06-04-2010, 03:04 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_anthony_randolph.jpg

Born: Jul 15, 1989
Height: 6-10 / 2.08
Weight: 210 lbs. / 95.3 kg.
College: Louisiana State
Years Pro: 1
Current team: Golden State Warriors

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/anthony_randolph/career_stats.html)

lurker23
06-04-2010, 05:50 AM
Randolph's name has come up before in discussions on this board, so I figured I'd start a dedicated thread to him. If the Spurs were to use an expiring contract to try to obtain Randolph (notably Richard Jefferson's expiring deal), then many have felt the "price" of such a transaction would be taking back Corey Maggette's long-term contract ($9,600,000, $10,262,069, and $10,924,138 the next three years). I feel the price would probably be even higher, but it might be worth discussing.

Here's a recent article on Randolph:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5248951

The Minnesota Timberwolves and Golden State Warriors have had discussions about a trade that would send forward Anthony Randolph to the Timberwolves, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the talks.

No trade is imminent, but the Timberwolves have strong interest in acquiring the 20-year-old Randolph. The Warriors, who own the sixth pick in this year's NBA draft, would like to move up to get a higher selection. Minnesota has the fourth pick.

The 6-10 Randolph, who left LSU after one season, played only 33 games last season, averaging 11.6 points and 6.5 rebounds before suffering a season-ending ankle injury.

In December, ESPN.com reported that the Warriors had interest in dealing Randolph and that the team and representatives of Randolph had met to discuss concerns over Randolph's playing time. The team reportedly was unhappy with his maturity.

"If Golden State wants to trade Anthony, we're not opposed to that," his agent, Bill Duffy, said in December. "He hasn't asked for or demanded a trade, but if the Warriors feel it would be beneficial to them to trade him, we wouldn't be opposed to that at all."

Golden State has asked a high price for Randolph in the past. A team source said that continues to be the case.

Minnesota is high on Randolph and has been monitoring his offseason workouts in Dallas, his hometown. Randolph, who weighed 210 pounds last season, has added 20 pounds of muscle, according to two sources.

The discussions between the two clubs took place last week when several teams, including the Warriors, sent representatives to Minnesota to watch 42 potential draft picks work out at the Timberwolves' practice facility.

Mr Bones
06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
When asked what the Lakers' greatest strength was recently, Phil Jackson said, "our length." It's an unglamorous and honest answer, and it points to the problems that the Spurs had last season being a team that often was length challenged. The Spurs have a lot of players with great attitudes and heart, but at a certain point it's just too hard to overcome a cluster of size disadvantages: having a SG/SF/PF configuration of Hill/Jefferson/Blair is asking too much (IMO) and almost setting them up to fail. Duncan at this point is the only Spur getting significant minutes who can be labeled as having outstanding length for his position-- other than Tim, the best the Spurs have is average size (aside from Hill's wingspan when playing the point). If Splitter comes this summer, that will be a great help, but I'd love to see at least one more roster change that results in a length mismatch that would benefit the Spurs.

Randolph playing the Lamar Odom role would help the Spurs greatly... but what would they be willing to part with to get him? Blair?

lmbebo
06-04-2010, 03:38 PM
I concur. I don't think getting Iguodala would really help us on the offensive end. He's a running player like Jefferson, just younger and more talented. Defensively he's much better.

i'm all for targeting Randolph though.

mountainballer
06-04-2010, 05:55 PM
according to DX twitter there are probably trade talks between GSW and Minny about Anthony Randolph for Kevin Love.

Muser
06-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Randolph would be perfect, guy would be a stud under a good coach.

macdude06
06-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Would love to trade for this guy..

SenorSpur
06-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Since Pop is so addicted to the "stretch 4"-type player, it's makes me wonder why he doesn't leverage his relationship with Nellie and go after Randolph? Is there something about him that we don't know?

Blackjack
06-24-2010, 12:54 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oxbuA5BxEEE/S5CjbS8-jrI/AAAAAAAABUQ/4iRrHHs3n9k/s320/billy_madison_1.jpg

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO talented.

What him in Spurs jersey . . . .

Chieflion
06-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Since Pop is so addicted to the "stretch 4"-type player, it's makes me wonder why he doesn't leverage his relationship with Nellie and go after Randolph? Is there something about him that we don't know?

Anthony Randolph is not a stretch 4. His shot is very inconsistent even up till now. He doesn't even take an average of a 3 per game and shoots 20% from 3.

