PDA

View Full Version : The reality of Kobe, Pau, and the Lakers

westcoast_spurfan
06-04-2010, 02:21 PM
I've always hated the lakers. And I feel sorry for Kobe, who is more than obsessed with basketball. It doesn't seem like he realizes that there is a world beyond it...but thats neither here nor there

Maybe the lakers win it again....but everyone should keep this in mind

Kobe is nowhere near Jordan. It suprises me time and time again that analysts don't mention that Jordan never had a good big on his team...yeah Rodman grabbed boards, horace grant was solid but not a #2......Maybe the analysts forget what its like to play basketball, but for a SG/SF having a good-great big is extremely helpful. It keeps defender's faithful and spreads the court....so the fact that Jordan did what he did without every having a a big (shaq/gasol) to dump it to just in case speaks volumes about his real skill....And you can say what you want about how Kobe would still be great....but next time you play pick up ball be on a team full of short people and tell me ur not at an inherent disadvantage...Jordan had a disadvantage his whole career after Cartwright got old and useless.

Ok now to Gasol....I can't believe how everyone is on his balls as of late. Sure he's a good player, a solid #2, who struggled to help his team as a #1.....thats the best he'll ever be. As much as having a big helps Kobe, having Kobe helps Pau tenfold. He's the interchangeable part, not the sine qua non to the lakers success.....just like kobe was the interchangeable part when shaq was around....so again the analysts need to shut the fuck up, or at least mention that Kobe drawing defenders away, and driving to the basket lets pau get those nasty ass put backs and easy tip ins...I hate when #2's are talked about like #1's....compare garnett to duncan....but gasol to duncan, mchale to duncan....are you kidding me??

Finally, the Lakers as an organization can have their championships, payroll and earnings....I take comfort in the fact that the spurs are the smallest market team to have won a championship since the blazers, the smallest market team to have ever won multiple champs since the merger....I take comfort in the fact that the Spurs don't just go out and by players based on skill but would take a player of less skill and more character.....in all aspects the Spurs are the antithesis of the Lakers and our 4 championships are far more dear to us than the Lakers' will ever be to their fan base.

Spurs NBA Champs in 2011:
subtitle: Duncan goes out a champ

Leetonidas
06-04-2010, 02:25 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/pwnjoo1/1275435638093.jpg

j.dizzle
06-04-2010, 02:26 PM
http://eatthiscity.com/wp-content/upload/1253748724-Cool_story_bro_inc.jpg

JamStone
06-04-2010, 02:45 PM
But Jordan never faced the likes of Tim Duncan and Shaq in their primes either. Hakeem didn't make it to the Finals against Jordan. And David Robinson and Patrick Ewing while great individual players weren't really on teams good enough to challenge Michael.

If Jordan faced the 2000-2002 Lakers or the 2000-2005 Spurs, could have led the Bulls to all those titles?

Why isn't it mentioned that Jordan didn't have his success until the Showtime Lakers, Bird Celtics, and Bad Boys Pistons got old?

You can add different factors to a lot of arguments to exaggerate or discredit the greatness of Jordan.

Kobe's not Jordan. People who say he's there exaggerate themselves. But it's not ridiculous to say that skill-wise and mental approach-wise, that Kobe shares similarities with Jordan. And it's not ridiculous to say that Kobe is as close as any player could be to Jordan.

It's a silly topic regardless. Nothing can be proven. Jordan's legacy is cemented. And Kobe's resume has blatant blemishes. Kobe could win 10 titles and there would still be Kobe haters claiming how Jordan never lost in the Finals or how Jordan was a better leader or how Jordan never demanded a trade (all things that can't be proven). The discussion is tired.

But there will continue to be plenty more of them...

mindcrime
06-04-2010, 03:03 PM
But Jordan never faced the likes of Tim Duncan and Shaq in their primes either. Hakeem didn't make it to the Finals against Jordan. And David Robinson and Patrick Ewing while great individual players weren't really on teams good enough to challenge Michael.

If Jordan faced the 2000-2002 Lakers or the 2000-2005 Spurs, could have led the Bulls to all those titles?

Why isn't it mentioned that Jordan didn't have his success until the Showtime Lakers, Bird Celtics, and Bad Boys Pistons got old?

You can add different factors to a lot of arguments to exaggerate or discredit the greatness of Jordan.

Kobe's not Jordan. People who say he's there exaggerate themselves. But it's not ridiculous to say that skill-wise and mental approach-wise, that Kobe shares similarities with Jordan. And it's not ridiculous to say that Kobe is as close as any player could be to Jordan.

It's a silly topic regardless. Nothing can be proven. Jordan's legacy is cemented. And Kobe's resume has blatant blemishes. Kobe could win 10 titles and there would still be Kobe haters claiming how Jordan never lost in the Finals or how Jordan was a better leader or how Jordan never demanded a trade (all things that can't be proven). The discussion is tired.

