PDA

View Full Version : Who here did not watch the game?

pauls931
06-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Am I the only one? I pretty much have no interest in either team obviously hoping for the Suns from the West or Orlando from the East. Another thing that turned me off is the hype including videos of Bird vs Magic. Not this crap again.... When it comes to an elimination game curiousity will probably get the best of me.

D2Procon
06-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Me. I have no interest whatsoever in watching these two teams play. I just look at the box scores.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100311204211AApyxUZ

KidCongo
06-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Myself.

Chieflion
06-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Watched half of it. Then I realized the refs were humping each other all night long, then I stopped watching.

Giuseppe
06-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Celtics/Lakers ('80s) will never happen again. Erecting a bridge twixt then and now is silly. The hatreds came natural then. They're pre-packaged now.

Then you could have the best team and still lose. That rarely happens anymore and hasn't for a while. Boston kicked our ass in '08. We kicked their ass last night. That kind of clarity does not lend itself to interpretation like the '80s battles. The officiating straightened up. The road is no longer death valley. And '85 was the break point. Earl Strom calling McHale for his 6th mid way thru the fourth quarter (Game 6) in Boston was a watermark for the NBA.

TheManFromAcme
06-04-2010, 10:48 AM
:depressed

It sucked that I couldn't catch the game. Got called in for work at about 8:30 Got to see about 15 minutes of the game.

Got home about 11:45 to catch some highlights.
Turning off the cell phone on Sunday. Gonna watch that one!! :toast

TheManFromAcme
06-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Celtics/Lakers ('80s) will never happen again. Erecting a bridge twixt then and now is silly. The hatreds came natural then. They're pre-packaged now.

Then you could have the best team and still lose. That rarely happens anymore and hasn't for a while. Boston kicked our ass in '08. We kicked their ass last night. That kind of clarity does not lend itself to interpretation like the '80s battles. The officiating straightened up. The road is no longer death valley. And '85 was the break point. Earl Strom calling McHale for his 6th mid way thru the fourth quarter (Game 6) in Boston was a watermark for the NBA.

Nicely put Cully....:tu

pauls931
06-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Nicely put Cully....:tu

Cully with a good post. :) I agree back then, there was real hatred between the teams and their fans. Now days it's just not there. The closest thing recently was probably Suns vs Spurs. Even that is mellowing out now that neither can contend.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-04-2010, 11:04 AM
I turned it off once I knew LA would win. I could care less who wins, it's not like Phoenix is catching either team in championships anytime soon, but it was just bad basketball because the refs kept calling fouls and prevented any kind of flow or rhythm. LA deserved the win, they played well and Boston played like shit, but I was just hoping for better basketball.

Giuseppe
06-04-2010, 11:06 AM
You knew it was for real when McHale clotheslined Rambis and there was an honest debate whether McHale should have done that or not.:wow

TDMVPDPOY
06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
i havnt watch a basketball game since the end of the spurs/mavs series....

for some reason im not into watchin the whole game as compared to soccer which i can sit through the whole game

Giuseppe
06-04-2010, 11:16 AM
I turned it off once I knew LA would win. I could care less who wins, it's not like Phoenix is catching either team in championships anytime soon, but it was just bad basketball because the refs kept calling fouls and prevented any kind of flow or rhythm. LA deserved the win, they played well and Boston played like shit, but I was just hoping for better basketball.

There's maximum control now. And we're getting that because we (Americans) demanded it. Americans don't like to see grown men fist fighting in public. That's why professional rasslin' is so popular, as is the cage fighting. It's controlled, merciful, goodness personafied.

The hammer & tong Celtics & Lakers of the '80s, followed closely by the Pistons thuggery and the Jordan Rules on into the crescendo at Auburn Hills has brought us here, to a sanitized product enhancement. Evolution on demand.

It's like the father in the motion picture "Friday" explaining to his son about the difference between the use of fists & guns. NY. and the NBA perceived the product was starting to loiter "guns," so they took the "guns" away and the fists, put a cop and a camera on every single corner.

TheManFromAcme
06-04-2010, 11:22 AM
There's maximum control now. And we're getting that because we (Americans) demanded it. Americans don't like to see grown men fist fighting in public. That's why professional rasslin' is so popular, as is the cage fighting. It's controlled, merciful, goodness personafied.

The hammer & tong Celtics & Lakers of the '80s, followed closely by the Pistons thuggery and the Jordan Rules on into the crescendo at Auburn Hills has brought us here, to a sanitized product enhancement. Evolution on demand.

It's like the father in the motion picture "Friday" explaining to his son about the difference between the use of fists & guns. NY. and the NBA perceived the product was starting to loiter "guns," so they took the "guns" away and the fists, put a cop and a camera on every single corner.