Mr Bones
06-24-2010, 02:04 AM
A package of Blair/Hairston/20th pick works financially for a trade, and I'd do that in a second. Randolph was originally thought of as a SF/PF combo but last season the Warriors experimented with putting him at the center spot... but that's the Warriors. Imagine him at the 3 spot with Duncan and Splitter at the 4 & 5. That would be the longest defensive frontcourt in the NBA. A package of Blair/Hill works too.

EricD
06-24-2010, 02:31 AM
Thug written all over him..

No thanks!

5in10
06-24-2010, 03:01 AM
I would trade Blair and the 20 for him.

taps
06-24-2010, 03:34 AM
Anthony,

do you have anymore gum?

-Spurs

Johnny RIngo
06-24-2010, 05:09 AM
according to DX twitter there are probably trade talks between GSW and Minny about Anthony Randolph for Kevin Love.

If it's going to take a Kevin Love type of talent to pry away Randolph then the Spurs probably have no shot at acquiring him.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2010, 11:49 AM
arent the warriors also trading monte

umm looks like they wanna rebuild around curry

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Only reason I see Monta being traded is if it is a salary dump. In which case I would trade TP + pick 20 for Monta and Randolph.

monta is worst ballhog in the league and work ethic

macdude06
06-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Didnt want to start a new thread but:
Per roto world..

It sounds as if the Warriors are trying to trade Andris Biedrins this summer.
He was an injury disaster last season but had abdominal surgery and should come back healthy. Monta Ellis is also said to be on the block, as new ownership and a new coach also appear to be coming down the pipeline for the Warriors. One thing's for sure, and that's that the team is not actively looking to move Stephen Curry.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Randolph would be perfect, guy would be a stud under a good coach.

This. Randolph has the talent to be a superstar - the question is, will he listen to the coach enough to become all he can be? I'd love to see what Pop and Timmy could do with this kid... but it is unlikely given that we have no assets to trade for him.

ChuckD
06-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Didnt want to start a new thread but:
Per roto world..

It sounds as if the Warriors are trying to trade Andris Biedrins this summer.
He was an injury disaster last season but had abdominal surgery and should come back healthy. Monta Ellis is also said to be on the block, as new ownership and a new coach also appear to be coming down the pipeline for the Warriors. One thing's for sure, and that's that the team is not actively looking to move Stephen Curry.

Biedrens is horrible, even when healthy, and I never in my life thought I would say this, but Monta Ellis is a worse chucker than Allan Iverson. I'd hang myself if the Spurs traded for either of them.

ChuckD
06-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Anthony Randolph is not a stretch 4. His shot is very inconsistent even up till now. He doesn't even take an average of a 3 per game and shoots 20% from 3.

Before this past season, Channing Frye was a career 20/70 from 3 point range, for a whopping 28.5% over four seasons. This past season he broke out with 171/392 for 44%.

Randolph does have a nice jumper, and we have Chip Englland on staff.

Bruno
06-27-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm amazed by all the talk about Randolph why Spurs have no shot at all of getting him. The 0.1% chance they had was in a Maggette trade and it's now over.

DPG21920
06-27-2010, 04:09 PM
So you think if the Spurs wanted Randolph, they could easily obtain him?

Bruno
06-27-2010, 04:21 PM
So you think if the Spurs wanted Randolph, they could easily obtain him?

No, Spurs can't get him.

DPG21920
06-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Ahh, I see. I mean, they might be able to get him if G.S. is really interested in moving Monte or Biedrins, but it is doubtful. Plus, I don't think the Spurs take on a long-term contract in order to do anything.

Bruno
11-20-2010, 10:25 AM
If Randolph continue to suck and be in D'Antoni's doghouse, he could be very quickly available at a low price. :stirpot:

EricB
11-22-2010, 08:43 AM
From what I read about him from the Knicks writers, he seems lazy, passive, and has a general malaise. Not a fan.

Bruno
11-22-2010, 05:34 PM
He has obviously a lot of red flags around him but also a lot of upside.

He is a gamble and if the price is right, Spurs should take it. For example, I would welcome trading the sandwich blogger for Randolph.

cd98
11-22-2010, 05:42 PM
If you can't get crazy good stats in D'Antoni's system, then you suck. Randolph had a chance to prove himself in NY, but he is looking like a bust.

We talk about upside. But what is upside for a player like that? My take: moves from 12th man to 10th man on a nonplayoff team. I'd rather have Bonnor of 2010-11.

yavozerb
11-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Randolph has only played in up tempo teams (GSW and NYK) since arriving to the NBA. Maybe the kid needs a team who is little more organized and structured on both ends of the floor. If his value did get low I gurantee alot of teams would be ahead of the spurs though in trying to trade for him cause of his age.

mountainballer
11-22-2010, 06:24 PM
If you can't get crazy good stats in D'Antoni's system, then you suck. Randolph had a chance to prove himself in NY, but he is looking like a bust.