But there will continue to be plenty more of them...

Every time Michael Jordan is mentioned I can always count on you knocking Jordan while having Kobe's dick in your mouth. STFU already.

JamStone
06-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Every time Michael Jordan is mentioned I can always count on you knocking Jordan while having Kobe's dick in your mouth. STFU already.

Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player in the history of the NBA. I have always maintained that. I hated the guy. But I don't blindly say he was perfect or untouchable the way other people would have you believe.

I am a fan of Kobe. Kobe isn't in Jordan's league when you factor everything.

You can fantasize all you want about me sucking dick. I think those are your own personal issues you have to deal with.

TheMACHINE
06-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Finally, the Lakers as an organization can have their championships, payroll and earnings....I take comfort in the fact that the spurs are the smallest market team to have won a championship since the blazers, the smallest market team to have ever won multiple champs since the merger....I take comfort in the fact that the Spurs don't just go out and by players based on skill but would take a player of less skill and more character.....in all aspects the Spurs are the antithesis of the Lakers and our 4 championships are far more dear to us than the Lakers' will ever be to their fan base.

I bet you can find the positives in having a small dick.

mindcrime
06-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player in the history of the NBA. I have always maintained that. I hated the guy. But I don't blindly say he was perfect or untouchable the way other people would have you believe.

I am a fan of Kobe. Kobe isn't in Jordan's league when you factor everything.

You can fantasize all you want about me sucking dick. I think those are your own personal issues you have to deal with.

Its not a matter of whether Kobe is in Jordan's league or not. Commenting every time a Jordan/Kobe thread is made gets annoying. It encourages people to keep making threads regarding the two. I apologize for what I said. I think the Jordan/Kobe threads are starting to really get under my skin.

JamStone
06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Its not a matter of whether Kobe is in Jordan's league or not. Commenting every time a Jordan/Kobe thread is made gets annoying. It encourages people to keep making threads regarding the two. I apologize for what I said. I think the Jordan/Kobe threads are starting to really get under my skin.

Apology accepted.

But if it annoys you that much, ignore the thread, ignore my posts.

TheMACHINE
06-04-2010, 03:24 PM

the difference is Jams isnt here to troll. He has legit arguements.

mindcrime
06-04-2010, 03:27 PM
the difference is Jams isnt here to troll. He has legit arguements.

He is unwillingly feeding the trolls.

TheMACHINE
06-04-2010, 03:31 PM
He is unwillingly feeding the trolls.

that i can agree with...sorry jams. haha

TheManFromAcme
06-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Love him or hate him........

Kobe has/is making his mark in this league.
I am not his biggest fan. I am a product of the early 80's Lakers teams growing up and admiring all the showtime legends hence my bias towards him and what he represents to the younger Laker fans in here but how anyone can belittle his talent is beyond me.

Ignorance abound.

Sportcamper
06-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Let’s be honest…MJ never won anything before Phil Jackson taught him & the Bulls how to be champions…

The Lakers & Celtics were aging & rebuilding after so many decades of domination…

If Jordan really was that good, he would have played for the Lakers…

TheMACHINE
06-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Let’s be honest…MJ never won anything before Phil Jackson taught him & the Bulls how to be champions…

The Lakers & Celtics were aging & rebuilding after so many decades of domination…

Come on now..Jordan played against all time greats when he won. You know...the likes of...Marley and Kevin Johnson....Gary Payton and Kemp....and so on.

mindcrime
06-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Love him or hate him........

Kobe has/is making his mark in this league.
I am not his biggest fan. I am a product of the early 80's Lakers teams growing up and admiring all the showtime legends hence my bias towards him and what he represents to the younger Laker fans in here but how anyone can belittle his talent is beyond me.

Ignorance abound.

I agree on both counts. I have always disliked the Lakers but had much respect for the showtime team. I used to watch Magic in awe. As for Kobe, denying that he is a top 10 player of all time at the very least is just plain absurd. I can't stand the SOB but give the man his due. With that said Go Boston...

JamStone
06-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I get crucified for feeding the trolls and then people (including said poster that crucified me) start adding serious legitimate posts to this "troll" topic...

Go figure.

mindcrime
06-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I get crucified for feeding the trolls and then people (including said poster that crucified me) start adding serious legitimate posts to this "troll" topic...

Go figure.

Yes, but I never mentioned Jordan vs. Kobe. :p:

TheMACHINE
06-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Go figure.

Yes, but I never mentioned Jordan vs. Kobe. :p:

nit pick much :p:

ChrisRichards
06-04-2010, 04:43 PM
ok, lets talk about cock sucking here, you guys were doing good, dont stop now.

