PDA

View Full Version : Arizona School Demands Black & Latino Students’ Faces On Mural Be Changed To White

Upstate
06-04-2010, 10:41 PM
An Arizona elementary school mural featuring the faces of kids who attend the school has been the subject of constant daytime drive-by racist screaming, from adults, as well as a radio talk-show campaign (by an actual city councilman, who has an AM talk-radio show) to remove the black student's face, and now the school principal has ordered the faces of the Latino and Black students to be changed to Caucasian skin.-wonkette.com

http://wonkette.com/415809/arizona-school-demands-black-latino-students-faces-on-mural-be-changed-to-white

Nbadan
06-04-2010, 11:01 PM
It starts with immigrants...next it will be the poor...then everyone else....

just watch...

Paranoia will destroy ya...

DarrinS
06-05-2010, 08:02 AM
If true, that's a fucked up story.

boutons_deux
06-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Right-wingers, Repugs, conservatives, tea baggers, gun-nuts aren't racist. Everybody's welcome in their Big Tent. We're All Americans Now.

exstatic
06-05-2010, 10:55 AM
No...those people in Arizona aren't racists!!!

Bud Selig needs to pull the 2011 ASG from AZ, and if he doesn't, MLB needs to be boycotted itself.

Wild Cobra
06-05-2010, 12:10 PM
What I noticed was missing was how many faces were on the mural, and if there were any white faces or not.

Is it possible that a few racists comments are being repeated, but the key complaint is possibly lack of diversity? Are there any white kids depicted in the mural?

Wild Cobra
06-05-2010, 12:20 PM
OK, I found that four students are painted, none are white.

I'll bet the crux of the situation is that there are no whites represented.

Stringer_Bell
06-05-2010, 12:39 PM

The reason lunatic adults are screaming racial epiphets at a children's mural is because no whites are represented? That makes ZERO sense. I saw the alleged mural and there is at least one, possibly two, white people on it. Why don't you post the one you saw so I can compare?

The school says the skin changes are for artistic purposes :rollin

Wild Cobra
06-05-2010, 12:57 PM
The reason lunatic adults are screaming racial epiphets at a children's mural is because no whites are represented? That makes ZERO sense. I saw the alleged mural and there is at least one, possibly two, white people on it. Why don't you post the one you saw so I can compare?

LOL...

I went over several articles. Only three racial epitaphs were mentioned to be spoken. Now Prescott isn't a very large town, only 43,217 buy census estimates for 2009. Still, to have only three biggoted complaints...

Nobody in the school is saying the repainting is because of pressure, but for reasons of accuracy.

I'll bet you check as many articles as I did. I looked at over a dozen.

As for seeing whites? It must have already been repainted.

The school says the skin changes are for artistic purposes :rollin
Maybe wrong artistically?

Wouldn't it be funny if it was the parents of a white kid painted as Hispanic or black complained? Not saying it happened, but it was one thought that came to mind as a possibility.

Stringer_Bell
06-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I'll bet you check as many articles as I did. I looked at over a dozen.

WRONG! I only checked 3, which aren't really articles so much as gossipy commentary. But I digress...

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/7/2010/06/mouse-manners-3_01.jpg

http://gawker.com/5555807/arizona-elementary-school-whitens-faces-of-black-and-latino-students-on-school-mural

The mural was apparently of "current students" so yea, maybe they made a white kid black or hispanic. Or maybe it's just another example of racist AZ trying to erase all sense of cultural diversity!!!!!!!!

PS: The kid in the mural has an afro, hard to know if the artists got that wrong and it should be a white kid with an afro.

scott
06-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I bet that white skinned blond girl is just an albino black.

ChumpDumper
06-05-2010, 01:40 PM
It looks like two white people in that sketch. If that's what the mural looks like, what is the problem here?

Wild Cobra
06-05-2010, 01:47 PM
WRONG! I only checked 3, which aren't really articles so much as gossipy commentary. But I digress...

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/7/2010/06/mouse-manners-3_01.jpg

http://gawker.com/5555807/arizona-elementary-school-whitens-faces-of-black-and-latino-students-on-school-mural

The mural was apparently of "current students" so yea, maybe they made a white kid black or hispanic. Or maybe it's just another example of racist AZ trying to erase all sense of cultural diversity!!!!!!!!

PS: The kid in the mural has an afro, hard to know if the artists got that wrong and it should be a white kid with an afro.
That's the approved sketch. Not the final product.

ChumpDumper
06-05-2010, 01:48 PM
That's the approved sketch. Not the final product.So you have seen the final product? Post a picture of it.