We talk about upside. But what is upside for a player like that? My take: moves from 12th man to 10th man on a nonplayoff team. I'd rather have Bonnor of 2010-11.

what means "had a chance"? the season is just about 3 weeks old. it's not that he has played there for D'Antoni for 3 years.
however, he doesn't look good in NY and most of his struggle might be caused by himself. his trade value should be at an all time low.
on the other hand: he is still only 21 and does offer crazy talent combined with terrific length and terrific athleticism. his theoretically upside is still all-star and not just 10th man. if you are a top team and therefore constantly pick at the end and you get the chance to acquire such a player for the assets you can offer (like a 1st round pick) you need to take that risk IMO.
I trust the Spurs coaches to be able to reform that guy. (a similar case like Donte Greene would be). the skill set he offers would be a perfect compliment to the other young Spurs players.

DPG21920
11-22-2010, 07:20 PM
It is always so hard to evaluate players, especially when they are struggling or when they are injured. Things can change so quickly in the NBA. I think they would definitely entertain Bonner for him, but I really don't think the Spurs would do that.

Spursfanfromafar
11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
I saw him briefly in a game and for about 10 minutes, it was all about taking awfully poor shots with defenders all about him, and keeping on forcing the play rather than passing when it demanded or playing the percentages. Having said that, he was doing well with rebounding and was quick to the paint.

Seemed to be a player very low on confidence and trying to impress himself by taking up bad shots.

baseline bum
11-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Stephen Jackson once had a jackass coach give up on him, and look how that worked out for the Spurs. I'd love to steal Randolph from those morons.

mountainballer
11-23-2010, 05:35 AM
Randolph is also a bit the victim of the development of Chandler and the sensational play from rookie Landry Fields. D'Antoni prefers to go with at least one combo forward in the line up and now either Gallinari, Chandler and even Fields can fill that role. and currently each of them is much better than Randolph. and obviously Randolph struggles to deal with this situation.

however, I really wonder what the asking price from the Knicks could be. they won't get a lottery pick back (this is what they would like to get). can't see them trade Randolph just for a #30 pick. and it will take an expiring contract, that helps them to clear another 3 million (Randolph salary for 2011-12) for 2011 free agency, when they might need as much cap space as they can create to sign Melo.

so or so, IMO Spurs are not in the position to trade for him, unless a 3rd team is involved.

objective
11-23-2010, 06:32 AM
I saw him briefly in a game and for about 10 minutes, it was all about taking awfully poor shots with defenders all about him, and keeping on forcing the play rather than passing when it demanded or playing the percentages. Having said that, he was doing well with rebounding and was quick to the paint.

Seemed to be a player very low on confidence and trying to impress himself by taking up bad shots.

I've seen a few Knicks games and Randolph was like that in all of them. He made low IQ plays seemingly every chance he had. I can't imagine how he'd be under Pop.

He mixes both suspect if not outright poor IQ and bad tendencies with Ian-esque injury issues. He wouldn't be in the doghouse, he'd be buried under it like a Mike Vick pooch.

Red Hawk #21
11-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Randolph would be a fine player for the Spurs, any coach that shows confidence in him and gives him a chance will be rewarded. Idk what's happened with him as of late, in GS he was a very hard worker. And he always showed signs of becoming a star.

DPG21920
11-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Well then the Spurs aren't a good place for Randolph, because I don't think Pop would show confidence in him. He would be buried on the bench.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-23-2010, 07:18 PM
I've been watching Randolph for 2 years and I hate to say it, but he looks to me like a guy who is never going to get it. I thought he was going to be a beast two years ago, but he seems unable to make good decisions or play tough enough to succeed in the NBA. He may be a late-bloomer, but there are bust signs written all over him right now.

Having said that, if we could nab him without giving much away, Pop, Tim and Dice might be just what the young man needs to straighten his head and game out and put him on the path to success.

bluebellmaniac
11-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Considering that it would take until next year, maybe two years, for someone like Randolph to pick up the Spurs system... this pickup would have to be for planning long term and not for help this season. We would have to acquire him for nothing... we are flying along and no need to give up a piece for this guy.

