PDA

View Full Version : Utah man requests firing squad.

RandomGuy
06-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Yippie Ki Yay, My Friend.

At inmate's request, Utah prepares firing squad
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100608/ap_on_re_us/us_utah_firing_squad
By JENNIFER DOBNER– 33 mins ago
SALT LAKE CITY – Barring a last-minute reprieve, Ronnie Lee Gardner will be strapped into a chair, a hood will be placed over his head and a small white target will be pinned over his heart.

The order will come: "Ready, aim..."

The 49-year-old convicted killer will be executed by a team of five anonymous marksmen firing with a matched set of .30-caliber rifles. He is to be the third person executed by firing squad in Utah — or anywhere else in the U.S. — since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976.

Utah was a long holdout in keeping the method, which it has used in 40 of its 49 executions in the last 160 years. Utah lawmakers made lethal injection the default method of execution in 2004, but inmates condemned before then can still choose the firing squad.

That's what Gardner did in April, politely telling a judge, "I would like the firing squad, please." Neither he nor his attorneys have said why.

Critics decry the firing squad as a barbaric method that should have been relegated to the dustbin of the frontier era.

"The firing squad is archaic, it's violent, and it simply expands on the violence that we already experience from guns as a society," Bishop John C. Wester, of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City, said during an April protest. The diocese is part of a new coalition pushing for alternatives to capital punishment in Utah.

Even some death-penalty supporters would prefer not to see the method used. State Rep. Sheryl Allen, a Republican from Bountiful who pushed for the switch to lethal injection, said she's not happy to see the reprise of the firing squad because it shifts attention away from the victim to the convicted killer.

Gardner is to be executed June 18, shortly after midnight. He was convicted of capital murder 25 years ago for the 1985 fatal courthouse shooting of attorney Michael Burdell during a botched escape attempt.

Allen said legislators allowed previously convicted inmates to keep the firing-squad option out of fear that changing the execution method would create a new avenue of appeal.

Utah's switch to lethal injection was largely driven by an aversion to the negative worldwide publicity it received each time a firing squad was used, including the case of Gary Gilmore. The convicted killer famously proclaimed "Let's do it" before his 1977 execution by a firing squad. Gilmore's story inspired author Norman Mailer's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, "The Executioner's Song."

Utah last used the firing squad in 1996 to execute John Albert Taylor, who was convicted of the 1989 rape and strangulation of an 11-year-old girl. It is the only state that allows execution by firing squad, though Oklahoma law calls for that method if both lethal injection and electrocution are deemed unconstitutional.

Officials with the Utah Department of Corrections declined to be interviewed by The Associated Press about the details of Gardner's execution, citing security concerns.

In its planning, the department will likely rely heavily on a manual for conducting executions — by firing squad and lethal injection — written in 1986 by Gary DeLand, who ran Utah's corrections agency in 1985-92 and was later tapped to rebuild Iraq's prison system.

DeLand planned three executions for the state of Utah, including one for Gardner in the 1990s that was delayed by a court order two days before the scheduled date.

Based on DeLand's own description of the planning, written accounts of past executions and the recollections of former department employees, at some point in the 24 hours before the execution, Gardner will be moved from his 6-by-12-foot, maximum-security cell to a deathwatch cell where he can be more closely monitored by guards.

After Gardner is allowed the customary last meal and visitors, prison guards will strip search him and give him a dark-colored prison jumpsuit to wear to the 20-by-24-foot execution chamber.

Inside, Gardner will be strapped into a winged, black metal chair with a mesh seat that was built for Taylor's execution. A metal tray beneath the chair is designed to collect any blood that runs from the executed prisoner's body.

For Taylor's execution, sandbags were stacked behind the chair to catch any stray bullets.

Aside from staff, as many as 25 individuals may witness the execution from three observation rooms that surround the execution chamber, according to the department memo. The witnesses include relatives of the victims, representatives for the state, news media and individuals selected by Gardner.