Stringer_Bell
06-05-2010, 01:54 PM
That's the approved sketch. Not the final product.

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! :downspin:

ChumpDumper
06-05-2010, 01:58 PM
http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/files/entryimages/themural.jpg

White kid on the bike.

Wild Cobra is full of shit.

Wild Cobra
06-05-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/files/entryimages/themural.jpg

White kid on the bike.

Wild Cobra is full of shit.
Whatever.

The sketch has blond hair of two kids. the mural has darker skin, without blond hair. Did the artist change actual students looks, causing the stir maybe? This is suppose to represent actual students, then the artist changes the students. I read an article that said none of the children were white. I could be in error, but I really don't know.

Here is one pic I could find:

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/on-deadline/2010/06/04/muralx-wide-community.jpg

The kid with the afro in the concept is now Hispanic rather than African-American. Could the racial slurs be coming from blacks because the final product was changed to Hispanic?

Where's the blond hair on the kid on the bike, and the bike is changed too. The pose of the black/hispanic is changed.

When you change an approved design, maybe it's not the mural that being called racist, but the painter!

I haven't found any quotes of the slurs, have you? The articles make everyone assume the slurs are coming from whites. What if they aren't?

Remember the black tea party guy with the rifle, being called a racist against blacks?

jack sommerset
06-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Does a ghost count as white?

ChumpDumper
06-05-2010, 02:06 PM
This is a picture of the mural with the "lightening" paint on the offending figure's forehead.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/06/05/alg_mural_mice.jpg

Actually the kid looks more like Mao might have before his hairline receded. That might have been a better avenue of criticism.

jack sommerset
06-05-2010, 02:13 PM
The kid on the bike looks like he/she has a fro.

FromWayDowntown
06-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Everyone knows that we can't dare have positive depictions of minorities in suburban areas -- those people are there only because of affirmative action or illegal immigration, after all. And we can't have suburbia becoming uncomfortable with the thought that white affluence will be displaced by governmental beneficence that changes the socioeconomic calculus. Better -- by far -- to have suburbanites faced with faces of people that they're comfortable with and who are their legitimate equals.

ChumpDumper
06-05-2010, 02:15 PM
They want us to lighten up the forehead and the cheeks [of the boy in the center], and make him look like he is coming into the light

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/06/04/2010-06-04_arizona_school_asks_artists_to_lighten_face_of_ hispanic_student_on_mural.html#ixzz0q0XCmBQX

Head toward the light, Mao-looking, fro-less, apparent Latino child. Head toward the light.

Stringer_Bell
06-05-2010, 02:16 PM
The kid on the bike looks like he/she has a fro.

Hmmm. I might be going out on a limb here, but I think the kid on the bike might be wearing a, what is it called, oh yea...A FUCKING BIKE HELMET!!!

jack sommerset
06-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Head toward the light, Mao-looking, fro-less, apparent Latino child. Head toward the light.

I was leaning toward Latino because of the shades but that could sound racist.

jack sommerset
06-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Hmmm. I might be going out on a limb here, but I think the kid on the bike might be wearing a, what is it called, oh yea...A FUCKING BIKE HELMET!!!

I can't see that much. You might be right but it looks like a fro to me. Chump, find a better pic.

ChumpDumper
06-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Whatever.

The sketch has blond hair of two kids. the mural has darker skin, without blond hair. Did the artist change actual students looks, causing the stir maybe? This is suppose to represent actual students, then the artist changes the students. I read an article that said none of the children were white. I could be in error, but I really don't know.

Here is one pic I could find:

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/on-deadline/2010/06/04/muralx-wide-community.jpg

The kid with the afro in the concept is now Hispanic rather than African-American. Could the racial slurs be coming from blacks because the final product was changed to Hispanic?

Where's the blond hair on the kid on the bike, and the bike is changed too. The pose of the black/hispanic is changed.

When you change an approved design, maybe it's not the mural that being called racist, but the painter!

I haven't found any quotes of the slurs, have you? The articles make everyone assume the slurs are coming from whites. What if they aren't?

Remember the black tea party guy with the rifle, being called a racist against blacks?You're a complete idiot.

You made up a bullshit argument and were proved to be full of shit.

Your response?

Claim the painter is racist against recumbent bikes.

Wild Cobra
06-05-2010, 02:25 PM
I think you're right.

Would you agree the design on paper you showed represents a black guy in the center, but a Hispanic in the final rendering?

Would you agree the other children seen are changed?

Would you agree parental permission was given before the design implemented, and that maybe the parents are angry for changing their children depiction, possible calling the artist a racist?