Pop playing a 21 year old not named Parker? (Haha, almost typed Tony...) Not gonna happen.... Now if Pop could send him to Europe for 3 to 4 years, then HELL YES!!! ;-)

Mel_13
12-10-2010, 05:13 PM
ARandolph on dealing with benching: “I have no choice. I have to deal with it.” On whether he's confident he'll get another chance: "No."

http://twitter.com/bergenadamek

Mel_13
12-11-2010, 06:58 AM
The only simple way to trade for Randolph is to get a third team involved right? And when a third team is involved it is rarely "simple." So hopefully the Spurs could at least give Rabdolph a shot without shaking up the roster too much.

The notion that Randolph might be available is connected to NY's desire to acquire Melo and the rumors that Denver isn't crazy about Randolph and would prefer a first round pick. The Knicks can't trade a first rounder earlier than it's 2014 pick.

So...

Bonner plus 2011 first round pick for Randolph plus Walker.

Mel_13
12-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Carmelo Anthony in Knicks' sights if club is able to deal Anthony Randolph for a first-round pick

WASHINGTON - Anthony Randolph's value to the Knicks can't be measured in points and rebounds. Instead, he could be the guy who gets them Carmelo Anthony.

The Knicks have fielded calls from several Western Conference clubs regarding a deal for Randolph, according to a team source. The most compelling conversations have been with the Houston Rockets, who in one scenario would trade the Knicks the first-round pick they obtained in last year's Tracy McGrady deal.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh has admitted publicly that he regrets trading that pick and has been trying for two months to acquire a 2011 first-rounder. The pick is critical if the Knicks want to acquire Anthony, who is likely to be traded by the February deadline.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/12/11/2010-12-11_carmelo_anthony_in_knicks_sights_if_club_is_abl e_to_deal_anthony_randolph_for_a_.html

Bruno
12-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Bonner + 1st for Randolph + filler would be a great trade for Spurs.

Sadly, Pop is in love with Bonner for some crazy reasons and I doubt Spurs would be ready to trade Bonner.

DPG21920
12-11-2010, 01:15 PM
I just do not see any way the Spurs move Bonner for a guy like Randolph. In the Spurs system, Bonner's skill set is much more valuable than if you view his skills in isolation. The fact Bonner continues to get big time minutes combined with the fact he is actually hitting shots at an extremely high clip means the Spurs would not move a guy like Bonner for a guy like Randolph who would never get in the rotation this year.

MaNu4Tres
12-11-2010, 01:30 PM
I just do not see any way the Spurs move Bonner for a guy like Randolph. In the Spurs system, Bonner's skill set is much more valuable than if you view his skills in isolation. The fact Bonner continues to get big time minutes combined with the fact he is actually hitting shots at an extremely high clip means the Spurs would not move a guy like Bonner for a guy like Randolph who would never get in the rotation this year.

This.

Randolph may be a very talented young player, but sometimes talent alone doesn't necessarily fit the Spurs. See Ron Mercer.

As it is right now, any proposal involving Bonner for a fringe rotation player makes absolutely no sense in the world

Blackjack
12-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Looks like AR may be headed to Houston for the Knicks' first-rounder they picked up in the T-Mac trade (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/11/knicks-rockets-talking-swap-for-anthony-randolph-first-rounder/).

Which means probability for Spurs netting Chandler, Fields or whomever's been mentioned on here as someone they could get as a third-party member in a 'Melo deal, would take a huge hit.

MaNu4Tres
12-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Looks like AR may be headed to Houston for the Knicks' first-rounder they picked up in the T-Mac trade (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/11/knicks-rockets-talking-swap-for-anthony-randolph-first-rounder/).

Which means probability for Spurs netting Chandler, Fields or whomever's been mentioned on here as someone they could get as a third-party member in a 'Melo deal, would take a huge hit.

Smart trade for Houston. Houston has no reason to swap 1st rounders with NY (Rockets option from T-Mac trade) for this upcoming draft as the Knicks are looking like a playoff-team and Rockets are not.

So my assumption is that the Rockets are trading the Knicks 2012 first rounder that they received from the T-Mac trade for Randolph, which is pretty smart IMO.

Knicks are looking like a playoff team this year, which will likely be the same case for next year as well-- As the Knicks will have all their main pieces returning next year and around 15 million in cap space to add quality free agent(s)-- Factoring this fact with the fact that the 5th-8th spots in the East have been notably terrible the past decade ( meaning Knicks shouldn't have a problem getting one of these spots)-- It makes it easy to figure the Rockets would net the 15th-21st pick in the 2012 Draft, if they were to keep the pick.

Using that 2012 pick (15th-21st) for Randolph is pretty wise move, as Randolph will most likely be the better prospect than whoever is picked in that 15-21 range.

