PDA

View Full Version : How is any team supposed to beat the Lakers when they have Gasol?

midnightpulp
06-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Guy is a flat out stud. 23-12-3 on 8-14 shooting against a front line that most people thought would shut him down. Just can't see anyway this guy can be stopped. Too skilled, too clutch, too smooth.

An eternal fuck you to the Memphis Grizzlies and Dr. Buss's house boy Jerry West.

BadOdor
06-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Over/under on the duration of spur fan butthurtedness?

spizzle_tronk
06-03-2010, 10:56 PM
u mad

Ghazi
06-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Well, the Celtics did beat them in 2008...

Not as if theyre ungodly invincible.

duhoh
06-03-2010, 10:57 PM
he mad

mojorizen7
06-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Controlling the rebounding battles would be a good start.

Roddy Beaubois
06-03-2010, 10:58 PM
controlling the rebounding battles would be a good start.

+1.

midnightpulp
06-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Over/under on the duration of spur fan butthurtedness?

Hell yeah I'm butthurt. Now that Duncan is transitioning into "shell of his former self mode" I would absolutely love Gasol on the Spurs, especially if they were to get him in 07 for say Splitter, an expiring, and picks.

But make no mistake, I ain't hating. This is an appreciation thread of just how good Gasol and his Lakers are.

BadOdor
06-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Hell yeah I'm butthurt. Now that Duncan is transitioning into "shell of his former self mode" I would absolutely love Gasol on the Spurs, especially if they were to get him in 07 for say Splitter, an expiring, and picks.

But make no mistake, I ain't hating. This is an appreciation thread of just how good Gasol and his Lakers are.

I remember when spurs got dick, everyone was crowning them 2010 champs, talking about how it was a better trade than gasol, etc....

I'm sorry the spurs front office isn't as good as the lakers.

Ginobilly
06-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Him and ron ron controlled the game defensively tonight.

baseline bum
06-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Eh, WGAF? The Spurs aren't title contenders and weren't going to beat Boston in '08, so it's not like the Gasol trade cost the Spurs anything.

midnightpulp
06-03-2010, 11:04 PM
I remember when spurs got dick, everyone was crowning them 2010 champs, talking about how it was a better trade than gasol, etc....

You won't see one post from me proclaiming anything positive about Jefferson. Yeah, the Spurs FO has been asleep at the wheel for the past 5 years. The Scola gaff proved to be very costly.

baseline bum
06-03-2010, 11:08 PM

Only Laker fans were saying that.

Ginobilly
06-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Eh, WGAF? The Spurs aren't title contenders and weren't going to beat Boston in '08, so it's not like the Gasol trade cost the Spurs anything.

exactly! I don't even think the Spurs could even beat the Celtics if they switched places with Lakers in this years finals. Our front-court is too soft. Garnett/Big Baby/Wallace/Perkins would be too much for Duncan to handle. Duncan's only other reliable big would be Dice, and it wouldn't be enough.

Quit Hatin'
06-03-2010, 11:10 PM
OP gets owned anywhere he looks.

21_Dickings
06-03-2010, 11:12 PM
You forgot to mention Bynum, faggot.

Ginobilly
06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
In reality, the Garnett/Allen and Gasol trade cost the Spurs their post 2007 dynasty era. Their is no doubt in my mind that if those trades never happened, we would be seeing a SA three-peat. Boston and LA are cheaters and sold their soul to the devil. Also, the Scola trade didn't help!

midnightpulp
06-03-2010, 11:17 PM
OP gets owned anywhere he looks.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Jesus Christ, Lakers fans are illiterate beyond belief.

Is or is it not true that Gasol is a stud?

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Is or is it not true that Gasol is a stud?

not really...he kinda looks like a bird.

baseline bum
06-03-2010, 11:21 PM
In reality, the Garnett/Allen and Gasol trade cost the Spurs their post 2007 dynasty era. Their is no doubt in my mind that if those trades never happened, we would be seeing a SA three-peat. Boston and LA are cheaters and sold their soul to the devil. Also, the Scola trade didn't help!

The Spurs had no chance at a title with Ginobili playing at 30-40% in the 2008 WCF and beyond, and winning in 2009 while starting Matt Bonner? I don't see it at all. About the only move that I can point to and say that cost the Spurs at least one title was not being able to sign Derek Fisher away from LA in the summer of 1999.

midnightpulp
06-03-2010, 11:21 PM

Yeah, but there's the rub. As silly as an ostrich looks, look what happens to people when they fuck with them.