ChumpDumper
06-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Yes, the people who said get the N-word off the mural were angry that the black looking kid from the sketch was replaced with a Mao-looking Latino.

The councilman who questioned why the black kid was in the center of the finished mural was angry that it was a Latino.

Stringer_Bell
06-05-2010, 02:30 PM
I think you're right.

Would you agree the design on paper you showed represents a black guy in the center, but a Hispanic in the final rendering?

Would you agree the other children seen are changed?

Would you agree parental permission was given before the design implemented, and that maybe the parents are angry for changing their children depiction, possible calling the artist a racist?

We haven't been able to find pics of the entire finished mural before and after skin changes, but the "approved" piece was definately different when it comes to the centerpiece. The hispanic kid turned out looking like black Mao (we all thought he was black, the article had to tell us he was hispanic), no telling what they did to our precious white children. :(

Parental permission was definately needed, but they aren't going to go saying ###### and spic as a result of skin needing to be lighter or whatever.

Wild Cobra
06-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Yes, the people who said get the N-word off the mural were angry that the black looking kid from the sketch was replaced with a Mao-looking Latino.
Do you have a direct quote?

The councilman who questioned why the black kid was in the center of the finished mural was angry that it was a Latino.

In the paper illustration, he does look angry. Have a direct quote in context? The finished mural has the center figure clearly as Hispanic.

Why are you so stupid. I am mostly offering possibilities. Are you so bigoted, you can only see one viewpoint?

Wild Cobra
06-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Parental permission was definately needed, but they aren't going to go saying ###### and spic as a result of skin needing to be lighter or whatever.
Well, I could only find reference to three incidence of racial slurs. We all know that racism is real, and again, I think in my first posting, that's not a bad number for the population.

have you seen more than three accounts of racial slurs?

ChumpDumper
06-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Do you have a direct quote?Yes, they had cameras and parabolic mics running on passersby 24-7.

In the paper illustration, he does look angry.In this post, you do look like a complete idiot.

Have a direct quote in context? The finished mural has the center figure clearly as Hispanic.Didn't you read a dozen articles about this, WC?

"I am not a racist individual," Blair said on a radio show last month, "but I will tell you depicting a black guy in the middle of that mural, based upon who's President of the United States today and based upon the history of this community, when I grew up we had four black families - who I have been very good friends with for years - to depict the biggest picture on that building as a black person, I would have to ask the question, 'Why?'"

The "black guy" in the mural is based on a student of Mexican descent, a school official said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/06/04/2010-06-04_arizona_school_asks_artists_to_lighten_face_of_ hispanic_student_on_mural.html#ixzz0q0cmYdID

Why are you so stupid. I am mostly offering possibilities. Are you so bigoted, you can only see one viewpoint?Why are you so stupid? I am showing that your made up shit is made up shit.

Josepatches_
06-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Hispanic isn't a race.
The U.S. Office of Management and Budget (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Management_and_Budget) currently defines "Hispanic or Latino (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino)" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race"

I'm from Spain and I'm white and my hair is blond.Gasol is from Spain too.But i guess we could be hispanics in USA because we are from a country of spanish culture. At the same time we are white because we have origins in Europe.

People in the mural can be white and they could be hispanic too.

EVAY
06-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Hispanic isn't a race.
The U.S. Office of Management and Budget (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Management_and_Budget) currently defines "Hispanic or Latino (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino)" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race"

I'm from Spain and I'm white and my hair is blond.Gasol is from Spain too.But i guess we could be hispanics in USA because we are from a country of spanish culture. At the same time we are white because we have origins in Europe.

People in the mural can be white and they could be hispanic too.

Aren't all spaniards caucasians? Isn't that fact part of the idiocy of calling them a different race?

Cane
06-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Why are you so stupid? I am showing that your made up shit is made up shit.

:lmao :toast

Oh, Gee!!
06-06-2010, 01:02 AM
white folks is crazy

admiralsnackbar
06-06-2010, 04:15 AM
Aren't all spaniards caucasians? Isn't that fact part of the idiocy of calling them a different race?

The Iberian peninsula has historically seen a lot of traffic between itself and North African countries (including a long Moorish occupation), so my guess would be no.

By the same token, all of Europe (and the rest of the world, for that matter) has experienced large waves of miscegenation over time, so -- assuming the paradigm of static racial identities was ever useful -- it's really starting seem outdated and cartoonishly simplistic considering the world we live in.

Winehole23
06-06-2010, 04:23 AM
The Iberian peninsula has historically seen a lot of traffic between itself and North African countries (including a long Moorish occupation), so my guess would be no.

