PDA

View Full Version : Celtics at Lakers Game Two Previews

duncan228
06-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Celtics scheme ways to overcome Kobe in Game 2 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals)

Boston at Los Angeles (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010060613)
Game info: 8:00 pm EDT Sun Jun 6, 2010
TV: ABC, TSN
By Greg Beacham

Rajon Rondo often enjoys returning to his room at the Celtics’ hotel and watching tape of a Boston victory before he goes to sleep.

The losses, not so much.

Yet Rondo did just that after the NBA finals opener Thursday with teammate Kendrick Perkins, ordering room service and watching the replay of the Los Angeles Lakers’ decisive win. In his own room elsewhere in the hotel, Kevin Garnett did the same thing—twice.

“You learn a lot about yourself when you lose,” Garnett said. “You learn a lot about yourself when you’re down. This shows what you’re made of.”

While Rondo and Perkins muted the television, Garnett turned it up to hear every unflattering thing said about the Celtics. Yet all three came away from the film session with two conclusions: Kobe Bryant is awfully good, but Boston still can compete with the Lakers.

“That might be the first time after a loss that I watched a game again so quickly,” Rondo said Saturday before Boston’s workout at the Lakers’ training complex. “This isn’t the first round any more. You don’t have a lot of time to get things right. I think I correct my mistakes better when I see them.”

Rondo, Perkins and their teammates all promised increased intensity in every aspect of their considerable games when they look to avoid an 0-2 series hole Sunday night in Game 2. After staggering into this finals rematch with an unimpressive effort, Boston hopes focus and adjustments will make their trip out West worthwhile.

“Everybody gets punched,” Celtics big man Glen Davis said. “Everybody gets knocked out. It’s about how you get up. We got punched. We got dazed. It’s about how you react to it.”

The Celtics all realize that while Bryant’s offensive artistry is responsible for most of the attention directed at him, particularly after 12 30-point games already in this postseason, he’s a perennial all-defensive team selection for a reason. Rondo used his film session to analyze exactly what Bryant did to slow down both the Celtics and their young point guard.

“He’s a good defensive player, and we all knew that,” Rondo said. “He did a great job on me. A lot of what they do on both ends keys off Kobe.”

Bryant guarded Rondo at times during the 2008 finals largely because the matchup left him free to help out on other defensive matchups while daring Rondo to beat them.

After Rondo shredded Cleveland and Orlando in consecutive playoff series, he’s possibly the Celtics’ single biggest offensive threat. The Lakers concentrated on using Bryant’s superior size to direct Rondo into tough areas of the court.

“You don’t want to overcommit too much, but it’s a full-time job because he’s very smart,” Bryant said. “He gets after it quite a bit. It takes a great deal of energy and effort to key in on him.”

So everybody played a role. When Rondo slipped underneath the basket for difficult layup attempts in the first half of Game 1, both Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum rudely swatted away one of his shots. Lakers coach Phil Jackson drilled his big men on resisting the urge to pick up Rondo immediately, which would allow Rondo to pass to his own low-post players for dunks.

“We try not to commit too early, because that’s when they get you,” Bynum said. “You just have to stay disciplined, and we did that in Game 1.”

Boston ended up with playoff lows in field goals (29) and attempts (67), and Celtics coach Doc Rivers traces it all back to his team’s play on defense.

Los Angeles surprised Boston by running relatively little of its customary triangle offense, instead using pick-and-roll plays that cleared space for numerous aggressive drives to the hoop, even by backup guards Jordan Farmar and Shannon Brown. Add that to a passionless rebounding effort in a foul-plagued game, and Rivers wasn’t surprised to see the Celtics manage just 89 points.

“Rondo is not going to get going if we don’t get stops,” Rivers said. “Our offense is directly connected to our defense. Every team’s is, for the most part, if you want to run. If we’re going to take the ball out of bounds, if they’re going to shoot free throws, they’re going to get second shots, Rondo is not going to be in the open court. If we can get multiple stops, we can get multiple runs.”

Rivers and Jackson both seemed pleased to have an extra day off between the series’ first two games, as dictated by the NBA’s television schedule. Sunday’s meeting is the first of three in five days, with a cross country flight thrown in, so the time for game-planning was Saturday, and both coaching staffs knew it.

“I think we gain some time for guys that obviously can use time,” Jackson said, referring to several Lakers nursing minor injuries—including Bryant, who again watched practice from a folding chair at courtside.

Jackson said the break gives the Lakers “an opportunity to digest some of the things that are ongoing, concerns about our team’s effort, where we have to expend more energy, more focus. I think you lose a little bit of the continuity of that nervous energy that you build up to get into a series, so you can lose a little bit of your guard. That will be something we have to be prepared for.”