TinTin
06-04-2010, 05:50 PM

:lmao

Koolaid_Man
06-04-2010, 08:23 PM
I've always hated the lakers. And I feel sorry for Kobe, who is more than obsessed with basketball. It doesn't seem like he realizes that there is a world beyond it...but thats neither here nor there

Kobe is nowhere near Jordan. It suprises me time and time again that analysts don't mention that Jordan never had a good big on his team...yeah Rodman grabbed boards, horace grant was solid but not a #2......Maybe the analysts forget what its like to play basketball, but for a SG/SF having a good-great big is extremely helpful. It keeps defender's faithful and spreads the court....so the fact that Jordan did what he did without every having a a big (shaq/gasol) to dump it to just in case speaks volumes about his real skill....And you can say what you want about how Kobe would still be great....but next time you play pick up ball be on a team full of short people and tell me ur not at an inherent disadvantage...Jordan had a disadvantage his whole career after Cartwright got old and useless.

Ok now to Gasol....I can't believe how everyone is on his balls as of late. Sure he's a good player, a solid #2, who struggled to help his team as a #1.....thats the best he'll ever be. As much as having a big helps Kobe, having Kobe helps Pau tenfold. He's the interchangeable part, not the sine qua non to the lakers success.....just like kobe was the interchangeable part when shaq was around....so again the analysts need to shut the fuck up, or at least mention that Kobe drawing defenders away, and driving to the basket lets pau get those nasty ass put backs and easy tip ins...I hate when #2's are talked about like #1's....compare garnett to duncan....but gasol to duncan, mchale to duncan....are you kidding me??

Like Jemele Hill of ESPN said, “The idea that Kobe is better than Jordan — or even the best player in this league — is as repugnant to some folks as a rectal exam.”

And like Mark Jackson once said, “When it’s all said and done, Kobe will be the best player to ever play the game.”

jmill
06-04-2010, 08:25 PM

So why bring it up? It'd be like me feeling sorry for you for wasting your time caring about how someone who doesn't even know you exist chooses to live their life. Meh.

ginobili's bald spot
06-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm let me taste those tears OP.

der Kaiser
06-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Unlike the Spurs the Lakers don't tank a season to land their star players. If San Antonio does not tank the year Duncan came out San Antonio is still stuck at 0.

der Kaiser
06-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Not that the Spurs didnt deserve their ships, minus 99', but lets stop trying to make the Spurs into some sort of puritan franchise.

BullsDynasty
06-04-2010, 10:31 PM
You realize that by saying Gasol is just a good player and not a great player, you are only raising Kobe's status and belittling MJ's. You're saying that Kobe won more with less which neutralizes your Jordan argument....

JoeTait75
06-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Spurs Talk: Where One Pinned Kobe Thread Just Isn't Enough

duhoh
06-05-2010, 01:53 AM

while JamStone contributes, you just QQ. :nope

Jordan is Jordan, while Kobe is Kobe. similar styles, similar approaches, but completely different people. they're both good in the end. :toast

namlook
06-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Kobe is nowhere near Jordan. It suprises me time and time again that analysts don't mention that Jordan never had a good big on his team...yeah Rodman grabbed boards, horace grant was solid but not a #2......

Horace Grant was not a #2? :lmao

Of course he wasn't because Hall of Famer, 1st team all-NBA, 1st team all defense, Scottie Pippen was the #2. DOH!

Analysts don't talk about how Jordan never had a great big because he had Pippen. It doesn't matter if you have a great big when you have a player as good as Pippen was. It's not how tall you are, it's how good of a player you are.

Pippen > Gasol. Gasol has never made an all-NBA 1st team or any all-defensive team. Pippen did both things multiple times. Pippen is one of the greatest defenders in NBA history. Championships are won with defense.

The Bulls won with DEFENSE. They always had three players who have made an all-defensive team. When the Bulls had Jordan, Pippen, Rodman they had three guys who had made 1st team all-defensive teams. In NBA history has there ever been three defenders of that caliber on one team?

When you have two first team all-NBA players and you play great team defense, you don't need a big to win. With this combination all you need are the right role players to win championships and the Bulls had that.

DazedAndConfused
06-05-2010, 03:10 PM
The Bulls had superior perimeter talent at a time when there weren't many great teams with dominant interiors. Had Jordan played in today's era, the makeup of his team would be drastically different. Can you criticize him for that though? His teams were perfectly suited to defeat the competition he had to face at the time.

TampaDude
06-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Not that the Spurs didnt deserve their ships, minus 99', but lets stop trying to make the Spurs into some sort of puritan franchise.

Wow...over a decade later, and '99 still stings, doesn't it, Laker fans??? :lmao

BeeGee
06-06-2010, 01:30 AM
westcoast_spursfan, I was about halfway through your initial post, when I scanned down and saw...

...then I realized that you're just another delusional Spurs fan proclaiming a phantom championship. Thanks for participating though.

IronMexican
06-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Mmmmmmmmmm let me taste those tears OP.

Was watching that episode of South Park the other day. Season 5 was classic.

duhoh
06-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Was watching that episode of South Park the other day. Season 5 was classic.

funny how it turned out to be his brother and family :lol