Morey :tu ( If it goes through)

Mel_13
12-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Morey :tu ( If it goes through)

Morey is overrated.

Bruno
12-11-2010, 03:15 PM
It's weird that Matt is playing so well that there isn't much of a way I can see the Spurs trade him.

Bonner hasn't played well this year. He has been bad at everything except shooting 3's. For example his PER is worse this year than in 08-09 and 09-10.

Trading away Bonner would be an addition by subtraction. It would open minutes for Splitter, who unless Bonner plays some defense and isn't a choker.

DPG21920
12-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Sure, in our minds Bruno, but obviously not in Pops. If Bonner is hitting 3's, which he is, then he is playing well because that is what they pay him to do.

Bruno
12-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Sure, in our minds Bruno, but obviously not in Pops. If Bonner is hitting 3's, which he is, then he is playing well because that is what they pay him to do.

While Bonner main quality is shooting 3's, Spurs don't pay him only to do that.

What I'm saying is that Bonner has been worse than in previous years in the other areas of his game. For example, it's his worst rebounding year. Bonner is rebounding at the same level than Gary Neal. He is also 6-28 form inside the arc.

Bonner was better last year than this year because he was less an one trick pony. That's the reason why he got $11M and a player like Steve Novak got the min.

DPG21920
12-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Well even though it has gotten worse in some areas, those areas were never good to begin with. I find it hard to believe the Spurs paid him so much because he was marginally better than a player like Novak in some areas that were still by all accounts well below average.

angelbelow
12-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Not sure how I feel about acquiring AR. Not that its realistic... but AR as an athlete and based on potential; theres no way you dont trade Bonner for him. But he appears to have some severe maturity and work ethic issues. Hes the type of player that Don Nelson should have been in love with, yet he was benched for half the game. In New York, Im not sure if its cause they have Amare but AR is pretty much buried on the bench as well..

yavozerb
12-12-2010, 09:48 AM
While Bonner main quality is shooting 3's, Spurs don't pay him only to do that.

What I'm saying is that Bonner has been worse than in previous years in the other areas of his game. For example, it's his worst rebounding year. Bonner is rebounding at the same level than Gary Neal. He is also 6-28 form inside the arc.

Bonner was better last year than this year because he was less an one trick pony. That's the reason why he got $11M and a player like Steve Novak got the min.

Bonners spot on the floor in beyond the arc (usually next to neal) where he can stretch the defense, so how exactly do you expect him to put up good rebound numbers? You can say what you want about his contract, but answer me this, out of all the bigs the spurs have, who shoots 3's better than bonner? Hell, let me reword this, what NBA bigs are shooting better than Bonner from the arc currently?

Bruno
12-12-2010, 11:25 AM
His role is to shoot 3s. Not rebound, not play defense, not create shots for others, but shoot 3s. For once Pop has given him a role in which he can do what he does, and is only on the floor at the end of games if he is shooting well. Because he is shooting so well and spreads the floor (the only thing the Spurs ask him to do) he is valuable and a hard player to part with at the moment.

It isn't football where a kicker or a punter can suck at everything else except kicking/punting the ball.
Being a great shooter isn't enough to be a good NBA player. You need to be decent in the other areas of your game to be good player. Bonner hasn't had this decent level this year. Bonner was better last year.

Bonners spot on the floor in beyond the arc (usually next to neal) where he can stretch the defense, so how exactly do you expect him to put up good rebound numbers?

Being a bad offensive re bounder would be understandable but he is even a worse defensive rebounder.

You can say what you want about his contract, but answer me this, out of all the bigs the spurs have, who shoots 3's better than bonner? Hell, let me reword this, what NBA bigs are shooting better than Bonner from the arc currently?

And?
Do you think that defense, rebounding, drawing fouls... doesn't matter?

ohmwrecker
12-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Even if Pop was more confident in Splitter, I just don't see the Spurs considering that trade. Pop would be reluctant to give Randolph much time and neither he nor Splitter would be able replicate Bonner's limited, but very specific, role in the Spurs offense.
Like it or not, the Spurs are very unlikely to get back a player via trade that would, in Pop's mind, replace Bonner's role in the offense. Unfortunately, barring something like Tayshaun Prince being bought out by the Pistons, I don't see a whole lot of options for the Spurs that will improve the team significantly.

objective
12-12-2010, 02:27 PM
While I agree with Bruno, I must accept that Bonner is here to stay and be in the rotation no matter what. Which is a bad thing.

Even the supposed "only play him as long as he's hitting threes" theory is busted because even if he's missed everything there's the chance that he could hit late like against the T-Wolves.