Team Stat Leaders

Kobe Bryant LAL 27.0

Rebounds
Kendrick Perkins Bos 7.6
Pau Gasol LAL 11.3

Assists
Rajon Rondo Bos 9.8
Kobe Bryant LAL 5.0

Series Breakdown (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/playoffs/2010/boslal;_ylt=AoGDDJHz3JQtufJlPSZycbiPvLYF)

duncan228
06-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Celtics have to bounce back from another blowout (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-celtics)
By Brian Mahoney

The Boston Celtics know they have doubters after Game 1 of the NBA finals.

None of them will be wearing green Sunday night.

The Celtics still believe, and they don’t care that they might be the only ones after the Lakers easily handled them in a 102-89 victory in the series opener.

“That’s fine. That’s the way we felt going into the playoffs, that’s the way we feel now,” forward Paul Pierce said before practice Saturday. “It doesn’t matter who believes in us. The important thing is the guys in the locker room believe.”

Write off the Celtics at your own risk. They were beaten even worse by Cleveland in Game 3 of the second round, dealt the worst home playoff loss in their proud franchise history, and all they did after that was win six straight games against the two winningest teams in the league this season.

All they need is four victories now to be champions again.

“I’m not a guy that’s going to quit,” forward Kevin Garnett said. “If I have a goal in mind, that’s what I’m after. I have a pretty good sense of focus to going after something and actually try to accomplish it. ‘Can’t’ isn’t a word that I use. ‘Quit’ is not a word that I use. I feel like if you want something bad enough, then you work towards it.”

Besides, the Celtics were long ago written off, even before the regular season ended. They didn’t get the message then, and they’re still not listening now.

“To be honest, I really don’t even hear that stuff. I don’t hear what people are saying,” Pierce said. “Obviously we’re an underdog because of our record with all the series and the way we’ve been playing. But as far as all that, hearing how we played and how we performed, I really don’t even get caught up in that.”

The Celtics were considered too old to manufacture any sort of prolonged playoff run after a 27-27 finish to the regular season. It didn’t seem they’d be sticking around much longer after LeBron James and the Cavaliers rolled to a 124-95 victory on May 7, a domination that had the fans in Boston booing the home team as it walked off the court at halftime.

“I guarantee you after the Cleveland game we were the only 15 that thought Game 4 would be different,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers said.

Boston responded with three straight victories to oust the league-best Cavaliers, and didn’t lose again until after it had built a 3-0 lead over No. 2 seed Orlando.

Still, a comeback against Cleveland wasn’t entirely shocking, because the Celtics had outplayed the Cavaliers for most of the first two games in earning a split. Boston was outplayed in just about all facets Thursday night by Los Angeles.

“It’s true, we had some proof against Cleveland. We have none,” Rivers said. “I’m not in the business of trying to prove to the masses. I’ve just got to prove to 15, and that’s the guys in the locker room. As long as they believe, it doesn’t really matter what anyone else believes.”

There was so much to question after Game 1. Garnett was criticized as perhaps never before after being badly outplayed by Pau Gasol. Rivers said Rajon Rondo, the catalyst behind Boston’s postseason run, is dealing with some tight lower back muscles.

Even Rivers admitted that “we have not proven that we can stop them yet.”

Then again, they also lost at home to New Jersey and Washington this season, and after every embarrassing loss there was one more reason to count out the Celtics.

Yet they keep rising again.

And maybe, another banner will rise at the start of next season.

“You know, you learn a lot about yourself when you lose,” Garnett said. “You learn a lot about yourself when you’re down, the people around you and so forth, and this shows what you’re made of, to be honest.”

Giuseppe
06-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Game 1, pt 2,,,,it was never two games for the Lakers. Tomorrow night is nothing less than a continuation of Thursday night. Got to show up Tuesday night in Boston up 2-0. Otherwise, our shit is weak.

Finish it.

lefty
06-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Lakers in 4

Giuseppe
06-05-2010, 09:18 PM
I got my fingers, toes and snuts crossed accordingly, Lefty.

TampaDude
06-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Game 1, pt 2,,,,it was never two games for the Lakers. Tomorrow night is nothing less than a continuation of Thursday night. Got to show up Tuesday night in Boston up 2-0. Otherwise, our shit is weak.

Finish it.

Truf. Lakers have to win Game 2 or the Celtics will gain a huge advantage...Games 3, 4, and 5 are all in Boston.

Def Rowe
06-06-2010, 01:14 AM
So, where are all the Boston fucksticks now. They're been real quiet lately.