By the same token, all of Europe (and the rest of the world, for that matter) has experienced large waves of miscegenation over time, so -- assuming the paradigm of static racial identities was ever useful -- it's really starting seem outdated and cartoonishly simplistic considering the world we live in.Nonsense.

white=neutral

dark complected=race

admiralsnackbar
06-06-2010, 04:30 AM
Nonsense.

white=neutral

dark complected=race

Ah, yes... I always forget. :lol

Good to see the Wino about, btw.

Nbadan
06-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Paint it black...

IVZTlSjFpV4

rjv
06-07-2010, 09:31 AM
the irony here is that now WC is promoting diversity.

hater
06-07-2010, 09:42 AM

a big percentage of them is mixed with Moors.

rjv
06-07-2010, 09:44 AM

this is a perfect example of why there is the need for latin american or hispanic american studies classes.

DarrinS
06-07-2010, 10:53 AM
this is a perfect example of why there is the need for latin american or hispanic american studies classes.

Is something EVAY stated factually incorrect?

rjv
06-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Is something EVAY stated factually incorrect?

well technically he did not state anything but his question certainly was odd. it would have been like asking "aren't all americans caucasians?".

Wild Cobra
06-07-2010, 01:25 PM
the irony here is that now WC is promoting diversity.
When have I never been in favor of it?

FromWayDowntown
06-07-2010, 01:33 PM
When have I never been in favor of it?

surgeons.

drok210
06-07-2010, 01:56 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-4383-Portland-Progressive-Examiner~y2010m6d6-Update-Arizona--Protesters-defeat-bigots-at-Miller-Valley-Elementary

Wild Cobra
06-07-2010, 03:49 PM
surgeons.
Wow...

After all this time, you fail to understand the point I was making. I have never been against diversity. I am against quota systems.

FromWayDowntown
06-07-2010, 04:06 PM
n/m

rjv
06-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Wow...

After all this time, you fail to understand the point I was making. I have never been against diversity. I am against quota systems.

then you should not have a problem with this remaining a mural that has no apparently "anglo" children on it.

Höfner
06-07-2010, 04:49 PM
White people aren't even white...

Wild Cobra
06-07-2010, 06:38 PM
then you should not have a problem with this remaining a mural that has no apparently "anglo" children on it.
Where did I say that?

I get rather tired of people making unfounded assumptions. maybe if you had an open mind, you wouldn't misunderstand what some people mean.

word
06-07-2010, 09:14 PM

You know, I noticed a similar thing voting at an elementary school. There were all these posters of MLK and even Malcom X and there were posters about prejudice and the like but white was not a race represented. In fact, it seemed the posters were guided to the white kid.

Here is the problem and you see it to some degree in Israel. Victims, real and percieved, often become victimizers because they have in their mind, justification. It doesn't work on the problem of stopping the cycle of one group using prejudice against another. You just change the group, but the problem continues in a cycle, over and over.

Human condition I guess. People don't live long enough as individuals to overcome a lot of this. We just have to run over the same mistakes, over and over and over.

Wild Cobra
06-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Paint it black...

IVZTlSjFpV4
I see you're at it again propaganda dan.

One of the intruders were Mexican.

The former Minuteman member, Shawna Forde, was kicked out in 2007. She formed a group with "Minuteman" in the name, but one of her co-attackers, Jason Bush, is a White Supremest, and Albert Gaxiola is Mexican.

These animals are not representative of the Minutemen Civil Defense Corp. Just because they formed their own group, the Minutemen American Defense, doesn't mean shit. The similar name alone doesn't mean anything, now does it?

Dan, don't you ever get tired of portraying such weak shit?

http://immigrationclearinghouse.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/suspects.jpg

HB 2631 vote was 8 yes to 1 no. Marriage?:

But the Mesa moonhowler keeps trying to up his cruelty quotient. Take, for instance, HB 2625, which sanctions landlords renting to illegals. A landlord who doesn’t check a renter’s immigration status could receive a civil penalty of up to $250 for each day of violation. Effectively, if you rent to someone who is undocumented, the state could bankrupt you.

And this is how the wording of HB 2281 is that bans the ethnic Studies classes:

Prohibits a school district or charter school from including in its program of instruction any courses or classes that:

Ø Promote the overthrow of the United States government.

Ø Promote resentment toward a race or class of people.

Ø Are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group.

Ø Advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals.
They didn't say Ethnic studies were banned, but apparently, the current agenda was a class that promoted racism or hatred.

Dan...

Why are you always full of shit?

rjv
06-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Where did I say that?

