PDA

View Full Version : Rubio won’t play in NBA before 2011; open to move

duncan228
06-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Edit: Updated in post #22.

Rubio won’t play in NBA before 2011; open to move (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-rubio-timberwolves)
By Paul Logothetis

Ricky Rubio is promising NBA fans they’ll get to see his razzle-dazzle, but not before the 2011-12 season—and not necessarily with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Rubio tells the Associated Press that he won’t leave Spanish club Barcelona before his opt-out clause comes up after next season.

The 19-year-old Spaniard will stick by the Timberwolves, but expects improvements.

He is also “open to everything,” like playing for another team should a trade deal come along that Minnesota finds hard to pass up.

Rubio sees himself as a player in the mold of Magic Johnson and Steve Nash, and wants Shaquille O’Neal to stick around—he’s the one player he most wants to face.

Muser
06-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Who the fuck does this kid think he is?

mingus
06-04-2010, 04:42 PM
never should've picked this guy unless they knew when they were getting him, or if they could trade his pick for a proven player. too many ?'s with his contract.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Rubio tells the Associated Press that he won’t leave Spanish club Barcelona before his opt-out clause comes up after next season.So basically nothing has changed.

JoeTait75
06-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Rubio sees himself as a player in the mold of Magic Johnson and Steve Nash

Love the humility.

Bukefal
06-04-2010, 04:50 PM
pff overrated dipshit he is

PGDynasty24
06-04-2010, 05:04 PM
ricky rubio will be lucky to be as good as magic johnson's pair of shoes

fo'shizzle
06-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Fuck this primadonna!
Stay where you are Betty, we don't care!

fo'shizzle
06-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Maybe he got Magic's HIV and Nash's defense :lol

TE
06-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Sadly, this crap happens to the Spurs every time they pick an overseas player. I feel for the Wolves.

duhoh
06-04-2010, 06:33 PM
we have enough jonas brothers in the states ATM.

Sisk
06-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Who the fuck does this kid think he is?

Apparently Steve Nash and Magic Johnson

The Franchise
06-04-2010, 06:39 PM
All this hype for a player that has accomplished absolutely nothing. It's not his fault though. It's all the assholes that started riding his jock because he made a handful of flashy moves in the Olympics. Now all of a sudden he's the next Magic Johnson, and buying into his own hype. I can't wait for this little bastard to fail miserably.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I guess he should have claimed his desire to be a player in the mold of Greg Sutton and Darrick Martin.

The Franchise
06-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I guess he should have claimed his desire to be a player in the mold of Greg Sutton and Darrick Martin.

Prrobably would have been closer to reality. :lol

ChumpDumper
06-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Prrobably would have been closer to reality. :lolUpon which pro did you aspire to model your game?

BUMP
06-04-2010, 06:59 PM
When they say he is a mold of Magic Johnson and Steve Nash they're talking about his playing style not that he's actually on par with them.

Just like when you go to the rec and theirs that one huge unstoppable guy in the paint, everyone just calls him Shaq

The Franchise
06-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Upon which pro did you aspire to model your game?

Popeye Jones.

ChumpDumper
06-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Popeye Jones.No wonder you didn't go pro.

JoeTait75
06-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Upon which pro did you aspire to model your game?

Eric Snow. I'd love to spend 13 years in the NBA without being able to dribble with both hands.

The Franchise
06-04-2010, 07:05 PM
No wonder you didn't go pro.

Are you really going to say a team can't somehow use the next Popeye Jones?

duncan228
06-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Updated.

Rubio won’t play in NBA before 2011; open to move (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-rubio-timberwolves)
By Paul Logothetis

Ricky Rubio is promising NBA fans they’ll get to see his razzle-dazzle, but not before the 2011-12 season—and not necessarily with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

In an interview with the Associated Press, the highly rated prospect said he won’t leave Spanish club Barcelona before his NBA opt-out clause comes up after next season. The Timberwolves remain his team of choice, as long as they make improvements following a season where they finished 15-67, the second-worst record in the league.

If not, the Spaniard may want to make his NBA debut elsewhere.

“I’m open to everything,” Rubio said courtside from Barcelona’s Palau Blaugrana stadium. “You never know when all of this finishes if it will be with this team.”

Although Rubio expects improvements from the team that took him with the fifth choice in last year’s draft, he was ready to stand by a club that has called him the only “untouchable” player on its roster—even if he’s not even on that yet.

“It’s a young team that still needs to grow, that lacks experience now and even though this year it hasn’t achieved many victories the players are evolving, and that’s important,” said the 6-foot-2 point guard, who described himself as a player in the mold of Magic Johnson and Steve Nash.