Once the witnesses are in place, the prison warden will open the curtains on the observation room windows. Gardner will be asked for any last words.

Then, after a final check for a stay with the Utah attorney general's office, comes the order to the executioners, who fire from a distance of about 25 feet.

The gunmen stand behind a wall cut with a gunport, their rifles bench-rested to assure accuracy, DeLand said.

The guns are handed out randomly to the officers. One will be loaded with a blank, so no one will know who fired the fatal shot. By law, the identities of those selected for the firing squad remain secret.

A state judge signed the warrant ordering Gardner's execution on April 23. That launched a flurry of legal filings by attorneys aimed at getting Gardner's death sentence reduced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

So far those attempts have been unsuccessful, although the Utah Supreme Court is scheduled to hear an appeal on Wednesday and the state parole board is to begin a two-day commutation hearing Thursday.

Gardner and his attorneys can continue to try and stop the execution up until midnight on June 17, Assistant Utah Attorney General Tom Brunker said.

No matter what happens in Gardner's case, America's last execution by firing squad could be years off. At least three of the other nine men on Utah's death row have said they want to die that way, too.

------------------------------------------

:wow Did not know that a firing squad was still used.

koriwhat
06-08-2010, 03:19 PM
really what does it matter what method he chooses, the outcome is the same.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-08-2010, 03:20 PM
It is my hope that in if not in my time then in my children's life time we will see this archaic practice stamped out for good and replaced with The Running Man.

Fpoonsie
06-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Hyph_DZa_GQ

Bukefal
06-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Critics decry the firing squad as a barbaric method that should have been relegated to the dustbin of the frontier era.

Why? if they themselves want to die like this rather than injections, why not. Its their own request and decision. They are being executed anyway.

Sisk
06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Hyph_DZa_GQ

"That's the catch phrase from the film Judge Dredd.."
:lol

But in relation to the OP, I say let the guy have his wish.

phyzik
06-08-2010, 04:17 PM
It is my hope that in if not in my time then in my children's life time we will see this archaic practice stamped out for good and replaced with The Running Man.

Or Deathrace. I'd be cool with either one.

If it was The Running Man though, I would have to insists they retain the totally awesome characters and costumes.

Fireball!
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/8/83/TRM16.jpg/500px-TRM16.jpg

Dynamo!
http://blog.seattlepi.com/undraftedfreeagent/library/dynamo.jpg

Buzzsaw!
http://shittymovienight.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/RM-11-Buzzsaw.JPG

Sub Zero!
http://content8.flixster.com/photo/10/91/76/10917674_gal.jpg

Captain Freedom!
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311/Sexy_D_HCHS/runningman3nc0.jpg

EmptyMan
06-08-2010, 04:18 PM

oh lawd :rollin

/signed

Trainwreck2100
06-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Whole lot cheaper too

baseline bum
06-08-2010, 06:29 PM
I can't understand how anyone can think dying from a firing squad is worse than lethal injection. You take a bullet to the heart, you're pretty much done right there. You take lethal injection and you're paralysed but still conscious for some of it. If I was a convicted killer on death row, I'd beg for the firing squad when my time was up. Not to mention 4 blanks and 1 real bullet is a hell of a lot cheaper than blowing $35,000 or so to do the lethal injection.

The Reckoning
06-08-2010, 07:58 PM
id go for it. something alot more romantic about "died from firing squad" than "systematically killed." put it in the history books.

Big P
06-08-2010, 08:06 PM
.30 caliber? wtf?

MiamiHeat
06-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Not to mention 4 blanks and 1 real bullet is a hell of a lot cheaper than blowing $35,000 or so to do the lethal injection.

I agree. Dying to firing squad is way better than electrocution or lethal injection. It is even more honorable.... as there is a long history of it. Whereas electric chair is scummish, and not instant death.

ONE QUESTION THOUGH

what happens if the guy with the real bullet, misses? Try again?