Bonner is etched in stone as a Spurs fixture.

And with that, there's not really the kind of salary flexibility under the current CBA for the Spurs to get Randolph. Maybe McDyess and a first for Randolph and Azubuike's expiring broken legs which aren't playing anytime soon.

ChuckD
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Randolph isn't someone the Spurs would ever trade for. They would only sign him if he were cast onto the scrap heap, a la Stephen Jackson. His attitude is so bad, they'd need to be able to cast him off at no cost if he didn't work out.

Ocotillo
12-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Randolph isn't someone the Spurs would ever trade for. They would only sign him if he were cast onto the scrap heap, a la Stephen Jackson. His attitude is so bad, they'd need to be able to cast him off at no cost if he didn't work out.

This.

We could only hope that may happen. Now is not the time to try and get hinm in a trade. Randolph would be a future piece if he develops. If he was obtained this year, it's likely he would rarely see the floor due to not being familiar with the system.

He would need a camp and most of a season to become a contributor.

Right now, the Duncan/Ginobili window is nearing closing. The team is playing well and shows room for improvement plus Anderson will likely be back around the all star break, you just don't move a piece to invest in the future in a season like this. I would love to move Bonner for Randolph and roll the dice that he evolves to a stud to play with Parker, Hill, Splitter and Blair but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Spursfanfromafar
12-13-2010, 12:56 AM
The thing about Bonner is that he is not just a three point shooter like Steve Novak. But he is about the best three point shooter in the league right now with set feet and catch and shoot ability. And combine that with this size and the "spreading the floor" ability, he has been a factor in the Spurs' offense and has played his part in some easy wins. He does have a lot of liabilities. But if we exchange him for Randolph, I would have to see what Randolph brings to the table.

From the little of what I saw, AR brings a load of nonsense on the floor. Poor positioning, taking extremely bad shots, screwing up the offense, knowing nothing about spacing and just playing his own game. Coaches like Pop hate such players.

Bonner on the other hand, from what I see, has been quite smooth in his fitting with the offense. He moves around the baseline looking for space and keeps his eye for the pass from the paint and if he does not have a good shot, generally passes on to the next perimeter shooter. He also has the ability to fake his shot and draws defenders that way. In other words, he is a good fit for the offense. His defensive performances have been up and down all season, but whenever he rebounds well, he helps the team.

AR has more skill on paper than Bonner. Passing ability, athletic build, easy rebounding skills and post skills. But they are merely on paper and I am sure the Spurs don't want to take on a project rather than winning now.

I think as the season progresses, Splitter will play more and more eating into Bonner and McDyess' minutes. And in limited spot minutes, I would prefer Bonner over Randolph.

Blackjack
12-13-2010, 03:02 PM
You can't look at a trade for AR including Bonner as a one-for-one. As in, you lose one and the other's supposed to step into and fill his role.

What you're doing is acquiring a player that may or may not do much if anything this year, but just may turn into a real star down the road -- given the quality of the franchise he'd be coming to. Getting rid of Bonner would push Splitter up the depth chart, and that's why I'd do it in a heartbeat.

What Bonner does, as fruitful as it may seem during the regular season and in a +/-, is not something the Spurs have relied upon in the past to win championships, nor should they rely upon it now to win championships. They don't need a 3-point-shooting, one-trick-pony 4 -- they don't have the rebounding or shotblocking at the wing to compensate for it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: a championship-caliber team needs specialists, so long as what they specialize in is what the the team lacks. Bonner is their only 3-point shooting 4, true. But losing him won't lead to this team lacking when it comes to championship aspiration.

Spursfanfromafar
12-13-2010, 10:17 PM
You can't look at a trade for AR including Bonner as a one-for-one. As in, you lose one and the other's supposed to step into and fill his role.

What you're doing is acquiring a player that may or may not do much if anything this year, but just may turn into a real star down the road -- given the quality of the franchise he'd be coming to. Getting rid of Bonner would push Splitter up the depth chart, and that's why I'd do it in a heartbeat.

What Bonner does, as fruitful as it may seem during the regular season and in a +/-, is not something the Spurs have relied upon in the past to win championships, nor should they rely upon it now to win championships. They don't need a 3-point-shooting, one-trick-pony 4 -- they don't have the rebounding or shotblocking at the wing to compensate for it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: a championship-caliber team needs specialists, so long as what they specialize in is what the the team lacks. Bonner is their only 3-point shooting 4, true. But losing him won't lead to this team lacking when it comes to championship aspiration.

