alice Kim on Friday at a private ceremony on a ranch in Northern California, publicist Annett Wolf told The Associated Press.

It is the third wedding for Cage, 40, who split with his previous wife Lisa Marie Presley after less than four months in 2002.

Before that, he was married for six years to actress Patricia Arquette.

Kim, a former sushi waitress, met Cage when the actor visited the Los Angeles restaurant where she worked. This is her first marriage.

They started dating in February and reportedly became engaged after about two months.

Wolf declined to provide addition details on the nuptials.

No photo was released.

Useruser666
08-01-2004, 04:10 PM
I hope things work out for them. Otherwise that would be one hell of a Bobbit!

CosmicCowboyXXX
08-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Koi Kawa in the shopping center next to the Witte Museum is excellent and reasonable. We sat right next to Tommy Lee Jones last time we went there for lunch.

The bigger HEB's have sushi bars now...probably the safest place to get cheap sushi around...since you are a novice you probably aren't looking for the more exotic stuff anyway...

I caught a 40lb yellow fin tuna while marlin fishing in Cabo a few years ago...we had brought onions/peppers/ tomatos/limes etc. with us that morning...we made fresh ceviche out of the tuna and then thin sliced more of the raw tuna...rolled it and used it to dip with...friggin awesome...

iminlakerland
08-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Sushi is awesome...We have tons and tons of sushi places out here (cali). We have some real high quality sushi that isnt to expensive.

What did you try Manny?

Oh and by the way the first time i tried sushi i was gona puke. But i tried it again and i loved it.

MannyIsGod
08-01-2004, 07:47 PM
I tried Vegtable Tempora, which was good, but not really sushi. I had california rolls, I had Eel, then I had a bunch of Tuna, and a bunch of other random stuff that was all good. The eel was my favorite.

Taz1
08-01-2004, 08:27 PM
i know where you can get sushi real cheap ...

just go down to the texas gulf coast, and look for the nearest live bait shop !

www.gcaa.com/photo.asp?id=54 (http://www.gcaa.com/photo.asp?id=54)

Flea
08-02-2004, 01:52 AM
I love sushi. You can get decent stuff at HEB, the ones that make it fresh, on the spot. We use to frequent Fujiya off of Wurzbach. Sushi is not cheap and I'm not sure I want it to be. When you eat raw fish you want it to be fresh and you want an expert preparing it. I want to take the sushi class at Central Market but have not had a chance.

I live on the Northeast side so the Thai I eat is usually at Bangkok Quisine quisine on Pat Booker or Thai Spice at the Forum.They aren't cheap though. Oh for really cheap, good Thai food there is Thai Dee on Blanco. They have cheap lunch specials.:)

Alamo Spurs Fan
08-02-2004, 02:33 AM
I like my sushi battered and deep fried. Thanks.

Beef I'll eat nearly raw. Fish needs to be steaming and fresh out of the Crisco, or it just sucks, IMO...

Blood Dong
08-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Try the bukkake...........heard it's messy tho

Blondie4Spurs
08-02-2004, 02:39 PM
The BEST sushi and Japaneese food is at Goros on Mossrock right off of 410 and Vance Jackson in the strip center behind the Diamond Shamrock. Great variety and super great happy hour prices, much less expensive than any place else in SA. Items not on the menu - las vegas, louisiana, and aggie rolls are to die for and they will make just about anything you ask for. They also have a room with a big screen TV so you can watch sports!

Zushi Sushi is ok and a lot more expensive.

Kabuki might have good Japaneese food, but their sushi pales in comparison to Goros and Zushi Sushi.

Stay away from Sake Cafe - over priced and not very good. That also goes for any CHineese restaraunt that serves sushi - generally a bad idea.

Best Thai:

Thai Cafe on perin beitel next to long John Silvers.

CrazyOne
08-02-2004, 04:12 PM
I've been to the Bangkok Cuisine on Pat Booker and liked it a lot. A good friend, who is Thai herself, highly recommends the Thai Cafe on Perrin Beitel.

ClintSquint
08-02-2004, 05:57 PM
If it ain't cooked, this hombre ain't eatin' it.

Blood Dong
08-02-2004, 05:59 PM
So your significant other must be very dissatisfied.........

CosmicCowboyXXX
08-02-2004, 06:11 PM
http://tripfall.net/archives/Nemo.jpg

in honor of Manny's new love for sushi I hereby rename the house special as the "Manny Roll"...

F7
08-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Cheapest Asian food? A simple call to Pimp "Nasty" McGraw can land you a $10 all you can eat Asian muffet.

BOOYAH!

ClintSquint
08-02-2004, 06:37 PM
So your significant other must be very dissatisfied.........