I get rather tired of people making unfounded assumptions. maybe if you had an open mind, you wouldn't misunderstand what some people mean.

if you have mentioned that you are against quotas then there is no need to support the argument that the mural should reflect the populations make up. if there are no whites then so be it.

Wild Cobra
06-08-2010, 09:38 AM
if you have mentioned that you are against quotas then there is no need to support the argument that the mural should reflect the populations make up. if there are no whites then so be it.
I see your reading skills are lacking.

I didn't say that was my opinion.

I said it could be a reason for the complaints... Other people's opinion.

rjv
06-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Ø Promote resentment toward a race or class of people.

Ø Are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group.

Ø Advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals.

good old arizona law. perfunctorily objective but, essentially, open to a myriad of subjective interpretations.

rjv
06-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I see your reading skills are lacking.

I didn't say that was my opinion.

I said it could be a reason for the complaints... Other people's opinion.

and i never said that you did. i simply stated (and i did so because you have posted several thoughts propagating that possibility) that you would be on the side of the minorities in this case. thus the irony: your being against diversity actually promotes diversity in this case.

Wild Cobra
06-08-2010, 09:45 AM
good old arizona law. perfunctively objective but, essentially, open to a myriad of subjective interpretations.
If the teaching can be misunderstood, then they are not very helpful. Are they?

Can you say waste of money?

rjv
06-08-2010, 09:56 AM
If the teaching can be misunderstood, then they are not very helpful. Are they?

Can you say waste of money?

if this applies to any teaching that can be misunderstood then we can just assume that all of pedagogy is a waste of money; the liberal arts because of interpretation and the natural sciences due to shifting paradigms.

...and nice simplification but this is not limited to "misunderstanding". the law was designed purposely opaque.

as camus once said 'there once was a time when crime was put on trial. now, it determines the law'.

Wild Cobra
06-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm not going to argue this much. Schools are for teaching the necessities of like spelling, reading, math, etc. I would be for getting rid of all agenda related classes. Like it or not, such programs are just that.

Winehole23
06-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I would be for getting rid of all agenda related classes. Like it or not, such programs are just that.History classes are out then?

Wild Cobra
06-08-2010, 12:12 PM
History classes are out then?
No, history is important. Now i would make it criminal to intentionally lie about history.

EmptyMan
06-08-2010, 12:19 PM
If the kiddies don't learn true history, they will not be able to learn the lessons from history. So even if they are indoctrinated, they will be weak and harmless when it's crunch time.

Win win.

rjv
06-08-2010, 12:50 PM
No, history is important. Now i would make it criminal to intentionally lie about history.

how do you prove "criminal" intent when it comes to history?

Wild Cobra
06-08-2010, 12:59 PM
how do you prove "criminal" intent when it comes to history?
I didn't say you had to have criminal intent. i said to purposely lie about history, making that a crime.

rjv
06-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I didn't say you had to have criminal intent. i said to purposely lie about history, making that a crime.

i was referring to mens rea.

Wild Cobra
06-08-2010, 01:12 PM
i was referring to mens rea.
Oh I see..

It's that time of the month for you.

lefty
06-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Fuck the Suns

Fuck the Diamonbacks

Fuck the Coyotes

Fuck the Cards

Wild Cobra
06-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Oh I see..

Actually, I forgot the exact misunderstanding of the term, but remember from where. I should have said, who did you get it from?

gShIlz2If40

rjv
06-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Oh I see..

a little less cliche' of an insult is not too much to ask if i can not at least get anything else in terms of a response.

LnGrrrR
06-09-2010, 07:53 PM

Who cares if there are any white kids painted? Are you saying that there should have to be a white kid too?

If that was the issue, why not just paint one of the child's faces white, and keep the others multicultural?

LnGrrrR
06-09-2010, 07:54 PM
If true, that's a fucked up story.

What DarrinS, no comment about how this one story is an overarching example for how racist all conservatives are? Or is that sort of sweeping generalization reserved only for the liberals?

Wild Cobra
06-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Who cares if there are any white kids painted? Are you saying that there should have to be a white kid too?

If that was the issue, why not just paint one of the child's faces white, and keep the others multicultural?
I explained that already. It's not my opinion there should have been, but that others may have had that complaint.

You know, if it were four white kids, someone would have complained minorities weren't represented. Someone may have truly been upset, ot playing tit-for-tat.

MiamiHeat
06-10-2010, 04:02 AM
Highlighting localized incidents, in this case 1 school in the entire state, to smear an entire state

Just cause you don't like their immigration laws.

Winehole23
06-10-2010, 04:11 AM
Yeah. Not everybody likes it.

Winehole23
06-10-2010, 04:11 AM
You cool with that?