That is more theoretical than played out from facts. What I see is Randolph's play and Bonner's play. As of now, the former is rugged and mostly nonsense, while the latter fits a need.

Blackjack
12-14-2010, 12:21 AM
That is more theoretical than played out from facts. What I see is Randolph's play and Bonner's play. As of now, the former is rugged and mostly nonsense, while the latter fits a need.

No, that's simply the rationale. A team with championship aspirations isn't going to trade for Randolph and expect him to play the role Bonner will most likely be tasked with (as unfortunate as it is that he'll be tasked with it).

Randolph is about the future. He's a low-risk, high-reward acquisition. Trading for him means you believe in Splitter and the ability to win playing the way you did in '03 on the frontline -- a formula that has proven to be championship-worthy.

Spursfanfromafar
12-14-2010, 12:40 AM
No, that's simply the rationale. A team with championship aspirations isn't going to trade for Randolph and expect him to play the role Bonner will most likely be tasked with (as unfortunate as it is that he'll be tasked with it).

Randolph is about the future. He's a low-risk, high-reward acquisition. Trading for him means you believe in Splitter and the ability to win playing the way you did in '03 on the frontline -- a formula that has proven to be championship-worthy.

Except Splitter is a rookie and is still learning the system...and considering that the Spurs are 20-3 with Bonner's helping (as minuscule as it is), I wouldn't want to upset the applecart as yet. Randolph is a knucklehead thus far and high risk answering no present need in this year's championship quest.

Blackjack
12-14-2010, 02:31 AM
Except Splitter is a rookie and is still learning the system...and considering that the Spurs are 20-3 with Bonner's helping (as minuscule as it is), I wouldn't want to upset the applecart as yet. Randolph is a knucklehead thus far and high risk answering no present need in this year's championship quest.

I was solely speaking to the rationale and not as a proponent of the trade.

Having said that, it becomes painfully more obvious by the day that Pop and the Spurs value Bonner more than they should and that they don't plan on allowing him to just be a quality situational player for when the games really count. So if the Spurs should happen to unload him for Randolph now, I'd be more than fine with it. Tiago's more than capable of being the team's 3rd or 4th big in the rotation -- Duncan, 'Dyess, Blair, Splitter and Randolph in a situational role is a much better scenario to me than Bonner as their 3rd big and Splitter being the Spurs' '05 Oberto.

It ain't about a great start or regular-season record. We're talking big picture, and Bonner currently has too prominent of a role in it (and that's not a knock against Bonner but the position his coaches have put him in).

EricD
12-14-2010, 02:55 AM

Having said that, it becomes painfully more obvious by the day that Pop and the Spurs value Bonner more than they should and that they don't plan on allowing him to just be a quality situational player for when the games really count. So if the Spurs should happen to unload him for Randolph now, I'd be more than fine with it. Tiago's more than capable of being the team's 3rd or 4th big in the rotation -- Duncan, 'Dyess, Blair, Splitter and Randolph in a situational role is a much better scenario to me than Bonner as their 3rd big and Splitter being the Spurs' '05 Oberto.

It ain't about a great start or regular-season record. We're talking big picture, and Bonner currently has too prominent of a role in it (and that's not a knock against Bonner but the position his coaches have put him in).

Great post :tu

SenorSpur
12-14-2010, 04:44 PM

Solid take.

Who would've ever thought that Splitter's development would be hindered by Pop's over-reliance on Bonner? For what it's worth, I agree with your points. The Spurs have enough 3-pt shooting and could get along fine without Bonner. They simply don't have enough length and defense on the wing. While any returns Randolph would provide wouldn't be realized this year, I do like him as an option going forward - much more so than Bonner. Of course, it'll never happen, though.

Darkwaters
12-15-2010, 03:25 AM
The Spurs could probably swing a trade of Chris Quinn plus the Curtis Jerrells trade exception for Randolph. A draft pick would almost certainly be required to sweeten the pot of course. If we could manage that I'd be game.

Quinn can't be traded until hes been on the team for at least 3 months though. So it can't happen just yet. But if Quinn is still here at 3 months and Randolph is still in the doghouse I'd look at it really hard.

Quinn would probably be waived anyways and could be brought back with ease if the Spurs wanted. Udoka would also bite the dust since they'd be at 14 players and his contract is non-guaranteed.

Bruno
12-15-2010, 03:48 AM
The Spurs could probably swing a trade of Chris Quinn plus the Curtis Jerrells trade exception for Randolph. A draft pick would almost certainly be required to sweeten the pot of course. If we could manage that I'd be game.