A pissed off ostrich would make prime Mike Tyson its bitch.

Quit Hatin'
06-03-2010, 11:22 PM
derek fisher is a laker for life. ya he took a break, but his heart always belonged in LA.

Ginobilly
06-03-2010, 11:23 PM

A California Condor who will eat you after his partner in crime, Kobe= The Raptor, zooms in for the kill from up above.

Koolaid_Man
06-03-2010, 11:27 PM

We don't want your appreciation...there's no more room on the bandwagon I've sawed the tree branch behind me so you can fall in the river now buhbye loser...now go do you a River Walk...down that bayou you guys call a river...

SomeCallMeTim
06-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Yeah, but there's the rub. As silly as an ostrich looks, look what happens to people when they fuck with them.

I'd pay to see that PPV.

Say, Don King and an ostrich share similar hairdos, too.

21_Dickings
06-03-2010, 11:29 PM
We don't want your appreciation...there's no more room on the bandwagon I've sawed the tree branch behind me so you can fall in the river now buhbye loser...now go do you a River Walk...down that bayou you guys call a river...

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx261/OGBobbyJohsonOWNsKoolaidman/tombstone.jpg?

midnightpulp
06-03-2010, 11:32 PM

You should start about a thread about that.

DAF86
06-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Why do "Lakers" fans get mad when someone says that Gasol is a good player?

Oh, Gee!!
06-04-2010, 08:47 AM

:whine

chubster
06-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Why do Spurs fans love to bring it up after every Lakers victory?

Muser
06-04-2010, 08:50 AM

No, the Spurs cost themselves any chance at a title.

DAF86
06-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Why do Spurs fans love to bring it up after every Lakers victory?

What do you care? We're still praising one of your players. Besides Gasol has been a recurrent topic on this board since he joined the Lakers, in wins, losses and when there aren't any games.

chubster
06-04-2010, 09:05 AM
What do you care? We're still praising one of your players. Besides Gasol has been a recurrent topic on this board since he joined the Lakers, in wins, losses and when there aren't any games.
Why is that exactly?

DAF86
06-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Why is that exactly?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/recurrent

chubster
06-04-2010, 09:16 AM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/recurrent
The purpose of the universal question "why" seems to elude you.

DAF86
06-04-2010, 09:18 AM
The purpose of the universal question "why" seems to elude you.

I saw what :lol

Why? Because the Lakers are a popular team and Gasol is a great player.

JamStone
06-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Good game for Pau = non Laker fan and/or Kobe hater Gasol suckfest
Bad game for Pau = Kobe fan kicking and screaming how Kobe carries the soft ass Lakers

And rinse cycle.

pauls931
06-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Ironic how dubious trades are f'ing over the NBA for years. Fortunately, this should be the last year of LA vs Boston.

4>0rings
06-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Some good boxing out would cut his stats in half.

duncan228
06-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Feel his fury: Gasol pushes back (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-gasolgarnett060410)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

Pau Gasol never forgets the way Kevin Garnett belittled and humiliated him, treating the European’s arrival to the NBA as an invitation to berate him with sharp words and sharper elbows. Gasol hates Garnett for it, they will tell you. There’s a visceral disdain that’s stayed with the Los Angeles Lakers star, an obsession that goes beyond beating Garnett, but embarrassing him.

When Gasol grabbed a rebound over Garnett late in the Lakers’ 102-89 Game 1 victory, missed a shot, grabbed the ball again and laid it into the basket, he couldn’t help himself. Out of nowhere, out of character, Gasol flexed his arms and screamed into the Staples Center din. It was an unmistakable mimic of K.G., a sarcastic ode to a bully he vows will never take his lunch money again.

Over these 2½ seasons with the Lakers, Gasol has slowly, surely, shed his inhibitions and developed a tougher, saltier shell. It comes with the way he talks, the way he carries himself and, most of all, the way he obliterates people on the court. For two years, he’s listened to everyone talk about how the Celtics pounded him in the NBA Finals, how the resistance of his 7 feet of skin and bones was futile to Garnett’s fury.