No matter...my sausage is fully cooked! :wink

MannyIsGod
08-02-2004, 11:33 PM
so on a whim i tried central market's sushi today. not bad, but not as good as the sushi zushi i had on friday. i am going to hit up goro's later on this week though, that sounds pretty cool.

Taz1
08-02-2004, 11:44 PM
i see your plan ...

try all these "wannabes", then "save the best for last" !

so, you will be visiting the texas gulf coast after you've tried all these "high dollar, low quality" california-esque scuz buckets, then you're going to go down to port aransas, and hit the first live bait shop you can find, and then you'll know what "real" sushi consists of !!!

and you thought you could fool all of us ?

come on, now ... how long have you been a member here ?

ChumpDumper
08-02-2004, 11:59 PM
I'm going to take this opportunity to plug my favorite Korean dish, bi bim bop.

Just finshed a batch.

Tasty.

Taz1
08-03-2004, 12:48 AM
doesn't he pitch for the boston red sox, formerly with the arizona diamondbacks ?

yeah, remember ... he was the one that single-handedly tried to give the world series to the yankees, back in 2001 !

Blondie4Spurs
08-03-2004, 12:49 AM
The last time I had central market suhi it was disgusting - maybe you ordered the wrong thing at Zushi Sushi........

I have heard Koi Kawa is good but haven't been there yet. I do know it is very pricey.

When you go to goros ask for the beef onion soup instead of Miso - it comes with your meal.

The best roll on the menu is the Izzy - spicy crab roll rempura'd. Best roll not on the menu is the Aggie - tempura shrimp rolled in king crab covered in a spicy sauce.

For those afraid of raw food many rolls come with smoked or cooked seafood. Just ask the waiter to point out the ones that are cooked.

NeoConIV
08-03-2004, 02:23 AM
With a Korean wife, I eat ALOT of Korean and other asian foods. I've also been to Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong, and Singapore so I know a little about authenticity as well, not much, but some.

As far as I can tell, San Antonio doesn't have a high quality Chinese restaurant. The Chinese is very Americanized, typically using too much sugar and MSG. If someone knows of one please let me know. If I had to pick one, it would be Wang's Garden at Blanco and 410 in the business park behind Denny's. Semi-authentic and above the norm in SA. The only Chinese restaurant in town that knows how to make Hot and Sour soup properly.

Korean: Go Han Jib. Rittiman & I-35. This is easily the best Korean in town. Family owned and operated, high high premium on quality. You usually need to make reservations on Fri and Sat.

Thai food: Thai Chili. Thousand Oaks & Nacodoches. Chef Chai is the coolest dude. Born and raised in Thailand, went to culinary school here and blended styles. Very outgoing and friendly. We go here most often. It is sooooo out of this world. He is not afraid to crank up the heat either. Get your dish at 15 or higher and it's barely edible it's so hot. That's how I love it.

Anyways...

Alamo Spurs Fan
08-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Someone in Austin help me out here...

I remember Dudley and Bob (with Charlie Hodge) talking about a Sushi Bar where they have a karaoke night and the owner gets smashed out of his gourd on saki and starts talking shit on the microphone to all the women in attendance. Sounded like a hoot and a half. Anyone ever heard of it?

CosmicCowboyXXX
08-03-2004, 01:37 PM
have heard Koi Kawa is good but haven't been there yet. I do know it is very pricey.

Koi Kawa is very good but I didn't think it was that expensive. I go at lunchtime and it is definitely cheaper than Sushi Zushi...

ClintSquint
08-03-2004, 01:43 PM
I like that place on stilts at 410 & Callaghan.

Also the place on Broadway. Hung Fung?

Hook Dem
08-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Hung Fong Clint. Meet ya there sometime!

MannyIsGod
08-03-2004, 03:59 PM
sushi zushi was pricey. 35 bucks for 2 people on friday,and we didn't have all that much. i've gotten used to eating cheap i guess, cause that's not all that bad. maybe i'm just cheap.

it was good however, especially the eel.

Tommy Duncan
08-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Whatever you do, be sure to limit your intake of sake bombs when you eat sushi. That is, unless you want to have the sushi revisit you later that evening.

Also, stay away from the Sushi Pimp in ATown. Dude's an ass.

Spurminator
08-03-2004, 04:16 PM
I can only eat sushi when I'm drunk. And never as one of my three meals.

Blood Dong
08-03-2004, 04:45 PM
With a Korean wife, I eat ALOT of Korean

No pun intended?

spacefish206
08-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Chinese with a lot of sugar and MSG? I pity you people.

Those who can't chow down raw fish, try the tempura and temaki's...