Sons a bitches.

duncan228
06-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Garnett hopes for better reviews in Game 2 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-garnettceltics060610)
By Marc J. Spears

Kevin Garnett’s favorite movie is the renowned gangster hit, “Scarface.” He knows every scene by heart, just like he can now recite every detail of another Hollywood-bred massacre:

“NBA Finals, Game 1: Gasol’s Revenge.”

From Friday morning to Saturday afternoon, Garnett watched the Boston Celtics’ Game 1 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers five times. Each time by himself. Each time with the volume cranked loud.

When the Celtics watched the game together as a team twice on Saturday, Garnett led the analysis, quickly interjecting before coach Doc Rivers could refer to a play in question. During the two days leading into Sunday’s Game 2, Garnett has been questioned for his lackluster play in the Finals’ opener. No one, however, has criticized him more than himself.

“He’s beating himself up, but that’s cool,” Rivers said. “That’s who he is. That’s what makes him great.”

If the Celtics hope to win their second title in three years, they’ll need more from Garnett. But while K.G. saw on video what he needs to do to improve, transferring that to the floor figures to be trickier.

Slowed for much of the season by his recovery from right knee surgery, Garnett seemed to regain his swagger during the first two rounds of the playoffs. He struggled, however, in the Eastern Conference finals against the Orlando Magic, averaging 10.3 points, to again raise questions about his health.

And while Garnett overwhelmed Gasol in the 2008 Finals, both physically and mentally, that was far from the case on Thursday. Gasol totaled 23 points, 14 rebounds and three blocks. K.G. scored a respectable 16 points, but was limited to just four rebounds.

“It’s not a one-on-one situation between me and Pau,” Garnett said. “It’s Lakers versus Celtics. To make this team better, I got to be a lot more aggressive and I will.”

Still, no matchup figures to be more watched in Game 2 than that of Garnett and Gasol. Gasol unintentionally fanned the flames of the rivalry when he said Garnett has “lost some of his explosiveness” and is more of a “jumper shooter” now because of his knee injury.

“Before he had a really, really quick first step and was getting to the lane and he was more aggressive then,” Gasol said.

Gasol has since chided the media for overplaying his comments as an insult, stressing that Garnett remains “a terrific player, a terrific competitor, and he’s going to bring everything he’s got.” No matter. Garnett and the Celtics are using Gasol’s words as motivation.

“I have no comments for his comments,” Garnett said. “Who is he?”

Gasol, Celtics forward Glen Davis said, “shouldn’t have said that. He shouldn’t have said that.”

When asked if Garnett had lost a step, Rivers said: “Well, that’s what Gasol said, that he can’t do what he used to do. I don’t think Kobe [Bryant] believes that. I don’t think Kevin believes that. He’s not injured, I can tell you that. He just didn’t have a good game. He’s as healthy as he’s been all year. And I think he plans on trying to prove that to a lot of people tomorrow.”

Still, when pressed on the strength of Garnett’s knee, Rivers’ response nearly echoed that of Gasol. “Listen, he’s not who he was two years ago,” Rivers said of Garnett. “I’m not, either. Neither is Ray [Allen], Paul [Pierce], [Rajon] Rondo – none of us are. But in a lot of ways through this playoff stretch he’s been as good. His numbers are good. We’ve just got to keep him going.”

The Celtics believe the best way to get Garnett going is to give him more offensive touches. Garnett took 16 shots in Game 1, more than any of the Celtics, but he shot only two free throws. Rivers, however, believes the Celtics will perform better if Garnett gets the ball more not only to shoot, but also to distribute. Center Kendrick Perkins even suggested Garnett take at least 20 shots.

“We do have to do a better job of getting him the ball,” Rivers said. “I thought we failed in that category on our own. We didn’t get him the ball in his spots enough. He had a lot of touches outside the paint, at the elbows, and we have to mix it up better.”

When told of Perkins’ plea for him to shoot more, Garnett said: “I am. But I got to be in control. I got to be aggressive. I got to quit thinking and just react.”

Garnett also knows the film doesn’t lie. As hard as it is for him to swallow, he knows Gasol outplayed him in Game 1. The Celtics now hope K.G.’s work ethic and inner fire will lift him through the rest of the series.

“If you want to be better and you want to accomplish anything in this league, you have to continue to push yourself,” Garnett said. “You have to be motivated. Nothing motivates anybody more than coming short of a goal.”

Giuseppe
06-06-2010, 02:03 PM
"No matter. Garnett and the Celtics are using Gasol’s words as motivation."