MaNuMaNiAc
06-08-2010, 08:17 PM
I agree. Dying to firing squad is way better than electrocution or lethal injection. It is even more honorable.... as there is a long history of it. Whereas electric chair is scummish, and not instant death.

ONE QUESTION THOUGH

what happens if the guy with the real bullet, misses? Try again?

The gunmen stand behind a wall cut with a gunport, their rifles bench-rested to assure accuracy, DeLand said.

The guns are handed out randomly to the officers. One will be loaded with a blank, so no one will know who fired the fatal shot. By law, the identities of those selected for the firing squad remain secret.

SourCandy
06-08-2010, 08:40 PM
oh wow, where do they aim?

Big P
06-08-2010, 08:44 PM

easy...head shot

tlongII
06-08-2010, 09:49 PM

Actually they aim for the heart.

tlongII
06-08-2010, 09:51 PM
I can't understand how anyone can think dying from a firing squad is worse than lethal injection. You take a bullet to the heart, you're pretty much done right there. You take lethal injection and you're paralysed but still conscious for some of it. If I was a convicted killer on death row, I'd beg for the firing squad when my time was up. Not to mention 4 blanks and 1 real bullet is a hell of a lot cheaper than blowing $35,000 or so to do the lethal injection.

Actually it's 4 bullets and 1 blank.

phyzik
06-09-2010, 01:08 AM

Shhhh!!!

You dont want to upset the religious/anti-NRA people with the truth who believe its more humane with an injection that takes several minutes!!!

Hell, lets put even more people in prison who dont deserve to live because some imaginary magical being said in a book written by a human said to take pitty on the asshole!!

Viva Las Espuelas
06-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Utah denies clemency for man set to die by firing squad (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/14/utah-wont-commute-sentence-of-man-set-to-die-by-firing-squad/)
Moving a Utah death row inmate one step closer to his scheduled execution by firing squad early Friday, the Utah Board of Pardons and Parole on Monday refused to commute his sentence to life in prison without the possibility of parole, a board spokesman said.
Read the ruling (PDF) (http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/06/14/scan100614095410.pdf)
The board held a two-day commutation hearing for Ronnie Lee Gardner at the Utah State Prison on Thursday and Friday. During that hearing, Gardner and defense attorney Andrew Parnes argued he is a changed man who regrets killing two men in two separate escape attempts in 1984 and 1985. But Assistant Attorney General Thomas Brunker pointed to Gardner's "long history of relentless violence."
Gardner, 49, is set to die just after midnight Friday for the death of attorney Michael Burdell during an escape attempt at a courthouse in Salt Lake City.
More than two decades after he killed two men in separate escape attempts, Gardner swears he is a changed man with a dream to help keep teens from making the mistakes he did.
But, in arguments Friday before the Utah Board of Pardons and Parole, Assistant Attorney General Thomas Brunker suggested he had a more selfish motive.
"This sounds to me like somebody who wants to save his life," Brunker said.

RandomGuy
06-14-2010, 02:07 PM
I have heard of people given the choice between life w/o parole and death shoot for the death sentence because the facilities are nicer, and you are more likely to die of natural causes waiting for the appeals process to wind its way out.

mingus
06-14-2010, 05:32 PM
i think people who murder should be locked up in a box that gives them absolutely no wiggle room for the rest of their lives. why give these guys the relative pleasure of death?

baseline bum
06-14-2010, 05:37 PM
i think people who murder should be locked up in a box that gives them absolutely no wiggle room for the rest of their lives. why give these guys the relative pleasure of death?

No reason to waste money and manpower on torturing a worthless person. If someone murders another in the first degree and is convicted for it with irrefutable evidence, cut your losses and dump a slug in him.

I Love Me Some Me
06-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Ronnie Lee Gardner, electricity will now be passed through your body until you are dead, in accordance with state law.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2010, 02:25 PM
He had quite a last meal...........

balli
06-19-2010, 01:20 AM
A Tribune reporter, one of nine media witnesses at Friday's just-after-midnight execution of Ronnie Lee Gardner, offers his firsthand account.