I like the food in the Philippines and Malaysia, they're more diversified and the food, even if they're Continental/American/Chinese/Japanese/Italian/whatever, carry on them the local flavor.

mstexmex
08-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Sushi, is the greatest EVER!!!!

one thing about Vegas, We have the best All-u-Can-Eat
sushi bars!!! It cost 25.00 usually for an hour.

my favorite is yellowtail, its like heaven.
I ate at some Sushi place in the colonnade last time I was back home, it was pretty good.
For Desert try Strawberry Moochie.
It's a Japanese ice cream that is off the hook!!

SlayerMin
08-03-2004, 09:04 PM
As Blondie4Spurs stated, not all sushi is raw. Many rolls have cooked meat or no meat at all.

Sashimi is raw. I never tried raw fish until I moved to LA. It took me a couple of meals before I acquired the taste for it. Now, I love it.

But I still can't eat some of the other side seafood dishes that accompany sushi and sashimi. I even tried a live prawn when I moved to Cally. This one restaurant out here brings you a live prawn and you have to kill it with your hands. Then you dip it in a sauce or wasabi with soy sauce and eat it. I have only tried that once. That was a trip.

I went to a Chinese Christmas party in SA once and they served some authentic Chineses dishes. One dish was really weird. It was a platter of small hands. Needless to say, I didn't eat any of that dish. I think they said it was monkey hands but I am not sure. They did look like monkey hands.

SpursWoman
08-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Thai Spice

I was at the Forum just now and saw that....is it any good?

Blondie4Spurs
08-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Thai Spice is pretty good. I've only been there once.

I like Thai chile also, but Thai Cafe is my alltime faorite. They have a slammin dinner buffet now on Fri and Sat.

Sampongs over on the northwest side - on fred I think - is very good also.

MannyIsGod
08-04-2004, 01:02 AM
i had sarika's today, on fred and medical. good stuff.

Blondie4Spurs
08-04-2004, 03:19 AM
Sarijas is good too I just don't get over that way very often.

I LOVE phillipino food but there aren't any restaraunts in SA.

CosmicCowboyXXX
08-04-2004, 09:38 AM
Sarikas is awful. Don't go there. ever.

it's hard enough for me to get in there for lunch now...don't need you guys filling it up...:lol

CrazyOne
08-04-2004, 10:31 AM
There are three places I know where you can get Filipino food in SA. Oriental Cuisine on Bandera and Wurzbach (otherwise known as Sari Sari, the name of the store that is part of the operation.) Lily's Bakery in the shopping center on the access road of 410 just south of Marbach. It's mainly a bakery and store, but they keep about 3 or 4 dishes cooking each day. On the far northeast side, just a few blocks from the entrance to Randolph AFB is M.Y. Chockdee. They opened up a restaurant in the store recently.

Useruser666
08-04-2004, 11:16 AM
On a semi-related note, China Rose just got busted by the kitchen cops.:vomit

MannyIsGod
08-04-2004, 12:21 PM
lmao cc, that place is always crowded, i feel your pain.

MannyIsGod
08-16-2004, 05:07 PM
i had goro's today. good shit. and goro made my rolls.

NeoConIV
08-16-2004, 05:44 PM
www.thaichili.net

pretty good site, he has some recipes...

Flea
08-17-2004, 02:49 PM
SW, I ordered take out once at Thai Spice and it was pretty good.

CosmicCowboyXXX
08-18-2004, 05:17 PM
OK...did Goros for lunch today...

I had a very mixed review...

All the actual sushi was very good but the lunch specials were very dissappointing...the glass noodles on one dish were virtually inedible...rubbery and sticky...even using a knife and fork they were almost impossible to eat...trying to get a bite resulted in picking up a glob of stuck together noodles that stretched to more than a foot without releasing...we eat glass noodles frequently at thai restaurants and that is NOT the way they are supposed to be...the chicken on another meal was very poor quality...grissley, tendony dark meat that was very rubbery...like maybe boiled drumsticks?...both meals were so bad that the people I was with wouldn't eat them...they just ate sushi...the miso was ok but nothing to write home about...

but...like I said...the actual sushi was very good...we had six different rolls and all were OK...

when the waiter asked how our food was we nicely explained the problem with the two dishes and they were obviously uneaten...surprisingly he didn't even comment or apologize...and did not offer to comp them or offer anything (free dessert, etc.) to compensate...he just ignored the feedback and brought the bill.

WriterNum934
08-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Neocon, have you tried Golden Wok on Wurzbach?

Really good.

I love the stir fry bar.

KoriEllis
08-19-2004, 03:08 PM
We always eat at Golden Wok too.

Everything there is fresh and good. We don't do their stir fry that much though. We mostly eat their sesame chicken and beef pepper steak.

Blue Jew
12-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Cheap Sushi = Reciepe for disaster! :vomit

Oh and don't try and Google Kabuki and spell it wrong!

Good to see you posting again, :toast

Höfner
12-24-2009, 12:56 AM
racist