PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Tech PF Derrick Favors: ‘I Think Now My Game Is Ready For The NBA’

duncan228
06-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Georgia Tech PF Derrick Favors: ‘I Think Now My Game Is Ready For The NBA’ (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-georgiatechpfderrick)
SportingNews

Derrick Favors entered his freshman year at Georgia Tech as one of the top young prospects in basketball, with the size, frame and athleticism that drew comparisons to Dwight Howard and Amare Stoudemire. Though Favors was up and down early, he finished the season well and his NBA draft stock has remained solidly among the top 5. Sporting News’ Sean Deveney and other reporters spoke with Favors about the draft.

Question: Which guys playing now would you compare your game to?

Derrick Favors: Probably guys like Amare Stoudemire and Kevin Garnett.

Q: Have you paid much attention to talk of where you might go, No. 2, No. 3, the mock drafts and all?

DF: No, I don’t listen to it. I just go in, go do my workouts, go as hard as I can and let the chips fall where they may.

Q: A lot of scouts and G.M.s are saying you might be the best big man in this draft.

DF: I mean, if they say I am the best big man in the draft, then, OK, I am. But it doesn’t mean anything at this point.

Q: Having been in Atlanta for a while, you have had some experience working out with NBA players there, haven’t you?

DF: Definitely. I worked out with a lot of guys with NBA experience around Atlanta, guys like Dwight Howard or Dion Glover sometimes or Josh Smith sometimes. They just tell me to keep working hard and it will pay off.

Q: Has it really hit you yet, what you have coming as far actually being there on draft day and having your name called? That has to be exciting.

DF: It’s pretty exciting for me. I am 18, I am basically still a kid. So, it hasn’t really hit me yet what I have ahead. I have watched the NBA draft just about every year, so to see myself up there, that is something I am excited about.

Q: Not long ago, you might have been someone who came out right from high school. Would you have liked that? Do you think the year at Georgia Tech helped you?

DF: Georgia Tech definitely helped me a lot. I don’t know about coming out of high school. But Georgia Tech was good for me. I got a lot stronger, a lot more used to not having the ball in my hands all the time, moving without the ball, setting screens. Georgia Tech helped me that way.

Q: You could wind up third in the draft, going to New Jersey. They had a rough year, of course. Does that deter you in any way?

DF: It doesn’t deter me, they had a rough year, but I am pretty sure it is part of the rebuilding process. They have some good players and I think I will be able fit in.

Q: There’s talk among scouts that maybe you didn’t get used as much as you could have at Georgia Tech, that the point guards struggled to get you the ball. Would you agree with that? Will you show a different game in the NBA?

DF: I think I got used pretty good at Georgia Tech. I will probably improve in other areas, but I will have pretty much the same game. I think now it is. Now that I had that experience at Georgia Tech, I think now my game is ready for the NBA.

Q: You were more productive as the season went on.

DF: At the end of the year, I got a lot more comfortable with the system, I got a lot more comfortable with my guards and the guards started realizing we needed to get the ball into the post more. It was a combination of things.

Q: If you’re an NBA general manager and you have the first pick, who do you take?

DF: I would take myself first, if I was a GM.

Q: Why?

DF: Because I know what kind of player I am and what I could bring to the floor.

Darthkiller
06-07-2010, 10:31 PM
dude is gonna be the best player in the draft. he was the no.1 ranked recruit out of high school, the guards in GT just wanted to score themselves and never passed favors the ball

noob cake
06-07-2010, 10:33 PM
With Cousins draft stock dropping (shitty measurements and attitude), Favors may very well end up 3rd.

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2010, 03:47 AM
weak draft anyway, i back myself too if i had the same attributes as him....

monosylab1k
06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
:lol so let me get this straight. When a young American PF expresses confidence in himself and his game and compares himself favorably to the best PF's in the game today, it's a good thing and it means he'll be a beast in the NBA.

But when a young Spanish PG expresses confidence in himself and his game and compares himself favorably to the best PG's in the game today, he's an arrogant prick that will suck dick in the NBA.

okay.

TheSpurglar
06-08-2010, 12:12 PM
The Nets would be a good spot for Favors. The Nets need to get rid of that giant pussy Yi anyways.

Harris, Lee, Twilliams, Favors, Lopez

Good starting 5.

Yeah, a Lopez/Favors frontcourt would be pretty nasty. Even though the Nets were absolute garbage last year, they have some pretty nice building blocks in place.

monosylab1k
06-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Yet he bailed on the Twolves when they drafted him.

It's a shame you know more about cheekbone structure and fashion than you do about NBA buyouts for European players.

Rubio CAN'T come to the NBA because he doesn't have the money to buy out his European contract. The Timberwolves can only pay a small fraction of the buyout. Until this changes, Rubio has to wait, just like a shitload of other Euro players (like Splitter) to get his chance in the NBA. It has nothing to do with him wanting to play for another team.

Rip-Hamilton32
06-08-2010, 04:16 PM
The Nets would be a good spot for Favors. The Nets need to get rid of that giant pussy Yi anyways.

Harris, Lee, Twilliams, Favors, Lopez

Good starting 5.

plus CDR

monosylab1k
06-08-2010, 04:43 PM
There is a difference, Favors is black and Rubio is white. If Dirk was black he wouldn't be nearly as underrated as he is. I personally think Dirk is the best big man/shooting guard playing. Kobe's amazing shots don't have shit on Dirk's fade away leaners on one legs with 10 hands in his face and sheet being thrown over his head while blind folded and the ball hitting nothing but net.

:lmao Are you still asshurt over the fact that you had no clue how tall George Mikan was?

Giuseppe
06-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi, sweetie.

Greg Oden
06-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi, sweetie.

what's up with katie girl?

BadOdor
06-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Mono, what's up with the man crush on rubio? now that's dirk's a bit old, you looking for a new euro to transition into?

monosylab1k
06-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Mono, what's up with the man crush on rubio? now that's dirk's a bit old, you looking for a new euro to transition into?

It's not that I like Rubio, I just think people are retarded when they get pissed off at him for behaving like every other professional basketball player alive, and then acting like he has any control whatsoever over his buyout situation.

BadOdor
06-08-2010, 05:02 PM
It's not that I like Rubio, I just think people are retarded when they get pissed off at him for behaving like every other professional basketball player alive, and then acting like he has any control whatsoever over his buyout situation.

Sons, in this case, I agree - I don't think anyone would have paid that buy out only to come play for the wolfs.