“It’s a team that has confidence in me and that’s very important. They may have only won 15 games, but they are in a moment of development and we have to see how they evolve next year because it’s very important to be part of a team with vision. Let’s see next year if things gel.”

Rubio has had regular contact with Timberwolves president of basketball operations David Kahn. Rubio, who averaged 6.6 points and 4.4 rebounds this season, spoke warmly about his relationship with the ‘Wolves and was in particular awe of his meeting coach Kurt Rambis, who watched Rubio in action here on May 27.

“They have the best possibility because they hold my rights, and they’ve shown me how much they want me and for that I have to be thankful toward them,” said the Barcelona native, whose baby-face went unshaven ahead of Friday’s afternoon practice.

The Timberwolves have said all along that they have no problem waiting for Rubio. Kahn actually sees it as an advantage to have the 19-year-old go through some seasoning in Europe to better prepare him for the NBA.

“The notion of him sort of wasting away over there is really far-fetched,” Kahn said in May. “It’s just the opposite. He’s actually getting better over there on somebody else’s dime and we’re the ones that I hope will be able to benefit from that.”

Although a star in Europe, Rubio remains relatively unknown in North America.

Apart from Internet highlights, most NBA fans’ only glimpse of Rubio would have come at the 2008 Olympics when he helped Spain to silver behind the United States.

“When I play (in the NBA) we’ll see how I fit in—I don’t think we can speculate about that now,” Rubio said. “There are people who think I will do well, there are people who think I’ll never suit that type of game and there are those without an opinion. I think I can fit in. But until my first game I can’t give any type of opinion.”

While Rubio has paid particular attention to his outside shooting while trying to improve his overall game, he’s also spent more time in the gym, bulking up as his smooth style of playing can make the transition to the NBA.

“A player who wants to make people happy with his play on the court, above all,” Rubio answered as when asked to describe his game. “A colorful, attractive, spectacular basketball player.”

Rubio nearly joined Minnesota last September before last-minute cold feet. He believes it was the right decision not too rush over at such a young age, and his subsequent move from DKV Joventut to Barcelona has seen him flourish as a player, too.

“This year was very important for me on an experience level. I had the pressure of having to win and that’s only something you can learn playing at a club like Barcelona, to know how to handle and play in those pressure moments,” said Rubio, who is on the cusp of closing his season with a Spanish league title to go with Euroleague and domestic cup triumphs.

Rubio speaks some English but will enroll in classes from next season. He has no hesitation in bombarding fellow Spanish players Pau Gasol and Rudy Fernandez with questions over life in the NBA and the United States, which he won’t judge until he gives it a shot by living there. He already paid one visit to Minneapolis last year.

“It was summer, with nice weather, a lot of lakes and it was nice but I was only there 3 or 4 hours,” he said. “I only visited the countryside, which was nice. I know they like their sports in Minnesota.”

Although Nash, New Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul and Lamar Odom of the Lakers are the players he is looking forward to testing himself against, Rubio is also hoping Shaquille O’Neal hangs around awhile longer so he can drive down the lane at the Cleveland Cavaliers center, who is set to be a free agent.

“I always watched him on TV. He’s a very big player and a very fun player,” Rubio said. “But it wouldn’t be 1-on-1 because he’d probably kill me.”

But O’Neal and NBA fans will have to wait as Rubio could even stay on at Barcelona longer.

“We’ll see after next year,” Rubio said. “Now I have to take advantage of this great (Barcelona) team.”

ChumpDumper
06-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Are you really going to say a team can't somehow use the next Popeye Jones?I'm saying Popeye Jones would aim higher than Popeye Jones.

Mark in Austin
06-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Sadly, this crap happens to the Spurs every time they pick an overseas player. I feel for the Wolves.

:lol just FYI: Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker were overseas players. So was Ian Mahinmi. So was Marcus Haislip.

Oh, and Scola was willing to come over too; Spurs just didn't think he was worth the price he was asking. The Rockets thought he was worth it & he signed with them once they traded for his rights.

The Franchise
06-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm saying Popeye Jones would aim higher than Popeye Jones.

That's impossible.

Venti Quattro
06-04-2010, 07:16 PM
SCRUBio

ChumpDumper
06-04-2010, 07:17 PM
That's impossible.Not at all.

Mel_13
06-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I doubt he comes over before 2012. He has the opposite examples of Rudy Fernandez and Tiago Splitter. He'll probably wait at least three years after his draft date so that he's not limited by the rookie scale contract.

monosylab1k
06-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Love the humility.

Since when is humility a quality seen in NBA players?

monosylab1k
06-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Since when was Rubio considered and NBA player?