I guess the Celtics needed it.:rolleyes

duncan228
06-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Game 2: Celtics' point guard play among five key things to watch (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen/06/05/game.2.walkup/index.html)
Ian Thomsen
SI.com

Coming off their dismal 102-89 loss in Game 1, the pressure is on the Celtics to adapt for Game 2 of the Finals on Sunday. Here are five key issues to watch for:

1. Rajon Rondo at both ends. One surprise in Game 1 was that the Laker point guards almost equaled the production of Rondo, who was held to 13 points and eight assists after averaging 16.7 points and 10 assists over the previous three rounds. Rondo was diminished by the variety of looks presented by Kobe Bryant and other defenders. When he did break into the paint, the Lakers' big men blocked three of his layups.

But Celtics coach Doc Rivers was disappointed most by the defensive effort by Rondo and his fellow guards as the Lakers were able to drive to the basket at will. "We were spaced out," said Rondo of Boston's perimeter defense. "If Kobe had the ball on the right wing, either myself or Paul [Pierce] or someone else was hugged up on the opposite wing, and we didn't make them see us on the nail or on the elbow to help the situation. It's not a big adjustment that we need to make."

Rondo sounded confident that he and the Celtics would give a better showing in Game 2. After watching the Lakers drive as they pleased, it's hard to imagine the Celtics being able to clamp off those seams and suddenly recreating the high blend of team defense that saw them through the Finals two years ago against Los Angeles.

2. Pace of play. As predictable as it was for the Lakers to come out hard for Game 1 -- considering their closeout 39-point loss at Boston in Game 6 of the 2008 Finals -- the Celtics appeared to be caught by surprise. They looked frantic at times offensively, trying to make up for poor ball movement by hurrying to get off shots against the Laker closeouts.

This goes back to defense. Through three quarters, the Lakers held a 20-point lead and were shooting 52.6 percent, which prevented Boston from scoring in transition (where it had been outscored 10-2 going into the fourth) or in the early offense before the L.A. defense could set up.

"If we get stops, it's a different ball game," said Rondo. "But you've got to give them credit that when we did get stops, they got [10] offensive rebounds. So it was difficult for us to come down and get any transition buckets because we were setting up the offense every time down."

Rebounding is a vital indicator. The Lakers were outrebounding their guests 34-17 after three quarters, with Kendrick Perkins and Kevin Garnett combining for four rebounds -- fewer than Bryant had managed. Rivers insisted that Garnett was strong physically. "I just thought he got so hyped up about the game he almost took himself out," said Rivers. "He was trying to slow himself down ... He was talking about centering himself and all that. That's above my head; I just started laughing. But he knew it."

3. Foul trouble. Bryant wore out the Celtics, keeping Ray Allen on the bench for almost 21 minutes as he managed 12 points amid persistent foul trouble. As much as the Celtics complained about the officiating, they outscored the Lakers 30-24 at the foul line.

The answer for Boston is to be more aggressive, to beat the Lakers to the punch. "I didn't think that was a physical game," said Rivers. "I thought one team was physical; we were not. We fouled a lot because they were standing next to the basket and we had no choice."

4. Pressure from Kobe. Any team would be vulnerable to relax after dominating the opening game as the Lakers did Thursday, but Bryant will do everything he can to maintain pressure on his teammates to play as if they're behind. This will be crucial considering the necessity of a win for the Celtics on Sunday, as they shouldn't like their chances of sweeping the three-game homestand following Game 2.

"I expect the [Celtics] to be more aggressive and with a sense of urgency, understanding the importance of Game 2," said Laker forward Pau Gasol. "But I expect us to be even more aggressive and be ready for that type of intensity that they might bring."

5. Andrew Bynum's health. The Lakers center had an efficient game with 10 points on 4-6 shooting and six rebounds in 28 minutes, while altering several Celtics shots around the rim. While Bynum struggled against the mobility of the Suns front line in the last round, he looks more comfortable bodying up against a traditional center in Perkins. If his bad knee can hold up throughout this series, then he'll provide a length advantage against the Celtics.

"His matchup with Kendrick is a good one for him," said Bryant. "The last series was tough for him -- Oklahoma series, as well -- because he did a lot of running and he had guys who were really fast, and it's tough for his knee to get up and down that much."

NBA Fanatic
06-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Here is one that says that if the Lakers want to win Game 2 they will have to play with even more grit and determination than they did in Game 1.

"If the Lakers want to maintain their home-court advantage they will have to play Game 2 with even more grit, determination, and focus than they exhibited in Game 1. They cannot rest on their laurels and think that the effort they gave in Game 1 will be enough to deter the Boston Celtics. Los Angeles will have to maintain their focus throughout the game and not allow Boston's physical play to distract them from the task at hand."

It goes on to say that Artest will have to defend Pierce without fouling him or that it may be a long night for Artest.

Here is the link if interested: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5455724/2010_nba_finals_lakers_vs_celtics_game.html?cat=14