Gasol listened to it all and beat Dwight Howard and the Orlando Magic for a championship in 2009, but Game 1 of these Finals became where Gasol started to exact his revenge and transform his image forever. He gave Garnett a beating: 23 points, 14 rebounds and three blocks. All night at Staples, he gave Garnett hell.

Most of all, Gasol delivered Garnett an unmistakable message: All your yelling, chest pounding and tough-guy snarl can’t defend me anymore. As Gasol steps into his prime, a sliding Garnett will be offered no mercy, no quarter.

“He attacked us,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. “If you heard for two years what you couldn’t do, you’re probably going to come in and try to prove that. I thought Gasol proved a lot.”

Gasol is a genius in the low post with footwork and touch like no one else in the world. With Kobe Bryant dropping 30 points on the Celtics, the complement of Gasol inside makes the Lakers unbeatable. Two years later, Gasol has Andrew Bynum on the floor with him, too.

Together, they crushed the Celtics in second-chance points (16-0) and points in the paint (48-30). The Lakers walked into the Staples Center as defending champions and behaved accordingly. They hit first and again, and never stopped coming at the Celtics.

This started with Gasol, who grows so weary of the nitpicking on his toughness that forever belies the way with which his immense skill can dominate games. On the eve of Game 1, you could sense Gasol fortifying himself for the onslaught of tenacity and tumult that comes out of Garnett.

“If anything, I try to use that to motivate me and get me pissed, pissed off and really attack him,” Gasol said. “I’m not that kind of player. I don’t talk trash. I don’t need to talk to you about anything.”

So much has changed in these two years since the ’08 Finals, and much of it centers on Garnett’s advancing age and deteriorating body. Garnett was ruthless, but those days are over. He’s still a good player, but no longer great. When he needed lift to finish near the basket, he couldn’t summon it. When he needed lateral quickness to stay with Gasol, it was gone.

“I’m better than what I was tonight,” Garnett said. “I played like [expletive].”

Privately, the Celtics’ worse fears were that Garnett couldn’t make it strong to the finish. Antawn Jamison had his moments in the conference semifinals, but never outplayed Garnett. Rashard Lewis was easy for K.G. because he’s so one-dimensional catching and shooting from deep. Gasol is different, “The best post player in the world, maybe one of the most-skilled ever,” Lamar Odom said. Gasol is going to take Garnett inside and out, and show him how he’s mastered that triangle offense since his arrival to the Lakers.

When the Lakers traded for Gasol 2½ years ago, those close to him spoke of his uncertainty of stepping out of the small-market Memphis shadows and into the bright lights, big stage of Los Angeles. As much as anything, Bryant made Gasol’s toughness and resolve a project of his. He worked him over mentally and physically in practices. Kobe destroyed him with a hard screen in a USA-Spain game at the 2008 Olympics, a reminder that what Gasol had given him in those NBA Finals wasn’t nearly enough.

Between then and now, Gasol has become one of the 10 best players on the planet, an NBA champion, but his work won’t be done until he makes Garnett and these Celtics treat him with respect. He remembers how Garnett mistreated him, how far over the line he went to belittle his Spaniard brethren, Jose Calderon of the Toronto Raptors.

Gasol isn’t just chasing a championship in these Finals, but retribution. He’s going to score and rebound over Garnett, scream in his face and exact every bit of retribution that he believes is owed him. Pau Gasol wants his lunch money back, and he’s coming for Kevin Garnett now, coming with a vengeance.

mingus
06-04-2010, 04:53 PM
i thought the Magic at one point could, but they proved to be a dissapointment. Celts are big enough to contain LA's frontcourt, but their guys have to step up. the Celts played with a total lack of energy yesterday. there was no fight in them. when it's all said and done, LA will take it in 6, but i don't think game 1 is an indication of how the series will go. the Celts can play a lot better than that.

aside from that, i guess nobody. the Spurs bring over Splitter next year and they might have frontcourt that can match up with LA's, but that's a long time from now.

TampaDude
06-04-2010, 04:53 PM

Because we're not giving props to the rapist. :lol

DeadlyDynasty
06-04-2010, 04:55 PM

:lol
We'll see if Pau continues to man up in this series...for now I'll stay cautiously optimistic

Venti Quattro
06-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Come on Pau, continue toying around with that fake thug Garnett. You and we know that he backs down when he finds his match.