Since he got drafted by an NBA team.

You guys are fucking retarded if you think Rubio is gonna be a scrub.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-05-2010, 01:45 PM

You must be reading what mogrovejo posts. He is just a Spanish troll and is a liar. Rubio is not even really a good player.

His numbers in the Spanish playoffs is

4.4 points per game and 4.6 assist per game

32% FG
25% 3 PT

He's not even a good player in Europe.

JoeTait75
06-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Since when is humility a quality seen in NBA players?

Fair point, Mono.

At least Rubio doesn't brag about being humble like LeBron does. :rolleyes

dickface
06-05-2010, 02:28 PM
You must be reading what mogrovejo posts. He is just a Spanish troll and is a liar. Rubio is not even really a good player.

His numbers in the Spanish playoffs is

4.4 points per game and 4.6 assist per game

32% FG
25% 3 PT

He's not even a good player in Europe.

shut up you olive picking unibrowed wog pendos homocrat.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is this based off? The 4 play highlight reel ESPN replays 10 times everytime Rubio is brought up?

glegi
06-05-2010, 02:34 PM
shut up you olive picking unibrowed wog pendos homocrat.

Nice argumentation and a good and quality rebutal...has anybody ever asked you to teach retorics and argumentation.......

On Rubio....he is the most overated bball player in Europe...wait...the world.
He cant do shit if you put good defense on hip. Plus he is very skinny and he will be eaten alive in the NBA )like he was in his match V Slovenia by Goran Dragic in th European Ch.-yes I am Slovenian=.

brgds

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Dragic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rubio now and forever, I agree.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I doubt he comes over before 2012. He has the opposite examples of Rudy Fernandez and Tiago Splitter. He'll probably wait at least three years after his draft date so that he's not limited by the rookie scale contract.

how much does this douchebag think his really worth?

i thought top 3 picks are earning more then MLE...that to me is alot and overpaid for unproven talent on the big stage....

redzero
06-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Rubio fucking sucks.

Scola
06-05-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't blame him. Minnesota is crappy city: cold, small market, bad team. He makes decent money in Europe, he should just wait it out until he can sign with another team. I don't like it when Americans kids demand a trade (like Kobe) just because they don't like the team. However when your drafting a foreign player you know he might not come over, its part of the risk.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2010, 02:56 PM
I don't blame him. Minnesota is crappy city: cold, small market, bad team. He makes decent money in Europe, he should just wait it out until he can sign with another team. I don't like it when Americans kids demand a trade (like Kobe) just because they don't like the team. However when your drafting a foreign player you know he might not come over, its part of the risk.

u never know, maybe the owner might give him a KG max type of deal once his a FA, and put shit around him....

Mavs_man_41
06-05-2010, 02:58 PM

yup, foreign pussies should get special treatment to accommodate their softness and weakness, or else they'd never be able to succeed.

DPG21920
06-05-2010, 03:02 PM
So all the people commenting, have you watched Rubio play extensively?

ChumpDumper
06-05-2010, 03:03 PM
I don't blame him. Minnesota is crappy city: cold, small market, bad team. He makes decent money in Europe, he should just wait it out until he can sign with another team. I don't like it when Americans kids demand a trade (like Kobe) just because they don't like the team. However when your drafting a foreign player you know he might not come over, its part of the risk.Minnesota is a state.

DPG21920
06-05-2010, 03:10 PM
lol

ChumpDumper
06-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Rubio is an exciting young player. I don't know if he has the athleticism to be a star in the NBA, but if he continues to develop his skills it will be interesting to watch him try.

Scola
06-05-2010, 03:35 PM
yup, foreign pussies should get special treatment to accommodate their softness and weakness, or else they'd never be able to succeed.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:hR6IX9rFL3P59M:http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/smilin%2520dirk.jpg

thedong
06-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Rubio is a pussy, I bet that white boi ''the professor'' from all them And1 mixtapes can take him and his Justin Bieber looking hair.

glegi
06-05-2010, 05:28 PM
So all the people commenting, have you watched Rubio play extensively?

Yes....not only in the EC last year live, but through the Euroleague and a couple of games in the ACB.
I am not saying that he doesn't got any skils, he is flashy, quick, young, BUT
He is also a big liability on offence as well as on defence. Its more important to him to look good....he wastes way to much balls, his jumper is streaky (at best) and he is just too skinny to be a good defender.

OK I admit, he gets on mynerves, but I still think that he is overhyped and not NBA material (If he is succesfull, I'll be the first to say I was wrong, but I still will not like him).
brgds

Bob Lanier
06-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Minnesota is crappy city: cold
Not really.

small market
The 15th largest media market in the United States. Bigger than Miami's.

bad team.
But he's a superstar who can make the team better!!!