Quinn can't be traded until hes been on the team for at least 3 months though. So it can't happen just yet. But if Quinn is still here at 3 months and Randolph is still in the doghouse I'd look at it really hard.

Trade exceptions can't be packaged with players. If Spurs do a trade for Randolph, they will need to trade a player like Bonner, McDyess or Splitter.

On a side note, It's December 15th. Bonner can now be traded.

jjktkk
12-15-2010, 04:38 AM

Very good points. But we all know Bonner isn't going anywhere. IMO though ,this team is different than even last years team, in regards to more offensive firepower. I believe come playoff time, that Pop will have Bonner on a shorter leash than in previous years, due to Jefferson's noticeable offensive improvement from last year, along with Hill, Neal, and hopefully Anderson. Couple that with Blair recentl showing signs of coming out of his early season funk and Splitter, and Pop(hopefully) shouldn't fill compelled to keep Bonner on the floor when hes not producing on offense.

Darkwaters
12-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Trade exceptions can't be packaged with players. If Spurs do a trade for Randolph, they will need to trade a player like Bonner, McDyess or Splitter.

On a side note, It's December 15th. Bonner can now be traded.

Oh crap, you're right. Damn, that shoots that whole plot out the window.

Well, you could maybe swing a Quinn, Udoka and 1st rounder package once they're tradeable. It will be tight under the CBA, but it might work. Both of those players are non-guaranteed and could be waived immediately. Sheds a multi-year contract from the Knicks and also picks up a freebie draft pick. Considering their luck in the 2nd round and late first in recent years thats no small thing.

Darkwaters
12-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Knicks Wanted Pick Back from Houston for Randolph
Dec 15, 2010 2:58 PM EST

Daryl Morey declined the Knicks' offer to send the Rockets Anthony Randolph in exchange for the return of full rights over New York's 2011 draft pick.

Houston was granted the right to swap their own pick for New York's pick, only protected for the first overall selection, in the Tracy McGrady deal completed on deadline day last February.

New York also traded Houston its 2012 pick outright but that pick is protected for the top five selections.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70598/20101215/knicks_wanted_pick_back_from_houston_for_randolph/

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70598/20101215/knicks_wanted_pick_back_from_houston_for_randolph/#ixzz18DNoKQZc

5in10
12-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Thorpe on randolph:

VW (NYC)
Which coach could get something out of Anthony Randolph?

David Thorpe
(12:51 PM)
Pop. With TD helping a ton.

Bruno
12-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Whatever Knicks decides to do with Randolph, it's safe to say that they won't do anything before the Melo situation is solved.

ace3g
12-29-2010, 05:31 PM
The Wolves are also pushing to acquire Anthony Randolph, who is stuck on New York's bench.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70836/20101229/wolves_plan_to_make_push_for_mayo_randolph/#ixzz19XhenhFI

Darkwaters
12-29-2010, 05:39 PM
I would love to grab this guy for peanuts. But as more teams notice him I'm not sure how viable of an option that becomes.

ace3g
01-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
NYK will trade Anthony Randolph for 1st round pick within next 2 weeks, sources say. Minny, Indy, Portland among likeliest destinations

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Spurs just don't have the right pieces to get AR.

TP2150
01-14-2011, 11:23 PM
They just want a 1st round pick.

Mel_13
01-14-2011, 11:38 PM
They just want a 1st round pick.

1. They want a better first round pick

2. Salaries have to match

TP2150
01-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Would you Trade tiago and a 1st rounder? I think there looking for a team under the cap that can absorb salary without taking a player back. So that rules out the Spurs I guess.

Mel_13
01-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Would you Trade tiago and a 1st rounder? I think there looking for a team under the cap that can absorb salary without taking a player back. So that rules out the Spurs I guess.

They don't really need a team to absorb Randolph's salary this year, but they don't want to take on salary for next year. In the event that they don't trade for Melo, they'll want to create as much cap space as possible this summer. So they'll want an expiring contract(s) plus the pick.

And no, I wouldn't trade Splitter for Randolph.

lefty
01-15-2011, 11:50 PM
I went to a NYK prseason game and Randolph really looked stoned outthere

I dont think he is worth a trade TBH

ChuckD
01-16-2011, 10:25 AM
They don't really need a team to absorb Randolph's salary this year, but they don't want to take on salary for next year. In the event that they don't trade for Melo, they'll want to create as much cap space as possible this summer. So they'll want an expiring contract(s) plus the pick.

And no, I wouldn't trade Splitter for Randolph.

I'm not a Randolph proponent any longer, but he's shown WAY more NBA skills than Tiago has, even in his first season, even in Nellie's doghouse.