PDA

View Full Version : Rate the strength of the post-3 peat Lakers/Spurs era

midnightpulp
06-08-2010, 10:34 AM
With low-post bigmen on the verge of extinction, tons of parity, and prospects leaving after 1 year in college, I can't consider this era anything but weak.

I do believe the talent pool is the deepest it's ever been, but there's just no great teams anymore. In the West, aside from the Lakers, there's simply good teams who beat up on each other en route to a "successful" 50 win season. Then in the East, the top regular season teams lacked mental toughness and imploded.

And the two teams playing in this year's Finals would get absolutely creamed by the 3 peat Lakers, 03 or 05 Spurs, and 04 Pistons; not to mention get beaten by teams like the 00 Blazers, 01 Spurs, 02 Kings, 04 Spurs or Lakers, 06 Mavericks or Heat. Sure the East was weak then, but the West was an absolute nightmare, with usually 3 or 4 teams a threat to win the title.

Also all the top teams back then had at the very least a serviceable front-line. Even the run-and-gun minded Kings fielded the likes of Divac, Webber, and Miller. Hell, even first round fodder like the Wolves had Garnett and Rasho. Nowadays, a top Western conference playoff team has Boozer and Fesenko, or Amare, Channing Frye, and Robin Lopez.

I think the transition from a medium strength era to a weak era began in '07. The '07 Spurs were really nothing to write home about. I'll take the 'ship, obviously, but I don't see that team ranking in the better half of the 60 or so championship teams in NBA history.

Likely reasons for this? Rule changes catering to perimeter players. The lost art of the post-game. Lebron and Melo, both of whom had championship capable teams, failing to emerge. The lack of solid fundamental play in superstars. The aging of Shaq and Duncan.

What say you?

Giuseppe
06-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Yer equating the (Kobe 00-02 Lakers) with the (at anytime Spurs?)

Please.

tdunk21
06-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Yer equating the (Kobe 00-02 Lakers) with the (at anytime Spurs?)

Please.

do u understand the word post 3-peat??:lmao

it means after 3-peat....y r laker fans so dumb

and moreover kobe was the 2nd option on the 3-peat laker team with shaq being the 1st option....so stop acting like kobe was the reason for the 3-peat...:rolleyes

Giuseppe
06-08-2010, 11:03 AM
do u understand the word post 3-peat??:lmao

it means after 3-peat....y r laker fans so dumb

and moreover kobe was the 2nd option on the 3-peat laker team with shaq being the 1st option....so stop acting like kobe was the reason for the 3-peat...:rolleyes

Thanks for checking my asshole.

Giuseppe
06-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Yer equating the (Kobe 03-10 Lakers) with the (at anytime Spurs?)

Please.

midnightpulp
06-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Please.

Spurs beat Shaq/Kobe twice en route to two ships, the Lakers did the same during the 3 peat.

The 99, 03, and 05 Spurs weren't much worse than the 3 peat Lakers. The 99 Spurs swept the Trailblazer team that took you to 7 games the very next year, the 03 Spurs curb-stomped the 3 peat to the point where Fish and Overrated cried like abused children, and the 05 Spurs were arguably the best team of them all.

So yeah, the respective title teams are comparable.

midnightpulp
06-08-2010, 11:25 AM
No surprise Lakaluva voted strong.

Hey Luva, remember when you said that Kobe is the only superstar left? How can a "strong" era boast only one superstar?

Lol.

This era is weaker than Bynum's knees, or a Koolaid_Man insult.

scanry
06-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Please.

Honestly the Lakers post the Shaq era don't have that same aura and arrogance that the 2000-2002 teams had.

People can hate Shaq for all the dumb moves that he's pulled over the years, but he was literally unstoppable in 2000-2002. Shaq should've had 6 rings by now if he wasn't so darn lazy. If he had put in the effort that he did in PHX & CLE, the Lakers probably would've be retiring his jersey right about now.

Giuseppe
06-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Spurs beat Shaq/Kobe twice en route to two ships, the Lakers did the same during the 3 peat.

The 99, 03, and 05 Spurs weren't much worse than the 3 peat Lakers. The 99 Spurs swept the Trailblazer team that took you to 7 games the very next year, the 03 Spurs curb-stomped the 3 peat to the point where Fish and Overrated cried like abused children, and the 05 Spurs were arguably the best team of them all.

So yeah, the respective title teams are comparable.

You've never beat anybody in the Finals of merit. You've bottom dwelled The Finals the past ten years just like us, cept you never repeated.

Giuseppe
06-08-2010, 11:32 AM
If he had put in the effort that he did in PHX & CLE, the Lakers probably would've be retiring his jersey right about now.

What effort in PHX & CLE? He failed both places.

Leetonidas
06-08-2010, 11:35 AM
You've never beat anybody in the Finals of merit. You've bottom dwelled The Finals the past ten years just like us, cept you never repeated.

Neither have the Lakers in the last ten years.

Pacers, Nets, Sixers, Magic. :lmao :lmao :lmao

Oh yeah and we did put the smack down on D-Town after they rawdogged you guys in 5 games the year before.

scanry
06-08-2010, 11:35 AM
What effort in PHX & CLE? He failed both places.

He was a lot lazier in LA and you know that. He was in really good shape in PHX and CLE. The thing that he took for granted was age and when age finally caught up to him, it was too late..

Giuseppe
06-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Neither have the Lakers in the last ten years.

Pacers, Nets, Sixers, Magic.

That's what I stated in my post, Lee. You were too busy letting you mouth overload your ass, per usual.

Leetonidas
06-08-2010, 11:38 AM
That's what I stated in my post, Lee. You were too busy letting you mouth overload your ass, per usual.

I was more pointing out the whole "we've never beaten anyone of merit." Pretty sure we beat those Pistons that tapped that Lakeshow ass the year before like nothing.

midnightpulp
06-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Showtime never beat anyone in the Western Conference playoffs of merit. That was literally the weakest the Western Conference has ever been. The 3 peat Lakers and the Spurs fought battles in the West to get there. And I would say the 05 defending champion Pistons had "merit." Your Lakers haven't beaten a title team that good since '88.

So should we denigrate Showtime because they had a cakewalk to the Finals virtually every year?

Giuseppe
06-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I was more pointing out the whole "we've never beaten anyone of merit."

That ain't what you said before, Lee...

"Neither have the Lakers in the last ten years.

Pacers, Nets, Sixers, Magic. :lmao :lmao :lmao"

Giuseppe
06-08-2010, 11:47 AM
So should we denigrate Showtime because they had a cakewalk to the Finals virtually every year?

Sure. I tote up my cyphers merit or no merit. You too.

And you've never beaten anybody of merit in The Finals.

Leetonidas
06-08-2010, 11:52 AM
That ain't what you said before, Lee...

"Neither have the Lakers in the last ten years.

Pacers, Nets, Sixers, Magic. :lmao :lmao :lmao"

:wtf

Either way, fuck you and your shitty team bitch!

:toast

Giuseppe
06-08-2010, 11:57 AM
:wtf

Either way, fuck you and your shitty team bitch!

Yer capitulation is duly noted, Lee.