However when your drafting a foreign player you know he might not come over
Wait, did he or did he not enter the NBA draft himself?

peteee
06-05-2010, 07:14 PM
You have no clue what you're talking about, you just watched his ESPN highlights and based what you said off that. I know what I'm talking about, I saw all the highlights of how he sucks and based what I said off that.

Oh wait, highlights of Rubio sucking don't exist.
Rubio has never sucked as bad as the Anthony "summer league MVP" Randolph once did, you fucking moron. Dude is already one of the deftest players in the basketball world and he'll grow even better considering his age.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-05-2010, 07:26 PM
highlights of Rubio sucking don't exist.

You must not have watched the US vs. Spain Olympic finals in 2008.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-05-2010, 07:32 PM
if you think he sucked in that game you're retarded. he wasn't great but he absolutely didn't suck.

He certainly didn't look like someone worth a top 5 pick.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah let's judge an 18 year old kid on one game where's he's playing an NBA All-Star roster.

He was second on the team in assists and rebounds, and led the team in steals that game. He also led the team in minutes played. I'm sure a coach will always play a guy tons of minutes in a Gold Medal game if he's out there sucking ass.

He played 18 minutes, try 7th in minutes played.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-05-2010, 07:54 PM
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/scheResu/p/eventid/4004/gamename/12/groupname/B/langlc/en/roundid/6450/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html

lol conflicting box scores

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-05-2010, 07:55 PM
lol fail by me

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-05-2010, 07:57 PM
I still don't understand what this guy has done to get the hype.

thedong
06-05-2010, 07:57 PM
the Warriors and Wolves should just go ahead and fuck each other.

Al Jefferson and the rights for Queen Rubio for Monta and Magic Randolph.

thedong
06-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Queen Madonna Rubio
Curry
Maggette
Al J
Biedrins

Flynn
a SG
Magic Randolph
Kevin Love
Cousins

Scola
06-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Not really.
But he's a superstar who can make the team better!!!
Superstar? really? Hes an unproven 18 year old kid who's never played in the league. He could turn out to be the next Darko. I personally think he will be a decent player, maybe make a few all-star game but far from any type of franchise player.

Wait, did he or did he not enter the NBA draft himself? He entered the draft which simply means that IF he wanted to play in the NBA, the selecting team holds the right to sign him. He is under No obligation to ever come over, he could stay in Europe forever if he wanted.

Bob Lanier
06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
So he wants all the power. Well, that's fine, but it certainly lowers his credibility to be such a machiavellian operator.

mojorizen7
06-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I find it mildly amusing when NBA teams draft foreign players locked into European contracts and watch them develop their game in an environment where nobody plays any defense,the schedules are cake and the emphasis is on jump shooting.

I'm sure Rubio is getting vital experience over there that will surely prepare him for life in the NBA....especially a powerhouse team like MINNESOTA :wakeup

ChumpDumper
06-05-2010, 09:43 PM
You have no clue what you're talking about, you just watched his ESPN highlights and based what you said off that. I know what I'm talking about, I saw all the highlights of how he sucks and based what I said off that.:lol

itzsoweezee
06-05-2010, 11:05 PM
these spanish players are all such overrated prima donnas. can't wait to see this guy fail miserably in the nba.

glegi
06-06-2010, 01:39 AM
I find it mildly amusing when NBA teams draft foreign players locked into European contracts and watch them develop their game in an environment where nobody plays any defense,the schedules are cake and the emphasis is on jump shooting.

I'm sure Rubio is getting vital experience over there that will surely prepare him for life in the NBA....especially a powerhouse team like MINNESOTA :wakeup

:rollin:rollin
And your opinion is based on how many games you wached????

ChumpDumper
06-06-2010, 03:14 AM
Barca played exceptionally good defense in the Euroleague games I saw.

Smooth Criminal
06-06-2010, 04:11 AM
Edit: Updated in post #22.

By Paul Logothetis

Rubio tells the Associated Press that he won’t leave Spanish club Barcelona before his opt-out clause comes up after next season.

The 19-year-old Spaniard will stick by the Timberwolves, but expects improvements.

He is also “open to everything,” like playing for another team should a trade deal come along that Minnesota finds hard to pass up.

Rubio sees himself as a player in the mold of Magic Johnson and Steve Nash, and wants Shaquille O’Neal to stick around—he’s the one player he most wants to face.
:lmaoBitch ass Euro thinks he can sniff either of their jocks