By Nate Carlisle

The Salt Lake Tribune

Draper » Ronnie Lee Gardner's head, covered by a black hood, remained upright. His body sat straight in the chair to which he was strapped.

As my eyes traveled down Gardner's left arm, past his dark blue jumpsuit, I saw his pale white skin appear below his elbow. Half a faded blue tattoo, some kind of diamond shape, stuck out from the restraint around his wrist.

At the bottom of his restraint, I focused on his fist. Gardner died much the way he lived -- with a clenched fist.

Yes, this was my first time witnessing an execution. I have been amazed at how many people have asked me that.

Firing four bullets into a man's chest is, by definition, violent. If it can also be clinical and sterile, then that also happened in this execution.

Eight other journalists and I had our own viewing area with about a 6-foot-wide bulletproof window. When the curtain opened, there sat Gardner. We were at about a 45-degree angle to his left.

He looked nothing like the athletic 23-year-old with the red hair who murdered Melvyn Otterstrom in a robbery, nor did he flash that grin that defined those infamous photographs of him shackled on the courthouse lawn after killing Michael Burdell and wounding Nick Kirk in 1985.

This time, he looked like Utah's own ghost of Hannibal Lecter. Gardner's skin and his white socks contrasted with the dark blue jump suit he wore and the restraints, chair, wooden backdrop and sandbags, all of which were painted black. Restraints circled his wrists, ankles, shoulders and waist, but the restraint across his forehead best exemplified his confinement to me.

Gardner could not even look around the room and the fluorescent lights in the ceiling tiles illuminated his bald head and pale face.

Over his left breast clung a white square, about 2 inches by 2 inches, with a circle in the middle.

The room had no decor. The floor was white, as were the cinder-block walls. The two slits for the shooters cut into the wall opposite Gardner and the observation windows lined the two perpendicular sides.

Steven Turley, warden at the Draper prison, picked up a microphone and announced Gardner had two minutes to say his final words. When Turley asked Gardner if he had anything to say, Gardner said, "I do not. No." Gardner moved his head ever so slightly, trying to shake it.

Gardner's final words were to say he had none.

Turley hung up the microphone, then reached up and gently pulled a hood over Gardner's head. Turley picked up the microphone, unplugged its cord from a wall jack, wound the cord in his hand and exited the room.

Over the next 30 seconds, my heart raced. I realized the five gunmen would launch their volleys any moment. I placed a Styrofoam plug in my right ear to match the one I had earlier placed in my left. The other reporters and I stood in front of the glass.

I watched Gardner. As the seconds passed, I grew anxious. I pivoted my eyes away from Gardner toward the slits.

In that fraction of a second my eyes were in transit, I heard "boom boom." The sounds were as close together as you could spew them from your mouth.

My eyes darted back to Gardner and to his chest. The target, perfect just a second earlier, had three holes. The largest hole was in the top half of the circle and toward Gardner's left side. It may have been where two bullets entered Gardner.

Below that hole, still inside the circle, was a smaller hole. Outside the circle, in the bottom right of the target, was a third hole. Each hole had a black outline. Utah Department of Corrections Director Tom Patterson would say later the target was fastened to the jumpsuit by Velcro, and that may have accounted for the black outline.

I watched Gardner's torso. The firing squad members who shot John Albert Taylor in 1996 said they saw Taylor's body slump and I assumed Gardner's would, too. But I never saw such a movement. Instead, a few seconds after the gunshots, I saw Gardner move his left arm. He pushed it forward about 2 inches against the restraints. In that same motion, he closed his hand and made a fist.

Then it happened in reverse. Gardner's hand loosened, his arm bent at the elbow, straightened again and the fist returned. At the time, I interpreted this as Gardner suffering -- clenching his fist in an effort to fight the pain.

As I write this, I don't know whether that's true. It could have just been reflexes or some other process the body begins after a major trauma. Scientists do not know much about what a person shot through the heart feels.