Damn Cully,

You need your own column.
Again, good stuff. :tu

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-04-2010, 11:26 AM

I agree with all of this, but I don't think very many die hard basketball fans demanded it. The typical middle aged Scottsdale couple that goes to the game just because it's the in thing to do and not because they're basketball fans, yeah, they probably do demand it. The people who like basketball enough to be posting in an NBA forum probably for the most part hate how many fouls are called these days.

Giuseppe
06-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Damn Cully,

I tried that, and The Princess kept locking them down.:lol

TE
06-04-2010, 11:51 AM
I saw the game simultaneously as I was conducting a family BBQ. Honestly, with the way the game was officiated, I felt like I was watching a drug intervention on a severe coke addict. Waste of time, you didn't miss anything. Go figure.

lefty
06-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Am I the only one? I pretty much have no interest in either team obviously hoping for the Suns from the West or Orlando from the East. Another thing that turned me off is the hype including videos of Bird vs Magic. Not this crap again.... When it comes to an elimination game curiousity will probably get the best of me.
The worst part is when they showed Kobe doing the jaw face, right after showing Bird (during the intro)

florige
06-04-2010, 12:30 PM

While it sucks the Spurs arent't there playing I am still a fan of the game so I am going to watch. On the other hand I could care less if I miss every single World Series game if the Orioles aren't in it. And seeing how our team looks now that could be a century or two.

JoeTait75
06-04-2010, 12:40 PM

Tha part about hatreds being pre-packaged... I think you could say the same of all sports, Cully. Things have changed- maybe it's free-agency, AAU ball, whatever- but the old rivalry dislikes just aren't there anymore.

As for me, I didn't watch the game last night... but that's only because I got drunk and passed out at 8:30. :toast

florige
06-04-2010, 12:46 PM
lol how the fuck do you like the orioles. I live 30 minutes from Camden Yards but never go because the Orioles are horrendous.

Lol you arent that far from me then. I live in Baltimore and before the Ravens that is all we had. Hopefully one day we will be respectable and not laughable.

RedsLakers24
06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I was working, and im also going to work sunday, so fuck

BRHornet45
06-04-2010, 01:35 PM
son I didn't watch that crap either. you can pretty much predict what will happen. the home teams will win every game until game 6 or game 7 whenever the league decides to finish the series. If this series could be decided by the players then Boston would win in 5 games no doubt about it, but since the NBA is pushing Kobe harder than ever right now expect L.A. to win in 5 or 6.

The Franchise
06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
I actually forgot about it until I got home late and saw an update.

sexinthatsx
06-04-2010, 01:46 PM

It's pre-packages for a reason... everybody and their mom knows that it's the creation of rivalry and tension that gets the TV ratings up; what both David Stern and the American media wants is essentially a double-standard: the ability to have a heated rivalry, yet without the thuggery and dirty plays.

Damn Cully,

Damn, suck his dick some more. tee, hee.

dav4463
06-04-2010, 01:56 PM
I can't believe some of you didn't watch. The drama, the intensity, the clutch play, it was almost more than I could bear. Coupled with the Laker/Celtic mystique and the media lovefest...all I can say it WOW! This was so much more exciting than the boring Spurs/Pistons final when Horry scored 21 in the final 13 minutes of game five and hit a clutch three to win it and swing the series back to San Antonio!

And who can tire of watching West, Cousy, Russell, Jabbar, Magic, Bird, McHale, Kobe, Garnett commercials and shorts over and over and over again!....?

Giuseppe
06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
It's pre-packages for a reason... everybody and their mom knows that it's the creation of rivalry and tension that gets the TV ratings up; what both David Stern and the American media wants is essentially a double-standard: the ability to have a heated rivalry, yet without the thuggery and dirty plays.

i.e., symbolism over substance.

SanAntonioSpurs23
06-04-2010, 03:15 PM
I didn't watch either, is it NFL season yet?

lurker
06-04-2010, 03:16 PM
I watched but I don't think I'll watch the rest of the series. The refs sucked the rivalry right out of the game to the point that I almost forgot it wasn't the regular season anymore.

ffadicted
06-04-2010, 04:28 PM
No, pretty shitty matchup, I would've rather watched Nets vs. Wolves

Darrin
06-04-2010, 04:29 PM

I taped it (the old fashioned VHS way) and plan to watch it before Sunday.

siraulo23
06-04-2010, 04:44 PM
didnt watch, I couldnt, I would have...

Muser
06-04-2010, 04:46 PM
I didn't, but that's because it was 2 in the morning.

TampaDude
06-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I didn't watch either, is it NFL season yet?

^ this

Crookshanks
06-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Didn't watch - and have no plans to watch the remaining games. I dislike both teams, and have no desire to see either Kobe or KG raising the LOB trophy.