The next movement I saw from Gardner came from beneath his hood. I could see the bottom of his throat and it rippled as though Gardner moved his jaw.

I squinted my eyes, looking for blood. I saw none through the holes in Gardner's chest. None spilled on the floor. The jump suit slightly darkened around his waist and it appeared that's where blood was pooling. But I never saw a drop.

About two minutes passed after the gunshots. It was long enough that I wondered (and some of my colleagues later said they wondered, too) whether Gardner would require a second volley of bullets to die.

Through a side door walked a man in a button-down shirt, slacks and blue plastic gloves. He lifted Gardner's hood only enough to check the pulse on the left side of Gardner's neck. The man appeared to do the same on Gardner's right.

Then the man lifted the hood high enough to shine his small flashlight in Gardner's eyes. When he did this I could see Gardner's face. His mouth was agape. His face was even whiter than it was before the hood covered him.

The man withdrew his flashlight and let the hood fall again. He shut off the flashlight and started to walk out of the room. Gardner was dead.

Turley and Lowell Clark, the director of division institutional operations for the Department of Corrections, entered the chamber. Clark grasped the curtain on my side and Turley grabbed the curtain on the opposite wall.

As Clark pulled the curtain along its rod, I pushed my head toward the glass to take one final look at the scene. In the final second, my eyes focused on the straightened left arm, seemingly flexing, and that clenched fist.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_15325356

mingus
06-19-2010, 05:40 AM
No reason to waste money and manpower on torturing a worthless person. If someone murders another in the first degree and is convicted for it with irrefutable evidence, cut your losses and dump a slug in him.

This is very economical, but does it prevent murder? I don't think the death penalty actually prevents murder. these people don't give a fuck and would probably welcome death. put people in a box for the rest of their lives and I think you'd see a drop in murders.

EmptyMan
06-19-2010, 07:21 AM
We do put them in a box. 6'x3'x2'

DP is not a deterrent.

It's action in response to a previous action. That's the way the world works, so we might as well keep up the routine.

mingus
06-19-2010, 11:37 AM
I think people argue it is a deterrent. you're wrong on that.

mingus
06-19-2010, 11:40 AM
and in mean a box proportioned to their body so they can't move. their whole life like that. If u wanted to murder someone that would weigh on ur mind much more heavilly than a cell.

mrsmaalox
06-19-2010, 12:03 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_15325356

Damn, that was hard to read.

baseline bum
06-19-2010, 02:34 PM
This is very economical, but does it prevent murder? I don't think the death penalty actually prevents murder. these people don't give a fuck and would probably welcome death. put people in a box for the rest of their lives and I think you'd see a drop in murders.

I don't think either is a deterrent. I'd be willing to bet most murders are done by people guided by emotion, not rational thinking, so the punishment means nothing.

Hooks
06-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Who does the firing in the firing squad, is it just regular law enforcement?

mingus
06-19-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't think either is a deterrent. I'd be willing to bet most murders are done by people guided by emotion, not rational thinking, so the punishment means nothing.

i'll have to agree to disagree then.

obivously there's a whole lot of negative emotion that motivates a killer, but i would think they aren't oblivious to the fact that they'll live in prision for their entire lives or die by the DP. i don't think they mind either route enough to rethink there actions. i think a greater severity of punishment/torture would change that. obviously, it would be a hard experiment to conduct, though.

baseline bum
06-19-2010, 06:55 PM
i'll have to agree to disagree then.

obivously there's a whole lot of negative emotion that motivates a killer, but i would think they aren't oblivious to the fact that they'll live in prision for their entire lives or die by the DP. i don't think they mind either route enough to rethink there actions. i think a greater severity of punishment/torture would change that. obviously, it would be a hard experiment to conduct, though.

Practically every criminal also thinks he's going to get away with it.

EmptyMan
06-19-2010, 07:01 PM
I think people argue it is a deterrent. you're wrong on that.

It's not really politically correct to say "we know it's not a deterrent, but he/she needs to die in response to their actions."